100LL as a belly cleaner...

jimmyjack

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
This may be common knowledge, and it may be common knowledge that it's a good idea or that it's a terrible idea. But I'm new and I don't know...

I've discovered that 100LL is an AWESOME solvent for belly grime. Better than anything I've used in the past and I've tested quite a few things.

Having said that, I've found a rag soaked in 100LL quickly followed by a dry, clean rag (if you don't follow with the clean rag, it streaks) works wonders.

Thinking of paint or aluminum damage.... terrible idea?

Before you make a habit of using that, I'd suggest you read the MSDS. 100LL is a different formula than auto gas, and some of the chemicals in it can do nasty things to you. I was once solvent poisoned by it and it was not a pleasant experience.

Stoddard solvent/Varsol does the same thing and is less volatile. I prefer a citrus degreaser followed by clean water when I clean my own plane.

This may be common knowledge, and it may be common knowledge that it's a good idea or that it's a terrible idea. But I'm new and I don't know...

I've discovered that 100LL is an AWESOME solvent for belly grime. Better than anything I've used in the past and I've tested quite a few things.

Having said that, I've found a rag soaked in 100LL quickly followed by a dry, clean rag (if you don't follow with the clean rag, it streaks) works wonders.

Great idea! Let's take a flammable liquid and use it as a cleaner! Some people even use it in an airgun to clean the engine. Great idea, take a flammable liquid and atomise it! Wonderful concepts! Great practice from a safety point of view!

(that was total sarcasm for those without sarcasm detectors)

The fellow that I shared a hangar with for a little while thought 100LL was a great cleaning fluid. I don't share the hangar with him anymore.

Let me put it another way, have you ever been on fire?

Man, how do you guys get through the day w/o fear of killing yourselves?

(Automotive) Mechanics have been using gas as a cleaner for decades. I've bene using gas as a cleaner for decades. I siphon gas, get this, with my mouth.

And yes, I was a 240 firefighter for several years. I've sat in a burn house, in full gear during a fully engulfed fire.

I understand the *personal* risks. I was asking about the aircraft.

You can't fix stupid.

Not sure it's good for the paint,you have to get it off quickly after use. Can also cause stains if not completely removed.

Great!!!....and they make a dispenser on each side. It works great dun it? :yes:

Last edited:
I've been using Buddha Belly from Plane Perfect since I found it here on PoA a while back. Love it. Best stuff I've ever used.

A&P mechanics have been washing engines down with av-gas for generations. And yes it is not good for you, so don't drink it.

GoJo hand cleaner - without the pumice - is what those in the know use :D
Slobber it on - let it sit - wipe it off - then either hose it down or wipe a second time with wet rags.
Clean shiny dry and ready for - Blue Coral :mad2: (for those of you old enough to know what that is)

Man, how do you guys get through the day w/o fear of killing yourselves?

How do you disregard the safety of yourself, others, and any property?

We can go back-and-forth like this for days. I've learned the hard way that it is better to learn the easy way. Everyone makes their own choices and I distance myself from those that use flammable liquids improperly when there are much better options available.

For cleaning, just use Gojo. It's easy to wipe on and wipe off. A spark won't ignite it.

Great idea! Let's take a flammable liquid and use it as a cleaner! Some people even use it in an airgun to clean the engine. Great idea, take a flammable liquid and atomise it! Wonderful concepts! Great practice from a safety point of view!

The fellow that I shared a hangar with for a little while thought 100LL was a great cleaning fluid. I don't share the hangar with him anymore.

:needpics::needpics::needpics:....:D

3ukweg.jpg

Yeah so just don't light yourself on fire and keep the place well ventilated and you will be fine. At 5 bucks for a gallon of the stuff it ain't bad.

I've heard of soaking parts in kerosene, even bug & tar remover seems to be an aerosol can of kerosene, but wiping a large area of the plane down with 100LL seems to be excessive. Sure there's the risk of fire, but I'd be more concerned with the health risks. It could take years, but cancer isn't something I'd want to needlessly chance. Citrus based cleaners should cut right through grease and oil - and it's safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and ....just imagine laying "under" 80 gallons of the flammable stuff....:yikes::goofy:
3ukweg.jpg

Yeah so just don't light yourself on fire and keep the place well ventilated and you will be fine. At 5 bucks for a gallon of the stuff it ain't bad.

I would not recommend even auto gas as a cleaning solvent. It's just way too unsafe and there are tons of less volatile and dangerous petroleum solvents if you wish to use such (as already mentioned above): stoddard, kerosene, mineral spirits, etc..

I would not recommend even auto gas as a cleaning solvent. It's just way too unsafe and there are tons of less volatile and dangerous petroleum solvents if you wish to use such (as already mentioned above): stoddard, kerosene, mineral spirits, etc..

Bug & tar remover from AutoZone works nicely. Citrus based works ok but it's just a'ight for me, dog.

I've been using Buddha Belly from Plane Perfect since I found it here on PoA a while back. Love it. Best stuff I've ever used.

Excellent, thanks for that.

I saw someone mentioned Gojo and Aviation Simple Green too.

