100LL as a belly cleaner...

This may be common knowledge, and it may be common knowledge that it's a good idea or that it's a terrible idea. But I'm new and I don't know...

I've discovered that 100LL is an AWESOME solvent for belly grime. Better than anything I've used in the past and I've tested quite a few things.

Having said that, I've found a rag soaked in 100LL quickly followed by a dry, clean rag (if you don't follow with the clean rag, it streaks) works wonders.

Thinking of paint or aluminum damage.... terrible idea?

Terribly unhealthy plus it's expensive. JetA/kerosine will act exactly the same without the lead. The more a more pertinent issue though, why is your belly such a mess?

Terribly unhealthy plus it's expensive. JetA/kerosine will act exactly the same without the lead. The more a more pertinent issue though, why is your belly such a mess?

Hey....

Henning is out of jail....:thumbsup:

Gah, saw the post this morning (Tuesday) and the code is already expired. Some of us were on vacation over Labor Day!

Feeding the troll. Remind me to slap you at Gaston's next month.

Ooops, nevermind, you're bigger than me.

And you're a mod.

Double whammy!

;-)

Every time I've gotten any significant amount of gasoline on my belly, it burned :rolleyes:

I used to race AMA D37 Hare and Hounds and Big 6. I can tell you one thing..... When your pit crew doesn't tighten the cap, and miles from nowhere it pops off and VP C12 fuel is soaking your junk, there is NOTHING you can do but cry and rub dirt on your now completely naked lower half while racers fly by at warp 2. ......and you don't care what they see.

yup.....so folks bring your wimins and children indoors....:yikes::goofy::D

Naw man..... You got it all wrong. It's:

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife.........and hide yo husbands cuz they rapin erbody out here....

Feeding the troll. Remind me to slap you at Gaston's next month.

Ooops, nevermind, you're bigger than me.

And you're a mod.

Double whammy!

;-)

He's not a troll. 412 posts as an active POA member. Happens to have an aviation products business, with a product well spoken of above by another POA member, and on topic in this thread. Remind me to slap you at Gaston's next month. But only after I have my running shoes on. ;-)

And the difference between kerosene and Jet A is ???? Jet A is cheaper and available at the airport.

Assuming no Prist, Jet A is just a more tightly regulated kerosene, so everything I said should still apply. Kerosene from the pump is cheaper than Jet A, but if you're buying it in bottles, it'll be more expensive. Pump kerosene can be hard to find. (Though, oddly, there's a pump at the station just down the street. Curious what keeps it in business.)

Prist. Had to look that one up. 2-Methoxyethanol. Both an ether and an alcohol. Doesn't seem too nasty, though, to quote Wikipedia, "2-Methoxyethanol is toxic to the bone marrow and testicles."

OK, maybe avoid washing with Jet A/Prist...unless you're drunk. In which case, apparently, it's less toxic...

Everyone whining about lead needs to just shut up. The amount of lead in 100LL is so minute that you could probably eat it for years and never have any health issues.

The downside to using 100LL is that it will strip the wax off the belly, making future cleanings more difficult.

Everyone whining about lead needs to just shut up. The amount of lead in 100LL is so minute that you could probably eat it for years and never have any health issues.

The downside to using 100LL is that it will strip the wax off the belly, making future cleanings more difficult.

If you don't need your testicles anymore, then soaking your hands in 100LL is just fine. The amounts of lead required to **** you up are pretty damned low, and it accumulates. You do it enough and your liver gets ****ed as well.

As for the flammability of gasoline - my best story:

Carrying an open can of gasoline, and smoking a cigarette like an idiot. It was hanging out of my mouth as I walked and it fell from my lips to the gasoline. It went in slow motion while I panicked - I swear, I could see my life pass before my eyes, and I could watch the cigarette tumble down...down....down, and into the gasoline.

Where it promptly went out, since gasoline is not flammable, but fumes are.

Carrying an open can of gasoline, and smoking a cigarette like an idiot. It was hanging out of my mouth as I walked and it fell from my lips to the gasoline. It went in slow motion while I panicked - I swear, I could see my life pass before my eyes, and I could watch the cigarette tumble down...down....down, and into the gasoline.

What about the fumes emanating from the open cap?

