Young Eagle program

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I just wanted to know if anyone is involved in the Young Eagles program, what is it like? Do they have locations in Florida? What do you have to be to join to take people up?

My kids aren't really interested in flying airplanes but I saw a few of Swayne's videos and it inspired me to work toward regenerating interest in GA instead of just complaining about it.

Here is the video:

i generally see the local EAA chapter signs around the airport when they are doing an event like this. your best bet is to probably contact your local chapter.

I've done the young eagles thing once, flew 6 kids. It was a great experience I loved it. I am looking forward to doing it again

Basically you have to meet requirements as set down by the EAA.

1) be an EAA member
2) licensed pilot. Can be sport or recreational as well
3) aircraft you are flying is in annual
4) current BFR
5) liability insurance current
6) you must be vetted by the EAA to participate, either flying or ground support.
There is a link on the EAA Young Eagles site that will direct you to the proper
avenue to do that.

Highly encourage you go get involved with the program. I've been an event coordinator several years for my local EAA chapter. Had the pleasure recently of a parent of a kid I took up years ago tell me that he is now taking flying lessons and plans for a flying career. Pretty neat.

It's fun. Had a kid blurt out over the headset, "This is the greatest thing I've done in my life!" Another said, " I'm using my new word.... This is epic!"

i generally see the local EAA chapter signs around the airport when they are doing an event like this. your best bet is to probably contact your local chapter.

This... My chapter is fairly active with YE events. It's not an interest of mine so I've not participated.

I've participated in a few rallies (one where there were 160 kids and kept 10 pilots/planes busy for much of the day).

It's a lot of fun for the pilots who truly work at making it a positive experience for the kids and parents. It also helps to have a good ground ops crew to handle check-ins and match kids to pilots, and keep parents calm when they forget this isn't a set schedule system and get grumpy that they have been waiting for a while.

Usually the designated air boss has set up routes to fly for both faster and slower aircraft. He has also worked out the procedures with the tower crew, or what to call when for non-towered field.

Once I have the kids, I walk them to the aircraft and make sure they know the proper ramp safety items. The. Do a quick walk around explaining the flight control surfaces, key external systems, and answering questions. I am also watching to determine who has the greatest interest and would get the most in the right front seat.

Then I get them in their seats and buckle them in, explaining the seatbelt. Photo op time, then I head for my seat and buckle in. A quick explanation about the noise, and headset use. Then my new copilot reads the abbreviated checklist I have for them and we both go through the steps for engine start and taxi out.

On the way to the runway, I explain permitted talking and sterile cockpit rules. I also show off how unlike a car, I steer with my feet. I also complete the required safety briefing and explain what we are going to do on the flight.

I do the run up, let my copilot make the call to the tower to say we are ready, and then take off. After 1000 feet AGL, I let my copilot take the yoke while I shadow them and verbally coach them through the last bit of the climb and intital turn.

During the remainder of the flight, I have altitude hold engaged with the auto pilot and just provide them verbal cues of what landmark to steer to. We follow the route assigned (already inputted to ForeFlight) and work our way around the route. I also try to take pictures of everyone if the flight is stable enough for that distraction.

As we close on the airport, if I have got a really good stick, I will continue to coach them on lateral course while I handle radio calls, power and altitude. Then on long final, "My airplane" but tell them to shadow me on the controls with a light touch as we land.

Back at the terminal, more pictures, share info with the parents, and complete the kids logbooks and EAA paperwork. Hint: you can save a lot of time on the paperwork if you bring stickers with the required info, so you can just sticker and sign.

Then pick up next batch of kids and repeat until all have had their flight.

On the large rallies, flights are limited to about 30 minutes airtime. But on the few times where it was just one or two and a parent, then I'll take a bit longer.

And while flying the kids is a blast, even more fun is afterwards when I have had the chance to take a parent or adult volunteer on their first small airplane ride. Always a good time to bust myths and change their perception of what general aviation is all about.

Eaa 180 out of Sarasota does young eagles the third Saturday,every month. Venice Eaa chapter also does young eagles.

Is there a way to do rides in a rental? Or do you have to own your own plane?

I'd consider a lineup of PC-12, Mustang, and aerobatic airplanes all lined up to take kids up is a bit of an outlier when it comes to YE events. But you folks on the monied suburban enclaves of the Country may consider that nominal. I can't speak to that on the YE I've personally participated in. No way in hell I put a half year's worth of engine cycles on a PC-12 to appease the freeloading saturday crowd that usually gathers for such events down here, but that's a socio-political jab I'll digress from before I de-rail this thread....

Word. No way I do one of these things again on my own airplane. Too much wear and tear for a demographic that largely showed a lack of appreciation or modicum of courtesy to my charity. Speaking of the parents mostly, though the children's behavior are reflective of that condition.

I'd consider a lineup of PC-12, Mustang, and aerobatic airplanes all lined up to take kids up is a bit of an outlier when it comes to YE events. But you folks on the monied suburban enclaves of the Country may consider that nominal. I can't speak to that on the YE I've personally participated in. No way in hell I put a half year's worth of engine cycles on a PC-12 to appease the freeloading saturday crowd that usually gathers for such events down here, but that's a socio-political jab I'll digress from before I de-rail this thread....

