Your Summer Flying Plans

Definitely need to get that CFII and MEI finished up... I haven't taken any check rides this year, it feels odd.

Spending time under the hood finishing up my IR
As many Animal Rescue Flights as I can schedule
The CPS annual event to Oak Island and visit to FFA
Sightseeing around the Hudson Valley and Upstate NY/New England

Dutchess,
How many hours deep are you in your IR training, and how many do you think until you are done? I'm not sure I want to keep going for my IR, but never say never I suppose.

Dutchess,
How many hours deep are you in your IR training, and how many do you think until you are done? I'm not sure I want to keep going for my IR, but never say never I suppose.

I thought the same thing..but got the license, flew for a month looking at the array of traffic all over the place in our region and the various knuckleheads ignoring both common sense and procedures and decided to go ahead and get the IR.

I Am In Way Too Deep :mad2:

I have 1.2 hrs actual, about 30 hrs simulated, finishing up stage 2 (approaches / departures / comms) and on to XC instrument flights. I am about 2/3 through and just about ready to take the FAA written soon. It is alot of work! But I am so much better as a pilot now than before I did this. Nuthin better than breaking out before minimums and holy sh*t theres the runway.

Bruce

The first day that you get somewhere with your instrument rating that you wouldn't have gotten to without it, you'll be glad you did it.

Go for it.

I am planning on doing an accelerated IFR. Thinking of heading to Maine to work with one of the local FBOs. Looks like that makes more $$ sense than one of the pricier accelerated programs. I will report back after it is done.

Jeff

Me? I'm going to fly my ass off.

I still need to land somewhere in California, so I think I'll cruise on over the Grand Canyon and Death Valley on the way to Florida from Michigan. Anyone know any cheap places to sleep or interesting things to see from the sky, please advise. :smile:

Monument Valley, Painted Desert, Sunset Crater...

Enlarge my Carbon Footprint by flying acro full rich a much as possible!

Other than that I may get my Rotorcraft add on...(found a nice Brantly locally...).

Chris

Monument Valley, Painted Desert, Sunset Crater...

I've done Monument Valley, It is pretty cool seen up close and personal. The others sound like good fly by places too, definitely on the list of places to see. Thanks.

Barb

Attachments

• Monument Valley.jpg
    Monument Valley.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 6
Hopefully I'm finally gonna finish up the Commercial Certificate this summer. Started working with the instructor this past weekend.

I'm going to get my instrument rating this summer via the accelerated route, or at least that is the plan. Written test this coming up weekend. Just trying to make the final choice for where I go to get the training.

Have an opportunity to fly with a medical helicopter crew for the day later this summer... Weather willing it will be a nice cross country there, fly in the helicopter (for the first time) and fly home. Other than that, build hours and hopefully have time/money to start insturment training.

I'm in Bloomington, Illinois right now. I flew here on Friday for my daughter's high school graduation. I leave tomorrow for Austin, Texas. Then I'll return to Tucson on Sunday.

I'm planning on flying over to Tulsa, Oklahoma near the end of June and Boulder, Colorado at the end of July.

Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands. If you are going to GCNP, it's on the way. Get a shuttle to Ruby's at BCE.

What Ed said... But you might want to take a look at the Caveman Ranch too:

(read: I want a PIREP! :D)

Well, so far I'm on track for my goals and flying hours this year, so next on the list....

Late April-May -- Tailwheel Endorsement in a Citabria --> COMPLETED!!! :D
May -- Wings FlyBQ --> COMPLETED!!! What a Great Time, Thanks Guys! :yesnod:
June -- First Flight Review Time --> COMPLETED!
June/July --> Light Acro / Spin Training in Citabria :vomit:
Oct -- Windwood

I'll be joining the QPA group a few more times for those breakfast runs, cause that was a great time. My wife wants to go as well, so soon we'll have someone watch Madison (2 mo. old) so she can join me and the girls.

Somewhere in there I'll more officially start the flight training portion of the IR. I'm studying now and occasionally doing an hour in the Simulator. Goal is to have the IR before needing another Flight Review.

Just posting an update,.... Starting to Knock them off the list,... Oooppss,.. I added one too :)

Last edited:
Hopefully I'm finally gonna finish up the Commercial Certificate this summer. Started working with the instructor this past weekend.

Passed the Commercial written this morning :D. My long solo cross country is scheduled for next Friday.

That will just leave polishing up the maneuvers. Fortunately my club's T-34s are back up so I can use them for the prep work and checkride since the FAA hasn't changed the complex requirement yet.

Passed the Commercial written this morning :D. My long solo cross country is scheduled for next Friday.

That will just leave polishing up the maneuvers. Fortunately my club's T-34s are back up so I can use them for the prep work and checkride since the FAA hasn't changed the complex requirement yet.

Whooo hooo Awesome Lee. Where will the long XC be to?

Flying through the air? About 60,000 miles or so on 747s and 60 feet or so falling off horses :p

Whooo hooo Awesome Lee. Where will the long XC be to?

Looking at Sanford Maine (KSFN). It's 276 NM from KNXX. A little farther than required, but I've never flown to Maine so I'll be able to add it to my list of states visited.

Let's see... summer flying plans... well, I'm going to Gaston's in two weeks followed by flying to KOSH for Airventure with the group flying in together to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Cherokee. The crazy men of Gaston's are trying to tell me that "No problem... whatever time you end up flying in, there will be someone still awake to come and pick you up wherever... even if it is 3AM." LOL, almost tempted to do just that, just to call them on it! In August, it would be nice to get away somewhere beachy for a weekend or two, but nothing planned in that direction yet. I'll have to see what comes up between now and then. :)

Last edited:
A couple of trips down for Soup On Sunday (9VG),
Reading WWII weekend (Next Weekend) - much easier to fly in than to drive in.
OshKosh - in the flight of 50 Cherokee's
Hilton Head
Windwood Whisker Vickty's 62
a couple of the NE Flyer's jaunts

primarily local stuff with perhaps a few X Country's ( <1000nm )

As an amendment to my previous statement of plans -

Summer? What's that? This is the Pacific Northwe(s)t, after all!

Btw, thanks for the invite, but because I arrived in Austin a day later than planned (see my first emergency thread) I didn't have time to drive up your way.

Glad you got on the ground safely and were still able to make some of your trip in Austin. :smile:

3am is the best time to play dodge the deer on the road from BPK.

Just ask GliderBoi Pete! :rofl:

The crazy men of Gaston's are trying to tell me that "No problem... whatever time you end up flying in, there will be someone still awake to come and pick you up wherever... even if it is 3AM." LOL, almost tempted to do just that, just to call them on it!

3am is the best time to play dodge the deer on the road from BPK.

Just ask GliderBoi Pete! :rofl:
Nothing more fun then one sober driver creeping along avoiding the deer while three or four drunks backseat drive the entire way. It's part of the Gastons experience.

Back