Your school's/instructor's requirements to solo

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
What are the requirements your school or instructor has to allow you to solo?

I have read many of you saying that one day your CFI just said you're ready to solo. Or others who have solo'ed in inder 10 hours.

I have over 50 and not yet solo'ed. It took me a long time to get landings down and I didn't do a lot of pattern work in the first 20-25 hours. With my first instructor (he left the school) we did a lot of manuever work. Another reason is that I must must first do a SODA (vison issue in one eye) with the FAA, so I have to practice for that because it's very specific as to what they will be looking for. I will be taking it soon.

My school requires another CFI to stage check me before I can solo. They require almost like a mini checkride to solo.

Here are the stage check requirements:

Oral

a. Aeronautical knowledge
  1. Bernoulli/Newton
  2. Aircraft control surfaces
  3. Aircraft systems
  4. VFR wetaher minimums
  5. Airport markings
  6. Aircraft inspections
  7. Ceryificates and Documents
b. Arrival & Departure procedures
c. Airspace & sectional

Flight portion
d. Pre-flight
e. Radio comms
f. Checklist use
g. Taxi, take-off, landing (use of power, cross-wind corr, airspeed control, pitch control, etc)
h. Flight manuevers (power/pitch coordination)
i. Slow Flight-PTS proficiency
j. Steep turns-PTS proficiency
k. Departure stalls-PTS proficiency
l. Landing stalls-PTS proficiency
m. Emergency procedures
n. General Flight Operations

Is this typical or are you guys experiencing less formality when it comes to soloing?

Thanks.

That's pretty thorough. Considering where you are probably good to know. I think I took a short written test and verbal quiz. Probably covered much of your agenda. I liked flying with my cfi though. Told him one day this was enough and we needed to finish it. We did.

My school's solo requirements were § 61.87, whether you could demonstrate the tasks at 3 or 300 hours.

I have read many of you saying that one day your CFI just said you're ready to solo. Or others who have solo'ed in inder 10 hours.

I have over 50 and not yet solo'ed. It took me a long time to get landings down and I didn't do a lot of pattern work in the first 20-25 hours. With my first instructor (he left the school) we did a lot of manuever work. Another reason is that I must must first do a SODA (vison issue in one eye) with the FAA, so I have to practice for that because it's very specific as to what they will be looking for. I will be taking it soon.

My school requires another CFI to stage check me before I can solo. They require almost like a mini checkride to solo.

Oral

1. Bernoulli/Newton
  3. Aircraft systems
  4. VFR wetaher minimums
  5. Airport markings
  6. Aircraft inspections
c. Airspace & sectional

Flight portion
d. Pre-flight
e. Radio comms
f. Checklist use
g. Taxi, take-off, landing (use of power, cross-wind corr, airspeed control, pitch control, etc)
m. Emergency procedures

Is this typical or are you guys experiencing less formality when it comes to soloing?

Thanks.

Overkill. As Jordan notes, 61.87 lays out the specifics required pre-solo...your checklist almost looks like a pre-checkride list. You are spending a lot of money with these folks...pin them down on why their requirements are more stringent than the FAA regs; if you don't get the answer you want, vote with your feet.

I have had monocular and paraplegic students and did not put any of them through this kind of thing.

Bob Gardner

I did a short written test (on my own time between lessons) and a stage check with another CFI. That's pretty much it.

