100LL as a belly cleaner...

He's not a troll. 412 posts as an active POA member. Happens to have an aviation products business, with a product well spoken of above by another POA member, and on topic in this thread. Remind me to slap you at Gaston's next month. But only after I have my running shoes on. ;-)

You know...

I would agree with you whole heartedly if it was a simple case of a vendor promoting their own product in an appropriate thread. But (IMO) the line is crossed when negative statements are made about competing products. Especially when (IMO) those statements are patently false. In this case:

Gojo tends to leave a film behind so you're going to want to make sure your belly is clean when your done so that dirt and other filth don't stick to the film.

I've cleaned my belly with GoJo for years and it's amazing how I've never noticed a film that collects future dirt. There is nothing easier and better than GoJo for cleaning a belly.

It's similar to what Shane used to do...running around the forum bad mouthing Lightspeed and Bose. I was hard on him in those days too. He's learned to let his own product stand on its own merits and, for that, I respect him. I will now buy his product if the need arises. I wouldn't before.

And until 412 learns this like Shane did, he's off of my list.

Well, I finished up my condition inspection and cleaned the belly of my RV-10 with gas and I & the plane survived. :eek: :yes:

I estimate the amount of gas needed to clean the belly was less than 1/2 cup over a period of 10 mins. That is not going to produce enough vapors with the hangar door open and the wind blowing to cause any troubles except with the worry wart crowd here. :rolleyes:

Gas makes a great solvent if you are careful.

Last edited:
I did not read this iteration of cleaning with avgas (but have been part of past ones).
Just wanted to say I cleaned parts with.......MEK and lacquer thinner today. No self-immolation yet. (I think those have a lower flash point, overall ignitability compared to avgas, let me know)

Engine Brite has been used by millions of hot rodders on millions of theis custom cars on their aluminum manifolds for 7 decades.

If it didn't work or if it "etched" (thanks for the BS Henning) their engines there would be a howl of outcry.

What I find hilarious about this thread is the ridiculous, life threatening, substances that pilots will use.........................even when they are HARD WORK (GoJo)..............EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE (100LL)...............when Engine Brite is fast, easy, harmless. Spray it on, hose it off, go have a beer!

Cleaned my Arrow's injectors yesterday with Hoppe's #9 and rinsed with avgas. Did not explode.

Some people even use it in an airgun to clean the engine. Great idea, take a flammable liquid and atomise it! Wonderful concepts!

Works great, cheaper than alternatives, haven't blown myself up yet...but yeah..it always feels like an incredibly silly thing to do...just so convenient..and not likely to stop anytime soon. I guess I'm not that bright :)

I don't do it with 100LL however, costs too much, and don't like the lead. Mogas works fine.

Last edited:
Wait.....I'm so doing that. I could get at least a 10-15 foot flame outta that. :yikes::yes::goofy:
Great idea! Let's take a flammable liquid and use it as a cleaner! Some people even use it in an airgun to clean the engine. Great idea, take a flammable liquid and atomise it! Wonderful concepts! Great practice from a safety point of view!

(that was total sarcasm for those without sarcasm detectors)

The fellow that I shared a hangar with for a little while thought 100LL was a great cleaning fluid. I don't share the hangar with him anymore.

Let me put it another way, have you ever been on fire?

Now...back to the issue at hand, cleaning your belly. Just take a clean rag and a lil dab of 100LL on it to disolve the oily residue......wipe, then wipe away with a clean dry rag.

Works in minutes....no fuss, no muss. Easy Peasy....and most have a 25-40 gallon dispenser at each wing.:yes:

Please be safe.....and extinguish all tobacco products. Lit Lucky Strikes could cause one to go Kaboom. :nono:

Last edited:
GoJo just leave a sticky mess.

I guess that might be true if you don't know the proper technique.

Smear a tub of it on the belly with a handful of paper towels (I lay on a creeper), wash the rest of the plane. Brush the belly off with a long handled car wash brush last.

Done.

It really doesn't get any simpler than this and it cleans the belly spotless. No film, no residue. Just a spotless belly.

About the only thing I might have to touch up is to hit exhaust stains right behind the exhaust pipe with Aviation Simple Green if it's been longer than normal since my last cleaning.

Now, if you don't wash your plane at least 4 times a year like I do...then I can't comment on the efficacy of ANY cleaner.

Last edited:
Mine must be coming by hot air balloon. Still waiting.

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. We had a couple promotions running that were more successful than expected and are simply behind schedule. We anticipate all outstanding orders will be shipped by tomorrow (Tuesday) night and are taking steps to not get overrun again.

It's great that people are liking our products, and we just didn't do a good enough job of anticipating demand this time around. Not exactly unprecedented in a young company, but still not right and I (and the rest) do apologize and understand that peoples expectations in modern times is that shipping will be within 24 hours.

PlanePerfect sent me an email today about their black friday sale, which reminded me that I have a referral code. So if anyone is thinking about getting gifts for their pilots friends use this. You get a discount and I get free stuff: http://planeperfect.refr.cc/HGXB8T3

It's similar to what Shane used to do...running around the forum bad mouthing Lightspeed and Bose. I was hard on him in those days too. He's learned to let his own product stand on its own merits and, for that, I respect him. I will now buy his product if the need arises. I wouldn't before.

:rofl:

;)

Well, okay, so he's significantly regressed and thus you can ignore my "and, for that, I respct him" statement.

Apparently it was just a temporary thing...

I get free stuff if you buy things from my code. Isn't that how all referral programs work?

Back