Your first concert. . .

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
. . . who was it?

Accolades for the best and worst. Go.

Beach Boys. When they were still coherent.:)

Van Halen (with Sammy - I was 9 when Dave split)

Kiss w/ AC/DC opening, 1977.

Nauga,
whose taste has improved but whose hearing has not

Stevie Ray Vaughan - I was probably 10 or so. It was shortly before he died, so I'm happy my parents took me along, although it would have been cooler had I been a little older to appreciate it at the time.

1965 ...

NCM_03a.jpg

Kiss w/ AC/DC opening, 1977.

Nauga,
whose taste has improved but whose hearing has not

Almost as funny as the tour with Rick James as the headliner with Prince as the opening act.:rofl:

9? I call b.s. That would make me, gasp, older than you.

Now that I think about it I believe they split in 85 which would've made me and 11. 1984 was their last album that was done in 1983 and I was thinking they broke up before that was actually released

First concert was Powerman 5000 freshman year of high school with a very hot senior girl.

Unless local bar concerts don't count. If that's the case then

The Killers in May of 2013

Extra points if John Denver was playing with them then.
John did work for Randy Sparks around that time, but never as a member of The New Christy Minstrels, the group founded by Sparks.

Randy gave young Henry John Deutschendorf Jr., his first job, performing at Sparks' folk music nightclub, Ledbetter's, in West Los Angeles. John showed up for an audition still carrying his luggage, having just arrived in L.A. from college in Texas. "Little Johnny Deutschendorf" was too long a name to fit on the marquee, so Randy looked around his office and saw, in a frame above his desk, the sheet music from a song he wrote, called "Denver". He told the sign painter to put "John Denver" on the marquee. John protested, saying it would confuse him with actor Bob Denver. Randy convinced him otherwise, and reminded him that since the initials were the same, he wouldn't have to buy new luggage. After working for Randy, John left to join the Chad Mitchell Trio, then on to his solo career.

Randy arranged for John's first studio recording -- four songs; three of Randy's compositions, plus Ian & Sylvia's "Four Strong Winds". I have a copy of that vinyl pressing here in my office.

If you don't believe this story, you can ask John's uncle, Dave Deutschendorf, who today works for Randy Sparks and performs in concert around the country as a member of The New Christy Minstrels.

Last edited:
John did work for Randy Sparks around that time, but never as a member of The New Christy Minstrels, the group founded by Sparks.

Randy gave young Henry John Deutschendorf Jr., his first job, performing at Sparks' folk music nightclub, Ledbetter's, in West Los Angeles. John showed up for an audition still carrying his luggage, having just arrived in L.A. from college in Texas. "Little Johnny Deutschendorf" was too long a name to fit on the marquee, so Randy looked around his office and saw, in a frame above his desk, the sheet music from a song he wrote, called "Denver". He told the sign painter to put "John Denver" on the marquee. John protested, saying it would confuse him with actor Bob Denver. Randy convinced him otherwise, and reminded him that since the initials were the same, he wouldn't have to buy new luggage.

Randy arranged for John's first studio recording -- four songs; three of Randy's compositions, plus Ian & Sylvia's "Four Strong Winds". I have a copy of that vinyl pressing here in my office.

If you don't believe this story, you can ask John's uncle, Dave Deutschendorf, who today works for Randy Sparks and performs in concert around the country as a member of The New Christy Minstrels.

I know the story is true. But I thought John performed a few shows with the New Christy Minstrels.

Now that I think about it I believe they split in 85 which would've made me and 11. 1984 was their last album that was done in 1983 and I was thinking they broke up before that was actually released

Ack. Still makes me older.

Crystal Gayle with my folks

first one I had a choice to see was Pantera, early 90's

Hmmm

Let's see...

IIRC it was

1972 at the Hollywood Sportatorium in Broward Co Fla..

Opening act was Mike Pinera / Ram-a Tam . ?

Second act was a unknown band called Lynard Skynard.. They came out and literally kicked ass for over an hour..

Feature billing was the Doobie Brothers... They came on stage and when the venue turned up the house lights, they looked out and the place was half empty.. Seems alot of people left after Lynard.... Doobies played maybe three songs and quit.... Apparently they were real pizzed the warm up act stole the show....

I know the story is true. But I thought John performed a few shows with the New Christy Minstrels.
It's often reported that John performed with NCM, but according to Randy, he never did.

Randy jokes that he wants to mix those old JD recordings, which he owns, with the present NCM, so that John can finally be heard as a member of the group.

Avalanche Tour with stone sour, art of dying, theory of a dead man (they suck), and Halestorm. Last one was Foo Fighters w/Gary Clark Jr

Bruce Springsteen, Giants Stadium. I was 10 and I remember seeing an EZ Wider banner advertisement and I asked my mom what that was. I don't recall her answer though lol.

I have a funny story. My first concert was J. Geils back in 1982. They were pretty good but that's not story.

The warm up band was U2 and they were absolutely terrible! The crowd began chanting the play on words "F... U 2" and a lot of booing. The sound was cranked so high the speakers just distorted badly. Bono climbed upon this huge speaker and was crawling and writhing around, and it just looked silly. I was stunned a few years later when they made it big.

http://tours.atu2.com/concert/indiana-convention-center-indianapolis-mar-14-1982

I think my first concert attended was Charlie Daniels at the Arizona State Fair in the early-mid 80s with my parents. Could have been Kenny Loggins (pre-Danger Zone). I can't remember which one I saw first.

My first real concert (without parents) was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at Fiddler's Green Colorado in 1991.

Carlos Santana
Santana was one of the best and worst concerts I have ever seen.

Best because Carlos just rocks.

Worst because he was dual headlining with Dylan. And Dylan live was the WORST performance I've ever seen (and I like Bob Dylan's music).

Thankfully Dylan went first.

Queen. At the Oakland Coliseum, sometime in the early 70's. I was a pre-teen, and my little brother was about 9 or 10. My mom dropped us off and then went to visit our sister.

Jason Aldean at Crew Stadium a few years ago. It was awesome.

Back