Overkill. As Jordan notes, 61.87 lays out the specifics required pre-solo...your checklist almost looks like a pre-checkride list. You are spending a lot of money with these folks...pin them down on why their requirements are more stringent than the FAA regs; if you don't get the answer you want, vote with your feet.
I don't know, Bob. Let's compare the school's list to the FAA's:
(b) Aeronautical knowledge. A student pilot must demonstrate satisfactory aeronautical knowledge on a knowledge test that meets the requirements of this paragraph:
(1) The test must address the student pilot's knowledge of--
(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;
(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will be performed; and
(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and model of aircraft to be flown.
(2) The student's authorized instructor must--
(i) Administer the test; and
(ii) At the conclusion of the test, review all incorrect answers with the student before authorizing that student to conduct a solo flight.
(c) Pre-solo flight training. Prior to conducting a solo flight, a student pilot must have:
(1) Received and logged flight training for the maneuvers and procedures of this section that are appropriate to the make and model of aircraft to be flown; and
(2) Demonstrated satisfactory proficiency and safety, as judged by an authorized instructor, on the maneuvers and procedures required by this section in the make and model of aircraft or similar make and model of aircraft to be flown.
(d) Maneuvers and procedures for pre-solo flight training in a single-engine airplane. A student pilot who is receiving training for a single-engine airplane rating or privilegesmust receive and log flight training for the following maneuvers and procedures:
(1) Proper flight preparation procedures, including preflight planning and preparation, powerplant operation, and aircraft systems;
(2) Taxiing or surface operations, including runups;
(3) Takeoffs and landings, including normal and crosswind;
(4) Straight and level flight, and turns in both directions;
(5) Climbs and climbing turns;
(6) Airport traffic patterns, including entry and departure procedures;
(7) Collision avoidance, windshear avoidance, and wake turbulence avoidance;
(8) Descents, with and without turns, using high and low drag configurations;
(9) Flight at various airspeeds from cruise to slow flight;
(10) Stall entries from various flight attitudes and power combinations with recovery initiated at the first indication of a stall, and recovery from a full stall;
(11) Emergency procedures and equipment malfunctions;
(12) Ground reference maneuvers;
(13) Approaches to a landing area with simulated engine malfunctions;
(14) Slips to a landing; and
(15) Go-arounds.
Other than steep turns, I don't see anything on the flight side which isn't in 61.87 (other than radio comm, and I can certainly see that as a requirement most anywhere today), and I can see a good argument for most everything on the oral side except maybe certificates/documents and required aircraft inspections (and that's not much to learn if you can remember AROW and AVIATE). So, I don't see that list as being a reason why the OP has reached 50 hours without soloing.

OTOH, not having a required SODA/SI for monocular vision could be a big barrier, and the FAA doesn't always issue a "valid only for Student Pilot purposes" medical for one-eyed Student Pilots. Getting to where the one-eyed OP can pass that Special Medical Flight Test could be the big barrier, as monocular vision might be the reason the OP is having trouble with landings. Therefore, I'd be more interested in finding out why that is happening, and whether there's an issue involving a two-eyed instructor who doesn't have a good way of getting a one-eyed trainee to see what's happening and get it right.

Ron, the big difference is PTS standards.

Is it really necessary to solo that he not lose 100 feet during a steep turn?

The reg also does not require any stage check at all, but rather that the training has occurred and is logged. That requires a logbook inspection.

For the written test, all airport markings are not required, for instance. Just those in use where the solo is to take place. That can be a MUCH shorter list.

Stage checks are a good idea, but they can be overdone.

Our school is also those items to PTS standards and ground knowledge to a private level. Plus a aircraft written test, pre-solo test, and a FOM test all from memory.

Oral

1. Bernoulli/Newton
  3. Aircraft systems
  4. VFR wetaher minimums
  5. Airport markings
  6. Aircraft inspections
c. Airspace & sectional

Flight portion
d. Pre-flight
e. Radio comms
f. Checklist use
m. Emergency procedures

Thanks.

That's a little excessive.

Before my guys solo, they have a little written quiz, mainly on aircraft systems, fueling, very basic met, airport marking and traffic patterns, which I correct with them after they take it.

Airwork, well I've done all the flying with them so I don't give them a pre solo check ride or anything.

I've never had a guy go over 20hrs with me before solo.

With my instructor, you have to complete all the pre-solo lessons from the Gleim syllabus, and he likes his students to have around 100 total landings in their logbook (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the student's capability). He basically says, "You're ready when you're ready," and the 100 landings is just a guideline for how long it takes most of his students to be ready.

The Gleim lessons have maneuver requirements that are more generous than the PTS standards at first and get progressively more difficult over time.

He seems to be very conservative about it and doesn't do the "surprise, you're soloing!" kind of thing. He said both he and I will come to an agreement and be comfortable that it's time for the solo. I'm not quite ready for that yet ... but will be after just a couple more practice flights, hopefully. Still really struggling with roundouts.

I expect to be soloing in the low 20s. Would be sooner if my motion sickness hadn't been so awful on the first 10 flights!

After your first solo in the pattern, there's a Stage 1 checkride with another pilot, and after that you're cleared to solo in the practice area, too, and continue to the second half of your training.

I don't know, Bob. Let's compare the school's list to the FAA's:
Other than steep turns, I don't see anything on the flight side which isn't in 61.87 (other than radio comm, and I can certainly see that as a requirement most anywhere today), and I can see a good argument for most everything on the oral side except maybe certificates/documents and required aircraft inspections (and that's not much to learn if you can remember AROW and AVIATE). So, I don't see that list as being a reason why the OP has reached 50 hours without soloing.

