Zombie Apocalypse Survival: The Hangar Door?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Let's say it happened. The power is out. Everything is out. It's not safe at home anymore. You're one of the few in the country with a fueled up plane sitting in the hangar. You'll hand prop the 46yr old machine if needed.

Each night lately you wake up soaked in sweat. Its the same nightmare every night. No GPS and you are lost. The interstates, large cities and distinct lakes make no sense because you've never actually looked down before! Well that and you have a low wing. Miraculously though you still have your sectionals from your PPL checkride 13yrs ago. And one more thing...hope.

You've been receiving the same message for the past 5 days: A safe zone comprised mainly of attractive young females who know how to hunt and cook. There are also a few millenials who somehow survived the complete crash of the cellular network. Perhaps the last of their generation, they are not expected to make it. We will mourn their loss, but not now.

The survivors are looking for a leader. You are a Pilot. Strike that. You are THE Pilot. Their leader.

There's just one damn problem...that 3 million pound, 40ft wide, electric motor, cable driven, pure steel, forged by MEN of a better age HANGAR DOOR. And no portable generator.

How do you open the door enough to get the plane out?

Every hangar I have seen that has a heavy electric operated bi-fold door also has a chain/pulley emergency back up.

And if it doesn't.......

.....just use the blue tip wrench.....

Mine is set up with a socket on the chain-drive gear reduction that I can run with my 18v DeWalt drill.

Of course, Mrs GRG55, who habitually borrows my tools without telling me, will have used up all the battery juice on some project or another, so this door option will be totally useless in any event.

Find a F-4 Phantom, any model; chain it to the door, leave about 100 feet of slack. Start both engines, release brakes, and after rolling 50 feet, tap burner.

If there isn't a F-4 handy, a F-15, C-130, or SR-71 will get 'er done. . .if you use the C-130, run the chains to the main gear struts. No AB of course - run up to full power, then release. . .you can leave the wheels chocked if you like - it'll just climb right over them anyway.

Every hangar I have seen that has a heavy electric operated bi-fold door also has a chain/pulley emergency back up.

And if it doesn't.......

.....just use the blue tip wrench.....
No backup chain/pulley hence my question. With my luck and a torch....I'm pretty sure the door would fall back in on the plane!

It was disassembled before it was installed. Take it apart.
Okay, maybe I could remove pins and get the lower half to fall down and then prop up the top half just enough to get it out☺

First thing we must do. Is THE Pilot medically current and flight review current? If not, no point in trying to open the hangar door.
The pilot is on Basic Med, the flight will be in the lower 48, no zombie apocalypse restrictions and the ADSB out is working which is good because his airport sit's under a Mode C veil (which is unmanned). The flight review is good for another 4 months. He will have to do 3 to get night current though:)

Okay, maybe I could remove pins and get the lower half to fall down and then prop up the top half just enough to get it out☺
I need a time, date and location you expect this to happen so I can rent a plane and get out of dodge. :)

The pilot is on Basic Med, the flight will be in the lower 48, no zombie apocalypse restrictions and the ADSB out is working which is good because his airport sit's under a Mode C veil (which is unmanned). The flight review is good for another 4 months. He will have to do 3 to get night current though:)
Good answer. Gotta stay within the regs no matter what!

Mine can be cranked up, if I really had to get it open (though I'd need to be on a ladder after the first few feet). Of course, I've got a 80KVA generator driving it and if that doesn't work I could probably come up with another solution.

How would this pilot log their hours?

I live in CA, my $700 /month hangar has a manual door so it’s no problem!
That's my problem, our hangar only costs $100/month (for real). I guess they use the other $600/month to pay for these battleship doors.

BTW @RudyP, Zombies do not eat Cirrus Owner brain. That was discovered the 3rd day into the outbreak. Scientists did not figure out why before all their brains were eaten. It's probably complicated.

That's my problem, our hangar only costs $100/month (for real). I guess they use the other $600/month to pay for these battleship doors.

BTW @RudyP, Zombies do not eat Cirrus Owner brain. That was discovered the 3rd day into the outbreak. Scientists did not figure out why before all their brains were eaten. It's probably complicated.
Zombies are probably smart enough to stay away from zima.

. It was the one time I did not fuel my plane before putting her away. 1/hr fuel..... that's it
You know a Mooney could squeeze 192 kts and 520nm out of that hour of fuel. FYI...Zombies eat Mooney owner brain (sorry, but true).

How would this pilot log their hours?
Here's what I do know. There would be no IFR since there's no system. Maybe fly it solo with foggles and log it as PIC, Simulated Instrument, Actual, Dual Given and Safety Pilot time.

You know a Mooney could squeeze 192 kts and 520nm out of that hour of fuel. FYI...Zombies eat Mooney owner brain (sorry, but true).
I see.... Rub it in I fly a Piper SLowKee 140. A heard of turtles make better time.... :cool:

When civilization is eventually restored, you'll still have to answer the 'never have you ever' questions for your medical so might as well enjoy it while you can.

I live in CA, my $700 /month hangar has a manual door so it’s no problem!

Only in California would you have to pay $700 for a zombie-proof hangar...and have a manual door. :eek:

Mine is set up with a socket on the chain-drive gear reduction that I can run with my 18v DeWalt drill.

Of course, Mrs GRG55, who habitually borrows my tools without telling me, will have used up all the battery juice on some project or another, so this door option will be totally useless in any event.

I assumed that you essentially lived in a safe zone, and the horses were emergency food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back