Your Summer Flying Plans

The last time I set foot in the Yoop was over 30 years ago... most of us Downstaters don't even think of it as part of Michigan. ;)

I mean, do folks there even speak English? :confused:

Ducks and runs...

Downstaters??? I'm going to have to pull your Michigan Card... There are two types of Michanganders: Yoopers and TROLLS.

The last time I set foot in the Yoop was over 30 years ago... most of us Downstaters don't even think of it as part of Michigan. ;)

I mean, do folks there even speak English? :confused:

Ducks and runs...

Liz believe me you will loose out if you don't attend 6Y9er ( or the Wings FlyBQ for that matter:D) The UP is is beautiful!!! and 6Y9er is more fun than should be legal!!

Liz believe me you will loose out if you don't attend 6Y9er ( or the Wings FlyBQ for that matter:D) The UP is is beautiful!!! and 6Y9er is more fun than should be legal!!

I'm wondering if some of the stuff that happened *was* legal! :rofl: :eek:

Just in case it wasn't obvious, I was being tongue in cheek... yep the UP is awesome, it's just so durned FAR!! Kinda hard to think about going in a $140/hr rental, and I don't trust any rentals enough to cross LM in, making it even... farther.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, I was being tongue in cheek... yep the UP is awesome, it's just so durned FAR!! Kinda hard to think about going in a $140/hr rental, and I don't trust any rentals enough to cross LM in, making it even... farther.

I flew in from Central Ohio, and Clark flew in from Colorado. Doesn't sound so far for you.

...and Nick flew in from New Mexico the first year.

I flew in from PA in an Archer 2 years ago. :D

I'm going to fly that way this year. :D The Aztec just isn't reliable enough.:arf:

What, my 95% mission success rate isn't good enough for you?

95% you say?? not by MY experiance...
Planned to go to Gastons, made it.
Planned to go to 6Y9, didn't make it.

That's only 50%.

You're leaving out half the story. Instead of going to 6Y9 I loaded up 19 dogs, 4 cats, and 1 cougar in my Aztec and brought them from Georgia up north without any problems.

You're leaving out half the story. Instead of going to 6Y9 I loaded up 19 dogs, 4 cats, and 1 cougar in my Aztec and brought them from Georgia up north without any problems.

You still failed to make it to 6Y9. Her analysis is therefore spot on.

I'm still a student. I'll be happy to fly at least 3 hours per month.

Far? You are further north than I am. And my plan (at the moment) is to drive...

(OK - plan A is to drive to my brothers in Minnesota and fly in from FCM - but the drive is the same distance)

I plan to buy a C150 or C172 and officially start taking lessons. This is all predicated on getting my medical certificate [SI], I have been waiting for since 8/15/2009. The process is frustrating, leaves a lot to be desired and that's an understatement!

rgds,

Herman

Last edited:
I plan to buy a C150 or C172 and officially start taking lessons. This is all predicated on getting my medical certificate [SI], I have been waiting for since 8/15/2009. The process is frustrating, leaves a lot to be desired and that's an understatement!

rgds,

Herman

Welcome to POA Herman!! You may want to consider posting in Medical Matters, You can do that Anon and Dr. Bruce will likely chime in on what you might be able to do if anything to get the darn SI moving forward

Welcome to POA Herman!! You may want to consider posting in Medical Matters, You can do that Anon and Dr. Bruce will likely chime in on what you might be able to do if anything to get the darn SI moving forward

Adam, Thanks for the welcome.

RE: the SI, I am hopeful that I am close to getting it now. Last I heard, they seem to be running a backlog of 90+ days or so after each communication. I am certain that I have been flagged as either an "interested airman" or may be a "pest".

Far? You are further north than I am. And my plan (at the moment) is to drive...
Where are you, I thought you were at ONZ? I'm, like, about 15nm north of there.

But anyway, what I said is it's far (meaning $$$$) to fly in a rental. In my own plane, where expenses are whatever they are and I can pretend that only the fuel counts toward the flying cost ;), I wouldn't hesitate.

Where are you, I thought you were at ONZ? I'm, like, about 15nm north of there.

But anyway, what I said is it's far (meaning $$$$) to fly in a rental. In my own plane, where expenses are whatever they are and I can pretend that only the fuel counts toward the flying cost ;), I wouldn't hesitate.

Um, hate to break this to you, but we've flown up every year from south of Chicago in a RENTAL. :)

Fly more than I did last year - which will probably mean flying to run in new locales.

- Meet more PoAers
- 6Y9, fer shure

You seem to be circling around PA... is there just something you don't like about the PA POA people? :devil:

I would stop in at Ridge Soaring. But time and leg lengths prevail.

After passing my IR checkride, I'd like to fly around Lake Michigan, and stay overnight on Mackinac Island.

If you are going to Mackinac Island, consider staying in St. Ignace and flying out for the day, because...