OTOH, not having a required SODA/SI for monocular vision could be a big barrier, and the FAA doesn't always issue a "valid only for Student Pilot purposes" medical for one-eyed Student Pilots. Getting to where the one-eyed OP can pass that Special Medical Flight Test could be the big barrier, as monocular vision might be the reason the OP is having trouble with landings. Therefore, I'd be more interested in finding out why that is happening, and whether there's an issue involving a two-eyed instructor who doesn't have a good way of getting a one-eyed trainee to see what's happening and get it right.

I take issue with "PTS standards" prior to solo. However, we know only one side of the story.

Bob

Out of curiosity, what is the time span in which you obtained those 50 hours? 3 months? 1 year? 2 years?

That seems excessive to me unless there is more to the story or the vision issue is a huge factor.

I just pulled out the logbook and 1/5/89 I soloed on my 9th lesson with 9.6 hours. I had 26 landings at that point. Check ride at 59 hours with the last 10-20 of that being test prep.

Interestingly on 6/7/2014 after a 20 year break and 6.8 hours and 22 landings I got my BFR signed off and was turned loose on the world again.

Not bragging, I am no expert high hour pilot. I only have 125ish hours total and 380 landings in the book and I have made plenty of not so pretty landings but I am struggling to grasp 50 hours and not having soloed it just seems to me you are getting strung along. At 50 hours you should be starting to get close to ready for your check ride at least that is how it was back in the day.

I would find and independent instructor not associated with the school and take a flight with them, explain the whole situation and ask for an honest evaluation of where you are.

FYI-I've already taken the FAA written and got 93%, so the oral is not an issue. My manuevers are not to PTS standards yet, so that's kind of holding me up right now.

Let me also say I applaud you for sticking with it!!

Do you happen to know if you're in a Part 141 program? What is the FAA looking for on the SODA? If you were my student, my first priority would be to get you past that potential obstacle so that you can complete the remainder of your training with the assurance you can obtain a medical and thus become a licensed pilot.

50 hours and you haven't soloed.
Either you shouldn't be a pilot or they shouldn't be teaching.
Figure it out.

Oral

1. Bernoulli/Newton
  3. Aircraft systems
  4. VFR wetaher minimums
  5. Airport markings
  6. Aircraft inspections
c. Airspace & sectional

Flight portion
d. Pre-flight
e. Radio comms
f. Checklist use
m. Emergency procedures

Thanks.

Anyone that says they are soloing in 10 hours instruction is going up alone too soon.

The CFI uses his/her subjective opinion when solo makes sense. Remember, soloing is a GIANT risk for both you and the CFI. If something happens both of you will get nailed for it if the investigation shows poor judgement on the CFIs part.

The CFI is your experienced aviation pro, he/she is there to protect you as much as train you. Soloing is not the big benchmark, completing the training and passing the checkride is the big deal...

I cant believe these people that solo after 10 hours. I think I spent that much time just working on landings. Basically my CFI had me do all the maneuvers over the course of a number of flights, then started working on the various take offs and landings. We then spent some time working on landings until I was consistent with them. That was his biggest test, consistent landings. Once I was good there, he signed me off.

He told me he had a couple other students at the same place in their training who he wouldn't let solo because one day their landings would be great, and the next they would be terrible. Getting the thing on the ground safely seems kinda important, so that's his test. I was at about 32hours, which also included my XC's

Only flying once a week I can understand why it might take 50 hours though, especially if you have congested or difficult airspace. I've been flying 3-4 days a week and I didn't feel comfortable with it myself until just one or 2 flights before I solo'd. Only doing one flight a week, over almost a years time adds a lot of "review" time.

11 months, flying once per week.

Well that explains it.

I'd go for at LEAST twice a week.

The average is about 15ish hrs to 20hrs.

But my guys didn't have the SODA and flew twice as much as you.

Still your pre-reqs are a little out there.

Anyone that says they are soloing in 10 hours instruction is going up alone too soon.

Well that explains it.

I'd go for at LEAST twice a week.

With my instructor, you have to complete all the pre-solo lessons from the Gleim syllabus, and he likes his students to have around 100 total landings in their logbook (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the student's capability). He basically says, "You're ready when you're ready," and the 100 landings is just a guideline for how long it takes most of his students to be ready.

I think all of these so called "guidelines" are BS. Hours required and frequency of flying should all depend on the students ability to learn a new skill, retain it, and the instructors ability to teach it and what his standards are. It is going to be completely different for every student. As long as they meet the requirements in the FARs it doesn't matter if they have 3 hours or 30 hours.

