Headset Evaluation

NC_Flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Jones
I am a student pilot planning to buy my first headset.
I've been through several steps in my thought process. The latest is do I need ANR. To me the answer is YES. I tried on a Lightspeed Zulu 2 set and what a difference with ANR on and then off.
Second, which brand is better for me. I'm not quite sure but I do like Lightspeed. In particular the Delta Zulu's. Yes a bit on the expensive side. But the old expression "cry once..."
Now, the question - Does Lightspeed Bluetooth support multiple concurrent devices? For example - connection to the iPad for ForeFlight and my phone. Or I have heard that I may have ForeFlight on one device and Garmin on another.
Frankly, I'm strongly considering a used Delta Zulu but can't find the definitive answer from Lightspeed to my question. Bose does state that they support multiple concurrent connections.

Facts and Opinions are welcome,
Tim

Do you NEED ANR?
No, most certainly.
Assuming you're flying a typical trainer..... Myself and many thousands of others trained and flew millions of hours with passive headsets.
Now I would not suggest that anyone step back to what folks before my time did.... no headset at all. Hearing is too precious for that.
But a good passive noise reduction headset works just fine. It doesn't even have to be a high end expensive thing.

That said, get what you can afford. Don't be so hung up on getting the latest and greatest top end thing if you can't afford it.

I agree with Brad. You don’t need the latest and greatest— save that for later in your career. It just needs to work and they pretty much all do. For me comfort is huge. Buy one and fly with it. After 30min to an hour if it’s not comfortable then return it and try another brand.

Don't buy an expensive ANR headset now unless you want to use one forever. Because once you use one, you're not going to want to go back.

But seriously, they aren't a requirement.

My wife flies with me quite a bit and asked for a Bluetooth set that she could use as she likes to bring work with her on the flight (and needs audio). I gambled a bit with a set of Avcomm A1000. Absolutely brilliant headset. I had to send my Zulus out for a cable repair and used the Avcomms for about 3 weeks. Zero complaints.

FWIW, if you’re planning on getting your instrument rating, the benefits of Bluetooth cannot be overstated. About 3/4 of my clearance pickups are at uncontrolled fields, and it’s so nice to be able to call delivery when I’m ready to go. I tend to fly in areas with a decent amount of traffic, so the clearance void times can be short.

In short, affordable (around $350), comfortable, fairly lightweight, and a nice ANR package.

Zulus only does one Bluetooth at a time.

If your plans are to do this for a job you’ll move into instructing? If so then you might be using. A headset for a while. In that case then maybe worth the money.

However, lower cost ANC headsets works well too. So don’t discount those.

As a student, not sure why the need for bluetooth. If I were you, I'd get a used Bose or Lightspeed ANR headset. Used can be a decent discount to new and can likely be re-sold at a later date for similar $$. After you have some significant hours you'll have a better idea of what you need. For example, I wish I had not bought BT headphones as my intercom has BT and has much better connectivity for when I use my phone to get a clearance on the ground. I have one pair of Lightspeed DZ and it needs a specific step when I make a call which is a pita. My Clarity Aloft and Bose A20 non BT have no such need.

My Lightspeed Delta Zulu does two; I use it now for my iPad (foreflight) and my phone (music). Never tried it with more than two... Love the headset!

I recommend the in-ear headsets. With good tips you can bring the noise down to ANR levels. I use custom molded ear pieces. Some even have ANR but I've never tried those. As for bluetooth, you can buy a bluetooth module separately and make any headset bluetooth enabled.
The best reason to go in-ear, is the heat. I live in south Florida and every little plane is a sauna minimum 8 months out of the year.

I am a student pilot planning to buy my first headset.
I've been through several steps in my thought process. The latest is do I need ANR. To me the answer is YES. I tried on a Lightspeed Zulu 2 set and what a difference with ANR on and then off.
Second, which brand is better for me. I'm not quite sure but I do like Lightspeed. In particular the Delta Zulu's. Yes a bit on the expensive side. But the old expression "cry once..."
Now, the question - Does Lightspeed Bluetooth support multiple concurrent devices? For example - connection to the iPad for ForeFlight and my phone. Or I have heard that I may have ForeFlight on one device and Garmin on another.
Frankly, I'm strongly considering a used Delta Zulu but can't find the definitive answer from Lightspeed to my question. Bose does state that they support multiple concurrent connections.

Facts and Opinions are welcome,
Tim
Not sure on the Lightspeed multiple connections, but can confirm the Bose does work as stated. As someone who damaged their hearing as a youngster, I could not go back from an ANR headset. I have yet to experience a situation where the ANR blocked a noise I needed to hear. The Bose isn't cheap, but if you're in it for the long run, it's worth every penny IMO.

