Zombie Apocalypse Survival: Weapons Load Out

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
The previous 2 posts covered getting the plane out of the hangar and how to get 100LL enroute with power out everywhere in the country:

- https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/zombie-apocalypse-survival-the-hangar-door.119251/
- https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...pse-survival-fuel-from-the-100ll-pump.120275/

So now something a bit more fun - what weapons will you bring with?

Obviously you need to defend yourself from Zombies. But you may very well need to defend yourself from other survivors too. Your plane has enough room for your family, your dogs, plenty of food and fuel and survival stuff. Your just past W&B but tell yourself you're willing to go another 40lbs over to have weapons. So 40lbs...not an ounce more....for any combination of firearms, ammunition, knives, spears, hatchets, slingshots...whatever. What do you grab?

ps. Zombies can be killed with a single shot to the head but that requires .223cal (or greater). They go down with a single shot to the heart but needs to be larger than .357. A single shotgun slug or 00-buckshot to the brain works. Otherwise 2 shotgun blasts to the heart/body works if at close range. A single broad headed arrow to the head works but that's it. Otherwise you need to resort to creative non-firearm methods!

1) Keltec SU16 and a bunch of .556 in P-Mags
2) GSG 1911-22 and a bunch of .2LR
3) any .22 caliber rifle
4) Keltec KSG bull-pup shotgun and a mix of slugs and shot
5) 1911 or Glock in .45 and 250 rounds of ammo

Obviously you need to defend yourself from Zombies. But you may very well need to defend yourself from other survivors too. Your plane has enough room for your family, your dogs, plenty of food and fuel and survival stuff. Your just past W&B but tell yourself you're willing to go another 40lbs over to have weapons. So 40lbs...not an ounce more....for any combination of firearms, ammunition, knives, spears, hatchets, slingshots...whatever. What do you grab?
How long does it take to shoot up <40 lbs of ammunition (less than 40 pounds due to the weight of the guns themselves)? How much of that <40 lbs are you going to allocate to reloading gear and supplies? Where are you going to obtain primers, after the first year? Once the ammo is gone, you're left with throwing the guns at them.

A couple of large-caliber firearms and limited ammunition for last-ditch defense; otherwise, spears, pikes, and swords. Bows, since they're light.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
How long does it take to shoot up <40 lbs of ammunition (less than 40 pounds due to the weight of the guns themselves)? How much of that <40 lbs are you going to allocate to reloading gear and supplies? Where are you going to obtain primers, after the first year? Once the ammo is gone, you're left with throwing the guns at them.

A couple of large-caliber firearms and limited ammunition for last-ditch defense; otherwise, spears, pikes, and swords. Bows, since they're light.

Ron Wanttaja

Since he's fighting a fictional enemy, wouldn't fictional weapons be just fine?

A honey badger. It’s all you would need and you’d have 10 pounds to spare.

Yesterday I packed up my Cabela's gun case after a friend sewed up a moving blanket to make a case for my Savage 22/20 ga. I packed it with my Hipoint 10mm carbine and my Ruger 10/22. I loaded the pockets with 10 slugs and 50 #7 shot; 100 10mm and 300 22 cal. and magazines and cleaning kit. I had room for my Witness 10mm compact pistol and I still keep my Taurus 22 pistol in my pocket. I probably broke the weight limit but it's ready for my hog hunt next month.

Ron Wanttaja

You use your first 40 lbs taking all that stuff from other people. Like said in the OP "But you may very well need to defend yourself from other survivors too."

You use your first 40 lbs taking all that stuff from other people. Like said in the OP "But you may very well need to defend yourself from other survivors too."
Amen - you sure as hell know they will be taking all your food, water and supplies if they brought 40lbs of offense and you just brought 40lbs of food and water.

I live on a sailboat in Alaska - how well do they swim?
Nope, they drown. One of my future zombie apocalypse posts will have to be about where to go. Being on a boat (as long as you can get fuel) would be awesome.

A honey badger. It’s all you would need and you’d have 10 pounds to spare.
Unfortunately badgers and all other mammals get zombified if zombie blood gets in their eyes or mouth. Sorry @Arm3. WOuld be cool to watch him take down some zombies. But gonna be freak on freaky when he zombies out and looks right at you.

Yesterday I packed up my Cabela's gun case after a friend sewed up a moving blanket to make a case for my Savage 22/20 ga. I packed it with my Hipoint 10mm carbine and my Ruger 10/22. I loaded the pockets with 10 slugs and 50 #7 shot; 100 10mm and 300 22 cal. and magazines and cleaning kit. I had room for my Witness 10mm compact pistol and I still keep my Taurus 22 pistol in my pocket. I probably broke the weight limit but it's ready for my hog hunt next month.
Love it. The whole family can be armed and defending themselves.

A Heritage Rough Rider with 22lr/22WMR cylinders in this holster and a few thousand rounds until I can upgrade to a better 22lr revolver. A Gerber Strongarm (since it survived "The Gauntlet") and a sharpener and a Leatherman Charge. It would be tough not to take along a Ruger 10/22 with the Magpul X-22 Backpacker stock for one of the family to use and to hunt food.

And one of these (I'm saving up for it still...): https://americanresistancegear.com/...e-breakdown-havoc-combo-pistol-556-300blkout/ with whatever ammo the remaining weight distribution allows.

OK, well in that case, a suppressed 22LR and a brick of 22 ammo. As my SAS friend likes to say "if I have a pistol and you have food. I have food".

When it gets right down to it, a lightweight AR and a Glock 9mm. Parts and spare ammo will be all over the place.
This seems to about the best kit w/r to weight and punch. I don't even own any 223 (AR's) anymore in favor of 308...but for zombies 308 is just overkill (bad pun!) and to heavy for the number of rounds. Heck with just 223 and 9mm you could even bring a simple single stage re-loader. Heck even my Dillon progressive isn't that heavy.