Thank you for that heartfelt sentiment... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My experience with Young Eagles was exactly the opposite. Parents of the kids we flew bent over backwards to thank us for the rides and hospitality. It was a feel-good event all around.

We fly the third Saturday of each month. We'll have anywhere from 20 to 80 to fly and average six to eight planes. My YE coordinator has flown 750, one at a time, during his time with us. I've flown something north of 200 at this point. It becomes a way for us to get the truly interested ones involved in our youth build program. We're also careful to make sure the older ones know about the free ground school from Sporty's and free EAA memberships. We use the credits we earn to cover airfare for the youth that go to Air Academy during the summer.

It can be a rental. Who owns it is immaterial. All that matters is you are rated/endorsed to fly it and it has a current annual or condition inspection (if E-AB).

I've participated in a few rallies (one where there were 160 kids and kept 10 pilots/planes busy for much of the day).

It's a lot of fun for the pilots who truly work at making it a positive experience for the kids and parents. It also helps to have a good ground ops crew to handle check-ins and match kids to pilots, and keep parents calm when they forget this isn't a set schedule system and get grumpy that they have been waiting for a while.

Thank you, at least you are doing SOMETHING for the promotion of General Aviation. Do parents know that this is all volunteer work?

Eaa 180 out of Sarasota does young eagles the third Saturday,every month. Venice Eaa chapter also does young eagles.

Thank you, I will probably do Chapter 47, I love Albert Whitted. One of my favorite GA airports.

The YE rallies I've been around have been hives of activity. The last one had Surf Air donating free rides in one of their PC-12s. Pretty impressive, but the lines were long. There was a LOT of interest. I think the Surf Air pilots had more fun than the kids. They got paid to do fun flights around the local area.

I've considered doing it, but it's pretty much the same thing I do with CAP, except the kids are younger. Not sure what I'd do with an 8 year old; it's hard enough to get a 12 year old to see over the panel in a 182. Lots of pillows, but then they can't reach the rudder pedals.

It can be a rental. Who owns it is immaterial. All that matters is you are rated/endorsed to fly it and it has a current annual or condition inspection (if E-AB).
That's cool. I may have to find my local EAA chapter.

Double check the rules for the chapter. There was a big stink down here in TX about not allowing experimentals for a EAA / Boy Scout event. Usually it's allowed.

Then again, if you're renting, it won't be experimental.

Thank you, at least you are doing SOMETHING for the promotion of General Aviation. Do parents know that this is all volunteer work?

lol I told ya, No good deed goes unpunished brother. This all depends on the location, socioeconomics and the pre-marketing of the event.It is hardly a uniform response across the chapters, so at the risk of being prosaic: YMMV.

Of couuuuuurse the lines are gonna be long to take a ride in a PC-12. That's state fair carnie fodder. They get as much about general aviation from that as getting in an airliner coach cabin and told to STFU. I don't think that's what YE should be about imo.

Double check the rules for the chapter. There was a big stink down here in TX about not allowing experimentals for a EAA / Boy Scout event. Usually it's allowed.

Then again, if you're renting, it won't be experimental.

That was most likely because the Boy Scouts used to prohibit the use of E-AB for scouting events--I say "used to" because I think they recently relaxed that rule but I don't know for sure. In any event, the use of E-AB aircraft has never been a YE prohibition. I have personally flown YE in both E-AB and rentals.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be like EAA to exclude experimentals :-o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is also a background check and a online training requirement that has to be taken care of prior to the event also. If you look at the EAA forums from last year, you can see the large stink that was caused when this was implemented. There were enough problems with the implementation and outright problems with how things were to be done, that a lot of chapters simply stopped participating in the program.

Didn't the YE requirement include having 500 hrs? I don't see that now but I thought it used to.

Didn't the YE requirement include having 500 hrs? I don't see that now but I thought it used to.

Not in the last 10 years... can't speak to before that. However, I think that the hour requirement is a Boy Scout thing and has nothing to do with YE.

Last edited:

If they had that requirement, I think that would eliminate all but two or three of the local volunteer pilots...

When I did it a couple of years ago all the local organizer seemed to care about was my EAA member number so that the flights could be documented and that I had a pulse. I don't think I ever showed them a pilot certificate, medical, or gave them a certificate number. Things have changed a bit now that they have the background check stuff implemented.

The only thing that's changed that I know of is the requirement for their dumbass background check/child molestation training program.

Flew Boy Scouts as well, didn't need 500 hours there either. The BS wanted copies of our various documents. We told them they could fly with us or not but we weren't sending them stuff with personally identifying information to get mishandled at some BS office. The local troop relented and came out anyhow.

The BS does want a million dollars per seat on your insurance. Fortunately by doubling up with the YE, the EAA's rider brings it up to the right amount.

The 500 hour thing I think may come from the requirements if you want fuel reimbursement for Angel Flight. The FAA threw a whole lot of requirements to allow private pilots get that bit of compensation.