As a student, not sure why the need for bluetooth. ...as my intercom has BT and has much better connectivity...
Foreflight and phone are valuable even to a student and not everyone has BT audio in the plane. I appreciate the FF alerts for situational awareness and just yesterday had to use phone to get Wx on the ground because local AWOS was OOS and the alternate isn't reachable by radio on the ground, which I didn't realize until engine running and avionics on, will all the noises that make holding the phone to my ear difficult.

This comes up often on here and again I’ll put my two cents in for Quiet Technologies Halos, which are in the ear. They have a Bluetooth version ($450 vs $350 without) but for picking up clearances, I just pull the left earpiece out and call on the phone with the plane at idle and can hear just fine. As for music, I do have an aux jack that has a Bluetooth adapter plugged into it.

For an hour or two locally, the head clamps are OK. For cross country, I definitely prefer the in the ear.

Oh - and I have some David Clarks retrofitted with ANR for my gyro. Those work very well. Headsets Inc is the one who does that. Kits are about $250 to retrofit your own but their own 6001 headset is decent although the mic isn’t as good for open cockpit as a DC one. They’re $600 with BT.

Shop eBay for options too, especially the DC with the retrofit.

do you need ANR, no, get it anyway.

my opinion, if you know you are in this for the long haul, get the best you can afford.
my first was a lightspeed 20xl, used them for 20 years before they fell apart

currently have Lightspeed zulus 3 and the Lightspeed sierra, impressed by both.
I would NOT be disappointed if to save money i had purchased 2 sierras instead of the zulu.

also, atleast for the zulu 3, it is also a really good passive headset, i've not bothered to turn them on on multiple flights

Last edited:
The latest is do I need ANR. To me the answer is YES. I tried on a Lightspeed Zulu 2 set and what a difference with ANR on and then off.
An ANR headset with ANR turned off is not the same as a non-ANR headset. Don't use that metric to determine that you need ANR. If you want ANR, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, but I'm on a personal crusade to "Fight Fuzzy Thinking".

An ANR headset is designed to maximize noise reduction with ANR active. It uses passive protection to shield noise characteristics that ANR is not effective against. If you turn the ANR off, you turn off protection against certain frequencies and characteristics that could have been effectively blocked passively, but weren't because the ANR was part of the system. Limiting the passive blocking usually made the over-ear type headset lighter and more comfortable to wear for longer times.

FWIW, I have not used ANR, but between DC clones and Clarity Aloft, I like my Clarity Aloft a lot. I once tried to get out of the plane still plugged in because I forgot I was wearing them.

FWIW, I have not used ANR, but between DC clones and Clarity Aloft, I like my Clarity Aloft a lot. I once tried to get out of the plane still plugged in because I forgot I was wearing them.
Any good in-ear aviation headset - Clarity, Axis (which I use), QT Halo among them - when worn properly, will give you noise reduction comparable to the best ANR headsets.

I recommend the in-ear headsets. With good tips you can bring the noise down to ANR levels. I use custom molded ear pieces. Some even have ANR but I've never tried those. ... The best reason to go in-ear, is the heat. I live in south Florida and every little plane is a sauna minimum 8 months out of the year.

This comes up often on here and again I’ll put my two cents in for Quiet Technologies Halos, which are in the ear.
YMMV, but I agree with both of these.

I fly in the south where it's hot and have used the QT Halos for ~10 years with great satisfaction. There are multiple eartip options that all have their pros/cons, and some folks don't find any of them to be acceptable. In my case I'd use any of the eartips though I do have some preferences.

In hot weather, with a traditional headset (ANR or not), the band over the top of the head and the padding of the earcups trap heat that is most uncomfortable, not to mention the effect of the clamping over time. By the end of even short flights, I can't wait to take the headset off!

With the Halos, I can almost forget that they're there. "Headset fatigue" is not a thing at all with them.

I would definitely go ANR or in-ear. Whether go go top line or lower is a function of available funds and how far along you are. Not a great feeling to spend $1,000 on a Bose or LightSpeed and then decide flying is not for you, although you can recoup some of it by selling on the secondary market, including eBay. The LightSpeed warranty, in particular, goes with the headset, which helps with the pricing.

Beyond that, the single most important consideration is fit and comfort. Going back in the days before ANR, the single most popular headset there was David Clark. The reasons for that were very good, but I didn't own one because I just didn't like the was they felt.

Going back in the days before ANR, the single most popular headset there was David Clark.
I have a set of DC One-X, and they work very well. Not sure about multiple Bluetooth sources though, as I've never tried it.

