YouTube guys

I know this is an old thread and I may be old fashioned, but "Youtuber" and "Social Media Influencer" shouldnt be career choices.

How about TV producer? Actor? Cameraman? Sound engineer? Editor? How many people have to be involved in producing entertainment to make it legitimate?

That said.... the girls (and guys I would assume...) who make a living sticking their ass out on Instagram....I think we have common ground there.

That said.... the girls (and guys I would assume...) who make a living sticking their ass out on Instagram....I think we have common ground there.

Even then, Instagram "influencers" are not really any different than models in traditional advertising. They get paid to make products look good and part of any complete, happy, shiny life. Not saying that's a good thing, no better than traditional print and film advertising where pretty people promise you happiness by having the right car, or jewelry, or whatever, but pretty much equivalent. All that YouTube and social media has done is made these careers more accessible by reducing the requirements to go through established media companies (be it TV production companies or advertising companies). At least YouTube has reduced the barrier to entry for some really good content (e.g. SmarterEveryDay, Numberphile/computerphile, CGP Grey, Mark Rober and other "educational" YouTubers). Try pitching Discovery or NatGeo to make a long running series on mathematics like Numberphile.

I know this is an old thread and I may be old fashioned, but "Youtuber" and "Social Media Influencer" shouldnt be career choices.
It's the not the most financially responsible career choice. But if you're one of the few who can make a living doing it, more power to you.

I'll never quit my day job but I've been taking it much more seriously over the last two to three years and right now it's the most profitable side gig I've ever had.

That's a great thing but it definitely changes how you look at it and it quits becoming about hey I want to make this really cool content and more along the lines of hey I want to grow this business.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I still spend about 30 hours a week writing jokes and editing video so it's also not easy.

I still want the content to be as funny as I can make it but about half my time investment is now spent on looking for avenues to branch out, collaborate, make merchandise and whatever else comes my way so you have less time to spend on the content itself. I'm sure it suffers as a result.

I'll never quit my day job but I've been taking it much more seriously over the last two to three years and right now it's the most profitable side gig I've ever had.

That's a great thing but it definitely changes how you look at it and it quits becoming about hey I want to make this really cool content and more along the lines of hey I want to grow this business.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I still spend about 30 hours a week writing jokes and editing video so it's also not easy.

I still want the content to be as funny as I can make it but about half my time investment is now spent on looking for avenues to branch out, collaborate, make merchandise and whatever else comes my way so you have less time to spend on the content itself. I'm sure it suffers as a result.

I think it's cool and admire you creative guys who have the talent to monetize some of this and earn some flying money.

But I bet that's the same with real entertainers right? Jay Leno was way more edgy before he got the tonight show. everyone got mad when Metallica went mainstream and quit being this word of mouth band that was sweating it out in the nightclubs. I suspect everybody who's out to entertain, create content, do some sort of art has to change when they realize they're part of a business.

Sorry. Those are really dated examples of pop culture. I don't watch TV lol. I don't have any modern references haha

But I bet that's the same with real entertainers right? Jay Leno was way more edgy before he got the tonight show. everyone got mad when Metallica went mainstream and quit being this word of mouth band that was sweating it out in the nightclubs. I suspect everybody who's out to entertain, create content, do some sort of art has to change when they realize they're part of a business.

Well, it becomes a choice. Are you in it to make money (there's nothing wrong or shameful about that) or to make the content you want? If you try to do both there will often be tension between the two. Know your priorities. I've never been above "semi-pro" in music but I've never been tempted to make my living that way. (At least not since I became a grown up. Purposefully not sharing an age...) So I've never wondered "If I tweak this or leave that out would this sell more?"

I have little to no sympathy for folks who are "true to themselves" then whine about people not buying their stuff. Choose one or the other.

(Not aimed at you or anyone else on here Bryan. Your stuff is funny and if you can sell shirts, mugs and advertising, more power to you.)

You-Tube. ==== too many ads

I enjoy Matt's videos and Stevo on occasion. Don't like Niko...everything is an emergency always. Overall, I think the aviation youtubers are good for GA. Lots of kids are interested in aviation but don't take the plunge...maybe watching it on youtube will help.

I definitely feel the same way about #2, and slightly less now than I used to be about a "Youtuber" mainly because today inorder to make 1 good video a week you have to spend a lot of time editing. YouTube once was a nice place for the average person to host a video they made that was a clip or like 5 mins max. Today I'd say that it's popularity and content is encroaching on Major Network status. With more and more cord cutters more views are on YouTube than traditional cable channels and YouTube/Google is now a legitimate option for a TV provider with "YouTube TV" and the chrage like one too at $65/mo.

