Age 65 Limit Slipped in FAA Bill

Have you actually read it or just they hype? All it says is moving ATO COO to the Secretary's office rather than FAA.

So would the ATO COO then become a Presidential Apointee rather than a Career Civil Servant? “All it says...”?? What it’s intent is, what it does and what it results in is whole lot bigger than just what it ‘says’

im-exceptional.jpg
Not too far from the truth. "Exceptional Student" is the new term for what we used to call Special Ed.

Have you actually read it or just they hype? All it says is moving ATO COO to the Secretary's office rather than FAA.

So would the ATO COO then become a Presidential Apointee rather than a Career Civil Servant? “All it says...”?? What it’s intent is, what it does and what it results in is whole lot bigger than just what it ‘says’

^^ This.

Also give a reason why the Secretary’s office needs to be involved at all or the Board needs to be formed.

Is there some pressing need that this politician has shown malfeasance or neglect at FAA that needs to be rectified? No.

If it walks like a duck...

I think we should have to pay more to fly. Maybe then we wouldn't have so many people crashing into each other at KFNL.

What's more interesting is that the airlines are begging for pilots, and NetJets wants to turf older pilots. Makes no sense.

My goal is to retire by 55. No way I want to be flying professionally when I’m 65 if I can swing it financially. I love my job but I also love my free time. I’d rather be laying on a beach having an umbrella drink!

My goal is to retire by 55. No way I want to be flying professionally when I’m 65 if I can swing it financially. I love my job but I also love my free time. I’d rather be laying on a beach having an umbrella drink!

Damn right! :D

I’m going to 62 for SS benefits and pulling the ejection handle. Still got some of these Vietnam guys flying in EMS pushing 70+ and I don’t understand it. I want to enjoy retirement as early as possible. Speaking of the age limit, I really wouldn’t have a problem with 65 in 135 single pilot ops. I know of a few cases in EMS where the pilot had a stroke and the medic had to assist in the landing. :eek:

I’m going to 62 for SS benefits and pulling the ejection handle. Still got some of these Vietnam guys flying in EMS pushing 70+ and I don’t understand it. I want to enjoy retirement as early as possible. Speaking of the age limit, I really wouldn’t have a problem with 65 in 135 single pilot ops. I know of a few cases in EMS where the pilot had a stroke and the medic had to assist in the landing. :eek:
To each their own. I just can’t see myself liking flying enough to work until 65

To each their own. I just can’t see myself liking flying enough to work until 65

Like you, I’m doing my retirement planning based upon 55 - that way I can pull the cord if I need to, but if I’m still enjoying the work I can keep on going.

We’ll see what happens. I still enjoy what I do, but I know there’s most likely one or two downcycles left in my career, so it’ll be nice to have some financial flexibility.

Then they need to turf the pilots themselves and leave congress out of it.
Wholesale **** canning older (higher paid) pilots gets you into the potential for an age discrimination case, they need congress to pass the law so they have a pretext for booting people based on age (paycheck).

You should have joined the cops or FDNY. You could be on the beach in Lauderdale at 40 with the suckers (I mean taxpayers) back in NY paying your cushy pension.

Last edited:
Like you, I’m doing my retirement planning based upon 55 - that way I can pull the cord if I need to, but if I’m still enjoying the work I can keep on going.

We’ll see what happens. I still enjoy what I do, but I know there’s most likely one or two downcycles left in my career, so it’ll be nice to have some financial flexibility.
That’s the way I see it too. But I’m planning for at least 10 years before the mandatory retirement. Who knows, by the time I get to around that age they may lower or raise the age. I still have plenty of time to think about it.

I understand that and don't have a problem retiring early. I was set to go at 60, then they changed it to 65 so I stayed. I mean senior enough to hold good trips, fly with my favorite Captain, and padded the 401K & IRAs out some more. My last year was hard because I was ready to go, but with vacation and PBS I hardly worked the last year.

You should have joined the cops or FDNY. You could be on the beach in Lauderdale at 40 with the suckers (I mean taxpayers) back in NY paying your cushy pension.

I recognize civil servant retirement is a sore subject for a lot of folks on this board since Corporate America and Wall St. took everyone to the cleaners, but I think there's a way that the states could curtail much of the selective exodus you decry. They can do like PR for instance, where state and municipal pensions are taxed regardless of your residence.

I assume NY doesn't do this? If so, they should. At least that way you couldn't accuse the civil servants in question of betraying the public tax base that covers their retirement benefit. Even if they decide to leave the state and take their tax base, the state recoups some of that back via taxation of the pension income. It think that would be a reasonable compromise, and would negate imo much of the visceral sense of betrayal/opportunism you decry in your post. To be completely honest, before I moved CONUS I thought all states taxed their state/municipal retirees regardless of residency.