1. The hotels are wayyyy cheaper on the mainland
2. The cancellation policy on the mainland is much more flexible (esp. important for us VFR only folks)
3. It's a way cool flight over and back
4. The landing fee is cheaper than a boat ticket
5. There are several nice but not overpriced hotels on the mainland and taxi service to and from the airport.
6. The guys at the St. Ignace FBO were wonderful last time we were there.
7. You get to call for a horse drawn taxi to take you to town (it's walkable if the weather is great and you are in great shape)

If you are going to Mackinac Island, consider staying in St. Ignace and flying out for the day, because...

1. The hotels are wayyyy cheaper on the mainland
2. The cancellation policy on the mainland is much more flexible (esp. important for us VFR only folks)
3. It's a way cool flight over and back
4. The landing fee is cheaper than a boat ticket
5. There are several nice but not overpriced hotels on the mainland and taxi service to and from the airport.
6. The guys at the St. Ignace FBO were wonderful last time we were there.
7. You get to call for a horse drawn taxi to take you to town (it's walkable if the weather is great and you are in great shape)

Thanks Mary. I've been meaning to get up there, and that sounds like really good advice.

Not sure too far out yet.
SIMCOM in Orlando the 23rd of April.
Up to Oshkosh for niece's graduation in May.
Gaston's and Wisconsin Dells in June for POA and niece's wedding.
Greenville, SC in JULY.
Hawaii in August, but commercial. Will try to fly in Maui and log a landing.
Local flights in between.
No new ratings planned or new planes in mind.

Best,

Dave

The official start of summer will be when I make an Ercoupe flight open-cockpit!

I am planning to depart North Las Vegas (VGT) on 1 May with a T-41B, destination Augusta Me (AUG). Stops at Alamosa CO (ALS), Plattsmouth NE (PMV), Green County Dayton OH (I19), Elmira NY (ELM), Basin Harbor Vt (B09)

Returning to VGT via Norwood MA (OWD), First Flight SC (FFA), Tulahoma TN (THA), Sulfur Springs TX (SLR), Moriarity NM (0E0).. Hope to be back by 15 May.

Is it your plane or a military flying club? I have about 350 hours in a 41C that was part of the Army flying club that I was in for a bit. I flew it out to osh 4 monthes after I got my private and the tower offered me the military break but I deferred, I was just happy to fly the warbird arrival and skip Ripon

I'm heading to central Illinois in the second half of May as my daughter is finishing high school. Also, we're planning on visiting Portland and Seattle sometime during the summer.

Additions: Just selected a flyout for August: We'll fly down to Kentucky Dam State Park and rent a houseboat for a week! And later this month we'll fly to Columbus for a Ninety-Nines meeting.

I am going to fly down to an AME seminar in Pensacola FL in Oct. It will work out great because I have access to a really cheap Bed and Breakfast/lunch/dinner and a car. My folks live there.:D

I still need to land somewhere in California, so I think I'll cruise on over the Grand Canyon and Death Valley on the way to Florida from Michigan. Anyone know any cheap places to sleep or interesting things to see from the sky, please advise. :smile:

Barb

I still need to land somewhere in California, so I think I'll cruise on over the Grand Canyon and Death Valley on the way to Florida from Michigan. Anyone know any cheap places to sleep or interesting things to see from the sky, please advise. :smile:

Nothing like a little out of the way diversion to make the trip interesting.:D

I am going to fly down to an AME seminar in Pensacola FL in Oct. It will work out great because I have access to a really cheap Bed and Breakfast/lunch/dinner and a car. My folks live there.:D

Barb

Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands. If you are going to GCNP, it's on the way. Get a shuttle to Ruby's at BCE.

I have my checkride on May 4, and I hope to hop over to Block Island with my gf and some other friends the following weekend. Also, while visiting Switzerland this past fall, I met someone who teaches sailing upstate NY. We rented a small sailboat and zipped around Lake Thun for a few hours. I promised to make a trip upstate once i got my cert, and he would give me a free lesson in exchange for a flight.

Also, I hope to visit people in VA beach as well, but I first need to find some arrangement where I can keep a plane for a long weekend without daily minimums from an FBO. I've been reading a lot of threads about people's experiences with partnerships, and need to know where to begin looking.

Last edited:
This is a great thread btw.

It looks like my summer flying plans include finishing up my CFI CFII and MEI. As for the fun flying :) it looks like I am flying my parents to Memphis this July for my 30th Birthday. I really wanted to make this my commercial cross country, but ended up going to Pittsburgh instead. It's looking like it is going to be a good summer to fly, but then again, any season is a good season to fly.

This past weekend was the start of 6 of 7 weekends gone in an airplane of some sort.

Last weekend was to Shreveport to be in a buddy's wedding.

This weekend to Sun-N-Fun for an ONC.

Next weekend is Buffett in Tampa!!! :yesnod:

The following weekend flying up for the KY derby.

Nothing (yet) the following

Doing a Flyby in TX and an airshow in MS the following weekend

Taking 4 jets to Idaho for a squadron closing party the following weekend

After that, no real plans. :D

We want to do a Bahamas run sometime in the early fall, so keep the ideas rolling for that one.

Back