Age 65 Limit Slipped in FAA Bill

He just issued a “Managers Amendment” trying to pull ATC out from underneath FAA also.

Same guy who tried to privatize ATC. Now he wants ATC under some new “Board” and not under FAA.

Guy sure knows how to suck up to his benefactors. Note: I didn’t say constituents.

Ironically there are rumblings about raising or eliminating the mandatory retirement age in 121.

AOPA has huge reserves. How about spending a bunch of those reserves to run Schumer out of office?

Looking through Aviation Herald I’ve seen a few pilot incapacitations lately. Of course they may have nothing to do with age. I’m sure they all go into a database for review.

Interesting how a pilot can fly part 135,past the age of 65. And a 121 pilot has to retire at 65. Where’s AARP,when you need them?

Interesting how a pilot can fly part 135,past the age of 65. And a 121 pilot has to retire at 65. Where’s AARP,when you need them?
Can someone post out the origination of the mandatory retirement at 65? Especially if it explains the reasoning behind it? Is it health? Cognitive? What makes a senior airline captain who is 65-1/365 years old any different than two days ago?

Can someone post out the origination of the mandatory retirement at 65? Especially if it explains the reasoning behind it? Is it health? Cognitive? What makes a senior airline captain who is 65-1/365 years old any different than two days ago?
If anyone has that answer, hopefully they can then tackle why ATC is mandatory 56. :)

He just issued a “Managers Amendment” trying to pull ATC out from underneath FAA also.

Same guy who tried to privatize ATC. Now he wants ATC under some new “Board” and not under FAA.

Guy sure knows how to suck up to his benefactors. Note: I didn’t say constituents.

That is just false. Read the amendment.

So how would NetJets be the only company affected by this, as the article states?

So how would NetJets be the only company affected by this, as the article states?
Applies to operators with over 150,000 annual operations, which is apparently only NetJets currently.

Used to be 60, Mike. And it was arbitrary. So they changed it from one arbitrary number to another arbitrary number.

AOPA has huge reserves. How about spending a bunch of those reserves to run Schumer out of office?

I really worried when basic med passed there would be pilots who couldn’t see crap. Get out you tri-focals old codger. “House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Bill Shuster”, not Senate Minority leader Chuck Schumer .

Part of it was the ICAO age was 65. I think some airlines (SWA I heard) petition for age 65. I don't think ALPA fought the change if I recall correctly.

I really worried when basic med passed there would be pilots who couldn’t see crap. Get out you tri-focals old codger. “House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Bill Shuster”, not Senate Minority leader Chuck Schumer .

Him too. And the horse...

That is just false. Read the amendment.

NBAA appears to disagree.

“Thank you for making your voice heard and opposing creation of the Aerospace Management Advisory Council. While we worked together to defeat ATC privatization, it is critical that we remain vigilant on continued efforts by the big airlines to gain control of our ATC system.

As the FAA reauthorization bill moves through the legislative process, NBAA will keep members updated on the latest developments.

Sincerely,

Ed Bolen
NBAA President and CEO”

Right here:

April 19, 2018

The Honorable Bill Shuster, Chair
The Honorable Peter DeFazio, Ranking Member House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee 2251 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Chairman Shuster and Ranking Member DeFazio:

On behalf of our 38 million members and all Americans age 50 and older, AARP is writing to express our opposition to any proposals that would impose a mandatory retirement age on general aviation and commercial charter pilots (FAR Parts 91K and 135). AARP has long opposed mandatory retirement; using an arbitrary age as a proxy for competence is wrong in any occupation, and it is wrong for pilots. Pilots should be judged on the basis of their individual ability, flying skills, and their health, not on stereotypes or mistaken assumptions about their fitness based on age.

The pilots affected are already subject to twice-yearly medical certifications and “check ride”tests of fitness and competency to fly. AARP supports requirements for testing and exams that are designed to measure the job-related characteristics needed to do the job. If different or additional types of tests are needed, the focus should be on determining that. But age should not be used as a shortcut to devising more meaningful and accurate means of measuring qualifications. Aging affects different pilots differently, and the greater experience that comes with more years of flying can neutralize some effects of aging.

The proposal to impose a mandatory retirement age on charter and general aviation pilots is not about safety. Otherwise, it would not have a coverage threshold of 100,000 flights per year, which apparently applies only to one company. That safety is not the driving motivation for this proposal is also revealed by the fact that time-share charter jet companies often use back-up charter companies for high-demand times such as around Thanksgiving or during the recent solar eclipse; these smaller companies, which would remain exempt from the proposed age-65 retirement requirement, themselves often use older pilots.