Why go to NY, you can get the same pension in PA, OH, IL, MI, CA, WI, MN, AZ, AK......

Maybe people over 65 are more likely to die when they are injured in a car accident?

So why is it that 18-29 year olds were most likely to have an accident with those over 65? Were they tailgating and texting???

Source citation please. Easy to make things up.
Furhter, it's meaningless unless you know how much driving is done by that age class versus the general population.

People who hold a valid driver's license probably account for 95% of the accidents as well, so let's get rid of licenses.

I recognize civil servant retirement is a sore subject for a lot of folks on this board since Corporate America and Wall St. took everyone to the cleaners, but I think there's a way that the states could curtail much of the selective exodus you decry. They can do like PR for instance, where state and municipal pensions are taxed regardless of your residence.

I assume NY doesn't do this? If so, they should. At least that way you couldn't accuse the civil servants in question of betraying the public tax base that covers their retirement benefit. Even if they decide to leave the state and take their tax base, the state recoups some of that back via taxation of the pension income. It think that would be a reasonable compromise, and would negate imo much of the visceral sense of betrayal/opportunism you decry in your post. To be completely honest, before I moved CONUS I thought all states taxed their state/municipal retirees regardless of residency.

That’s been tried. Supreme Court realigned California’s thinking on that. California maintained that if you were a California Resident during your working years then they could tax the pension during your retirement years if you were no longer a California Resident. California had gone so far as to putting Liens on the properties of residents of other States to try and collect. Supreme Court said no.

People who hold a valid driver's license probably account for 95% of the accidents as well, so let's get rid of licenses.

That number might be lower here, considering we’re pushing the top five in uninsured motorists. Many are illegal immigrants. Another fatal the other day had Mexican plates on the commercial vehicle here as well.

I’m not the biggest fan of the Big Brother computer systems but Australia does seem to have this better sorted out than the States. Whether you have insurance is registered and in the same database as your plates, placed there by the insurers, and most PD vehicles have automated plate readers. No insurance, you’re getting pulled over and the vehicle is getting impounded.

The scam here is people get expensive monthly insurance long enough to prove they have it to renew the plates and then don’t buy it the other 11 months of the year.

Adding under and uninsured motorist coverage to my existing coverage runs $900/yr for five vehicles. It seems ridiculous to pay that much to subsidize insurance-less drivers who shouldn’t be on the roads. If they don’t do anything to garner a traffic ticket right up until they harm someone in an accident, there’s no way for the State to know they’re doing it.

Definitely need a real-time insurance database but I have no idea what other bad side effects that would cause. Seems to work in Oz, though.

That number might be lower here, considering we’re pushing the top five in uninsured motorists. Many are illegal immigrants. Another fatal the other day had Mexican plates on the commercial vehicle here as well.

I’m not the biggest fan of the Big Brother computer systems but Australia does seem to have this better sorted out than the States. Whether you have insurance is registered and in the same database as your plates, placed there by the insurers, and most PD vehicles have automated plate readers. No insurance, you’re getting pulled over and the vehicle is getting impounded.

The scam here is people get expensive monthly insurance long enough to prove they have it to renew the plates and then don’t buy it the other 11 months of the year.

Adding under and uninsured motorist coverage to my existing coverage runs $900/yr for five vehicles. It seems ridiculous to pay that much to subsidize insurance-less drivers who shouldn’t be on the roads. If they don’t do anything to garner a traffic ticket right up until they harm someone in an accident, there’s no way for the State to know they’re doing it.

Definitely need a real-time insurance database but I have no idea what other bad side effects that would cause. Seems to work in Oz, though.
In some states I've lived (including the current one), the insurance companies are required to report and the state computer system matches them. Initially, that was used for tag renewals, but the info is available to police cars that have tag readers (still a relatively small number but growing - one city uses them for parking enforcement).

Another state sent out letters telling folks to turn in their plates if insurance was lapsed/canceled. That was to keep people from getting insurance just for tag renewal then dropping it. And sometimes mistakes were made - I had a friend (no, not me) that went through a virtual nightmare when the insurance report didn't match correctly with the state system. He used the term Kafka. I had a problem getting licensed in my now home state when the computer showed someone else having registered a vehicle using my SSN - it was identity theft.... Took almost two weeks and three visits to DMV to get it fixed. We weren't even RealId compliant.

Back