Are Large or small jets easier to fly?

It’s amazing how proficient you get when you can’t see over the glareshield!

When I was 12, my father would let me fly his 182 once we got to altitude. I couldn't see over the glareshield at that point, so I mostly used the instruments. When I started lessons, I could fly very well under the hood, but relied on the instruments too much and my instructor would hold a clipboard in front of them to keep me looking outside the airplane.

Because Microsoft is like the press. They don’t know any better.

What about Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D simulation software? They build planes and are very clear that Prepar3D is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product! So obviously those that use Prepar3D are serious aviators!

Anyone notice how he posts these threads but he never actually responds to any of them? Lol.

My go to gif for Bradley’s posts

giphy.gif

I don't think it's a bad question, it's one I've wondered. I know in my limited experience, there's a difference in flying a Cub vs Cherokee 6. I would suspect something similar between a Citation Bravo and a 777.

This again is why we need a sub-forum for simmers. There's a lot of cross-over between avid simmers and avid RW pilots. Speaking from experience, the dedicated sim forums sorely lack RW pilots so there's a lot of really bad info out there. I give the kid some credit for wading into the PoA waters to get real answers from real pilots. If the question were in a more appropriate sub-forum I think his experience at PoA would be a lot better.

I don't think it's a bad question, it's one I've wondered. I know in my limited experience, there's a difference in flying a Cub vs Cherokee 6. I would suspect something similar between a Citation Bravo and a 777.
Back when Mesaba flew the old Mother Fokker, they liked to ask if you'd flown anything over 20,000 lbs. they apparently didn't like my answer that it shouldn't be a problem with a good training program. :rolleyes:

Now, of course, 40,000 lbs is the cutoff for whether or not you can be a "real pilot".

I give the kid some credit for wading into the PoA waters to get real answers from real pilots. If the question were in a more appropriate sub-forum I think his experience at PoA would be a lot better.

The fact that he doesn't participate in threads he starts indicates to me that he's merely a troll.

This again is why we need a sub-forum for simmers. There's a lot of cross-over between avid simmers and avid RW pilots. Speaking from experience, the dedicated sim forums sorely lack RW pilots so there's a lot of really bad info out there. I give the kid some credit for wading into the PoA waters to get real answers from real pilots. If the question were in a more appropriate sub-forum I think his experience at PoA would be a lot better.

Lol seriously? I understand your point but have you seen his other threads? And the fact that he doesn’t even respond to them anyways?

Come on the guy is trollin hard.

Personally, I think it’s better to keep the ‘sim’ rhetoric out of a board that’s dedicated to real world flying. There’s too many other resources on the web that are dedicated for simulation pilots—as goofy as that sounds. Crossing that stuff over to this board would create a lot of unrelated nonsense being thrown around.

Personally, I think it’s better to keep the ‘sim’ rhetoric out of a board that’s dedicated to real world flying. There’s too many other resources on the web that are dedicated for simulation pilots—as goofy as that sounds. Crossing that stuff over to this board would create a lot of unrelated nonsense being thrown around.

I agree in part, that we don't want PoA to be a Sim forum but like it or not, there are a ton of real world pilots who also sim, for various reasons. Every week there is a question on PoA about using a flight sim for training/proficiency/or just for fun. Every time it comes up, the usual suspects come out for and against simming, the same discussion is had what you should or shouldn't do in a sim. Many pilots and pilots-to-be come to real world aviation thru flight simming. Many of those kids in mom's basement are truly yearning to learn everything they can about flying and the sim is the closest they can get to putting their hands on a yoke while they save their lawn mowing money.

While Bradley may be trolling (I have seen him participate in threads and not just simply start them) there are many others out there like him. I think PoA does a disservice by crushing on simmers, particularly if those simmers are using it as a tool. But then, pilots in general tend to crush newbies because that's what pilots do.

I agree in part, that we don't want PoA to be a Sim forum but like it or not, there are a ton of real world pilots who also sim, for various reasons. Every week there is a question on PoA about using a flight sim for training/proficiency/or just for fun. Every time it comes up, the usual suspects come out for and against simming, the same discussion is had what you should or shouldn't do in a sim. Many pilots and pilots-to-be come to real world aviation thru flight simming. Many of those kids in mom's basement are truly yearning to learn everything they can about flying and the sim is the closest they can get to putting their hands on a yoke while they save their lawn mowing money.