Unfortunately there isn't the same numbers of Aviation enthusiasts as there are Automotive, but look at Donut Media or TFL both are Automotive networks hosted solely on the YouTube platform. They not only have the OnScreen "stars" they have entire staff of writers, editors, cameramen in the past these would've been Cable shows (think SpeedVision circa 1995) but today they do YouTube instead and have more freedom and probably make the same or more money.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around "tweeting" or facebooking as an actual Job, seems to me it's more or less a way to pass the time while on the crapper than a Job; I guess I'm just becoming an dinosaur myself.

Niko...everything is an emergency always
yeah, he's awful. It's too bad because I bet the objective content itself of some of the videos is not bad but everything is a raging catastrophe with him

"I FLY A PLANE!! REALLY HIGH, ALMOST HAVE AN EMERGENCY!! LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!"

I have little to no sympathy for folks who are "true to themselves" then whine about people not buying their stuff. Choose one or the other.

My intent years ago when I was working on a career in music was to be a songwriter. Between the shysters and the hustlers and the people trying to make you be someone you're not I found I had to get away from it. I still write and enjoy tracking in my home studio but I do it for me. If someone else likes it that's a bonus :cool: ... not a necessity. o_O

My intent years ago when I was working on a career in music was to be a songwriter. Between the shysters and the hustlers and the people trying to make you be someone you're not I found I had to get away from it. I still write and enjoy tracking in my home studio but I do it for me. If someone else likes it that's a bonus :cool: ... not a necessity. o_O

Hell, you got the start of a song right there! :D

Call me a Gen-Z'er but I do have to agree with what @Jim K said.

How about TV producer? Actor? Cameraman? Sound engineer? Editor? How many people have to be involved in producing entertainment to make it legitimate?

Now imagine all of those jobs combined into one. A lot of big people who post flying videos (and other generes as discussed later) have to make sure the audio is clear, the color is bright and vibrant to set the mood for the flight, editor to cut and sequence all of these flights, and more. The argument then becomes "what about game YouTubers like PewDiePie and Mini Ladd". Are we going to ignore Bob Ross, who painted with little editing at all and a lot of people seemed to like that. Heck I found Bob Ross relaxing. This becomes a little bit of a stretch by sports like football and baseball. The argument is "Why are you watching someone play a game when you can play it". Doesn't that argument apply to sports too? Can't you just go outside and play ball with friends an family (given the weather is nice :p) YouTubers range from people like HowToBasic all the way to people who practically make tv-shows and documentaries... for free! Phillip Defranco runs news shows with his own staff almost daily except Friday. MKBHD runs excellently edited tech shows with his own staff too. All of this, still for free to us besides some advertisements you can skip through using your arrow keys.

On that note, the advertisements I have noticed much more, but its hard to fault YouTubers. They are getting copyright strikes left and right for using 7 seconds of a song in their intro/outro (GradeAUnderA), getting flagged for dropping the f-bomb once, mentioning tragic events (Phillip Defranco; yet the main-stream gets away with their headlines and gets ads on their shows). Yes it does get annoying, but their income has to come from somewhere.

Ok some of you, you go to "YOU"tube, where the purpose is to submit videos of yourself doing stuff and find people taking video of themselves doing stuff, then complain because youtube is full of people videoing themselves doing stuff.........

On that note, the advertisements I have noticed much more, but its hard to fault YouTubers.
No, I don't blame the one-off guy who likes a song and uses it without realizing the consequences, but why is it "hard to fault" a YouTuber who regularly produces and monetizes videos for thousands of subscribers for having multiple commercials including those which pop up in the middle of the video?

Here are the ad options we have available. I would never choose ads during playback.
"Display ads" is defaulted and disabled.
I choose overlay, sponsored (The little cards that pop up you can click away).
Skippable video ads and only before the video.

I am guessing if you check all the boxes, you make more money but I think that would be annoying as heck to someone watching especially if a longer video where it does it multiple times.

Anyway, a little insight to what control we have.

ads.jpg

Look for browser add ons that zap ads. I haven’t seen a single ad on YouTube in a long time.

@PaulS

I have been openly critical of what I call "YouTube Heros". I define that as people who only come here to post their own wares and never contribute anything that doesn't drive clicks to their channel. I've taken PLENTY of flack from people saying, "I like their vids" and the like.

On the other hand, I often grab a song or a movie clip or what have you and post it in threads. No clicks for poor ole Ravioli.

@SixPapaCharlie is actually NOT a YouTubeHero. He's a long time and continuing contributor who "happens to be" doing the YT thing. He doesn't post his stuff here for click bait, his subscribers share it with us. He also posts on threads other than the latest vid. I think his videos have gotten longer and less funny, and I've written that here. I don't put that on his channel because as f'ed up as it you may find it for me to write it here, I'd never do that on his money making channel.

P1D is another case... He's not even a member, but my critique of his use of the "go to" statement of "Does it look like I need the money" rubbed me wrong.

