New Bose Headset?

I’ve read the description. Besides the selectable level of noise canceling - which I’m not seeing as a benefit - I don’t see anything to make it really different that the A 20. What am I missing?

Maybe trying to make it more appealing to Airline pilots?
They also have the tap-to-pass-through audio function like the ProFlight 2's have, where you can tap either ear & it passes external noise through that ear, letting you talk to pax without taking the headset off.

I’ve read the description. Besides the selectable level of noise canceling - which I’m not seeing as a benefit - I don’t see anything to make it really different that the A 20. What am I missing?

Maybe trying to make it more appealing to Airline pilots?

It's TEN better than the A20. :D

I'd like it if they had better passive noise cancelling. By that I mean better than zero, which is what the A20s have. It's a bit startling to be two minutes from landing and having the batteries quit on you. The C-207s I fly for work are loud as h***.
My other wish list items:

A cord that isn't junk. I've got 20 year old Peltor headsets where I can wrap the cord around the headset and carry it. Do that with your A20 even a few times and the cord is twisted like a pig's tail. Some of my coworkers have A20s where the cord is split open from this.

Gel ear seals. Why isn't this a thing for Bose? The standard ear seals are another thing that doesn't stand the test of time. They get stiff and crack open in daily use. Gel is really nice for long flights and/or you wear glasses. I thought there would be some aftermarket gel seals available but my search finds nothing.

Quicker turn around on warranty repairs. My first pair that I bought for my job in July has a mic problem (after about 20 minutes it sounds like you're under water). Just sent them in and they said they'd try to have them back in 5 weeks. That prompted me to buy a second set (obviously I don't hate the A20s). I'm babying the cord but I already have a problem with them, and they will be sent in as soon as my first pair gets back. In the case of the second pair they constantly engage/disengage bluetooth with my iPad. "BLOOP. bloop.BLOOP.bloop" with 1-2 seconds in between bloops. If I play music is stays engaged but I only listen to music on longer legs when I'm in cruise. Pause the music and it goes back to the bloop fest. The first pair doesn't have that issue.

I too think my new-ish A20s will work just fine till a trade in program shows up.

If anyone tries them out let us know. Doesn’t look impressive. iPhone 12 v 13 v 14 whatever.

Why not get a built in lithium battery or something with battery life. That’s the main issue. A20s work fine…

Or a CO detector. Oh, wait ………

If anyone tries them out let us know. Doesn’t look impressive. iPhone 12 v 13 v 14 whatever.

Why not get a built in lithium battery or something with battery life. That’s the main issue. A20s work fine…
Nooooooooooo! Well maybe yes, but only because you can actually plug the 30s into a usb port and run them from that.

I thought we were pilots not delicate flowers I'd pay $200 for more clamping force!!

I've seen a few comments about being able to switch off/dim the power light.
Just yesterday i found out you can do that with the A20's as well. Just double press the power button.

My examiner must have been the only one to ever read the manual

I ordered a pair, let’s see how it stands to my A20s. I’m expecting improved comfort from the new cups and frame. I like that you can double tap the ear muffs to disable noise cancelling.

I too think my new-ish A20s will work just fine till a trade in program shows up.
My Pilot Store has the A30 in stock and has a trade-in program for your old headset. I filled out the info for my current A20s and they're supposed to email me an offer. I'll update this post once I get it. I'm guessing it will be quite a bit less than I could sell it for.

Interesting. The Paul B AV Web interview said Bose wasn’t doing any trade in offers yet. Maybe they are for retailers.

My Pilot Store has the A30 in stock and has a trade-in program for your old headset. I filled out the info for my current A20s and they're supposed to email me an offer. I'll update this post once I get it. I'm guessing it will be quite a bit less than I could sell it for.
My guess is $250 trade in value? Totally a guess. lol. Interesting to find out the actual number.

