How To Lose Weight

See you have to purge all of that stuff from the house, and you won't be tempted to eat it.

I carbed out last night. Bad, bad, bad.

LOL... That's not the problem, Sac! I have a bad habit of being a junk-food junkie while I'm working. It never makes it long enough to come home with me. :rolleyes2: For the most part, there's not a whole lot of junk around the house. The husband doesn't have as much trouble as I do avoiding the junk.

I'm a bit heavier then I'd like to be right now -- maybe preparing for Warrior Dash Iowa will help fix that.

I've lost a bunch since January. ANother 10 to go and I'll be happy (and at the lowest weight in *cough* years.

Thanks for 'bumping the thread', Lynn. It's timely, as I've just "re-engaged" on my eating healthier mission (it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle if you want it to stick).

In 2011, I lost 35.9# between January and June, before going to Oshkosh. I reached an intermediate goal (ability to go for a glider flight as a passenger, which I did!), but then fell off the bandwagon, and sadly put it all back on--and more. Pictures from Gaston's make me go :yikes:

I got refocused in mid May, and I'm down 7.2# now. I want to lose 80-100 more. For me, carbs are bad. I've had good success with both Atkins and MediFast, which are high protein / low carb diets, but I don't think either is sustainable in the long run. Now, I'm doing a hybrid mixture of what I've learned works for me.

1) I try to walk 35-45 minutes EVERY DAY... I start my day with it when I can, before it gets too hot. I canceled my gym membership and get out in the outdoors instead. Goal here is just to keep the metabolism up. I don't bring music--it's time away, unplugged, where I can focus on myself and my reasons for wanting to be successful at weight loss.

2) I've always drank lots of water (walking around with a quart jar all the time), and I'm continuing that, but making sure I drink a tall glass of water BEFORE each and every meal. No sugary or diet drinks at all ("what kind of diabetes would you like?!"). I'll have a fresh brewed cup or two of coffee in the morning (no cream or sugar), and green tea or unsweetened iced tea, but I try to limit the caffeine after 2pm, as I know how critical good sleep is to weight loss and regulating your metabolism. As far as alcohol, red wine, in moderation, in the evening.

3) I've cut out any refined starches... if it has sugar, corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, or "wheat flour" anywhere in the first five or six ingredients, it's a no go. I'm replacing rice and potatoes with more dark green or high fiber vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, kale, spinach, green beans, sweet potatoes/yams, etc.--all fresh or frozen, not canned) and whole grains that I prepare myself (quinoa, mueslix, etc.).

4) Fish is my staple protein--portion size for six ounces is MUCH larger with fish than with beef, so you "feel" like you're getting to eat a lot. And salmon or tuna or cod or tilapia are SO GOOD to eat.

5) Less salt. MUCH less. Using lemons, herbs, garlic, pepper, mustard, etc. for flavoring. Isn't it nice when every meal doesn't taste exactly the same (like SALT)?!

6) Any carbs consumed are in the morning / early part of the day -- a good breakfast (steel cut / Irish oats with berries is a favorite; eggs work too, though I am trying to do more egg whites and just a yolk or two for color and flavor) each day is critical. Studies show that those that SKIP breakfast weigh MORE because they tend to carb load later in the day. I eat my carbs early, suppress hunger, graze with healthy snacks during the day (an apple, some hummis and celery or cucumbers, unsalted roasted nuts (almonds or pistachios are great!), green olives, etc.), and eat a lean & green dinner not later than 7pm. Limiting carbs in the evening, your pancreas doesn't flood your bloodstream with insulin. Flooding your bloodstream with insulin makes you feel hungry and want sugar, and thus the desire for ice cream at bedtime.

7) When we go out to eat (my wife and I have a biweekly date night on Fridays--tonight!) we'll often order and share ONE plate of food if we can agree on the dish. If not, taking half home with us works. The advice above, to portion it out (slide half to one side of the plate) when it arrives works for me, too. ALL good restaurants will give you steamed vegetables in replacement of the standard rice or potatoes, usually at no charge. It IS possible to eat healthy at a restaurant. Ask for that chicken or fish SEASONED & BROILED, no sauce (or, at least, on the side, so YOU can regulate how much of it you have). Dipping the tines of your fork into your salad dressing or sauce on the side before picking up your lettuce or meat is a great way to "get a bit" without drowning your food in a high fat sauce.

8) ZERO FAST FOOD. McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Sonic, Taco Bell? Keep on driving.

9) Yes, I get splurge... MEAL, not DAY. I still try to stick to the rules above, but might have something -- in moderation -- that I wouldn't otherwise allow myself to have. Portion control is key, which leads me to #10....

