100 hour wonders.... amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first thing I tell my kids when they get in the car for their initial driving lesson is: "This car can kill you. This car can kill other people. You must respect those two factors above all." That goes doubly, triply, quadruply so for airplanes.

It's truly amazing to me that anyone could be arrogant about flying.

You're new here, aren't you? :)

Was just thinking about a fellow that parked in the row behind me in Juneau he had a Piper twin. Well he took 2 friends for a ride. It sounded like he shut one of the engines off to demonstrate how to restart the engine in flight. Battery was low and it would not start the engine. Instead of flying 20 miles to Haines, AK and land on a 5000ft runway he chose a beach. Stalled right at the water line. Crashed killing himself and the other front seat occupant. Incoming tide was threatening the rear seat passenger, folks saw it and brought a tractor out to drag plane further up the beach. They got the passenger out and to the hospital.

Sad story for sure. Nice guy, but he took to many risks one to many times..:(

Personally, I don't give two ****s what someone else thinks of my abilities. The only person who is more critical of me than myself is probably my wife. However, if someone is willing and able to offer constructive advice, I am always willing to listen regardless of what it's about. I find that the older I get, the dumber I was. The most effective way for me to learn has been to get out there and make mistakes.

Personally I take great prid in the fact that I am way under 100 hours, yet acting like a 100-hour-guy !!

I must be special.

I once got a resume from a guy that claimed... "Although I only have 500 hours total time, I fly like a 1000 hour pilot".
I've heard that 1000 hours is a dangerous time, because that's a time when pilots are likely to become complacent. ;)

I once got a resume from a guy that claimed... "Although I only have 500 hours total time, I fly like a 1000 hour pilot".

So what hour pilot does he fly like when he gets to 1,000 hours?

Certainly, not all experience is created equal, but you only have as many hours as you have. The differentiators are what matter to point out.

I've heard that 1000 hours is a dangerous time, because that's a time when pilots are likely to become complacent. ;)
Come to think of it, the instructor I heard this from may have said that pilots become less complacent at around 1000 hours, because on reflection I'm pretty sure I heard him say that by that time, we've usually had an emergency or two.

Come to think of it, the instructor I heard this from may have said that pilots become less complacent at around 1000 hours, because on reflection I'm pretty sure I heard him say that by that time, we've usually had an emergency or two.

True, but with that can also come a feeling of overconfidence. Everyone's different.

Those first few hundred hours, especially after you gain a few ratings, it's easy to think you're pretty cool. And rightfully so - we're pilots! ;) But the learning never stops.

I added up my logbook and I just passed the 3,000 hour mark over the weekend. I'm still "new" to turbines (about 325 hours) and the MU-2 (about 225 hours). At 100 hours it's hard to grasp the fact that you can still be new to a plane with only 100 hours in it.

True, but with that can also come a feeling of overconfidence. Everyone's different.

Those first few hundred hours, especially after you gain a few ratings, it's easy to think you're pretty cool. And rightfully so - we're pilots! ;) But the learning never stops.

I've gone through periods of complacency, and I gone through periods of the opposite (in the sense of lacking self-confidence).

I added up my logbook and I just passed the 3,000 hour mark over the weekend. I'm still "new" to turbines (about 325 hours) and the MU-2 (about 225 hours). At 100 hours it's hard to grasp the fact that you can still be new to a plane with only 100 hours in it.

You have me beat by 135 hours!

Reactions: Ted
Check this: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20040191539.pdf

I don't think it's just 100 hr pilots.. most pilots tend to be very self assured and confident. The difference is the 100 hr guy doesn't have much experience to back it up, while the 10,000 hr guy does.. but knowing he's a 10,000 hr pilot he does run the risk of complacency. Proficiency and recency of and type of experience is more important than raw hours. I'd rather fly with the 500 hr guy who earned that in the last 3 years and most of his flying is long XC and on a relatively fixed schedule than the guy with 2,000 hrs but earned that over the past 30 years and who's flying consts of 1 hr burger runs and local pattern and sight seeing

Interestingly the NASA research study above showed that the highest scores were:
-assertive
-competent
-achievement striving
^^I'd say those are pretty solid traits for flying, but also ones that cat make someone see cocky or over confident

Lowest score by comparison was "vulnerability" ...

