Youtube Pilot and her dad perish in TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's instructor told her no GPS use (not that we owned one at this point) while learning. The plane she learned in did have an old clunky VOR-DME RNAV in it. I had showed my wife how to look up the RNAV coords of the destination airport in the brown book and put them into the system. She did that one time with the instructor and he then restated the restriction NO RNAV PERIOD.
I’m not sure I agree with that extreme, either. Kind of like saying you can’t use flight planning software until after your checkride…often the result is learning how to use it improperly.

Students and instructors need to understand that unless you’re flying a bare-bones Champ, 40 hours is probably not enough to learn everything you should to be ready for a checkride or beyond.

all the gizmos in the airplane should be there to make life easier.... not harder.
It's funny that you say that since I have heard that all the driving gizmos i.e backup cameras, proximity sensors and auto drive have made kids poor drivers since they rely too heavily on these things.

It's funny that you say that since I have heard that all the driving gizmos i.e backup cameras, proximity sensors and auto drive have made kids poor drivers since they rely too heavily on these things.

They can only make life easier if you know how to use them properly. Some people can learn on their own, but most can’t (or won’t).

A young lady I know recently bought a vehicle with the push to start button. She thought the button had to be held in until the car started. She just didn't know ... :)

A young lady I know recently bought a vehicle with the push to start button. She thought the button had to be held in until the car started. She just didn't know ... :)
I could see myself as making that mistake, if I didn't know better. Because I have a snow blower with a start button, and that just engages the starter. I believe that's SOP for some race cars, too. (Off topic, but whoever first put an electric starter on a snow blower was a good guy. Pull starting an engine at 10F is a PITA.)

I could see myself as making that mistake, if I didn't know better. Because I have a snow blower with a start button, and that just engages the starter. I believe that's SOP for some race cars, too. (Off topic, but whoever first put an electric starter on a snow blower was a good guy. Pull starting an engine at 10F is a PITA.)

Similarly, the start button on my motorcycle has to be held. It just engages the starter, like your snowblower. Pretty common, actually.

You laugh, but:

Our Subaru Outback has push button start, it’s momentary contact. Push and release the button and the computer starts the car.

Our Jeep Wrangler has push button start, you have to push and hold the button until the engine starts. If you release before it starts, it stops cranking. When we first bought it, I was like WTF???

You laugh, but:

Our Subaru Outback has push button start, it’s momentary contact. Push and release the button and the computer starts the car.

Our Jeep Wrangler has push button start, you have to push and hold the button until the engine starts. If you release before it starts, it stops cranking. When we first bought it, I was like WTF???

I was very sympathetic to her as my pickup has a tap to start button but the motorcycle start button has to be held until it starts (engages the starter).

I politely pointed out that she just needed to tap the start button and the computer would do the rest. She thanked me for the info ...

Any one ever drive a early 60's ford, withe starter switch on the floor, pushing clutch, with left foot, mashing starter switch, and manage gas pedal with right foot, adjusting choke with one hand. It was a contortionist dream.

I was gifted a book (by the my wife's flight instructor then) written in the 1950's about this new technology: VOR. He gave it to me because some of the pictures in the book featured a Navion instrument panel. Of course, the book went on to boast that now that we had VOR technology, pilots would never get lost again...

Any one ever drive a early 60's ford, withe starter switch on the floor, pushing clutch, with left foot, mashing starter switch, and manage gas pedal with right foot, adjusting choke with one hand. It was a contortionist dream.
I bet the Ford engineer behind that was the same one, in their infinite wisdom, who placed the horn on the turn signal stalk in the 70s.

Pushing in the clutch to allow starting vs pushing in the brake to allow starting. We’ve connected the old with the new.

The clutch interlock came long after automatic chokes (and fuel injection even) came standard let alone the floor starter button.. My first manual all you had to do is put the car in neutral, set the parking brake, and you didn't need to touch either the brake or the clutch.

The clutch interlock came long after automatic chokes (and fuel injection even) came standard let alone the floor starter button.. My first manual all you had to do is put the car in neutral, set the parking brake, and you didn't need to touch either the brake or the clutch.
Except when it’s really cold, and you have to sit in the vehicle with the clutch pedal to the floor because the gear oil in the transmission is solid, and even in neutral it moves when you release the clutch.

*chuckles* sounds like my ATP checkride, with non-accumulator props on the clap trap, 2 days before my written was to expire. It's not hyperbole in the least to say my left knee was involved in finishing that checkride in lieu of a mx discontinuance and a 5AMU fee to re-take it.

you might enjoy this clip I made after a day trying to fix my snow-blower

I bet the Ford engineer behind that was the same one, in their infinite wisdom, who placed the horn on the turn signal stalk in the 70s.
Drove one of those stupid vehicles once. I had borrowed it for an errand and suddenly needed to use the horn right pronto. Hands flying over every surface of the steering wheel to no avail I wound up shouting so hard my chest and lungs hurt for a full day.

