100LL

Here is an experiment for you Tom. Tell me how much dye by weight or volume is in a gallon of aviation fuel. I already know the answer.

How old is too old? what would be the oldest fuel you'd feel safe flying with?
Why guess. There are a number of tests available to see if the fuel meets the specs. Canada had a regulation once that gave minimum vaporization pressure levels for stored drum avgas. Most fuel distributors would test your fuel if you don't have access to a test kit. There are different specs depending on grade and type (turbine/avgas).

Here is an experiment for you Tom. Tell me how much dye by weight or volume is in a gallon of aviation fuel. I already know the answer.
OBTW that isn't an experiment that's a question. Do you know the difference?

Who cares? Do you add your own? it's in there and should still be there if the fuel evaporated out.
Yer trying to play games and missed the point again. Typical.

Look for higher that usual CHTs with old gas. All the lites will be gone leaving the heavy gum...effectively lowering the octane.

Why guess. There are a number of tests available to see if the fuel meets the specs. Canada had a regulation once that gave minimum vaporization pressure levels for stored drum avgas. Most fuel distributors would test your fuel if you don't have access to a test kit. There are different specs depending on grade and type (turbine/avgas).
Wish I knew a vender that had a test kit.
draining the fuel this morning, looks good to me, as far as looks goes.

Waste of good gas. No way that gas is 10 years old. If it is, then that tank was sealed more than tight enough to keep the gas fresh. So either way..... waste of good gas.

Look for higher that usual CHTs with old gas. All the lites will be gone leaving the heavy gum...effectively lowering the octane.
With new fuel I should see nothing out of the ordinary ?

I did notice this morning while draining the fuel that this aircraft has the new style fuel caps, and what appears to be new bags.
Nothing in the logs... ?

Waste of good gas. No way that gas is 10 years old. If it is, then that tank was sealed more than tight enough to keep the gas fresh. So either way..... waste of good gas.
Maybe, But I don't feel it is a waste when I know it is fresh fuel, we fly over a lot of very cold water, I don't take any risk I don't need to.

With new fuel I should see nothing out of the ordinary ?

I did notice this morning while draining the fuel that this aircraft has the new style fuel caps, and what appears to be new bags.
Nothing in the logs... ?

Owners are notorious for being careless with log entries printed on sticky labels that get sent home at delivery rather then placed in logbooks.

What’s it taste like?
Taste ? what's the correlation between looks and taste.

there was 39 gallons in the tank I drained today.

Nice clear blue stream.

Attachments

• RaPMsYqLRnuSbuvw3PUO6g.jpg
    RaPMsYqLRnuSbuvw3PUO6g.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Owners are notorious for being careless with log entries printed on sticky labels that get sent home at delivery rather then placed in logbooks.
The A&P-IA who was working on this A/C from day one died about 1.5 years ago. he may have changed the bags and never made an entry.

There is a possibility that the bags and fuel are less than 2 years old. but not knowing ya can't take the chance.

Back