10) Portion control. I was, like the previous poster, from a family where you "cleaned your plate". That's taken a LOT of will power to change that habit. Since it was a large family (8 kids, I was the oldest), and food was scarce, you not only ate what YOU had, but would often eat what others didn't finish. One thing that's helped me with that at home is we added smaller 7" square dinner plates to the mix. I dish up my meals on those, and keep it to the center area of the plate, with space showing between items... that helps a LOT.

Finally, eat at the table, not in front of the TV. Eat with others when you can. Conversation slows down how fast you eat, you feel fuller faster (before you consume too much food). And set the table, even if it's a simple setting... just leave the salt shaker on the other side of the room! Setting the table will remind you that you're DINING, not FEEDING. You're not a farm animal. Don't eat like a cow.

Last edited:
I've decided to make Fridays my "weight day" and as of today, after starting back dieting and exercising regularly since getting back from Gaston's, I'm down 1 pound. Yeah... it's a process. :rolleyes: This kinda scares me though, because this should have been an "easy" week with bigger results.

It gets more difficult as we get older. Fat is a rather new adjective I use to describe myself.

I fell off the sugar wagon at Gaston's but southern sweet tea is an evil temptress. ;)

A friend who's wife is Japanese pointed out this to me once...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hara_hachi_bu

It takes your brain 20 minutes to realize you're full and to turn off "hunger" type feelings. Eating slower and stopping prior to feeling "full" works for almost an entire population of people in Okinawa.

(Plus they eat fish and vegetables, too...)

Spike just described their culturally supported diet.

Meanwhile... I need to get back to the gym.

It takes your brain 20 minutes to realize you're full and to turn off "hunger" type feelings. Eating slower and stopping prior to feeling "full" works for almost an entire population of people in Okinawa.

Which is why America's penchant for "fast food" (including chain restaurants, sit-down places that encourage "turning tables" and folks that wolf food down) contribute to the obesity epidemic in this country. "Supersize Me" indeed. Oh, and wash it down with a couple of 16 ounce sodas because you can't buy one 32 ounce one in NY. :yikes:

4) Fish is my staple protein--portion size for six ounces is MUCH larger with fish than with beef, so you "feel" like you're getting to eat a lot. And salmon or tuna or cod or tilapia are SO GOOD to eat.
Just be careful with the amounts of fish you eat - some of which (tuna, for example) are not healthy to eat more than once/week because of the mercury they contain...

Well, it sounds like many of us are still on the right track or getting back on it! That is great!! :D I've found that I DO have time to get my workout in by making small changes in my schedule, even during my working week, although that has been tough because I like to Facebook (notice how that word is a verb in this sentence) and chat online with friends and dislike working out/being active. In fact, I've noticed that most (if not all!) of my favorite discretionary time activities (even flying my airplane!) involve sitting in one spot for the most part. It would be nice if I could find an activity that I enjoy that would involve the useage of more calories. When I was younger, I used to dance (ballet) and also ice skate and more recently Christopher and I would bowl in a league once a week... I need to find something like that again.

Last edited:
Well, it sounds like many of us are still on the right track or getting back on it! That is great!! :D I've found that I DO have time to get my workout in by making small changes in my schedule, even during my working week, although that has been tough because I like to Facebook (notice how that word is a verb in this sentence) and chat online with friends and dislike working out/being active. In fact, I've noticed that most of my favorite discretionary time activities (even flying my airplane!) involve sitting in one spot for the most part. It would be nice if I could find an activity that I enjoy that would involve the useage of more calories. When I was younger, I used to dance (ballet) and also ice skate and more recently Christopher and I would bowl in a league once a week... I need to find something like that again.

Tell you what. Let me know your workout schedule and I'll nag you if I see you on FB or here during that time.

LOL Tim... it's a deal. Accountability! That is what I need. :D Workout time for me (during my work week) is right after I come home from work about 9am. My treadmill time and workout video take just over an hour if I work it straight through (as it should be!) I used to use this time to get online and spend time on Facebook and chat with friends on Yahoo Messenger that has been the biggest change I want to make stick. During my non-working week, I'd use entire mornings (and sometimes afternoons!) working on scrapbook projects while online chatting or shopping at the same time and that needs to change too. :rolleyes2: I'm really looking for an activity (aerobics class??) that I can do to get me out of my jammies in the morning and become more active. It's an advantage having a workout room at home, but it might be fun to take a class where I have to be committed to getting there at a set time.

A friend does a boot camp program in the mornings. Last time we spoke she found it worthwhile.

Nonetheless, I'll try to nag you in the mornings.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm guessing the corned beef and cabbage at the Irish Pub isn't going to help.

aefda18d-4c47-0357.jpg

In the background note that Karen opted for the Strawberry Spinach salad but added a side of sweet potato fries.

