Your first concert. . .

I met Harry a few times at Tom's house back in the 1970's. He was a natural storyteller. He'd start spinning a yarn that seemed like just ordinary conversation until it was about halfway through and started getting weird. By the time he was done I'd be laughing my ass off. Of course, I was just a gullible teenager, and I suppose that makes for fertile ground for any storyteller.

Tom told me once when Abigail was a baby that one of things that made him saddest about Harry's death was that Abigail would never get to hear Harry spinning a special yarn just for her.

Rich

Tom Chapin? If so, that is pretty darn cool.

I would have loved to sit around and listen to Harry tell stories. His songs are great and he can make you laugh, cry and think. Not too many can do that the way he did. Although "Cat's in the Cradle" is a great song, I think it is sad that so many people do not know much about his other work. It was his only number one but isn't even in my top 10 of Harry's songs.

I also read your post where you saw Arlo and Pete live as well. I must say, you hung out with the right crowds. :yes:

I would have loved to sit around and listen to Harry tell stories. His songs are great and he can make you laugh, cry and think. Not too many can do that the way he did. Although "Cat's in the Cradle" is a great song, I think it is sad that so many people do not know much about his other work. It was his only number one but isn't even in my top 10 of Harry's songs.

I also read your post where you saw Arlo and Pete live as well. I must say, you hung out with the right crowds. :yes:

Chapin? That song makes me want to shoot myself. Absolutley hate it.

However, I did meet Arlo Guthrie once in the mid 80's. There was an auditorium on the first floor of a building I worked in, and I went down the back stairs after work around 5:30, and there was a guy with long white hair smoking in the stair tower. There was a band warming up on stage, and I asked him who was playing the Arlo Guthrie tunes. He answered that it was his band. Yep, it was Arlo. I got two free tickets to that night's concert, and had a great time.

The worst concert?..........

Neil Young......without question! He was an hour late coming on to stage, looked out over the audience and said " I just can't see me doing this any more." Never played a note and walked off.

There were no refunds.

Sounds about like Van Morrison. I've never seen a concert of his, but a few people I know who have say he's the biggest ahole on the stage that they've ever seen. It's a shame, I really like his music.

When I was a teenager, I played in a folk group. We all lived in Brooklyn (as did Tom Chapin at the time). I was the youngest member of the band.

We did summer camps, lesser-known festivals, and things like that. Our oldest member was in his 20's and had an old van, and we'd pack ourselves and all our stuff in it and hit the road in the summer. We basically played for beer food money and enough gas to get to the next gig.

Folk music is a pretty small world, and we crossed paths with quite a few (relatively) famous artists. Partially because Tom lived in Brooklyn, and partially because he's just a nice guy, we became friends. But I joined the service when I was 17 and moved to Syracuse shortly after I got out, and we lost touch.

I met him again about about 10 years ago at one of Abby and Lily's first concerts, and he said he remembered me; but I think he was just being kind. I was just one of many erstwhile young folksingers that Tom and Bonnie welcomed into their lives -- and not even one of the better ones, at that.

Rich

When I was a teenager, I played in a folk group. We all lived in Brooklyn (as did Tom Chapin at the time). I was the youngest member of the band.

We did summer camps, lesser-known festivals, and things like that. Our oldest member was in his 20's and had an old van, and we'd pack ourselves and all our stuff in it and hit the road in the summer. We basically played for beer food money and enough gas to get to the next gig.

Folk music is a pretty small world, and we crossed paths with quite a few (relatively) famous artists. Partially because Tom lived in Brooklyn, and partially because he's just a nice guy, we became friends. But I joined the service when I was 17 and moved to Syracuse shortly after I got out, and we lost touch.

I met him again about about 10 years ago at one of Abby and Lily's first concerts, and he said he remembered me; but I think he was just being kind. I was just one of many erstwhile young folksingers that Tom and Bonnie welcomed into their lives -- and not even one of the better ones, at that.

Rich

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Herbie Hancock, circa 1979, Lincoln Center. He did one set, then according to the old jazzman who opened, "Herbie went back to the hotel."

Later caught a glimpse of Leonard Bernstein though the windows on the street, reading the paper at a desk.

Styx, circa 1974, at a tiny hall in Racine, WI.

Their first hit, "Lady", was starting to chart, and they could easily have filled an arena or small stadium by then, but they were contractually obligated to play.