I like my Clarity Aloft a lot. I once tried to get out of the plane still plugged in because I forgot I was wearing them.
You're not alone. They are easy forget as they have no switches to turn off, batteries to replace, don't mess up my hair, and I can fly wearing my ten gallon cowboy hat:

1713813338395.png

I'm now using different ear tips (triple flange, tree type). These make them seal better and they are easier to insert/remove.

FWIW

You're not alone. They are easy forget as they have no switchesto turn off, batteries to replace, don't mess up my hair, and I can fly wearing my ten gallon cowboy hat:

View attachment 128072
That's actually what led me to tr several in-ear headsets and ultimately select one. Not the 10 gallon hat, but the ability to wear something with a wide brim. I do a lot of flying and teaching in Diamonds and that bubble canopy becomes a deadly sauna. Any extra shade is a welcome relief!

That's actually what led me to tr several in-ear headsets and ultimately select one. Not the 10 gallon hat, but the ability to wear something with a wide brim. I do a lot of flying and teaching in Diamonds and that bubble canopy becomes a deadly sauna. Any extra shade is a welcome relief!

I was kidding of course ... I do wear a full brim hat in my Sonex as it becomes an E-Z bake oven in the summertime.

Do you NEED ANR?
No, most certainly.
Assuming you're flying a typical trainer..... Myself and many thousands of others trained and flew millions of hours with passive headsets.
Now I would not suggest that anyone step back to what folks before my time did.... no headset at all. Hearing is too precious for that.
But a good passive noise reduction headset works just fine. It doesn't even have to be a high end expensive thing.

That said, get what you can afford. Don't be so hung up on getting the latest and greatest top end thing if you can't afford it.
I appreciate the point of view. That is part of my angst - good low end as many others have done and it works just fine. Or as
As a student, not sure why the need for bluetooth. If I were you, I'd get a used Bose or Lightspeed ANR headset. Used can be a decent discount to new and can likely be re-sold at a later date for similar $$. After you have some significant hours you'll have a better idea of what you need. For example, I wish I had not bought BT headphones as my intercom has BT and has much better connectivity for when I use my phone to get a clearance on the ground. I have one pair of Lightspeed DZ and it needs a specific step when I make a call which is a pita. My Clarity Aloft and Bose A20 non BT have no such need.

Thanks to all for the input.
I am replying to this post as it is the closest to my thought process and point of view.
Yes, I am looking at a previously a used headset. Again, that said, which way to go?
Reference a previous post above which said (my words, not his), do not to compare ANR to passive because once you do you won't go back. I have done so and agree.
All the above replies are spot on in reference to baseline need and usefulness. However, as a student pilot at 73 I am not entering into this passion lightly. I do plan for this to continue into, hopefully/expecting IFR (OK how long do I have?).
Reference another post above stating that Lightspeed only supports one active connection at a time. Probably so. I have not heard back from Lightspeed and will keep you updated.

In closing - I tend to agree with many above that comfort and functionality (basics) are paramount. No sense getting carried away will high-end gadgets.
All that said, there is a battle dependent on point of view,
Respectfully, Tim

Does Lightspeed Bluetooth support multiple concurrent devices?
No. But it’s not a light speed limitation, it’s a Bluetooth limitation. All Bluetooth headsets will have the same limitation. Bluetooth is a master slave type connection. A master can have many slaves, but a slave can have only one master. The headset is a slave device, like a keyboard or a mouse would be. You can have a keyboard and a mouse (slaves) connected to the same computer (master), but you can’t connect two computers to the same keyboard or mouse (at the same time)

I was given a new Faro ANR G2 many years ago. After about 15yrs, it failed. Called the factory, they shipped me a new one at a discount plus added a free headset bag. It does not support Bluetooth, but does have a 3mm jack in the ANR controller box.

No. But it’s not a light speed limitation, it’s a Bluetooth limitation. All Bluetooth headsets will have the same limitation. Bluetooth is a master slave type connection. A master can have many slaves, but a slave can have only one master. The headset is a slave device, like a keyboard or a mouse would be. You can have a keyboard and a mouse (slaves) connected to the same computer (master), but you can’t connect two computers to the same keyboard or mouse (at the same time)
Yes, I am an IT guy and do understand the master slave relationship. Your explanation explains a lot and thanks.
I was hoping that the headset would be the master. Apparently not.
Somehow the other major player B__s does state that they support multiple. They may be untruthful.
Thanks for your explanation.