:)

We're out celebrating our Anniversary. Tomorrow, she's officially put up with me for 17 years. :)

We are also ordering special shots... "Purple Hooters", which was what we drank with the wedding party 17 years ago tonight.

The live Irish band and bagpipes at the local Irish pub near KAPA, is awesome. That's right. Bagpipes indoors. I will be deaf tomorrow. ;)

I love corned beef and cabbage but what's that "stuff" all over it?

It was a white wine gravy something-or-other. Extra fat.

I'll be pre-reserving a visit with Doc Bruce...

Right after I finish my beer and listening to the band, "Juice O' The Barley". ;)

I'm really looking for an activity (aerobics class??) that I can do to get me out of my jammies in the morning and become more active. It's an advantage having a workout room at home, but it might be fun to take a class where I have to be committed to getting there at a set time.

The local university probably has a swing dance club you could do with Christopher that you two would enjoy. I should do so with Merida. Good aerobic exercise, it's fun, and you learn to dance! Seems like a real winner to me.

Just throwing my two cents in to the original topic -- I'm a competitive runner, when I'm peaking in training I will average about 80 miles per week. Since my son was born and while my wife was pregnant that was dropped substantially (about 20 to 30 miles per week if I'm lucky). I'm 6'1" and while running at peak I weighed about 155lbs at 8% bodyfat (hydrostatic measured). Without changing my diet and running as I am I've boomed up to 185lbs in the last two years and I'd guess I'm at about 13% bodyfat based on muscle definition.

Endurance running accomplishes two things: lots of calories burned, lots of time spent on the pavement/trails means time not with a bag of potato chips.

Doing long training runs too fast (above aerobic heartrate pace) will cause you to burn away muscle and lower your resting-rate of fat burn. Long slow running is where it's at for optimal weight loss.

The local university probably has a swing dance club you could do with Christopher that you two would enjoy. I should do so with Merida. Good aerobic exercise, it's fun, and you learn to dance! Seems like a real winner to me.

That would be fun! More fun even to go to class dressed in 40's vintage style: one of those cute dresses with the swing-y crinoline skirts and hair up in pin curls like in those old WW2 movies! I should check that out... thanks! :D

One of my students was the leader of the club here. I've been meaning to do it. The wedding I attended this weekend reminded me that one of the very few regrets I have in my life is not learning to dance.

Last year I lost 15 pounds in about 9 weeks.

I'm 5'8" and classically ectomorph, but at my last physical I had hit 163 which was on the border between normal and overweigtht BMI. Two years of nearly weekly flight commuting for work and eating on the road meant I was out of shape. I disliked the idea that walking through the terminal briskly was enough to breathe harder than I should.

I resolved to do something about it, but never in my life had I actually needed to lose weight. I did two things:
  • I calorie counted (2100 calories a day max). Mostly made my own meals and used the FatSecret web site which has a database of foods/calories. I did this meticulously and tracked everything. I didn't eat special foods and didn't cut out anything. I did actively look at fat contents. I just had the 2100 calories and tried very hard to not bust that ceiling. Again, using a computer based calorie counting system (which I also had on my WP7) helped a lot. I think I probably failed to keep that target 3 days in 9 weeks (as far as I could tell since calorie counting is an inexact science).
  • I went to the gym (3 miles running every other day + 1 day of weight training). In the beginning it was just walking fast for 20-30 minutes. Later I was running steadily for about 40 minutes. No secrets here. Just treadmill. Lots and lots of treadmill. I found a basic weight training program that just targeted major muscle groups.
The first few days of calorie counting were difficult both as a PITA and not eating as much. I could have eased into it a bit slower, but that's not the way I do things I guess. :) I found playing video games at night helped because I got too engrossed in it to just snack on the couch.

A key thing at this point was that I was only working part time. This meant about 2-4 hours a day of work so I had a lot of time to devote to this weight loss project. It might even be the key. I didn't feel stressed or rushed and I had time to make meals that I could keep track of the calories. I also live in a part of the city where driving is a pain so I walked more. I shoveled the long driveway instead of waiting for the guy with the snow blower. Real Rocky IV type stuff in a sense (only I don't have the abs). All this was in addition to the work out. These were all things I did normally anyway. I just did more.

Cardiovascular systems were noticeably better after about 5 sessions. I recorded strength increases every session as well. My goal here was just to get more muscle mass to increase fat burning efficiency. Towards the end I was losing close to 2 lbs a week. I've read a number of web sites and books on the topic of losing weight. I really believe that consistency is the secret as more, or even more so, than effort. I just made sure I was in the gym alternate days regardless.

I had set out to lose 10 pounds and went on to 15. I decided to stop at that point and admitedly haven't really gone back to the regimen. I've since gained back about 5 pounds but have held steady at my grad school weight (15 years ago) so I'm pretty satisfied. The secret is simple: I'm eating less now and do not feel hungry.