It was standing room only, packed way beyond capacity, and each of us had consumed an entire bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 on the Lake Michigan beach beforehand. (We were all 16 years old.)

That was the night I learned I had an iron constitution and could hold my liquor, as I was the only one not to puke. :)

Interestingly, I saw Styx again in 1979, at the enormous Summerfest grounds in Milwaukee. They were once again sold out, with many more hit songs to their name, but I ended up in the emergency room after some idjit randomly kicked the toilet stall door in -- with my head on the other side.

That was the night I learned I could take a punch, although waking up in a filthy toilet stall with my pants still around my ankles was decidedly unfun. I had a helluva lump on the noggin...and never saw the end of the concert.

Then, there was Pink Floyd... Ah, the 70s were fun! :)

Last concert: June or July 2002. Goo Goo Dolls in Kotzebue, Alaska. They were there to do a video of some sort.

https://youtu.be/u7pfJrJ-WnE?t=91

We invited them to our weekly pilot party. They left Kotz thinking bush pilots are the wildest partiers they have ever been around. They were taking our pictures....:lol:

First was Steve Miller sometime mid-70s at Red Rocks. I was a tiny kid and my folks took me with them - apparently a lack of a babsitter, I don't know.

The story goes that I figured out how to get into the sound booth mid-crowd level about halfway up the amphitheater (for those unaware of where it is) and then walked down the tunnel and spent a couple of hours backstage while my folks worried about where the hell I had gone.

I eventually came back up the tunnel and right back to their seats and mom was flipping out. I don't remember much of it other than walking through the access tunnel and the tunes filtering into backstage from everywhere.

I think it was 1977 when I saw Harry as well. Best story teller ever. :yes:

Never saw Harry but his storytelling music style is amazing. Cats in the Cradle is not my favorite song of his though. It's too overdone.

Taxi, A Better Place to Be, and Mr. Tanner are absolutely amazing lyric writing that tells a complete story, from start to end, in a few minutes.

Harry often complained that his music couldn't get radio air time because his songs were just too long for radio. Ironic that he would also write WOLD, considering... Another great song.

It's really too bad he got squished on a highway. Maybe a little ironic when 30,000 lbs of bananas is considered.

-----

So many concerts it's hard to remember them all. Pretty much anyone anytime at Red Rocks is a memorable time, and we finally did Blues Traveller at their annual 4th of July visit a few years ago, something we should have done sooner.

-----

We also have been following and seeing Sister Hazel and avowed Hazelnuts since their second album that took them to national notoriety, and we had been following them and their crazy promotions guy Andy who started Sixthman Productions and singlehandedly kicked off the music theme cruise market.

We finally joined the band and all of the others on the cruise ship two years ago for Rock Boat XIV, after being lurkers for 13 years and we loved it. The band and Andy announced that Sixthman had been purchased by NCL that year, obviously a huge success.

We plan on being on board now, most years, whenever we can work it into our schedule. There's nothing like it. Wake up in the morning, grab a shower and a bite to eat after staying up until all hours watching whatever band out of many on board you liked in various venues all over the boat, no place to be the next day, having a beer, talking to other music lovers everywhere you go, all "trapped" on a sailing multi-concert venue with sets starting around noon and going into the wee hours of the morning. If you're the sort interested, there's party games and stuff going on all over the ship, and plenty of stateroom parties with even more music going and music crazy people everywhere.

The bands often serenade folks in elevators, hallways, anywhere they happen to be going, you're basically hanging out with them, although they do have a primary area they house the bands and give them some privacy if they want or need it. Most band members are fans of the other bands anyway, and can be seen standing in the crowd singing along to THEIR favorite bands, taking to folks about the music and maybe quietly signing a few autographs without upstaging the band on stage.

It's just an experience like no other in music and concerts. Only the large multi-day on-shore festivals come close... But you're not really living with the bands at those or seeing them at breakfast or grabbing a midnight snack.

If you can keep up the pace and go to a concert every couple of hours, you'll see enough concerts in four or five days to easily put some serious fiscal harm on your bank account if you were buying all those tickets ashore.

-----

One huge regret is not having gone to see SRV live. What a talent. We had opportunities and didn't go.

Well old Bruce going on tour next year. Checked ticket prices, holy cow! Over a hundred bucks in the nose bleed section! Guess I'll have to pass up seeing the Boss!

Wish I could have seen Pantera.