While Bradley may be trolling (I have seen him participate in threads and not just simply start them) there are many others out there like him. I think PoA does a disservice by crushing on simmers, particularly if those simmers are using it as a tool. But then, pilots in general tend to crush newbies because that's what pilots do.
I understand where you're coming from, but the difference is that the topics which typically arise are questions regarding the involvement of flight simulators to supplement or aid in one's flight training progression (ie. using an approved sim for IR training) not just recreational and fantasy purposes. There's a major difference between that and having a group of so called 'simulation pilots' join this board and bring up juvenile topics such as "How do I fly an ILS in FSX" or "How do I install add-ons to my flight simulator?" At least, that's what it appears that you're suggesting, by adding a 'Flight Simulation' sub-forum. Many other message boards specifically for that.

Last edited:

Ohhh come on!!! Look at his post history lol. I don't think anyone here is really against simming. I have XPlane myself and think the sim is great (although I don't use it much myself). Just look at his post about the recent Air Trans crash in Costa Rica.

I understand where you're coming from, but the difference is that the topics which typically arise are questions regarding the involvement of flight simulators to supplement or aid in one's flight training progression (ie. using an approved sim for IR training). There's a major difference between that and having a group of so called 'simulation pilots' join this board and bring up juvenile topics such as "How do I fly an ILS in FSX" or "How do I install add-ons to my flight simulator?" At least, that's what it appears that you're suggesting, by adding a 'Flight Simulation' sub-forum. Many other message boards specifically for that.
www.avsim.com/forums

“Simming”...??? Is this a thing??

Sitting in one of those things for anything other than training would give me the willies.

I've been doing currency approaches with a CFII who has the whole commercial Xplane setup with console and pedals in his living room. It was pretty slick. If anything, it's harder to fly an ILS on the simulator.

I've been doing currency approaches with a CFII who has the whole commercial Xplane setup with console and pedals in his living room. It was pretty slick. If anything, it's harder to fly an ILS on the simulator.
No doubt it’s harder. Never flew a sim yet where it wasn’t. But it’s NOT realistic.
Sims are a great procedural trainer (real sims are a great trainer all around), but don’t use cheap sims to learn how to land an airplane. Use them to learn how to enter and execute holds for example.

"How do I fly an ILS in FSX" or "How do I install add-ons to my flight simulator?" At least, that's what it appears that you're suggesting, by adding a 'Flight Simulation' sub-forum. Many other message boards specifically for that.

Honestly, no, I wouldn't want it to go that direction. As someone mentioned above, avsim is a good forum for that stuff and should stay there. Problem with avsim is that there are very few RW pilots (plenty that act like it though). There are tons of pilots who use home sims who need real advice from real aviators. If there were a sub-forum, there would be an appropriate place to put those questions. That way, we can limit the discussions of flight simulators (X-Plane, FSX, et al) to that sub-forum.

Lol seriously? I understand your point but have you seen his other threads? And the fact that he doesn’t even respond to them anyways?

Come on the guy is trollin hard.

Either that or he is trying real hard to fit in with real pilots (such as we are :cool:) and is having trouble finding the right topic, question, etc. to do so. In which case, he probably doesn't make followup posts to his posts that get instant and mass ridicule because he has no response due to his lack of real aviation experience. That's my daily dose of psycho analysis for you.

Either that or he is trying real hard to fit in with real pilots (such as we are :cool:) and is having trouble finding the right topic, question, etc. to do so. In which case, he probably doesn't make followup posts to his posts that get instant and mass ridicule because he has no response due to his lack of real aviation experience. That's my daily dose of psycho analysis for you.
And I think you hit the nail on the head ‘dog!

No doubt it’s harder. Never flew a sim yet where it wasn’t. But it’s NOT realistic.
Sims are a great procedural trainer (real sims are a great trainer all around), but don’t use cheap sims to learn how to land an airplane. Use them to learn how to enter and execute holds for example.

Agreed.

To be honest I get a real kick out of reading everyone's responses to his posts. Most of those alone are worth the price of admission.

Yes. He posts and then gets blasted.

I've seen him post within threads in the past. He doesn't strike me as a troll at all. He strikes me as a 14 y/o kid who is really interested in aviation.

Blast is my middle name. PoA made me the man I am today :eek:

Go try to land that CRJ-700 in FSX in the real world without slamming the gear. I bet your first few attempts will be quite rough.

Back