Drove one of those stupid vehicles once. I had borrowed it for an errand and suddenly needed to use the horn right pronto. Hands flying over every surface of the steering wheel to no avail I wound up shouting so hard my chest and lungs hurt for a full day.
There were countless accidents in Florida when they put the high beam switch on the turn signal stalk as countless drivers got their feet caught in the steering wheel.

Are DPE’s and CFI’s notified when one of their students/examinees leaves a smoking hole in the ground?

Are DPE’s and CFI’s notified when one of their students/examinees leaves a smoking hole in the ground?
Does ones driving instructor/school get notified whenever a person gets involved in an accident? No one else is responsible for other's actions. Is a CFI/DPE responsible for that pilot for life!?

Does ones driving instructor/school get notified whenever a person gets involved in an accident? No one else is responsible for other's actions. Is a CFI/DPE responsible for that pilot for life!?
Is a training course required to get a drivers license?
Is a drivers license issued by the federal government?
Is every motor vehicle accident which results in fatalities investigated by a separate federal entity other than the one who issued the license?

in this particular case I would not be surprised if the CFI and DPE are queried about this pilot.

That seems painfully short sighted. Nobody gets better without feedback. Not athletes, not coaches, not pilots, not surgeons and not teachers.

I extended student pilot’s ninety day solo for another instructor who was not available.

I observed the learner doing everything to standards in a two place and carefully noted everything in his log book along with my endorsement.

On his very next flight he crashed his single place gyroplane spectacularly without injury.

I got a call from the FSDO because the student pilot had only sent in a copy of my correctly worded endorsement without any of the annotations in his log book of what had been done to access his skills.

The call started out somewhat adversarial until I sent him a copy of the log book entry that went with the endorsement. It ended on a friendly note.

I have CFI friends who have been sued for perceived omissions in training and even if it was completely frivols it still cost them a lot of money.

The FAA wants “certificated flight instructor” to mean something and a certain amount of oversight is to be expected.

I suspect the CFI who provided her complex training/endorsement and high performance training/endorsement will get a call from the FSDO.

I extended student pilot’s ninety day solo for another instructor who was not available.

I observed the learner doing everything to standards in a two place and carefully noted everything in his log book along with my endorsement.

On his very next flight he crashed his single place gyroplane spectacularly without injury.

I got a call from the FSDO because the student pilot had only sent in a copy of my correctly worded endorsement without any of the annotations in his log book of what had been done to access his skills.

The call started out somewhat adversarial until I sent him a copy of the log book entry that went with the endorsement. It ended on a friendly note.

I have CFI friends who have been sued for perceived omissions in training and even if it was completely frivols it still cost them a lot of money.

The FAA wants “certificated flight instructor” to mean something and a certain amount of oversight is to be expected.

I suspect the CFI who provided her complex training/endorsement and high performance training/endorsement will get a call from the FSDO.
I just can't imagine what the heck a CFI/DPE is supposed to do to help a pilot after they get out of the plane and close the door?

NTSB: Was the pilot a reckless nit?
CFI: They were fine with me.
NTSB: Case closed.

I just can't imagine what the heck a CFI/DPE is supposed to do to help a pilot after they get out of the plane and close the door?

NTSB: Was the pilot a reckless nit?
CFI: They were fine with me.
NTSB: Case closed.

Yeah, but to investigate zero incidents ever would be the same as no threat of ever enforcing anything with respect to certification. Unrealistic. If that were the case, I could print my own cert and start training. Yeah, not that extreme, but you can start to see why that’s not possible. They gotta look into some cases sometimes to some extent. This one might be one of those.

Indeed. Taking this to the macro point, the fear of material repercussions, even if imagined, appears a necessary deterrence to moral hazard in this space.

Formal notification is possible. It could be an inivitation to schedule a 49 U.S.C. 44709(a) aka 709 reexamination within 15 days if the FAA believes the incident or accident was triggered by indadequate training or testing.

I can see the instructor being asked to interview with the inspectors. If the instructor documented that an HP endorsement was conducted in accordance with the regulation I don’t see it being easily proven by the FAA that it was their fault. If they pour over the post-endorsement videos and determine she never fully understood all the systems, maybe.
An attorney in a law suit may be able to put pieces together to claim it, but again she went many hours flying after the endorsement. If there is any indication she operated something correctly after the endorsement, how can you then claim she wasn’t taught?

How would the FAA know who her instructors were or who signed off High Performance and or Complex. Isn't it just a log book entry? So unless they get access to log books or statements of others, no way of knowing, right?

How would the FAA know who her instructors were or who signed off High Performance and or Complex. Isn't it just a log book entry? So unless they get access to log books or statements of others, no way of knowing, right?
Her YouTube channel has videos of her receiving flight instruction. Knowing what she was flying, the date, and from where it probably wouldn't be hard to figure it out if they really wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back