100LL as a belly cleaner...

"To the OP, don't wash your plane with 100LL, it's dangerous, stupid and you should know better. Ask me how I know."

How do you know?

"Oh, I purposely started a fire using it."

And not just you, but apparently two more stories similar to yours.

a guy can prepare for dangerous. it's harder to protect yourself from stupid.

"To the OP, don't wash your plane with 100LL, it's dangerous, stupid and you should know better. Ask me how I know."

How do you know?

Just retelling a story. I would say that using fuel for something other than its intended purpose is a bad idea (especially now). I'm on the side of use something meant for cleaning to clean your plane.

I also wouldn't want the stuff off a washed plane in my driveway or yard or water and I think that stuff doesn't just evaporate and should be disposed of properly. YMMV opinions etc

How do you know?

Do you really think you can control all possible iignition sources every time you chose to use gas as a cleaning fluid?

Now remember the consequences of failure to do so...

Knowing how little of the 100LL will go down the drain, it is better for the ecosystem than using soap and water and allowing all those contaminates entering the ecosystem.

How will you dispose of the rags use is another question.

To the OP. Some one posted something to the effect that you may be lucky for years with 100LL but the day that you aren't lucky is a very bad day. I can confirm that from my experience.

At age 72 (many years of mis-using gasoline, including 100LL) with no bad experiences, my bad day happened. Two months off work, months longer of limited duty, and skin grafts on my hands and arms with lasting scaring. If you are going to use avgas this way, at least make sure that you are outdoors, that there is a breeze, and that the breeze is blowing the fumes away from you.

I am still amazed by how much more sensitive human skin is than clothing. I was in the middle of an intense fire for a few seconds without protective (Fireman) clothing. I am still using the straw hat and trousers I was wearing. I threw the shirt away because it was stiff from the melted and fused plastic content, no discoloration. A piece of paper in my shirt pocket was smouldering.

If I had been wearing long sleeves and gloves, I would have had no injuries on my arms and hands.

My face looked like hell for awhile but healed. I'm a little disapointed because now, I have no ecuse for being ugly.

If there are products that essentially accomplish the purpose as well without the risk, why not use them.

If you want to keep using 100LL, all I can say is that stupid can't be fixed.
You left out the worst part of all. The excruciating pain and agony to be endured due to the conflagration. Which can easilly be prevented, by using something else that's not quite as volitile.

Knowing how little of the 100LL will go down the drain, it is better for the ecosystem than using soap and water and allowing all those contaminates entering the ecosystem.

But it isn't better than the alternatives which don't include soap and water. Sorry.

I am sorry that you didn't point out the alternatives which are much better and safer than 100LL.

Simply because I don't know all of them or how well they work.

I simply use a spray and wipe, and microfiber towels and re-wax.

Since several of you have bought some, I thought I would just remind everyone that this POA special ends at midnight.

We have a classifieds section you know.

GoJo works better anyway and is far cheaper.

Last edited:
Using gas to clean anything is a bonehead move. Take it from a bonehead who did it and had the gas explode in their face. Just lucky I had my shirt off. The doctor told me all my skin would have came off if they had to remove a shirt. I have never used anything flammable after doing this. I learned a big lesson. Things we do when we are young. Amazing most of us survived this time.

I've followed this thread and wonder how any of the environmentally/safety conscience pilots can get their airplane off the ground?

It is not possible to fly without polluting the environment. It isn't possible to safely fly without exposing one's self or others to the lead or explosion hazard in sump gasoline.

It's a wonder that we allow ourselves to fly at all, much less clean our aircraft by any means!

Polluters....sheesh where does all that spent fuel go?....gallons and gallons:D

I've followed this thread and wonder how any of the environmentally/safety conscience pilots can get their airplane off the ground?

It is not possible to fly without polluting the environment. It isn't possible to safely fly without exposing one's self or others to the lead or explosion hazard in sump gasoline.

It's a wonder that we allow ourselves to fly at all, much less clean our aircraft by any means!
This.

I wash my car (never my plane) with soap and water at my hangar every other week. I guess I'm going to jail.

I sump my tanks, and toss it on the tarmac if there's any particulate matter. Think of the children!

I spill oil on the floor of the hangar at every oil change, no matter how hard I try. I should be on the EPA's superfund cleanup list.

Before I had a hangar with a bathroom, I peed behind my hangars thousands of times. Think of the contamination!

I'm always astonished at the level of concern given to this sort of trivial stuff, while we have so many glaring examples of real problems in our society. Including real, damaging examples of actual environmental pollution.

Here's a great article that, IMHO, helps to explain this phenomenon: http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-common-cognitive-biases-that-prevent-you-from-being-rational

Last edited:

Melodramatic much?

Using gas to clean anything is a bonehead move. Take it from a bonehead who did it and had the gas explode in their face. Just lucky I had my shirt off. The doctor told me all my skin would have came off if they had to remove a shirt. I have never used anything flammable after doing this. I learned a big lesson. Things we do when we are young. Amazing most of us survived this time.
Must have been in the 70's. Yes it's true with polyester, rayon, nylon,etc. Reason I wear 100% natural fiber, cotton or wool.