Obviously, these people have time on their hands. Otherwise they wouldn't be making videos. Why should they get paid anything? It doesn't cost anything to turn the camera on, or sit in front of a screen for a few hours doing the editing. They should be doing it for the love of the art and not be getting paid at all.

Obviously, these people have time on their hands. Otherwise they wouldn't be making videos. Why should they get paid anything? It doesn't cost anything to turn the camera on, or sit in front of a screen for a few hours doing the editing. They should be doing it for the love of the art and not be getting paid at all.

in fact, they should be paying us. we're the ones who have to endure 40 minute long videos of flying straight and level. we're the ones who have to watch pilots busting one reg after the other. we're the ones who have to suffer through any aviation101 video (ok, I don't, I have to draw the line somewhere). where does the madness end?!?

I don't know, some youtube content is exceedingly well done and I don't begrudge them earning some money for their efforts.

My favorite thing (by far) on youtube is the FortNine channel. Geared towards motorcyclists, it's fabulously well written, directed, acted, filmed, and produced. Great stuff! Just about every one of their vids are fantastic!

Watch this at 4k, it's stunningly well done.

40 minutes? Ain't no one got time for that. If your aviation vid isn't wrapped up in under 6 minutes I'm not watching. I remember one posted on here "Approach to mins to DXR" or something....it was like 35 ******* minutes long. An approach does not take 35 ****ing minutes. Only ones I pretty much watch are the ones @motoadve does. Quick, to the point, and quite a bit different from the boring enroute crap that gets put out there.

My favorite thing (by far) on youtube is the FortNine channel.
What????????
Not my channel?
I'm hurt. Stabbed in the back. Why not just give the knife a twist as you pull it out?

Oh, OK. Their videos are better done than mine. So. Yea.

But still...

@PaulS
@SixPapaCharlie is actually NOT a YouTubeHero. He's a long time and continuing contributor who "happens to be" doing the YT thing. He doesn't post his stuff here for click bait, his subscribers share it with us. He also posts on threads other than the latest vid. I think his videos have gotten longer and less funny, and I've written that here.

That actually doesn't bother me. It's actually a very good point. And it is why I have quit sharing my own stuff. used to I would make a video and then go post it in 97 places and then I realized that's pretty stupid for me to assume that all these people are going to be interested in some little thing I'm doing.

As an administrator of a few things I'm seeing more and more people doing that and tons of complaints of people upset about people who never contribute and just drop their own videos everywhere. If you think they're too long and not funny then I don't need to be putting them in front of you it actually does more harm than good.

It makes a whole lot more sense just to put them on a channel where people who do like them can choose to watch them. If they share them, that's great for me but I've dialed back the sharing probably 99% from a year ago.

that said, I do share other people's videos and I'm not sure if that's annoying or not.

One would need a lot of millions of views each month to quit the day job. That being said, if throwing an ad at the beginning that people can skip helps throw a little 100LL money ones way, more power to them. The more exposure/interest in general aviation the better for all us.

One would need a lot of millions of views each month to quit the day job. That being said, if throwing an ad at the beginning that people can skip helps throw a little 100LL money ones way, more power to them. The more exposure/interest in general aviation the better for all us.
I don't mind that at all. It's interrupting the video with a non-skippable commercial which gets me to stop watching.

Overlays and cards actually irritate me more than video ads. I have to find my mouse, position the pointer exactly over a 1/8" square, and click. Meanwhile I missed several seconds of video because it continued to play while I concentrated on the aforementioned task.

The only place I don't mind unskippable ads is at the end of videos. Then I can just close the browser or click to the next video without watching, listening to, or seeing the ad. I prefer noiseless ads, so the banners/pop-ups win over the full screen ones for me. :)

Only ones I pretty much watch are the ones @motoadve does. Quick, to the point, and quite a bit different from the boring enroute crap that gets put out there.

Here is my version of a quick (18 seconds), to the point video:
:eek:

Overlays and cards actually irritate me more than video ads. I have to find my mouse, position the pointer exactly over a 1/8" square, and click. Meanwhile I missed several seconds of video because it continued to play while I concentrated on the aforementioned task.
How can you be a pilot of you can't multitask by watching the video and closing the banner? Forwarding this to the FAA right now.

If you feel like you are not seeing enough ads on Youtube, you will love the latest changes.
Today, only videos longer than 10 minutes are eligible for mid-roll ads. Starting in late July, all videos longer than 8 minutes will be eligible for mid-roll ads. As part of this change, we will turn on mid-roll ads for all eligible videos. This means videos where you may have opted out of mid-roll ads will now be opted in. [emphasis mine] Videos that already have mid-roll ads will not be impacted. Future uploads from monetizing channels will also have mid-roll ads turned on by default.

The good news is that it appears that a creator can disable this "feature" for all videos with one setting. (Yes, I did that.)

Back