100 hour wonders.... amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
I find most every student pilot here is truly trying to absorb knowledge from others.
Once they get their PPL, they are submissive, yet are proud of their accomplishment as they should be. They usually go on to say this is their license to learn, Yada yada, blah blah.
Then they hit about a whooping 100 hrs and think they know everything, and will argue 20,000 hour ATP guys. Correct, aq
Yeah, we don’t know all the exact 91 rules you may know, but believe me, we know the real world a whole lot better than you.

Trust me young boy, you know very little about aviation.

I’m certain this will be turned into a ragging in Kritch thread.

That said, I’m standing my ground.

297.jpg

I felt really proud as a 150 hr IR rated pilot, and as I used my saratoga to travel I felt pretty good for several years. Then I scared myself a few times, inadvertently found some ice, had some equipment failures, and started to feel a little sheepish. Stopped flying as much and put some stricter personal limits on myself and definitely tighter limits on flying with the family on board. Upgraded to the 310 and, while I got very comfortable, I started realizing that I still had much to learn about flying "well". Flew nearly 300 hours in one year and was feeling *REALLY* good, and then I lost an engine above a deck in icing conditions. I handled it ok and landed safely*, but upon further reflection realized that I was only a few degrees below a helmet fire that might've put me in a bad place. Upgraded to the Conquest and have had many rounds of simulator training and time with "pros". I feel like I fly very well and am confident in my knowledge of the system and the aircraft. The only thing I'm absolutely certain of as I approach the ripe old age of 43, have 1,700 hours and fly a very capable airframe.....is that I have a lot yet to learn.

YMMV,

Eggman
Who continues to dream of a CJ but also thinks there are a bunch of over confident curmudgeons in this game
*Shout out to @Ted DuPuis

As the old saying goes, "You can have 100 hrs, or you can have 1 hr 100 times."

Or there was that one guy I knew that had 1 flight sim hr 100 times. I wanted to throw him out of the airplane one night.

As the old saying goes, "You can have 100 hrs, or you can have 1 hr 100 times."

Or there was that one guy I knew that had 1 flight sim hr 100 times. I wanted to throw him out of the airplane one night.
I've had the same darned hour one too many times ... I even quit logging them.

I felt really proud as a 150 hr IR rated pilot, and as I used my saratoga to travel I felt pretty good for several years. Then I scared myself a few times, inadvertently found some ice, had some equipment failures, and started to feel a little sheepish. Stopped flying as much and put some stricter personal limits on myself and definitely tighter limits on flying with the family on board. Upgraded to the 310 and, while I got very comfortable, I started realizing that I still had much to learn about flying "well". Flew nearly 300 hours in one year and was feeling *REALLY* good, and then I lost an engine above a deck in icing conditions. I handled it ok and landed safely*, but upon further reflection realized that I was only a few degrees below a helmet fire that might've put me in a bad place. Upgraded to the Conquest and have had many rounds of simulator training and time with "pros". I feel like I fly very well and am confident in my knowledge of the system and the aircraft. The only thing I'm absolutely certain of as I approach the ripe old age of 43, have 1,700 hours and fly a very capable airframe.....is that I have a lot yet to learn.

YMMV,

Eggman
Who continues to dream of a CJ but also thinks there are a bunch of over confident curmudgeons in this game
Love your post, and your sincerity.

Didn’t the killing zone say it was the 500ish hr pilots who were the worst in that regard?

Oh boy, here comes the Killing Zone debate

I find most every student pilot here is truly trying to absorb knowledge from others.
Once they get their PPL, they are submissive, yet are proud of their accomplishment as they should be. They usually go on to say this is their license to learn, Yada yada, blah blah.
Then they hit about a whooping 100 hrs and think they know everything, and will argue 20,000 hour ATP guys. Correct, aq
Yeah, we don’t know all the exact 91 rules you may know, but believe me, we know the real world a whole lot better than you.

I'm standin' right there with ya.

Nothing I hate worse than a private pilot that wants to sit right seat to me, then starts asking questions about why I do things the way I do. I have around 7000 hours in the bush and I never bent any sheet metal. Although once a pickup ran into my plane after I shut down, and another time a fork lift slid on the ice and hit the tail.

Nothing I hate worse than a private pilot that wants to sit right seat to me, then starts asking questions about why I do things the way I do. I have around 7000 hours in the bush and I never bent any sheet metal. Although once a pickup ran into my plane after I shut down, and another time a fork lift slid on the ice and hit the tail.

Wait what? You don’t like it when someone with less experience than you asks why you do things the way that you do (in a way which allows them to learn from YOU)?

Can’t say I’ve heard that one before.

YMMV,

Eggman

Don't give me too much credit, I just gave you some scenarios to help you figure out things you could already do. I think your conclusion about having a lot yet to learn is applicable to us all.

I think there are essentially two aspects to flying. The first one is stick and rudder, the second is the mental game. The stick and rudder goes up pretty quickly over the first 50-100 hours (after all, most of us solo around 10 hours and can pass our private by 50), and then plateaus. When we move into different aircraft (especially if there's something new, novel, more challenging) we tend to get a bit more, but personally I feel by 1,000 hours I was pretty well plateaued on that and it's gotten notably better between then and now (3,000 hours).

The second part is the mental game. Unlike the stick and rudder, this is something that, if you're paying attention (some people don't), should be continuing to go up the whole time in a more linear fashion. I still learn something every time I fly, whether it's learning about altitude flying, engine characteristics, the aircraft type I'm flying, the particular serial number aircraft i'm flying that day, weather, checklists, flows, etc.

Wait what? You don’t like it when someone with less experience than you asks why you do things the way that you do (in a way which allows them to learn from YOU)?