UEL (as in vs. LEL)

He's not a troll. 412 posts as an active POA member. Happens to have an aviation products business, with a product well spoken of above by another POA member, and on topic in this thread. Remind me to slap you at Gaston's next month. But only after I have my running shoes on. ;-)

Thanks for that. Yeah, I've posted hundreds of times about non-detailing related topics. I share my experience in detailing planes, nearly exclusively in response to questions other people ask. The exception being holiday specials that I've posted, correctly, in the marketplace. I regularly give discounts to PoA members as a "pay it back" for the education I received here. Hell, I've sent completely free product to a few members who answered questions I asked!

Contrast that with the definition of troll from urban dictionary:

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

I'm not kidding I had a crazy mechanic show me this one time to prove it. He put about a gallon of gas in an open five gallon bucket and tossed a lit cigarette into it and it just went out like he said it would.

Still, I don't clean with gas simply because the vapors can blow you to kingdom come. :hairraise:

I've been using varsol, but last time I did it with WD-40 and it worked just as well. I haven't read the MSDS on WD-40 and may go back to varsol since that's what they've been using on my plane for fifty years with no problems. I try to not let any solvent get all over me, and use a fan to ventilate the fumes. I use nitrile gloves and keep any stuff off of me as much as possible.

You can also wipe off the excess with a rag, then use Collenite Insulator Wax to clean the rest and leave it waxed.

"Everyone whining about lead needs to just shut up. The amount of lead in 100LL is so minute that you could probably eat it for years and never have any health issues."

There are about two grams of lead per gallon of 100LL. Not so minute and if you eat it for years you will get very sick from the lead (and the hydrocarbons) and you will never recover.

Slap him once for me while your at it. I owe him one, can't remember why but that doesn't really matter.

Got my gallon jug refill of the Buddha today. Thanks for the fast shipping, free extra goodies, AND the handwritten "Thank you" BRAVO! :yes:

You're very welcome. Glad you like our products!

I once used my lap as a workbench to pull the bowl off of a motorcycle carb, clean out the gunk as best I could, and get my buddy back on the road well enough to limp home where we could do it right.

After that experience with auto gas, I'm pretty sure that I don't want 100LL all over my belly. YMMV

I once used my lap as a workbench to pull the bowl off of a motorcycle carb, clean out the gunk as best I could, and get my buddy back on the road well enough to limp home where we could do it right.

After that experience with auto gas, I'm pretty sure that I don't want 100LL all over my belly. YMMV
ya but....it took off all the grease and was as clean as a baby's arse. :yes:

Grease, hair, and a couple layers of skin...:lol:
Na...that's doubtful. :no:

I had a fuel leak event when changing out a drain with a bladder tank....and couldn't get the drain back in. Before it was all over....I was soaked in 100LL....didn't lose any hair or skin. :rolleyes2:

Na...that's doubtful. :no:

I had a fuel leak event when changing out a drain with a bladder tank....and couldn't get the drain back in. Before it was all over....I was soaked in 100LL....didn't lose any hair or skin. :rolleyes2:

Just some redness and a bit of a burn. Carb cleaner is somewhat worse on sensitive areas. The worst I have experienced is MEKP (methyl ethyl ketone peroxide) from catalyzed polyester resin. Has one incident where I spent an hour or two leaning into molds and soaked my pants er "below the waist". Rushed into the toilet with a jug of acetone and some rags to do the lesser of two evils thing.

Just some redness and a bit of a burn. Carb cleaner is somewhat worse on sensitive areas. The worst I have experienced is MEKP (methyl ethyl ketone peroxide) from catalyzed polyester resin. Has one incident where I spent an hour or two leaning into molds and soaked my pants er "below the waist". Rushed into the toilet with a jug of acetone and some rags to do the lesser of two evils thing.

AS someone who used to lay up boat molds.. All I can say is...

OUCH....:sad::sad::sad::sad:

AS someone who used to lay up boat molds.. All I can say is...

OUCH....:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Similar history, and similar response. I got that $#!7 in dry cracked skin on the backs of my hands, and that was plenty bad enough.

I also ****ed myself once while grinding fiberglass because I knew I didn't have time to decontaminate before exposing any sensitive skin. I had about 5-10 minutes remaining until the job would be done, the shop was closed, I was alone, and I too chose the lesser of two evils. After that, I joked about wearing a bag like some of the incontinent folks do, but never quite got that far.

I don't use avgas because it is so much work and then does a poor job.

Just spray "Gunk Engine Brite" on and hose it off. All you MSDS people.......don't even bother.

61o5YTyX0SL._SY355_.jpg

Well, except that it's corrosive to aluminum...I've done the test.

Last edited:
Back