I guess the lesson here is that with a bit of will and some free time I found it was an effort, but not an extraordinarily difficult one after I got into the mindset. I think measuring things like calories, strength, and heart rate performance kept me motivated.

YMMV, it takes time, but I believe with consistent effort there will be results.

Very late to the game.

At the beginning of last summer I wasn't bad, 6'2", 210#, but most of it was belly weight. I didn't like how I looked, I didn't like how I felt. So.....

Now I've been holding steady at 175# for the last six months. I pretty much re-structured my whole diet and added some additional exercise to my running. I feel great, look great, and am sticking to it.

One year now since the re-structure.

I have some freakish metabolism. I can quit working out, sit around and drink beer and eat pizza all the time and i'll actually LOSE weight. Of course if I do that I get lazy and feel like crap, so I keep up the outdoor activities and try to eat reasonably well

I have some freakish metabolism. I can quit working out, sit around and drink beer and eat pizza all the time and i'll actually LOSE weight. Of course if I do that I get lazy and feel like crap, so I keep up the outdoor activities and try to eat reasonably well

Ha - I believe you just earned hatred from a lot of people. If I don't run for 3 days I'm pretty sure my metabolism slows by 80% and my waist gains 3". Slight exaggeration, but I don't think by much.

Ha - I believe you just earned hatred from a lot of people. If I don't run for 3 days I'm pretty sure my metabolism slows by 80% and my waist gains 3". Slight exaggeration, but I don't think by much.

No kidding... and by my heritage, I'm supposed to be one of the lucky ones as well! It doesn't take long before I notice my clothes don;t look the way I want them to on and I can also feel it even before I get on the scale and prove it. Other people are, of course, kind and say that it doesn't show, but I know better. Working on it this summer and keeping motivated...

:) I found playing video games at night helped

YMMV, it takes time, but I believe with consistent effort there will be results.

An interesting approach. I wish it worked for me, I am quite the opposite.

I used to be the same way. Try as I might, I couldn't gain weight by eating and the only times I put on extra pounds was when I was engaged in an activity that involved a lot of exercise. But lately I've found myself about 10 lbs over my ideal weight and it seems the only way I can shed some of those pounds is by eating less, something I've never learned to do consistently.

So what I'm trying to say is the ability to eat whatever you want without gaining weight will likely vanish at some point and by then you'll probably lack the dietary skills that others have developed along the way.

A " made up my mind" decision to commit to diet and exercise. After my heart attack last November,it became obvious to to me I would have to commit to lifestyle changes or suffer the same same consequences later again. It isn't easy,but it is't as hard after you get into a routine.
Read the nutrition labels on the labels:stay away from saturated fats,trans fats,high cholesterol content,high sodium stuff
Avoid fried foods, instead grill or bake, if you must, use olive or vegetable oil or Pam spray, use reduced fat butter(I use "I can't believe it's not butter")
Choose wholewheat instead of white bread,1% milk,avoid dairy products that aren't reduced fat
give up soda pop, whole ice cream(try sherbet or frozen yogurt),junk food snacks,(read the labels!)-they're"empty calories"
COMMIT to some type exercise routine;I use the fitness center at my local hospital,it's a well equipped facility,staffed by health pros,reasonably priced(55$/3months, annual membership)
Remember,like anything,the first step is the hardest,make up your mind then take it.
What has it done for me? I've reversed my bad /good cholesterol levels back to normal levels,I passed my Bruce Protocol Level 3 stress test.(I did 4 levels,14 minutes,the last being 3 minutes jogging a14% incline. I'm still waiting on my cardiologist's report ,but his words afterwards was "You have really gotten yourself into shape and it appears you have made a full recovery."
My goal now? Reapply for my Student/3rd class medical certification. And continue what I'm doing. It isn't easy,I'm a Heat and Frost Insulator by trade,( if you want to sweat weight off, try insulating 500 degree live steam pipe up on a white reflective roof,in August,in Texas).It isn't easy to make yourself go for a workout after working 8 hours but find that reason or goal that makes you want to do it.
Sorry for being so long winded but maybe I'm helping myself as well as you.One more thing,the cardiologist said if I honor my new diet plan 6 days,I can cheat a little 1 day,but watch yourself,you'll wind up cheating yourself.

Endurance running accomplishes two things: lots of calories burned, lots of time spent on the pavement/trails means time not with a bag of potato chips.

Doing long training runs too fast (above aerobic heartrate pace) will cause you to burn away muscle and lower your resting-rate of fat burn. Long slow running is where it's at for optimal weight loss.

That is all true, but you left something out. It also destroys knees, ankles and to a lesser extent hip joints. But the good news is that they are ironing out a lot of bugs in artificial joint replacement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back