NorCal Meetings Eternal page

That is a flipping awesome picture. This airport is on our list for this year -- never been there.
Thanks, I recommend it. The flight along the coast is beautiful. Only negative is that at lower altitudes to take in the scenery you wont have radar coverage for FF. Not much of a problem, not many people out there. Just monitor CTAF's of nearby airports for people in area. Heard a guy departing LLR saying he was headed south along the coast, told him I was headed north at 1500, he said he'd be at 2500, worked out well.

Apologies for the x-post but I figured this would be a good place to connect with Bay Area pilots to kick off a conversation about an ownership proposal there:

Bay Area pilots thinking of buying: I'm looking for three like minded pilots for an LLC to own a 2007 or 2008 Diamond DA40XLS to be based within 45 minutes drive time from KPAO. I currently own a 1/4 share in a 2007 XL in Dallas, TX. We are in our third year and it has been a dream come true. My employer has been acquired by a large company in Mt. View and I have been asked to relocate. So if I move, we will sell our share and try to do it again in the Bay Area.

Our current co-ownership arrangement was set up with the guidance of one of the best aviation attorneys in the country and I would do that again. As in my present situation, all co-owners (note the deliberate avoidance of the term "partners") would be expected to buy in with cash (est. $60k-$70k each) as there would be no lien on the airplane. So if you need to finance your capital share, you'll have to secure it with something other than the airplane. Fixed costs like hangar rent, insurance, and calendar based mx would be assessed monthly in equal shares. Variable costs like flight-hour based mx would be covered by a tach-hour dry rate assessment. We all pay for our own fuel/oil and at the end of each use the tanks are filled to a level agreed to by all the co-owners. Scheduling is done with Sporty's ShareZen online portal and each pilot is designated as "priority" for each week (Tue-Mon) in a regular rotation. If the priority pilot does not want to use the airplane on any day during their week, all are welcome to use it with coordination with the priority pilot. In the 2.5 years of my current ownership there have been no scheduling problems with four pilots flying 75-125 hours/yr each.

The DA40XLS is preferred for a significant number of reasons. We baked it off against C182 and SR20 and it won out on almost every front. Our present owners are all low time pilots, ranging from 250 to 400 hours each (all IR), so safety margin was weighed against performance and that calculus narrowed the field to those three models. The cost of ownership sealed the deal in favor of the DA40.

So if anyone has an interest in exploring whether the success of my experience in Texas can be repeated in the Bay Area sometime in the next 18 months, please PM me and we'll get the conversation rolling.

It was. Pretty brutal. Arrow held up but Sac a bit bruised. I did a KHAF run, payed tribute to Eddie Andreini at his hangar, had an awesome lunch and went home.

I could not resist the urge and went up Saturday. Made three touch and go's in pattern, pretty challenging to put my 172 on ground but managed it. Then flew south along 101 till king city and back.The ride almost smooth and except some mild to moderate turbulence. Upon return to RHV winds 270 @ 20kts were fun, but was able to land without much problem.

I will try to make it to LVK but not sure at this time.

I am flying to Stockton next weekend. Any suggestions for Stockton metro landing fee vs overnight parking etc.

I am flying to Stockton next weekend. Any suggestions for Stockton metro landing fee vs overnight parking etc.

Check airnav.com. Comments suggest no landing OR ramp fee if you park in the right place. And maybe even a crew car or a lift to town (I'd buy fuel if taking advantage of that).

Landing fees are rare. Ramp fees much less so, unless you buy fuel or stay for a very short time.

Though why you would want to go to Stockton is beyond me….especially with current weather. Remember to lean your Cessna at run-up if DA is above 3000. And stay hydrated and cool. Heat distress makes landings really suck.

Q: What's the City of Fresno's motto?

A: "At least we aren't Stockton!"

Seriously, wasn't Stockton voted most miserable city in the U.S. for the last few years? You couldn't pay me enough to go there intentionally. Well I guess you could but it would be a lot.

I have to admit, KSCK is not in my logbook. Though KMOD and KMER and even KFCH (old Fresno) are.

I thought the most miserable city in the US was Battle Mountain, NV. Or at least they are the armpit of the US. They have a billboard that says so. And the big "BM" on the hillside is a bit, umm, too descriptive….

armpit1.jpg

Last edited:
Check airnav.com. Comments suggest no landing OR ramp fee if you park in the right place. And maybe even a crew car or a lift to town (I'd buy fuel if taking advantage of that).

Landing fees are rare. Ramp fees much less so, unless you buy fuel or stay for a very short time.

Though why you would want to go to Stockton is beyond me….especially with current weather. Remember to lean your Cessna at run-up if DA is above 3000. And stay hydrated and cool. Heat distress makes landings really suck.

Thanks for the input.