Pilots are a lot like controllers in the sense of confidence and self assurance. As a watch supervisor and tower CTO (control tower operator) examiner for the last 27 years, the controllers that I'm concerned about the most are the ones who think "they got it" and can handle anything that comes their way. This may surprise a few of you as many would think that is what someone wants in a controller. I'll say it again, the ones that concern me the most are the ones that think they can do it all.

I'm more comfortable with controllers that are humble and continue to learn after they've received their plastic card. (just the one pilots get but states "Air Traffic Controller" on it) Just like the pilot's, it is a license to learn and after only a year or so in training, new controllers have a lot to learn. I'm more comfortable with the controller is is unafraid to turn to the watch supervisor on duty and says, "I may need a little help as it looks like we're about to be busy." I've made the mistake of trusting the controller who has that "I've got this" and focused my attention to the other positions in the tower only to hear that dreaded ATC phrase, "I've lost the picture." and then I have to bail them out because I had a false sense of trust because of their attitude.

I've flown with pilots with thousands of hours that have concerned me with how they operate their aircraft. I've flown with lower time pilots who know what they're doing and make me feel very comfortable. It really doesn't matter how many hours one has in the books, it depends upon the individual and how they go about the task.

Last edited:
I'm very sporadic on doing so, but I (try to) keep a journal in which I write down things I did wrong or could improve upon after a flight. Call it a self-debriefing. The sporadic part is that I usually do it when I really want to change or fix something rather than every flight..

Pilots are a lot like controllers in the sense of confidence and self assurance. As a watch supervisor and tower CTO (control tower operator) examiner for the last 27 years, the controllers that I'm concerned about the most are the ones who think "they got it" and can handle anything that comes their way. This may surprise a few of you as many would think that is what someone wants in a controller. I'll say it again, the ones that concern me the most are the ones that think they can do it all.

I'm more comfortable with controllers that are humble and continue to learn after they've received their plastic card. (just the one pilots get but states "Air Traffic Controller" on it) Just like the pilot's, it is a license to learn and after only a year or so in training, new controllers have a lot to learn. I'm more comfortable with the controller is is unafraid to turn to the watch supervisor on duty and says, "I may need a little help as it looks like we're about to be busy." I've made the mistake of trusting the controller who has that "I've got this" and focused my attention to the other positions in the tower only to hear that dreaded ATC phrase, "I've lost the picture." and then I have to bail them out because I had a false sense of trust because of their attitude.

I've flown with pilots with thousands of hours that have concerned me with how they operate their aircraft. I've flown with lower time pilots who know what they're doing and make me feel very comfortable. It really doesn't matter how many hours one has in the books, it depends upon the individual and how they go about the task.

Interesting phrase, "I've lost the picture", does this mean lost situational awareness?

Interesting phrase, "I've lost the picture", does this mean lost situational awareness?
Hate it when that happens. If it’s a VFR tower, might be a good idea to exit the airspace and wait for the dust to settle.

Saw that happen in a radar room, great that it was a 2 man team and his teammate was able to hold back traffic inbound to the sector while things got back under control. Puts a lot of pressure on the surrounding sectors, but no one wants an incident to happen and everyone steps up. Best thing the IFR pilot can do is shut up, listen and comply.

I worked the scopes for a few years before I had an opportunity at a flying career.

Reminds me of a cousin who was a pilot for a major airline for many years. He had a very high opinion of himself, but on the other hand his favorite saying was "A man has to know his limitations."

Just.....

47:00 mark to enjoy the finale of this “flight”.

Just.....

47:00 mark to enjoy the finale of this “flight”.

Looks like the video was pulled, but I think I know which one you are referencing here, I saw full deflection above on the gp, 1/2 deflection on the approach path and 2000+ fpm down to the runway. Can't judge minimums from the video. I don't understand why someone would not spend a few hours with an instructor and straighten that stuff out.