My point in bringing this up in the original question - Is if I'm going "high-end" which way do I go?
My "mentor" states that as an IFR flyer he gets input from; Foreflight, Garmond and phone in his headset.
OK, do i need that? NO. But back to my original remiss, if I am in this for the long-haul, which way do I go?
Thanks, Tim

Yes, I am an IT guy and do understand the master slave relationship. Your explanation explains a lot and thanks.
I was hoping that the headset would be the master. Apparently not.
Somehow the other major player B__s does state that they support multiple. They may be untruthful.
Thanks for your explanation.

My point in bringing this up in the original question - Is if I'm going "high-end" which way do I go?
My "mentor" states that as an IFR flyer he gets input from; Foreflight, Garmond and phone in his headset.
OK, do i need that? NO. But back to my original remiss, if I am in this for the long-haul, which way do I go?
Thanks, Tim
They probably don’t say “concurrent”.

I’m guessing that he doesn’t understand or is communicating poorly. If you’re running foreflight on your phone connected to a garmin, then the headset is getting everything from the phone.

They probably don’t say “concurrent”.

I’m guessing that he doesn’t understand or is communicating poorly. If you’re running foreflight on your phone connected to a garmin, then the headset is getting everything from the phone.
Salty and all:
As I was eating dinner, I received a reply from Lightspeed. According to Lightspeed, Salty's statement is correct.
From Lightspeed support - "Our headsets are only able to be connected via Bluetooth to one device at a time"

This does not mean that others do - this is just a statement. There may be some misconception in wording from others.
It is good to have clarification. Second, as to usefulness, I'll stay out of that discussion. It was just a statement made in social circles which I wanted to get clarified.
Best regards and thanks for everyone's input. Just hoping helped,
Tim

Nonsense. My Bose 700's will connect to two different devices simultaneously and keep track of many more.

Nonsense. My Bose 700's will connect to two different devices simultaneously and keep track of many more.

That’s interesting. They must have multiple slaves built into the same device.

IMHO - yes, absolutely get the the best headset you can. As a student you're learning a lot quickly. Being distracted by noise and vibration will get in the way of your learning process.

As a student I started off with a passive headset, and I should have had an ANR day 1. Even if it means buying new.

LightSpeed, Bose, or David Clark ANR. Which one? Between these three, get the one most comfortable. Go to a local store that has all three. Put each on for 10 min or so and see how each feels.

Last edited:
Salty and all:
As I was eating dinner, I received a reply from Lightspeed. According to Lightspeed, Salty's statement is correct.
From Lightspeed support - "Our headsets are only able to be connected via Bluetooth to one device at a time"

This does not mean that others do - this is just a statement. There may be some misconception in wording from others.
It is good to have clarification. Second, as to usefulness, I'll stay out of that discussion. It was just a statement made in social circles which I wanted to get clarified.
Best regards and thanks for everyone's input. Just hoping helped,
Tim

That has not been my experience. Wait! My Delta Zulu connects to my iPad and my phone connects to my audio panel via Bluetooth! So I am only connecting one device to the headset via Bluetooth...

I am in this for the long-haul, which way do I go?
Get the best that works for you. If it’s for the long haul, there’s no reason to skimp.

Bluetooth? Think about what for. I have it and it’s a mandatory check the box for me. Why? I don’t listen to music when flying. I don’t really care about whether I hear ForeFlight tell me the runway is right in front of me. But I do fly out of a non+towered airport and, having lived through picking up IFR clearances from a pay phone while it was raining and running back to the airplane hoping it would start quickly and I would get my pre-takeoff checks done in time to meet my void time, there’s no way I would be without the ability to connect to my phone inside the airplane.

First decide if you prefer ear plug style or classic ear muff style.

Everyone has a different head shape/size, if you go to an air show you can probably try most of the models out.

I chose A20s way back when ANR was relatively new, they work for me even on 12 hour days, but they are pricey. After 10+ years, 1000+ hours, I’m still happy with them.

Reactions: WDD
I started with David Clark passive. Didn’t work for me / too loud. Then in-ear Clarity Aloft. Actually turned out to be a hassle sticking those things in the ears, and they occasionally fell out, and the head set kept breaking. That’s when I switched to the Lightspeed headset.

+1 for Lightspeed Sierra

Bought a set as a student, zero complaints or problems, XXXL head. Satisfied enough with the first one to get a second set for the plane later.

I wear a bucket hat under the headset with the brim folded up at the ears. May have the hat modified with headband notches cut out at some point but comfortable enough for all-day flying as-is.

I have the CQ1 (w/ bluetooth) and have enjoyed it. https://cqheadset.com/ if you care to look into it. They are now offering a 30 day trial, so no leap of faith required.

However, it does only connect to one device at a time, I just tested it for my own curiosity.

Back