Speaking about leaning for DA, I wanted to ask. A few weeks ago, I went to Harris Ranch landing around 3pm ATIS (from Coalinga) reported DA 1000. Landing went fine. I took off around 7 PM, I noticed airspeed would not go past 70 (Vy 75) after take off (RPM appeared to be above 2500), I was forced to keep the nose straight but scared of obstruction. after a long upwind and about 200 alt I turned cross wind, it was not until a few miles on downwind that it started picking up the airspeed and I climbed 7500 without any problem.

Q: What's the City of Fresno's motto?

A: "At least we aren't Stockton!"

Seriously, wasn't Stockton voted most miserable city in the U.S. for the last few years? You couldn't pay me enough to go there intentionally. Well I guess you could but it would be a lot.

You are right, Stockton declared bankruptcy about 2 years ago. I am going there first time. The reason is California dept of state hospitals has opened a new huge mental health facility in Stockton. I am going to work there for a day or two and see if I like it.

The google maps are showing 90 minutes driving but flying direct is showing 23 minutes on skyvector. so I am tempted to go flying. low ceilings in san jose and high DA in Stockton is definitely a challenge specially for a low time pilot.

Speaking about leaning for DA, I wanted to ask. A few weeks ago, I went to Harris Ranch landing around 3pm ATIS (from Coalinga) reported DA 1000. Landing went fine. I took off around 7 PM, I noticed airspeed would not go past 70 (Vy 75) after take off (RPM appeared to be above 2500), I was forced to keep the nose straight but scared of obstruction. after a long upwind and about 200 alt I turned cross wind, it was not until a few miles on downwind that it started picking up the airspeed and I climbed 7500 without any problem.

Descending air while trying to maintain climb rate? You weren't overloaded, right?

I'm not understanding why you couldn't pitch for 75. Negative climb? Lower the nose enough and you should get it. Unless obstructions or the ground are a factor, you should always pitch for at least Vy, even if the climb rate sucks, if for no other reason than to improve forward visibility.

At 70, you shouldn't have been behind the power curve.

DA of 1000 isn't that significant. You'll get that at Reid today, easily.

If you weren't reporting tach above 2500, I'd suspect an engine problem or carb ice.

Maybe you were running excessively rich due to all the cow farts. :)

Last edited:
Meetup

Thursday

Sunset Fly-In to Livermore (KLVK) Airport for Dinner

Mach Buffet Flying Group

Thursday, May 15, 2014

7:00 PM

Livermore Municipal Airport (LVK)

636 Terminal Circle

Livermore, CA

Are you going?

Yes

No

Busy week at work. I probably can't do either but Will try to fly this weekend.

You are right, Stockton declared bankruptcy about 2 years ago. I am going there first time. The reason is California dept of state hospitals has opened a new huge mental health facility in Stockton. I am going to work there for a day or two and see if I like it.

The google maps are showing 90 minutes driving but flying direct is showing 23 minutes on skyvector. so I am tempted to go flying. low ceilings in san jose and high DA in Stockton is definitely a challenge specially for a low time pilot.

Oh, most def fly if you can get the ground transportation squared away. Stockton is practically sea level, so DA won't be a factor.

In all honesty though, Stockton is a mix of suburbanite yuppievilles and barrios. March Lane, financial district, not too bad, except don't go into a bank there because it will probably get robbed. Charter Lane, no bueno.

Meetup

Thursday

Sunset Fly-In to Livermore (KLVK) Airport for Dinner

Mach Buffet Flying Group

Thursday, May 15, 2014
7:00 PM

Livermore Municipal Airport (LVK)
636 Terminal Circle
Livermore, CA

Are you going?

Sounds like fun but dinner venues kinda suck on weekdays, particularly when you can't stay over so you can knock a few back at the bar afterwards.

Leaning for cow farts...missed that chapter in the Pilots Aeronautical Handbook. No wonder they call it a license to learn...and I refer to it as COW-a-liga!

Oh, most def fly if you can get the ground transportation squared away. Stockton is practically sea level, so DA won't be a factor.

In all honesty though, Stockton is a mix of suburbanite yuppievilles and barrios. March Lane, financial district, not too bad, except don't go into a bank there because it will probably get robbed. Charter Lane, no bueno.

You probably aren't going to save much time (block time), but will definitely have more fun. There are rental cars on the field, but call ahead to Atlantic, they ran out one time on me, but did give me a crew car for the full day (because they couldn't get a rental for me). Nice FBO for a city such as Stockton :wink2:

Descending air while trying to maintain climb rate? You weren't overloaded, right?

I'm not understanding why you couldn't pitch for 75. Negative climb? Lower the nose enough and you should get it. Unless obstructions or the ground are a factor, you should always pitch for at least Vy, even if the climb rate sucks, if for no other reason than to improve forward visibility.