50 hours and you haven't soloed.
Either you shouldn't be a pilot or they shouldn't be teaching.
Figure it out.

I feel this situation is a mixture of both of these.

Doesn't explain much.

Actually it does.

The more often you fly the more you will retain and the faster you will progress. You draw 50hrs of flight training out over nearly a entire year, its going to be one step forwards, half a step back, then one and a half steps needed to get to the next step.

This ain't my first rodeo, if this was my student I would have advised him that he's going to be burning a bit of time and money by starting training before he can commit to a good amount of flights per week. I would have had a talk and probably stepped down as his instructor before I took him for 50hrs of dual without even a solo.

Last edited:
As long as they meet the requirements in the FARs it doesn't matter if they have 3 hours or 30 hours.

While I agree in theory, I have a hard time seeing how a CFI could possibly evaluate a students knowledge of everything needed to safely solo in 3 hours, much less teach it to them, or even 10 for that matter.

While I agree in theory, I have a hard time seeing how a CFI could possibly evaluate a students knowledge of everything needed to safely solo in 3 hours, much less teach it to them, or even 10 for that matter.

Ok three hours may be a stretch..bad example:D

Well that explains it.
Doesn't explain much.

I agree.

It may explain it but I am not sure it. I think it is pretty common for people to fly once a week on the weekends or at least it used to be. I will say I do know people who don't retain much and need continual retraining on things but if that is the case maybe flying ins't your thing. What happens when you have your license and you get a month (or two) of bad weather in the winter? :dunno:

My instructor who is also the person I rent the plane from was gone for two 3 week stretches this summer on vacation. I managed to squeeze in a flight when he was back between them.

Last edited:
I agree.

It may explain it but I am not sure it. I think it is pretty common for people to fly once a week on the weekends or at least it used to be. I will say I do know people who don't retain much and need continual retraining on things but if that is the case maybe flying ins't your thing. What happens when you have your license and you get a month (or two) of bad weather in the winter? :dunno:

My instructor who is also the person I rent the plane from was gone for two 3 week stretches this summer on vacation. I managed to squeeze in a flight when he was back between them.

Well you're still a not-yet-soloed student, there is a difference between a gap in LESSONS for you and a gap in flights for a licensed & experienced pilot.

If your CFI is taking that much time off between your lessons I'd find a new CFI and/or school.

I have my PP I just refer to him as "my instructor" because when I need a CFI he is it. He also owns the plane I rent. :D

My only point was if missing a week or two is making you start over or relearn constantly that seems it would be problematic in the long run.

I have my PP I just refer to him as "my instructor" because when I need a CFI he is it. He also owns the plane I rent. :D

My only point was if missing a week or two is making you start over or relearn constantly that seems it would be problematic in the long run.

Stretching 50hrs out over a year and all is not conducive to getting things done. The student isn't going to need to start over, but it's not going to be the same level of retention regardless of skill.

I've trained quite a few folks, the sharpest ones for the flight test were the full time 5 day a week career guys. Now you don't need to quit your job for full time training, twice a week is the minimum I advise for training, anything less I give my advise to not start till you can put more flights in. I'm also not one to push a dodo bird to fly, I've given the golf speech twice now, I don't like it, but I have zero issue telling someone that I don't think flying is for them and they are welcome to get a second opinion.

Interesting, there is no rule u must push its in their best interest to keep you training remember that

I think all of these so called "guidelines" are BS. Hours required and frequency of flying should all depend on the students ability to learn a new skill, retain it, and the instructors ability to teach it and what his standards are. It is going to be completely different for every student. As long as they meet the requirements in the FARs it doesn't matter if they have 3 hours or 30 hours.

I feel this situation is a mixture of both of these.

Wrong. This is not about the regulations. This is about the CFI SUBJECTIVE opinion that a student is safe to solo. That is why it varies, as well it should vary.

This is not a race. somehow some are getting the wrong impression that training is some kind of race and that the first to solo and complete training are strangely an indication of being better pilots. that's hogwash and a dangerous assumption.

Wrong. This is not about the regulations. This is about the CFI SUBJECTIVE opinion that a student is safe to solo. That is why it varies, as well it should vary.

This is not a race. somehow some are getting the wrong impression that training is some kind of race and that the first to solo and complete training are strangely an indication of being better pilots. that's hogwash and a dangerous assumption.
These are my thoughts exactly.