Gojo tends to leave a film behind so you're going to want to make sure your belly is clean when your done so that dirt and other filth don't stick to the film. Some people just use a bit of Wing Wipe (or other leading edge treatment) to achieve this.

Aviation Simple Green doesn't leave behind a residue, but does have a higher pH. We had some issues with it, which is what lead us to develop our products.

Anyway, our customers love Buddha Belly and keep coming back. e.g. "Well, I tried out the Buddha Belly, and it is sooo much better than the Aviation Simple Green. Thanks for setting me straight on that." http://planeperfect.us/pages/frontpage

I've created a flash sale for PoA members who want to clean their bellies before winter arrives.

Buddha Belly is here:
http://planeperfect.us/collections/all/products/bbb

Use this discount code this weekend only and get 20% off:
POABUDDHA0904

It's nuts, particular in a semi enclosed environment. Use WD 40.

Women (and males) spay flammable crap indoors every day with hair spray, cologne, perfume, aftershave (I hope every day).

Painters spray flammable crap indoors and outdoors.

Contactors spray flammable insulation, deck sealant etc etc indoors and outdoors every day.

:dunno:

There are flammable vapors coming out the fuel tank and battery vents.

Last edited:
If you're gonna use a solvent, stick with mineral spirits. It's just as effective, and won't make you stupid (i.e. no lead). Pretty cheap too.

I've created a flash sale for PoA members who want to clean their bellies before winter arrives.

Buddha Belly is here:
http://planeperfect.us/collections/all/products/bbb

Use this discount code this weekend only and get 20% off:
POABUDDHA0904

How far does 16 oz of this stuff go? i.e. will it clean the belly of an especially nasty radial engine airplane a few times at least before having to refill?

GoJo works way better. One tub will do my 185 a few times. Just slop it on, clean the rest of the plane and wash it off. For white streaks from 100LL on dark paint hopps #9 bore shine works well.

I also like Lucas spray on wax, it works well and bugs come off easier later too, also smells good.

Women (and males) spay flammable crap indoors every day with hair spray, cologne, perfume, aftershave (I hope every day).

Contactors spray flammable insulation, deck sealant etc etc indoors and outdoors every day.

...and you even get flammable vapors coming out of your bung hole.

A small volume of perfume, etc. is nothing. Yes, the propellant and contents are flammable. Release the nozzle and the flame stops. Cleaning an engine or wiping the belly is an entirely different circumstance.

Paints are generally less volatile than gas. Most are water based these days.
Insulation is flammable? ummm, usually not. They are specifically designed to not support combustion. If they are combustible, are they as volatile as gas?

And you know better than to compare a tank or battery vent to using gas as a cleaning fluid. Or maybe you don't. Unless there is a major disturbance the vapors aren't at a combustible concentration.

If people want to argue that using gas as a cleaner is safe, go right ahead and do so. You are just kidding yourself and perhaps a few others.

GoJo works way better. One tub will do my 185 a few times. Just slop it on, clean the rest of the plane and wash it off.

Where do you guys find the GoJo without pumice? Can't say I've ever seen it in the big box stores, and amazon looks to only have the pumice variety as well.

I've always used the Wash Wax All "Red" for the bellly, and it works great. They even have a degreaser, but I never had to use it.

How far does 16 oz of this stuff go? i.e. will it clean the belly of an especially nasty radial engine airplane a few times at least before having to refill?

One of our founders flies a Cessna 195 and one bottle will clean the belly 2-5 times depending on the filth level.

One important tip is to let the formula work for you. Spray it on, go do something else for a few minutes and then wipe it off. Use plenty of clean towels too, instead of trying to stretch the towels.

Here's a video with many of our products: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eCVGkKDtXk

Last edited:
If you absolutely, positively need gasoline to clean something, buy a can of petroleum naphtha at Ace. Gas without the additives.

Petroleum as a solvent for petroleum?

Yes, it works very well.

It's also a terrible idea. Lead has been mentioned. So have volatiles. What hasn't been mentioned is what happens to a gasoline soaked rag. It's a fire hazard long after the plane is clean, and under some conditions, can spontaneously combust.

Gasoline leaves deposits behind. Some of us have spent way too much time scrubbing tiny carburetor passages to get that gunk out. There are cleaners designed for the purpose that work as well.

Gasoline will only burn in a relatively narrow mixture range, somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-18% by weight. Most of the time, you'll be outside it, just by chance. The one time you're not will be a bad day.

Where do you guys find the GoJo without pumice? Can't say I've ever seen it in the big box stores, and amazon looks to only have the pumice variety as well.

Always been able to find it at NAPA, sometimes it gets buried under the other ones

Well, one difference from the above examples (except the last) is that you have lots more of the same stuff nearby - like, maybe 60 gallons more.

And actually it's the vapors from the tank that are likeliest to start the explosion going, though spraying it might transport a larger quantity of the stuff closer to a flame or spark source.

But personally, the reason I wouldn't use it for that purpose is I don't like organic solvents in my system, and above all I don't care for tetraethyl lead. I haven't quite mastered the art of avoiding all contact while sumping the tanks, but that's a momentary exposure. Best to keep it to a minimum.

Last edited:
Back