NorCal Meetings Eternal page

Let's do it. Say...noon? Looks as though transient is near the compass painted on the ground? Can the Sac Arrow confirm that?

Anyone else going?

Yeah just to the North of it there are a couple rows of transient spaces in front of the airport office. I'm at 40% or less for going though right now.

Doesn't really matter to me where to, I just think a night flight would be cool somewhere, haven't flown in the bay at night for a while. Willows has good ol' nancy's with some good food open til 10 if I remember. Some din din for the norcal pilots?

Doesn't really matter to me where to, I just think a night flight would be cool somewhere, haven't flown in the bay at night for a while. Willows has good ol' nancy's with some good food open til 10 if I remember. Some din din for the norcal pilots?

I just got a nice e-mail from ZuluLog telling me I'm no longer night current…so, maybe, but with no passengers. Unless I take care of it after work (that's a possibility).

Not a lot of holes in the schedule over the next 10 days or so. When did you have in mind?

I take it Props is out?

There is a nice restaurant at Santa Rosa that's open for dinner, and a few lower-end spots across the street from Los Banos. Is the restaurant at Monterey worth it? Isn't there a good spot at Sac Executive?

Last edited:
I've been too busy to check the boards argh, Props isn't out of the question I can just meet you guys there, I really don't mind. I had a huge day o jumping today so I'm exhausted but if anyone wants a night flight sometime let me know, if I'm not responding PM me I guess.

N

There is the monthly display day at Frazier Lake Airpark this Saturday if anyone is interested in seeing some old airplanes at a cool grass strip. I'll be flying in with a friend around noon.

Here's something that might interest you Bay Area folk:

February 1 (Sat) 1:00pm SCFC Monthly BBQ

Mach Buffet Flying Group

Saturday, February 1, 2014
1:00 PM

San Carlos Flight Center
655 Skyway Road #215
San Carlos, CA 94070

There is the monthly display day at Frazier Lake Airpark this Saturday if anyone is interested in seeing some old airplanes at a cool grass strip. I'll be flying in with a friend around noon.

I heard you coming back, contacting NorCal for the Class C transition.

I was trying to practice high altitude canyon turns over Santa Cruz. Stupid idea; there was way too much traffic between IFR departures out of San Jose, arrivals into San Francisco, and Nick flying meat missiles around Watsonville. I didn't really expect that last one over 10,000 and would have gone further south without it....

I heard you coming back, contacting NorCal for the Class C transition.

I was trying to practice high altitude canyon turns over Santa Cruz. Stupid idea; there was way too much traffic between IFR departures out of San Jose, arrivals into San Francisco, and Nick flying meat missiles around Watsonville. I didn't really expect that last one over 10,000 and would have gone further south without it....
You must have been in the zucchini, I did hear 733ZK in the chatter.

More stuff coming up:

Mach Buffet Flying Group
Saturday
Sat Feb 08

9:00 AM
Fly-In Pancake Breakfast at Modesto Muni Airport (KMOD)
at KMOD

Sat Feb 08

12:00 PM

Aerodynamics 202 for Private Pilots @ (KSQL)

at San Carlos Flight Center

Other upcoming Meetups

Wed Feb 12

7:30 PM

Night Flying Safety—What Your CFI Didn’t Teach You @ KAPO

at West Valley Flying Club

MOD fly in might be fun; if it's raining and IMC out and I don't have to dump the usual passengers, I might be interested in some IFR flying for the pancakes. I'm just tired of the old 172 thing, someone have something cooler to come pick me up in? :yes:

Mach Buffet Flying Group

Brunch @ Nancy's Airport Cafe, Willows (KWLW)

Sunday, 10:00 AM Feb 16

22 Hungry Pilots :yikes:

Here's something that might interest you Bay Area folk:

February 1 (Sat) 1:00pm SCFC Monthly BBQ

Mach Buffet Flying Group

Saturday, February 1, 2014
1:00 PM

San Carlos Flight Center
655 Skyway Road #215
San Carlos, CA 94070

If you missed it I'm not surprised. I took off they were setting up the grill. When I landed they were packing it up. 20 RSVP'd but I think more than that showed up :D

This is a nice little event I've been to in the past:

New Meetup

Air Fair and Family Adventure Day 2014 @ Mariposa-Yosemite Airport (KMPI)

Mach Buffet Flying Group

Saturday, April 26, 2014
8:00 AM

Mariposa-Yosemite Airport (KMPI)
5020 MACREADY WAY
MARIPOSA, CA 95338

First time flying to Montgomery San diego from RHV.
Can anybody give advice on route selection etc?
Thanks

Last edited:
First time flying to Montgomery San diego from RHV.