First time I saw Pantera, THEY were OPENING for.... Wait for it....

Skid Row!!!! :rofl:

I saw them a couple more times and got to see Pantera / Rob Zombie co-headlining. PHil had gone a little crazy at that point. He wouldn't quit b!tching about how MTV wont play their stuff and he started bashing other bands and talking smack about them.

Just shut up and play dude...

As a side note, he claims to have died of an overdose that night after the show and been revived. So maybe he was jacked up beyond "normal"

Three dog night with Marshall Tucker band. This was before we found out I needed glasses and I remember not being able to see crap.

First concert of choice was either Styx Grand illusion tour or Rush Hemispheres tour

One huge regret is not having gone to see SRV live. What a talent. We had opportunities and didn't go.

We saw him at Alpine Valley the weekend he died. 7th row, center. It was an amazing concert.

Clapton, Cray, and SRV, all on the same stage. When Stevie Ray finished his set, Clapton came on stage and proclaimed him as the best -- and I've certainly never heard/seen anyone better.

And the next day, he was gone. :(

Well old Bruce going on tour next year. Checked ticket prices, holy cow! Over a hundred bucks in the nose bleed section! Guess I'll have to pass up seeing the Boss!
You can thank all the kids stealing the music for these insane concert ticket prices. It's the only way artists can make money anymore.

I bought tickets to see Adele in concert for my daughter's 18th birthday (before Adele blew out her voice and had to cancel her North American tour) -- at $170+ per ticket! It was going to cost $500 for the three of us, plus travel costs to Austin.

I was sorta glad to get a refund on that one! ;)

1977.....Steve Miller at the University of Washington.

Buddy Foley and I dressed in white lab coats and pulled some tubes out of an old radio, and went to the rear exit of Hec Edmundson Pavilion.

The guard was happy to let us in to "fix the amplifiers."

BB King first.

Bad religion most recent.

1977.....Steve Miller at the University of Washington.

Buddy Foley and I dressed in white lab coats and pulled some tubes out of an old radio, and went to the rear exit of Hec Edmundson Pavilion.

The guard was happy to let us in to "fix the amplifiers."

LOL! That's awesome!!

Dad used to work for Honeywell back then. He had an early pager. Nobody had pagers back then.

He'd tell large venues he was a Doctor on call and he needed to be parked where he could leave quickly if needed and not blocked in.

They'd believe him and we would always be in the first few cars out of the parking lot at any large venue. LOL!

Haha that was hilarious. All those poor groups were ripped off back then. CCR really got hosed.

Lessee.....first concert was in 1974 with Rush opening for Blue Oyster Cult. Last concert was this year with Rush celebrating 40 years (really 41 years) of great music.

First concert: Elvis Presley

First concert without the parents: Rush

Thought I still had the stub in all my junk...

attachment.php

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 42
Weather Report, ? circa 1973.

You can thank all the kids stealing the music for these insane concert ticket prices. It's the only way artists can make money anymore.

QUOTE]

Eh not buying that. How much money does he need anyway. Seems he could look out for his real fans. Of course the market determines the prices, and people are buying the tickets. I thought when I paid around $300 for a pair of tickets to see Mellencamp last year was high. Ahh well, I'll just go flying instead. :D

Last edited:
My first concert headlined Grand Funk Railroad, Bloodrock was the opening act. I think it was 1971.

Some of you may recall Bloodrock's only hit song which was about a GA pilot. :D

Lyrics were something along the lines of "flying low, we hit something in the air".

Love me some GFR! Wish they'd kiss and make up and get back together before we're all gone.

My first major band concert was Chicago circa 1968-69 in Atlanta. But at the time, I don't think they were recognized as quite so "major".

My first major band concert was Chicago circa 1968-69 in Atlanta. But at the time, I don't think they were recognized as quite so "major".

Yeah it was about that time this girl I knew turned me onto their 2nd album, their first album (Chicago Transit Authority) not doing anything. I immediately bought the first and second albums. Both great albums along w/ the third album and the 4th, being the live album at Carnegie Hall. After that I wasn't into them that much as their music became too commercialized. Very happy they finally are getting into the R&R Hall of Fame, long long overdue. Sounds like Peter Cetera and Danny Serpino (sp) might perform w/ the band too! :yes:

Last edited:
In 1971 I saw the Grateful Dead with opening act Joe Cocker. I was 21 and that was my first concert. Sheltered childhood.

Back