1971 C150L - High Airframe Time + Prop Strike - Good Buy?

Purdue University. Their maintenance program had replaced things like yoke u-joints and trim jackscrews SEVERAL times.
To that point.. if you ultimately replace all the critical components who's to say how old it actually is?

It's like the old adage about the axe that's been passed down in a family from generation to generation. Sure the handle and blade have been replaced several times.. but it's still the "same" axe..

The high time planes I used to fly at work were the ones over 40,000 hrs. I jumpseated on a Boeing freighter once that had 90,000. Asiana has a 74 freighter with 135,000. That would be "high time"

Were they built in 1940? Or 1970?

o that point.. if you ultimately replace all the critical components who's to say how old it actually is?
And it follows the same tack on how "critical components" are defined. From my point its the "consumable" parts that get replaced and in a perfect world that includes the rotating parts of the engine. Regardless, with high time aircraft it can conceivably still have all its original sheetmetal, interior, instruments, etc. So while a critical engine piston may be replaced due to wear, i.e., consumption, the critical wings or tail feather don't get replaced. I've had this conversation with many people over the years especially on the helicopter side when comes to high TT vs value. But with the right mindset and scenario I've seen a number of people come away with an excellent aircraft even though it had high TT.

There's an RV6 for sale on facebook for $55k... that's a lot more bang for your buck

If the OP is using this to build time I assume there will be some instruction hours involved as well. I thought the FAA recently issued a ruling about instruction hours and experimentals?

Don’t some certificated aircraft have maximum airframe limits? I thought I once read Pipers have 15,000 hours total time airframe limits? If the limit is reached then what? Can you switch it to an experimental?

Don’t some certificated aircraft have maximum airframe limits? I
Yes. But it is very specific to the aircraft model. For example, Cirrus have life limits but Cessna 172s do not.
I thought I once read Pipers have 15,000 hours total time airframe limits?
I think some Piper Malibus have a 15000 hr life limit on the wings, but I'm not sure.
If the limit is reached then what?
Normally you replace the item that is limited or follow some sort of recertification process if one exists.
Can you switch it to an experimental?
What kind of experimental? Experimental Exibition, maybe. Experimental Research & Development, sure. Experimental Amateur Built, no.

Yes. But it is very specific to the aircraft model. For example, Cirrus have life limits but Cessna 172s do not.

I think some Piper Malibus have a 15000 hr life limit on the wings, but I'm not sure.

Normally you replace the item that is limited or follow some sort of recertification process if one exists.

What kind of experimental? Experimental Exibition, maybe. Experimental Research & Development, sure. Experimental Amateur Built, no.

I read about the Piper Arrows having 15000 TT life limit. Thought that is for the airframe, not the wings.

Are people successfully changing Arrows >15000TT into any experimentals?

I read about the Piper Arrows having 15000 TT life limit.
I know of no Arrow with an Airworthiness Limitation or any other comparable small single recip regardless of OEM: Mooney, Cessna, etc. Got a reference?
Are people successfully changing Arrows >15000TT into any experimentals?
As mentioned above, what type of experimental category? There are several.

@Bell206 I thought I read this somewhere for the Piper Arrow and 15,000 hours. I cannot find this now. I did find an older article dated year 2000 with a fuselage and wing service limit. See link below. If this is true it’s very possible this was added to other aircraft since year 2000.

“For instance, the Piper Malibu PA–46-310, certified under Part 23, has a fuselage time-in-service limit of 10,145 hours. The wing time-in-service limit is 15,530 hours.”

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media... that as long as the,airframe time-in-service.

Maybe Tomahawk is what you’re thinking of

If this is true it’s very possible this was added to other aircraft since year 2000.
Not really. The determining factor is whether the aircraft is certified under Part 23 not what date. For example, Cirrus and several other "newer" aircraft were certified under Part 23 which now has a life cycle requirement on certain structural components. The Piper Malibu was another. For comparison, the Cessna T182T which is about to hit the market again will probably still retain most of its CAR3 certification and will not require any life-cycle limits. But if Cessna decides to upgrade the engine in that new 182 to a TEO-540 that new variant engine will come with an Airworthiness Limitations Section which makes the 500hr mag inspection and a couple other inspections mandatory vs previous 540s. Regardless all Piper Arrows I'm familiar with were certified under CAR3 and not Part 23 so no life-limits.

The 100 series aircraft are lifed at 30,000 hours. So it has a long way to go.

I know of examples with 27,000 hours onthem and fly an example regularly with 18,000 hours in it. I also fly an example with 4000 hours and there is no way to tell which is the highest hour example.

The 100 series aircraft are lifed at 30,000 hours. So it has a long way to go.
FYI: If you are referring to the Cessna SID limit that came out in the '90s for the 100/200 series aircraft you'll find that is not a regulatory limit but only a recommendation. No different than the overhaul recommendations put out by Lycoming and TCM and not enforceable in most cases. And if you look hard enough you'll find a number of 100/200 series aircraft still flying that are in excess of 30k to include some under 135.

IMO, A Cessna 150 is worth exactly the perceived value of the engine and the avionics.

The airframe has zero value.

Light twins are in the same boat.

IMO, A Cessna 150 is worth exactly the perceived value of the engine and the avionics.

The airframe has zero value.

Light twins are in the same boat.

Dang, that stings! But I kinda think you might be right.

Back