So stealing from your kit:

(1) - AR in 223, shorter barrel and decent illuminated sights + 300rds
(4) - Glock/??? 9mm's with several 20rd magazines and all have red dot sights + 500rds
(1) Single stage reloader and dies for 223/9mm
(1000) primers for 223, (1000) primers for 9mm
(2) lb jars of power for 223 (forget which right now)
(1) lb jar of powder for the 9mm
(16) button cell batteries for the sights.
Simple cleaning kit.
I think there is still some weight left over so a short barrel shotgun with some slugs
(1) 44mag revolver with 25rds - to defend against people and big critters or a Henry 45-70 with at least 30rds.

...with that reloading out in the field and no neck trimmer you're gonna want to avoid rapid fire on the AR in case one doesn't quite fully chamber. I think it would all be about accuracy. Make sure all the guns have really good sights/scopes so it is always 1 shot 1 zombie.

Can't remember where I heard it, but someone once said, "Zombie apocalypse? With the number of guns in this country, I give it two weeks. After a couple days things will get back to normal and on our way to work we might roll down the window and shoot a few while we wait for the light to change."

And funeral directors do their part by tying shoelaces together. It will be hilarious.

G29 and G20 (hers and his) 300 rounds (call this 7lbs including holsters) + one .22lr conversion kit (a few ounces) and 200 rds of .22 for small game
Remington 1100 (8lbs) with changeable chokes. 50 rds birdshot for hunting, 50 rds sabot for zombie and larger game. Call 100 rds of 12ga 8lbs
Mini 14 (7lbs) with scope and 500 rds of .223 (10lb)

For those that have called out a .45. why? you saw that it takes at least a .357 and a .45 is well short of that. Not to start a LOP/ROP discussion on guns, but see above 10mm.

It's desperately tempting to dump the shotgun in the above and add the lightest 22 game rifle I could find, but Ithink this give you 4 guns that can actually stop the zombie, 4 guns effective against raiders, the ability to hunt small, large and airborne game, and 4 different types of shells you can scrounge for. Admittedly, you're not finding 10mm in any abandoned homes to restock with, but fair odds to find 12ga and .22 in small quantities.

Can't remember where I heard it, but someone once said, "Zombie apocalypse? With the number of guns in this country, I give it two weeks. After a couple days things will get back to normal and on our way to work we might roll down the window and shoot a few while we wait for the light to change."

And funeral directors do their part by tying shoelaces together. It will be hilarious.
it actually is interesting as a thought exercise to see if the "zombies infecting people" wave vs the "people putting zombies down" wave. It's an exponential thing. since one zombie can bite dozens of people. it matters a lot if people are putting them down quickly or if they are having time to run around biting people to where they become overwhelming.

it actually is interesting as a thought exercise to see if the "zombies infecting people" wave vs the "people putting zombies down" wave. It's an exponential thing. since one zombie can bite dozens of people. it matters a lot if people are putting them down quickly or if they are having time to run around biting people to where they become overwhelming.
That's a good point - what is the incubation period? I'm sure there will be a lot of false positives that will have to be considered collateral damage.

The model would also have to consider "I don't have to outrun the zombie, I just have to outrun you!". I wonder how many people get bitten by multiple zombies? If they do bite multiple people, but it's always the same guy with that bum knee, maybe it doesn't spread as quickly as we thought?

Only time will tell...

As much as I like my .357 lever gun and revolver, and as much as I love picking things off at > 200 yards with a .222, .223, or whatever... it’s a suppressed .22 rim fire for me. Pistol for backup... and 35# of ammo.

9mm anything with self-defense cartridges for good combination of availability and stopping power at close range (partial to 1911 frames myself just for nice mix of stability, accuracy, and capacity) and 22lr scoped semi-auto rifle. Ain't gonna win any testosterone trophies, but you'd be set.

9mm anything with self-defense cartridges for good combination of availability and stopping power at close range (partial to 1911 frames myself just for nice mix of stability, accuracy, and capacity) and 22lr scoped semi-auto rifle. Ain't gonna win any testosterone trophies, but you'd be set.

9mm won’t put them down per post 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9mm won’t put them down per post 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Understood based on that post, but if a single broadhead arrow to the head would do the trick, I fail to see how a hollow point or other self defense 9mm cartridge would be any less effective....?

Understood based on that post, but if a single broadhead arrow to the head would do the trick, I fail to see how a hollow point or other self defense 9mm cartridge would be any less effective....?
Agreed, if we throw out the requirement in the OP, I'd make several different choices.

A towel and a Rambo knife. There's documented proof that's all you need.

When it gets right down to it, a lightweight AR and a Glock 9mm. Parts and spare ammo will be all over the place.

I like that idea. I personally stick with very common calibers for that reason. Where you gonna find 10mm, .300 Blackout, etc, when crap goes south? If the crap has completely hit the fan, there will be 5.56, 9mm, and .45 laying on the ground. I'm also sure to have something chambered in 7.62x39 in case the enemy is carrying Russian derived weapons. The moral is to let the enemy provide you with spare ammo after he has been retired from the field.

I’m a class III manufacturer. I’m not exactly short on things that go boom to choose from.

40lbs doesn’t even come close to covering my ammo.

Real world, if the end with here probably just being my compound blow and bolt action, fill whatever I had left weight wise with ammo.

With my current walking and right hand skills, I’ll be good with a Sig in 9mm with a bunch of mags pre-loaded... and y’all can use me as a decoy to keep the bad guys busy until they overrun my position. Give y’all time to get away.

LOL.

Then tip back a whiskey and say thanks for the sacrifice. Hahahaha. Ahh Hollywood.

Back