At 70, you shouldn't have been behind the power curve.

DA of 1000 isn't that significant. You'll get that at Reid today, easily.

If you weren't reporting tach above 2500, I'd suspect an engine problem or carb ice.

It remains a mystery to me. I was not over loaded for sure. Theoretically DA should have improved in the evening. You think a slightly low pressure in one of the main gears could be the reason.

It remains a mystery to me. I was not over loaded for sure. Theoretically DA should have improved in the evening. You think a slightly low pressure in one of the main gears could be the reason.

Once you're off the ground, that won't matter. It could make a long roll, but if that's significant, you'll feel it -- it will require more rudder than usual on the ground, including on the landing roll.

I can only speculate about head games one plays with oneself. It's really hard to push the nose down when the ground is closer than expected. You could have over-rotated or lifted off early, leading to that. That's possible in principle, though I'd be much more inclined to go there on a 177 than a 172. Too much pitch can lead to failure to climb, but you would be flying around at 55 or slower, not 70. I presume you would have known it if the flaps were down or if you took off (really) lean.

All speculation. It's kinda hard to come up with something that really works with a 2500 RPM tach on a fixed pitch Cessna.

Descending air CAN do this. If you normally climb at 500 FPM and fly into a region of 500 FPM descending air, you don't climb. Descending air in general makes you slower if you try to maintain altitude. Was there actually descending air there? If so, other regions of rising air would be expected. It may or may not accompany thermal turbulence -- a mountain wave, for instance, can be really smooth (I once caught one approaching OSI VOR that resulted in a smooth Vno climb in a 172).

Last edited:
San Carlos Airport Day

Attachments

• Revised 2014 Flyer.jpg
    Revised 2014 Flyer.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 19
It's basically at the terminal building. Hiller will have hops and props and the festivities will be in front of the terminal building.

My 172 ran out of annual on Saturday. My last IA was in a different city and the last minute scheduling could not work out. Any recommendations for some independent IA to do annual at RHV.

I believe you can get a special flight permit from San Jose FSDO to ferry the aircraft to your regular IA out of annual, for the purpose of an annual inspection. There may be operating restrictions, such as only required crew members and day VFR conditions.

I believe you can get a special flight permit from San Jose FSDO to ferry the aircraft to your regular IA out of annual, for the purpose of an annual inspection. There may be operating restrictions, such as only required crew members and day VFR conditions.

That's a good tip. Do I need to go to their office to get the permit?

Anyone taking any flights down to the LA area? I live in the Bay Area and wanted to see if I could catch a ride with someone who was already flying to the LA area. Let me know, I of course will contribute towards to pro rata portion of the flight IAW with the FAR.
Email me
jreineck1@hotmail.com

Anyone taking any flights down to the LA area? I live in the Bay Area and wanted to see if I could catch a ride with someone who was already flying to the LA area. Let me know, I of course will contribute towards to pro rata portion of the flight IAW with the FAR.
Email me
jreineck1@hotmail.com

It would still probably be cheaper to fly Southwest.

What's up with the Nor Cal Air Force. Gotta go to page 2 to find the thread !!!

Can you guys recommend airports to fly to, with kids where they could spend a couple of hours having fun.
My kids have gone to KHAF a little too often!

Shelter cove. Black sand beach. Good fish and chips. Columbia walk into state park.old gold mining town. Ride stage coach, pan for gold. Ice cream and old candy store. Good food at the Pepper Mill.main road out of airport. cross hwy on the right, old town to the left. Also a path if you want to go to town to the left out of the terminal. Watch the density altitude it gets hot up there. Have fun...

Shelter cove. Black sand beach. Good fish and chips. Columbia walk into state park.old gold mining town. Ride stage coach, pan for gold. Ice cream and old candy store. Good food at the Pepper Mill.main road out of airport. cross hwy on the right, old town to the left. Also a path if you want to go to town to the left out of the terminal. Watch the density altitude it gets hot up there. Have fun...

Also Little River and have Rex take you into Mendocino (shuttle service). Monterey and get a rental car.

How it going John. Get a new plane yet? Nut tree also is a good spot if you have young ones. Good food options train ride, nice restored carousel, kids size chess and checkers. Shopping for the wife. Cheapest av fuel in the Bay Area. Check it out online.

How it going John. Get a new plane yet? Nut tree also is a good spot if you have young ones. Good food options train ride, nice restored carousel, kids size chess and checkers. Shopping for the wife. Cheapest av fuel in the Bay Area. Check it out online.

Buying airplanes is tough. I just had another one fail the prebuy today. :mad:

I took my kid there, and we ended up not leaving the field because of all the old airplanes being restored in the open hangars. There are a TON.

I had to tear him away to return the rental on time.

Back