NorCal Meetings Eternal page

I've been to Modesto many times for the pancakes. The pecan pancakes with honey butter are the best.

I don't have the plane early enough to make it to MOD. Not sure where I'm going to head since the weather is looking iffy.

I am planning for Fullerton, first time thru LAX Bravo. Hopefully would not get chewed by the controllers and will return in one piece.

Are you familiar with the VFR corridor?

I am planning for Fullerton, first time thru LAX Bravo. Hopefully would not get chewed by the controllers and will return in one piece.

Good luck with your trip...and first time in LAX Bravo!...once you do it, it is a piece of cake.

What route and transition did you decide to plan?

Random factoid I just learned for departing KFUL with FF...your ONLY departure option if you want to be on FF is a heading of 120 regardless of runway. Once you get handed off to So Cal, you tell them your intentions then are vectored or allowed to resume navigation. Kept wondering why I would always get heading of 120 after departure and ground told me it is an agreement between KFUL and ATC for departing FF traffic.

The CAF breakfast is this Saturday at Modesto. Nice event - good food - good turnout.

And another event next week:

Night Fly-In, Dinner & Trivia @ Livermore (KLVK)

Tell a friend

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

6:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Beebs Sports Bar & Grill @ Livermore Muni Airport (KLVK)

915 Club House Dr, Livermore, ca (map)

Is anyone up for a Night Flight "Fly-In" followed by Dinner and a Trivia Contest?

On the "Full Moon" night of January 15, 2014. Livermore (KLVK) to eat dinner and participate in a FREE trivia contest hosted by Beebs Sports Bar & Grill (adjacent to taxiway "Juliet").

Trivia starts at 1830 hours and normally goes until 2030 hours. Teams for trivia range from 1 to 6 players and prizes are awarded to the top winning teams.

I have to go to Cupertino on Wednesday. Maybe I will fly into RHV and then catch this on the way home.

Good luck with your trip...and first time in LAX Bravo!...once you do it, it is a piece of cake.

What route and transition did you decide to plan?

Random factoid I just learned for departing KFUL with FF...your ONLY departure option if you want to be on FF is a heading of 120 regardless of runway. Once you get handed off to So Cal, you tell them your intentions then are vectored or allowed to resume navigation. Kept wondering why I would always get heading of 120 after departure and ground told me it is an agreement between KFUL and ATC for departing FF traffic.

I chickened out.
The briefer told me, freezing level at 9000 and winds of 19Kts in the tejon pass. I had planned for 7500 alt. Also LA basin visibility 3-5 miles and haze. broken ceiling along the central coast 4000.

After reading your previous advice again, I had planned to follow FWY5 thru the pass until new hall pass, then head west along 118 FWY (descend to 5500), past van nuys airport and set up 323 radial for LAX to use coastal route. this would have given me enough time to set up for radial
along with back up thru SFRA.
As a back up, I had planned SFRA if Bravo was declined, line up for SMO VOR and cross lax. pass FWY 91/405 and then to turn east wards along the north side of 91 fwy. I felt overwhelmed with so much at handle along with poor visibility, haze, also unfamiliar terrain and destination.
However, my friends later told me, it was sunny and beautiful in anaheim :rolleyes:.
Once again thanks for your input it is very valuable to me, otherwise, I would not have even thought of going to LA basin.

The freezing level isn't an issue if you maintain VFR. You don't get ice without supercooled water.

A 4000 ceiling is uncomfortable, but the terrain over Cuesta is barely at 1500. I've been over Tioga in 20 knot north winds (forecast calm!), and it's not pleasant, but it's doable. As long as you don't add clouds to the mix, just fly high. It's a whole lot better above the peaks, and give yourself lots of terrain clearance.

Last edited:
I chickened out..... I felt overwhelmed with so much at handle along with poor visibility, haze, also unfamiliar terrain and destination.

Good call. :yes:

It should get more comfortable with time and experience.

Ok... I did a KHAF run and had a mag-freakin-nanamous time. I had some baggage, lovely baggage, that precluded getting with you guys.

The CAF breakfast is this Saturday at Modesto. Nice event - good food - good turnout.

And another event next week:

Night Fly-In, Dinner & Trivia @ Livermore (KLVK)
Tell a friend

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

6:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Beebs Sports Bar & Grill @ Livermore Muni Airport (KLVK)

915 Club House Dr, Livermore, ca (map)

Is anyone up for a Night Flight "Fly-In" followed by Dinner and a Trivia Contest?

On the "Full Moon" night of January 15, 2014. Livermore (KLVK) to eat dinner and participate in a FREE trivia contest hosted by Beebs Sports Bar & Grill (adjacent to taxiway "Juliet").

Trivia starts at 1830 hours and normally goes until 2030 hours. Teams for trivia range from 1 to 6 players and prizes are awarded to the top winning teams.
Looks like this will be more fun than a seminar, I'll be there.