Can anybody give advice on route selection etc?

Thanks

Probably up the coast and do one of the transition routes. Inland through the Tehachapi's gets bumpy.

Probably up the coast

Very nice route.

You might study ahead for the transition through Class B in LA or go high. If you don't show solid knowledge of the transition route you can get bumped out.
Have fun!

When I go to San Diego, I just pretty much fly direct and over LA Class B airspace and get a transition when I get there. I kind of prefer Gillespie to Montgomery but either is about as easy to get in to.

When going into KMYF, I will go down via KSBA or GMN then right though a LAX transition depending on altitude then stay along the cost and west of Camp Pendleton. You are over the water but can easily remain within a glide distance and be clear of the restricted space. Coming in from the coast you can get under and through to KMYF without actually entering the SAN Bravo, but of you are on FF ATC will most likely give you clearance to enter Bravo without even asking...or really needing.

Watch out for Miramar airstrip just north...make sure you are landing at the right field!

Last edited:
I have no experience to add, but just a friendly wave from an MYF local. It's beautiful out here now, when are you flying?

Thanks every one, for the valuable advice.

It will be difficult to go above Lax Bravo in my C 172. I was concerned about the restricted space, going too far west, out of gliding distance. Secondly, the San Bravo, (32/18 & 100/68) along the coast before I would be able to make turn for KMYF. what would be the plan B, if they did not clear me thru Bravo. The transition route in San Bravo appears to be out of the way.

I had planned for the weekend but rain and low ceiling scared me. May be next weekend.

It will be difficult to go above Lax Bravo in my C 172

If you are on FF from the start...I have yet to ever be denied LAX clearance on one of the transition routes in over a dozen trips over the past few months...even on stupid busy days where I though the controller was gonna snap and loose it. Always have a plan B...but LAX transitions are pretty easy once you learn them. I am always a fan of the coastal route, always seems to be quiet but there are plenty of other depending on your altitude.

I was concerned about the restricted space, going too far west, out of gliding distance.

You can pretty much hug the shore and still have plenty of glide distance, even at 5500'...especially if you have Foreflight or a good GPS to keep you clear of the Restricted space.

Secondly, the San Bravo, (32/18 & 100/68) along the coast before I would be able to make turn for KMYF. what would be the plan B, if they did not clear me thru Bravo. The transition route in San Bravo appears to be out of the way.

If you look and plan carefully, you can get to KMYF without entering SAN Bravo from the Northwest. They do literally hand out Bravo clearances like candy without even requesting. If you are above 3200' and below 6800'...you can make it all the way and remain clear if needed.

Key to So Cal flying in my opinion is all about FF from the start and they will get you where you need to go, They would rather have you in the system then have to dodge their IFR traffic around a random 1200 target with no contact. If you show up and knock on their doorstep at the last second, that is where I have heard other pilots having problems with clearances.

If you are on FF from the start...I have yet to ever be denied LAX clearance on one of the transition routes in over a dozen trips over the past few months...even on stupid busy days where I though the controller was gonna snap and loose it. Always have a plan B...but LAX transitions are pretty easy once you learn them. I am always a fan of the coastal route, always seems to be quiet but there are plenty of other depending on your altitude.

You can pretty much hug the shore and still have plenty of glide distance, even at 5500'...especially if you have Foreflight or a good GPS to keep you clear of the Restricted space.

If you look and plan carefully, you can get to KMYF without entering SAN Bravo from the Northwest. They do literally hand out Bravo clearances like candy without even requesting. If you are above 3200' and below 6800'...you can make it all the way and remain clear if needed.

Key to So Cal flying in my opinion is all about FF from the start and they will get you where you need to go, They would rather have you in the system then have to dodge their IFR traffic around a random 1200 target with no contact. If you show up and knock on their doorstep at the last second, that is where I have heard other pilots having problems with clearances.

Shawn you have been very helpful.Thanks for the input. It really makes new pilots like me more confident.
It was your detailed advice, that I was able to go to LA Bravo first time. Now I have been there 4 times since.

Back