I'm very sporadic on doing so, but I (try to) keep a journal in which I write down things I did wrong or could improve upon after a flight. Call it a self-debriefing. The sporadic part is that I usually do it when I really want to change or fix something rather than every flight..

This is a good idea. I did this for every single flight during training. I should probably restart.

A little late to the thread, but figured I would throw in my story. On the flight that I passed 100 hours, my instructor and I almost landed on the wrong runway. Got on short final and tower said, "Want to land on runway x that I cleared you for or Y that you're lined up with?" We then almost busted the bravo shelf above during the touch and go because the pattern altitude was 800 AGL and then made a full stop when cleared for touch and go--we both said lets just get on the ground before we do something really dumb. My instructor made a call to the tower and they just told him to be careful, but we both felt really dumb. Learned a lot of lessons that flight though. I always bugged the runway heading for landings, but approach and tower had assigned three different runways so I guess the third time I forgot to. Then tower said "Verify making a right base for runway X", which should have been our clue that he saw something different (he had radar) so we should have asked what do you see. And lastly, we both got very distracted from the runway incident that we got behind the airplane and didn't think about the nonstandard TPA. I don't think it was 100 hour complacency, but it was more of one domino falling and everything else cascading after that.

I do as well since a good critique can be quite revealing and helps avoid complacency. However, I know some pilots who put that kind of information in their EFB or electronic log book. Not sure that is a good place to capture that information in the event of an incident or accident. I can easily see an insurance company demanding that data or worse the NTSB or a plaintiff’s lawyer.

Somebody captured it for posterity.

https://streamable.com/usuwo

According to his passenger he did a great job! Every one of his flights seems to be between Oakland and Auburn, if it wasn’t for his flying they would get boring. In another video he goes through some clouds, some occasional chop, and then reports he’s in moderate turbulence?

Tom

I do as well since a good critique can be quite revealing and helps avoid complacency. However, I know some pilots who put that kind of information in their EFB or electronic log book. Not sure that is a good place to capture that information in the event of an incident or accident. I can easily see an insurance company demanding that data or worse the NTSB or a plaintiff’s lawyer.
They (particularly a plaintiff's lawyer) can theoretically demand that data even if it's kept separately. But I agree ones logbook is not the place for it.

Somebody captured it for posterity.

https://streamable.com/usuwo

It's back up on youtube, although the part with the closeup of the PFD with the glide slope diamond pegged at the bottom, 1/2 deflection of the cdi to the right and 2000 fpm descent to the runway is no longer in the video and comments are disabled. People are commenting on his last video about this one saying what a great job he did. I guess he does have some skills recovering from that approach, but that was closer than I'd ever want to get to a bad outcome.

It's back up on youtube, although the part with the closeup of the PFD with the glide slope diamond pegged at the bottom, 1/2 deflection of the cdi to the right and 2000 fpm descent to the runway is no longer in the video and comments are disabled. People are commenting on his last video about this one saying what a great job he did. I guess he does have some skills recovering from that approach, but that was closer than I'd ever want to get to a bad outcome.
If you watch Jerry long enough, you can see he's a pretty good VFR stick. Horrible risk management and a sense of invulnerability, but handles stick and rudder pretty well when he an see out the window.

IFR though, "some skills" would mean not getting into that situation repeatedly when flying the same approaches (he regularly flies between Auburn and Okaland). Get him into an unfamiliar IFR environment and it gets worse. If you have't seen them, there are others. Another one which disappeared after a while was this approach into OAK. I managed to do a screen grab of the moment he broke out of the clouds to use as a teaching tool.

There was an even worse one I missed.

JerryAnnotated.jpg

Didn't he have a problem with his new auto pilot on that one? He should have gone missed but decided to save it in since he had some visual contact with the ground? Not making any excuses by the way.

Last edited:
And people on here continue to say that autopilots don't cause bad pilots. He's an example of why you should always hand fly when you can, instead of pushing a button and being...well...that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back