Fun, it's always good to meet people.
There were two pilot groups there though, I might have sat down with the wrong one. :rofl:

Heh, yeah, kinda like the last Half Moon Bay meetup with you, John, Clearprop and myself. There was a whole big group of canard-dudes that also flew in for their own meetup.

I flew to RHV yesterday, but I had just put a new battery in the plane that morning and didn't want to push my luck in the dark. Stupid battery was only one year and nine months old. I had to get a jump in Modesto on Tuesday to get home. Two bad cells and four marginal.

Heh, yeah, kinda like the last Half Moon Bay meetup with you, John, Clearprop and myself. There was a whole big group of canard-dudes that also flew in for their own meetup.

I flew to RHV yesterday, but I had just put a new battery in the plane that morning and didn't want to push my luck in the dark. Stupid battery was only one year and nine months old. I had to get a jump in Modesto on Tuesday to get home. Two bad cells and four marginal.
So when's the next one?

Who's flying Saturday? Sunday ? Where?

I'll fly tomorrow at least. Gonna wash the plane early afternoon and fly somewhere close to dry it. Maybe HAF, Frazier Lake, RHV, LVK, O69, wherever.
I'll check here late morning and see who's going where...
The weather's great, time to fly!:yes:

Finally I did it.

I flew from KRHV to L45 to KLAX to KFUL. First time thru class Bravo.
Yaaaah:yes:

Fun, it's always good to meet people.
There were two pilot groups there though, I might have sat down with the wrong one. :rofl:

Yes. FOG / SCFC went there and Mach Buffet Meetup went there.

Two groups. I almost drove.

I did get to be a pax on Saturday in a 182 out of San Jose International. Annual Santa Clara 99s Whale Watching flight south of Monterey and lunch at Watsonville. 35 people showed up. Perfect weather. Many whales.

Yes. FOG / SCFC went there and Mach Buffet Meetup went there.

Two groups. I almost drove.

I did get to be a pax on Saturday in a 182 out of San Jose International. Annual Santa Clara 99s Whale Watching flight south of Monterey and lunch at Watsonville. 35 people showed up. Perfect weather. Many whales.

I got the original notification for the full-moon fly-in from the FOG group. When I got there, there was a small group, and it was the Mach Buffet people so I sat with them. Then more people from FOG arrived but I just hung out with MB.
When I left, there were a lot of people there, the Beeb's parking area had about 15 airplanes parked.

As for the whale-watching, sounds like a good time! Pics?

Easy in an Arrow, or pretty much any retract. Not bad in a 172, especially in winter. But in a 152?

Not easy, but they do have a quoted 12.6K service ceiling. Probably ok in winter, summer not so much.

Easy in an Arrow, or pretty much any retract. Not bad in a 172, especially in winter. But in a 152?

Not easy, but they do have a quoted 12.6K service ceiling. Probably ok in winter, summer not so much.
Hey, it's a 150 (more flaps). And there you guys go dissin' 150's again:D.
Besides, the service ceiling is 12,650feet.:rockon:

I'm planning a trip to San Diego for this spring. SFO Bravo is always easy, LAX might not be...

San Diego is my next too.
First time thru Lax was not bad at all. The controllers were very pleasant.
Shawn's advice (a few pages back) was priceless.

Gotta drop the meat missiles during the weekends but if someone is around tomorrow (today) 1/21 or weds I'm always up for a meet up somewhere, I miss flying cross country :)

I'm up for pretty much anywhere, what's in Napa? Healdsburg, Ukiah, Nut Tree, Petaluma? Maybe the Sierra foothills?
The forecast is awful:rofl: , near 70 and clear most everywhere.

Ukiah has a couple burger joints across the street. Booneville is just over the hill and has several places within 15 minute walk.

Hey, it's a 150 (more flaps). And there you guys go dissin' 150's again:D.
Besides, the service ceiling is 12,650feet.:rockon:

Nononononono I was not dissing your airplane! I was defending it!

(And rounding off, sorry to short you 50 feet.)

Ukiah has a couple burger joints across the street. Booneville is just over the hill and has several places within 15 minute walk.

Ukiah sounds doable, been to Boonville, but up for it again.
Sooo, who all's interested? I can do Saturday, and if anyone has any other destination suggestion, bring it!

Ukiah sounds doable, been to Boonville, but up for it again.
Sooo, who all's interested? I can do Saturday, and if anyone has any other destination suggestion, bring it!

I haven't been to Ukiah before, so I'm game.

It's real iffy for me. Saturday possibly. Ukiah would be fine. I've flown in there a couple times on business.

I haven't been to Ukiah before, so I'm game.

It's real iffy for me. Saturday possibly. Ukiah would be fine. I've flown in there a couple times on business.

Let's do it. Say...noon? Looks as though transient is near the compass painted on the ground? Can the Sac Arrow confirm that?

Anyone else going?

Back