Response from MyPilotStore:

Estimated trade value: (all in excellent condition - fixed wing dual plug)
$585 for the current A20 Bluetooth.
$410 without Bluetooth.
$510 for the Zulu 3

So I tried on a pair at the Bose booth at Sn’F. For me the reduced clamping force was noticeable and overall it “felt” lighter than my A20. I surmise it will be very comfortable in real use. I tried the low ANR mode both using the switch and by tapping the ear cup. It’s interesting but the only time I’d probably use it is if I wanted to listen unimpeded to the engine, like during startup. The dongle is rectangular making it slightly thinner side to side but it’s just as long as the A20’s. It’s thicker though, so it’s kinda a wash. It does come with a rubber strap that goes around it and has a loop on one end so you can hang it out of the way vs letting it flop around. Overall it’s a nice headset and if the trade in is any where like My Pilot Store is saying, then I’ll probably upgrade.

Reactions: Feh

$410 without Bluetooth.
$510 for the Zulu 3

I'd buy your A20 for $600!

Yep, I got the same offer.

You have indicated that you will be trading in the following:
Bose A20 Fixed Wing Dual Plugs Functional Rating: 10 Cosmetic Rating:
8 Issues: None of the above - everything is great!

Estimated value:
$585 for the current A20 Bluetooth. $410 without Bluetooth.

I see that there's an option for a 5pin XLR connector. Isn't that what's used for stage equipment? Who would use an A30 with that connector?

Sarasota does A20 trade in - $500 for non-BT and 600 with bt. Can be applied to any headset.

I see that there's an option for a 5pin XLR connector. Isn't that what's used for stage equipment? Who would use an A30 with that connector?
XLR is usually a 3-pin "balanced" connector. I would guess a 5-pin is for the power-supply needs for the headset. Not sure that the XLR connection has any more utility than the LEMO plug in an aviation application, but they are stout and can't easily be disconnected on accident.

XLR is usually a 3-pin "balanced" connector. I would guess a 5-pin is for the power-supply needs for the headset. Not sure that the XLR connection has any more utility than the LEMO plug in an aviation application, but they are stout and can't easily be disconnected on accident.
I think Airbus uses 5-pin XLR headsets.

Sounds like the Tesla of aviation headsets. I’ll pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They stick out and look awful (see snapshot of Paul, unless he didn’t adjust his properly), the A20s are much better look.

I agree. They seem to stick way out there, a good 2 or 3 inches from the side of the head. There is a model of Lightspeed headset that does the same thing. Personally, I think it looks ridiculous, but hey, it's not about looks. However, I can also see it reducing side headroom in some tighter airplanes.

I tried them out yesterday at SnF and a couple of things stood out. Now remember i'm a newish pilot that uses Lightspeed sierras. First, they are very light to me. Secondly the aluminum frame is really nice and you can't see any exposed wires. The thing i liked the best was the three ANR settings. You can really differentiate between all three and the low is low enough to hear other people talk. Also the tap to shut off the ANR on either side cup took some getting use to as well.

I agree. They seem to stick way out there, a good 2 or 3 inches from the side of the head. There is a model of Lightspeed headset that does the same thing.

Here's a photo of the Lightspeed headsets from Kitplanes. I always hated the way they looked with the open space above the ear cup.
Lightspeed-Lede.jpg.optimal.jpg

Here's a photo of the Lightspeed headsets from Kitplanes. I always hated the way they looked with the open space above the ear cup.
Lightspeed-Lede.jpg.optimal.jpg

Definitely makes you look like a cartoon robot.

And yes, looks are important when paying $1200+ for a single pair of headsets.

For picking an ANR headset, the bottom line IMHO is how comfortable they are.

I tried the Bose, David Clark, and Lightspeed on, wore them for 5 min each at the store, and for my head shape the Zulu was the winner.

The ones I'm thinking of are the Lightspeed Sierras. Here's a picture (taken from an Amazon review of the headset, so I feel it's okay to post it):

61TjoD-e7KL.jpg

The ones I'm thinking of are the Lightspeed Sierras. Here's a picture (taken from an Amazon review of the headset, so I feel it's okay to post it):
Yeah, those are even worse!

However, I can also see it reducing side headroom in some tighter airplanes.
Doesn't seem to be a significant reduction so long as the yokes are inside of the earcups. From the pictures above, that seems to be the case with the Zulu Delta but not the Sierras.

Doesn't seem to be a significant reduction so long as the yokes are inside of the earcups. From the pictures above, that seems to be the case with the Zulu Delta but not the Sierras.

I've been in planes where my head is hitting the sidewall as it curves up to the top. It seems that a headset like the Sierra or the Bose 30 would make that even worse.

Back