I appreciate all the responses. I didn't start this thread to evaluate whether I should or should not solo'ed by now. This post was to ask if others have to show proficiency in the 4 main manuevers and all the oral stuff before they solo. That's all.

Last edited:
Ron, the big difference is PTS standards.
Then what would you use as your standard for determining whether those maneuvers were good enough?
Is it really necessary to solo that he not lose 100 feet during a steep turn?
You will note that I pointed out that steep turns were excessive to the FAA requirements. However, would you say it's OK to solo someone who can't enter and recover from a stall within PP-A PTS standards? I certainly don't think that's an unreasonable standard.

The reg also does not require any stage check at all, but rather that the training has occurred and is logged. That requires a logbook inspection.
Most flight schools require a "second opinion" before solo, and I think that's a good idea -- too much chance the one instructor who's done all the training may have missed something.

For the written test, all airport markings are not required, for instance. Just those in use where the solo is to take place. That can be a MUCH shorter list.
Again, given the special interest the FAA has in preventing runway incursions, I don't think that's an unreasonable requirement.

Stage checks are a good idea, but they can be overdone.
I don't think a stage check which evaluates all the 61.87 pre-solo tasks and maneuvers is "overdone", and about the only thing I see in that stage check list which isn't on the FAA's list is steep turns.

In any event, based on what the OP has written, I'm thinking the vision and SMFT issues are what are holding up the solo, and I'd need to fly with the OP to evaluate that.

I've never solo'd a student that can't hold a steep turn to PTS standards - but I've also taught people how to learn to do a steep turn to PTS standards in one lesson consistently.

I've solo'd a student with 8 hours total time out of a class C airport. They could do everything in that list. Granted that's not the norm, but it's certainly possible, and I don't think that list is unreasonable by any means.

It's *BY FAR* easier for me to start someone from zero time and get them to solo quickly than it is for me to take a student from another instructor that has already flown quite a bit, and get them to that point.

What is the FAA looking for on the SODA?
The Statement of Demonstrated Ability is what you get upon passing the Special Medical Flight Test with an FAA Inspector (has to be FAA, not DPE). The SMFT for monocular vision is covered in FAA Order 8900.1 and includes the following:

4) Observe an applicant with a visual defect (one eye missing or one eye blind) demonstrate the following in an aircraft:
· The ability to select emergency landing fields at a distance, from high altitude, and preferably over unfamiliar terrain.
· The ability to simulate forced landings in difficult fields; note the manner of approach, rate of descent, and comparative distance at which obstructions (stumps, boulders, ditches, etc.) are recognized.
· The ability to recognize other aircraft (which may be present by prearrangement) approaching at a collision course (particularly aircraft approaching from the far right or far left).
· The ability to judge distances and to recognize landmarks (compared with the ASI's estimate).
· The ability to land the aircraft.
· The ability to read aeronautical charts in flight and tune the radio to a predetermined station accurately and rapidly.
· The ability to read instrument panels (including an overhead panel, if any) quickly and correctly.
Since the FAA is not issuing the OP's medical until that is completed, every one of those skills will be evaluated, and they will be evaluated to PTS standards. So, I agree:
If you were my student, my first priority would be to get you past that potential obstacle so that you can complete the remainder of your training with the assurance you can obtain a medical and thus become a licensed pilot.
...and I wouldn't even be discussing solo with the trainee until that was accomplished.

In general, I agree. However, in the OP's case, there is a regulatory issue -- the lack of a medical certificate, and the SMFT for monocular vision covers more than the 61.87-required items for solo.

I appreciate all the responses. I didn't start this thread to evaluate whether I should or should not solo'ed by now. This post was to ask if others have to show proficiency in the 4 main manuevers and all the oral stuff before they solo. That's all.
In general, the answer is "yes". There may be one or two items in your oral beyond what most instructors/schools require, but they shouldn't be a big obstacle, and the "4 main maneuvers" (which I'm guessing are takeoffs and landings, the Four Fundamentals, slow flight, and stalls) are going to be required anywhere you go. What most folks won't have to do are the elements for the monocular vision SMFT above and beyond the 61.87 solo requirements.

Then what would you use as your standard for determining whether those maneuvers were good enough?

Judgment.

If the student is soloing on a 7000 foot runway, it's good if he can make a landing within 400 feet of the numbers, but he'll be safe enough if it's 4000 feet.

If he's soloing on a 1000 foot runway, 400 feet is too long, even if that is the PTS standard.

It's solo. Not a check ride. The difference is that the location is known and the constraints are known. For a private pilot, he needs to be able to do it anywhere "reasonable."

Back