This is why I don’t even acknowledge the FOs. They only speak when spoken to and address me as master.

I often feel the same way about the private pilot plane owner who might do some preventative maintenance and even owner assisted annuals who then think they know more than an A&P/IA who has been fixing airplanes for nearly 40 years and has worked on planes ranging from single engine Cessnas to wide body airliners. I also get a bit miffed when an ATP questions my aviation knowledge or my right to have an opinion just because I only have about 500 hours as a pilot even though that experience coupled with my maintenance knowledge and regulatory knowledge does make me a bit more knowledgeable than your average bear. I just think it's best though not to get to excited about all of it. We all still have much to learn.

o_Oo_O

Shouldn't be anything wrong with a private pilot asking questions and trying to understand and learn from why you do things the way you do. I think I know what you were trying to say, perhaps you didn't phrase it quite clearly? ;)

As for the macro-theme of the OP, isn't there a pretty irrefutable correlation from the FAA accident stats about total time and time-on-type? I seem to remember years ago reading somewhere these were the #1 and #2 factors in reducing accident frequency.

Last edited:
deleted, too negative, sorry.

Last edited:
o_Oo_O

Shouldn't be anything wrong with a private pilot asking questions and trying to understand and learn from why you do things the way you do. I think I know what you were trying to say, perhaps you didn't phrase it quite clearly? ;)

As for the macro-theme of the OP, isn't there a pretty irrefutable correlation from the FAA accident stats about total time and time-on-type? I seem to remember years ago reading somewhere these were the #1 and #2 factors in reducing accident frequency.
I don’t think @Zeldman is talking about answering questions from curious private pilots. He probably has had a few of those know it alls on his flights. FWIW, some jack wagon flight safety sim instructor got off my plane in SAV a few months ago and told me, “next time try landing in the touchdown zone.” So morons come in all shapes and sizes!

What’s your attitude regarding old fat lazy pilots that have 20,000 hours more than you?

Didn’t the killing zone say it was the 500ish hr pilots who were the worst in that regard?

0-400 is the killing zone ... I am trying to cross that, but taking forever

I met a WWII vet pilot earlier this year and we were chatting, he told me - son, about 200-250 hrs one day the weather will be a little more than you can handle and you will think you got this, take my suggestion and don’t fly that day.

Fast forward 6 months, I was going to KJKJ to see my mechanic for a oil change, short 8 mile distance, winds were howling, take off wasn’t big deal, but landing at KJKJ was showing about 20 kts from 90 degrees. I told myself, I got this, just crab the hell out and don’t run out of rudder, if you do, go around come back to fargo.

10 miserable mins of bouncing around in the air, I tried to implement my grand plan only to find out the crosswind component is now 24 kts gusting to 30 or so, I somehow landed after bouncing off the runway 3 times.... if I wasn’t flying a training level plane like the PA, I would have gone off the runway.

That sobered me up, after coming back home I looked my log book and remembered what the vet had sai, I was at 240 hrs. Spooky.

Oh, right after I landed a 150 came in, landed and parked and walked away ... he was literally walking in the park. Later I found out he is a AG pilot

There I said it, I haven’t posted this before, but I feel good to get this off my chest. I was dumb and made a stupid call, only thing hurt was my big arse ego.

If you have been an active CFI long enough you realize that not knowing much has nothing to do with how long you have flown or what certificate you hold.

If you have been an active CFI long enough you realize that not knowing much has nothing to do with how long you have flown or what certificate you hold.
True, but hours is a measure. At 20,000 hours you have likely seen a bit more than a 300 hour PP.

Asking a question in a way that makes the PP experience believe he is superior to my years in the bush is not Ok. I don't mind questions at all if it is with the intent to learn. I probably wasn't very clear as GRG55 stated. Asking in a way that says I don't know what I am doing is different.

Asking to learn is something I am Ok with. I rather enjoy having someone up front with me that wants to learn. Keeps me awake...:lol:

My first year of flying I logged 480 hours. Mostly night time. My second year I flew over 800 hours. By then I was a busy CFI working full time and carrying 10-12 PP students and working on my CFII and MEI.
I was too busy gaining experience and flying every make and model GA airplane available to say no to any flying opportunity. I was in a constant state of realizing I did not know everything about aviation.
By my third year, I had moved to Alaska and flown the bush and was pretty accustomed to getting scared to death every other landing...
By then I had nearly 3,000 hours and was pretty burned out and Jaded about the whole airline/charter flying business.
I turned down a gig with what is now Alaska Airlines in their cargo/passenger 737, went back to the real world in the "Lower 48" and practically stopped flying for a while until I joined the Army, became a helicopter pilot and started over in a whole different environment. Now that I look back on it, it's hard to believe how few hours I have logged for all the experience I have.

I never really had a chance to be one of those "hundred hour Smartasses." Forty years later, I can smartass all I want.

Then they hit about a whooping 100 hrs and think they know everything,

Not me. I was still a student pilot at 100 hours. :eek:

I made a hypothetical and/or rhetorical post a month or two ago about my CFI being a jerk and was banned for it. This thread warrants a ban for you as I am offended. As a 100 hour pilot, I see all you ATP latte drinkers think you know it all and try and “correct” lower time pilots like your jet fuel don’t stink.

This is a personal attack on all new pilots by the forum bullies known as commercial pilots. We have the right to know it all, but know nothing at all. I do think it’s reasonable to use ADSB to punch through convection and fly an 80 knot 10 mile straight in at KBOS( but I will ask to waive the landing fees of course).

I’ll be firing up the Fofundme shortly, firing up a Change.gov petition and also starting a hashtag movement when I think of something clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back