The shortage of pilots facing carriers – a circumstance due in no small part due to the impending mandatory retirements of boomer-generation pilots – has some experts proposing that the mandatory retirement age for pilots be increased, including forcommercial airlines: “There appears to have been little if any impact on airline safety since ... [the increase in retirement age to 65 from 60] was implemented. Raising this age to 70,perhaps in increments, should now be considered.” A few years ago, Japan increased the retirement age for their domestic commercial pilots from 65 to 67.4 In sum, a proposal to impose a compulsory retirement age on pilots who currently are not subject to one is a proposal headed in exactly the wrong direction.

On behalf of an aging workforce, AARP urges the House not to include a new mandatory retirement age in its FAA reauthorization bill. If an amendment is offered to do so, we urge the House to vote it down. If you have any questions or need additional information, please feel free to contact me or have your staff contact Deborah Chalfie on our Government Affairs staff at 202-434-3723.

Sincerely,

Joyce Rogers,
Senior Vice President AARP Government Affairs

Cc: The Honorable Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House
The Honorable Nancy Pelosi, Minority Leader

I just got an email from EAA, saying somebody, I believe Shuster, has inserted a privatization amendment in the bill. Is that the same thing as moving it out of FAA to this “Board”?

It's Shuster, not Schmuck Chumer (who will be reelected forever because of the numbnutz in NYC.)

In any case, Shuster is not running for reelection, there's too much money to be made as a shill for A4A.

While 65 vs 60 might be an arbitrary age, have you ever tried to give flight instruction to a seasoned pilot? My experienced working with guys in the 60-70 year old bracket was not encouraging, AARP be damned. This isn't about seasoned pilot feelings and we aren't talking about an 85 year old in a Cub on a nice sunny day, we are talking about response times and the safety of others. As I ripen to 45 I hope I am flying a Cub at 85 but would be mad if I was still having to fly to make a living at 65.

While 65 vs 60 might be an arbitrary age, have you ever tried to give flight instruction to a seasoned pilot? My experienced working with guys in the 60-70 year old bracket was not encouraging, AARP be damned. This isn't about seasoned pilot feelings and we aren't talking about an 85 year old in a Cub on a nice sunny day, we are talking about response times and the safety of others. As I ripen to 45 I hope I am flying a Cub at 85 but would be mad if I was still having to fly to make a living at 65.
Oh, please...

Multi at 59, piece of cake.

Although several folks on this board think my cognitive skills have fallen by the wayside. ;)

I just got an email from EAA, saying somebody, I believe Shuster, has inserted a privatization amendment in the bill. Is that the same thing as moving it out of FAA to this “Board”?

Yes. It’s a sly move to put airlines in control of ATC since his bid to privatize didn’t work. But at least we know what he real goal was now.

As I ripen to 45 I hope I am flying a Cub at 85 but would be mad if I was still having to fly to make a living at 65.

Your retirement age is currently 67 thanks to the current generation voting for that in 1983 long before you or I could vote.

Not that you or I are likely planning to retire that late, we’ll just do it on our own savings.

Nor that it won’t likely be voted higher before we get there.

Anyone you know who isn’t saving for retirement in your peers (and I have a number of peers our age who aren’t) will likely be retiring at 67 and working far longer than that to pay back this generation’s debts. They’ll be pretty broke on SS, too because...

COLA on Social Securtity will remain below the inflation rate until long after we’re dead.

Hope you’re putting more than 15% of income into retirement savings if you’re planning on quitting early.

Happy retirement!

Oh, please...

Multi at 59, piece of cake.

Although several folks on this board think my cognitive skills have fallen by the wayside. ;)

As is often the case, there are exceptions to every rule. I have not had the pleasure in my few years of flight instruction of teaching an old dog new tricks, but it could be that I am a horrible teacher and I am really just a CFI to get closer to the ladies.

As is often the case, there are exceptions to every rule. I have not had the pleasure in my few years of flight instruction of teaching an old dog new tricks, but it could be that I am a horrible teacher and I am really just a CFI to get closer to the ladies.
im-exceptional.jpg

People over age 65 account for 15% of the drivers and 18% of the fatal accidents.

Yes. It’s a sly move to put airlines in control of ATC since his bid to privatize didn’t work. But at least we know what he real goal was now.

Have you actually read it or just they hype? All it says is moving ATO COO to the Secretary's office rather than FAA.

Back