Melodramatic much?[/QUOTE

dramatic irony.......:D

i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē/
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
"“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism
"that note of irony in her voice"
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
plural noun: ironies
"the irony is that I thought he could help me"
synonyms: paradox, incongruity, incongruousness
"the irony of the situation"
a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
noun: dramatic irony

Why is it that every product that cleans well, is bad for our health? I'm a believer in what doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

Man, how do you guys get through the day w/o fear of killing yourselves?

(Automotive) Mechanics have been using gas as a cleaner for decades. I've bene using gas as a cleaner for decades. I siphon gas, get this, with my mouth.

And yes, I was a 240 firefighter for several years. I've sat in a burn house, in full gear during a fully engulfed fire.

I understand the *personal* risks. I was asking about the aircraft.

Statistically, firefighters die younger and cancer rates are through the roof...... Jes sayin:rolleyes:

Excellent, thanks for that.

I saw someone mentioned Gojo and Aviation Simple Green too.

Gojo tends to leave a film behind so you're going to want to make sure your belly is clean when your done so that dirt and other filth don't stick to the film. Some people just use a bit of Wing Wipe (or other leading edge treatment) to achieve this.

Aviation Simple Green doesn't leave behind a residue, but does have a higher pH. We had some issues with it, which is what lead us to develop our products.

Anyway, our customers love Buddha Belly and keep coming back. e.g. "Well, I tried out the Buddha Belly, and it is sooo much better than the Aviation Simple Green. Thanks for setting me straight on that." http://planeperfect.us/pages/frontpage

I've created a flash sale for PoA members who want to clean their bellies before winter arrives.

Buddha Belly is here:
http://planeperfect.us/collections/all/products/bbb

Use this discount code this weekend only and get 20% off:
POABUDDHA0904

Not gonna lie...... I take every word written by a commercial seller as meh..... But nice shot at capitalizing on a post to profess about how your stuff is so much better than the rest. If it speaks for it's self, let it roll. But quoting up positive postings only to wave the banner is tacky.

Not gonna lie...... I take every word written by a commercial seller as meh..... But nice shot at capitalizing on a post to profess about how your stuff is so much better than the rest. If it speaks for it's self, let it roll. But quoting up positive postings only to wave the banner is tacky.
I thought that, too. I will specifically not buy his product after he spammed in this thread. Really?

Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet. On motorcycles, the standard chain cleaner (recommended by the manufacturers) has always been kerosene. If it can get a motorcycle chain clean (and it does!), it should make quick work of anything on the belly of a plane. Any reason to not use it? Seems ideal:

* It's cheap.
* It's easy to find.
* While still flammable, it's far less volatile than gas or even WD-40.
* It's relatively safe. No lead or other nasties that are in gas.
* Highly effective.
* Safe on paint.
* Safe on synthetic rubbers. (Which is why the chain makers recommend it...won't mess up the O-rings in the chain.)
* Safe on plastic.

What's not to love? Well, you need a drip pan, since it's not as volatile as gas, it will drip off the surface. While clean kerosene won't stain, the dirty kerosene will stain concrete. It's a bit smelly. That's about it.

Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet. On motorcycles, the standard chain cleaner (recommended by the manufacturers) has always been kerosene. If it can get a motorcycle chain clean (and it does!), it should make quick work of anything on the belly of a plane. Any reason to not use it? Seems ideal:

* It's cheap.
* It's easy to find.
* Highly effective.
* Safe on paint.
* Safe on synthetic rubbers. (Which is why the chain makers recommend it...won't mess up the O-rings in the chain.)
* Safe on plastic.

What's not to love? Well, you need a drip pan, since it's not as volatile as gas, it will drip off the surface. While clean kerosene won't stain, the dirty kerosene will stain concrete. It's a bit smelly. That's about it.

What do you do with your old kerosene?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another great alternative IMHO....but, the logistics are more indepth....vs. reaching over to the dispenser and grabbing a dab for the rag. :goofy::D

* It's cheap.
* It's easy to find.
* Highly effective.
* Safe on paint.
* Safe on plastic.

Every time I've gotten any significant amount of gasoline on my belly, it burned :rolleyes:

I love their products, so let me just defend them by saying that he was responding to my post and giving direct responses to questions people had raised. And he did exactly as you suggest and gave a discount so that people could try it and let it stand on its own. Seemed legit, but then I'm already a fan so...

Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet. On motorcycles, the standard chain cleaner (recommended by the manufacturers) has always been kerosene.

And the difference between kerosene and Jet A is ???? Jet A is cheaper and available at the airport.

Excellent, thanks for that.

I saw someone mentioned Gojo and Aviation Simple Green too.

Gojo tends to leave a film behind so you're going to want to make sure your belly is clean when your done so that dirt and other filth don't stick to the film. Some people just use a bit of Wing Wipe (or other leading edge treatment) to achieve this.

Aviation Simple Green doesn't leave behind a residue, but does have a higher pH. We had some issues with it, which is what lead us to develop our products.

Anyway, our customers love Buddha Belly and keep coming back. e.g. "Well, I tried out the Buddha Belly, and it is sooo much better than the Aviation Simple Green. Thanks for setting me straight on that." http://planeperfect.us/pages/frontpage

I've created a flash sale for PoA members who want to clean their bellies before winter arrives.

Buddha Belly is here:
http://planeperfect.us/collections/all/products/bbb

Use this discount code this weekend only and get 20% off:
POABUDDHA0904

Gah, saw the post this morning (Tuesday) and the code is already expired. Some of us were on vacation over Labor Day!

Back