The YE rallies I've been around have been hives of activity. The last one had Surf Air donating free rides in one of their PC-12s. Pretty impressive, but the lines were long. There was a LOT of interest. I think the Surf Air pilots had more fun than the kids. They got paid to do fun flights around the local area.

I've considered doing it, but it's pretty much the same thing I do with CAP, except the kids are younger. Not sure what I'd do with an 8 year old; it's hard enough to get a 12 year old to see over the panel in a 182. Lots of pillows, but then they can't reach the rudder pedals.

Sometimes kids just want to watch someone doing something they love. If you love to fly it will show in your actions and some kids feed off of that. We need to get kids involved in our wonderful hobby, sure it's expensive and there are barriers but today's kids could come up with the innovation this hobby needs to progress in the future. I will probably get involved in the future but I would have a disclaimer: "NO CELL PHONES IN THE PLANE" lol.....lets see how that goes.

That's cool. I may have to find my local EAA chapter.

I hope you do it too, here we are on this site complaining all the time about how GA is declining but not doing anything about it. This is a way to help, even if you do it once a year.

lol I told ya, No good deed goes unpunished brother. This all depends on the location, socioeconomics and the pre-marketing of the event.It is hardly a uniform response across the chapters, so at the risk of being prosaic: YMMV.

Of couuuuuurse the lines are gonna be long to take a ride in a PC-12. That's state fair carnie fodder. They get as much about general aviation from that as getting in an airliner coach cabin and told to STFU. I don't think that's what YE should be about imo.

I'm actually jealous I would love to get into a PC-12 to fly around but I think you are right. If you are in the passenger cabin it's pretty much like taking a commercial flight. Gotta get the kids in the cockpit where all the action is.

Do you live in Sarasota? I have family that are moving there this weekend.

I live 30 mins away and I frequent Sarasota quite often, it's really nice there.

Sometimes kids just want to watch someone doing something they love. If you love to fly it will show in your actions and some kids feed off of that. We need to get kids involved in our wonderful hobby, sure it's expensive and there are barriers but today's kids could come up with the innovation this hobby needs to progress in the future. I will probably get involved in the future but I would have a disclaimer: "NO CELL PHONES IN THE PLANE" lol.....lets see how that goes.

I hope you do it too, here we are on this site complaining all the time about how GA is declining but not doing anything about it. This is a way to help, even if you do it once a year.

I'm actually jealous I would love to get into a PC-12 to fly around but I think you are right. If you are in the passenger cabin it's pretty much like taking a commercial flight. Gotta get the kids in the cockpit where all the action is.

I live 30 mins away and I frequent Sarasota quite often, it's really nice there.
Why no cell phones?

I occasionally get a kid wanting to video a landing. I tell them to go ahead. I encourage shooting photos, just not while they have the controls. With a good stick, I'll shoot one for them, while straight and level. It's a big deal to them.

I've never seen a kid texting in the plane. I suppose it might be going on in the back seat where I can't see it, but then I don't care.

Why no cell phones?

I occasionally get a kid wanting to video a landing. I tell them to go ahead. I encourage shooting photos, just not while they have the controls. With a good stick, I'll shoot one for them, while straight and level. It's a big deal to them.

I've never seen a kid texting in the plane. I suppose it might be going on in the back seat where I can't see it, but then I don't care.

Because most likely if they are constantly on the phone, playing Pokemon go or Candy Crush we are wasting each others time. You are right, I didn't think of taking the pictures part.

Because most likely if they are constantly on the phone, playing Pokemon go or Candy Crush we are wasting each others time. You are right, I didn't think of taking the pictures part.
I've never seen that happen in a small plane. If they are willing to go through the hassle, you'll have their attention.

The only thing that's changed that I know of is the requirement for their dumbass background check/child molestation training program.

Flew Boy Scouts as well, didn't need 500 hours there either. The BS wanted copies of our various documents. We told them they could fly with us or not but we weren't sending them stuff with personally identifying information to get mishandled at some BS office. The local troop relented and came out anyhow.

The BS does want a million dollars per seat on your insurance. Fortunately by doubling up with the YE, the EAA's rider brings it up to the right amount.

The 500 hour thing I think may come from the requirements if you want fuel reimbursement for Angel Flight. The FAA threw a whole lot of requirements to allow private pilots get that bit of compensation.

I've never flown Boy Scouts so can't speak to individual events or Troop interpretations but the Scout Flying Plan, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/19-672WB_fillable.pdf (I got this link from here http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/TourPlanFAQ.aspx ), lists a 250 and a 500 hour requirement for pilots plus prohibits the use of Restricted, limited, light sport, and experimental category airworthiness certificated aircraft. Again this is just what's posted online so I make no claim as to how it works in reality.

I've been doing YE for a few years now. We typically have two events per year and have somewhere between 25-40 kids each time. We have a set route to fly over the city and we break the kids up into three groups. One group tours the tower, one group flies and one group gets to ask lots of questions and take pictures around the airport. Afterwards we all get a picture and have a burger burn with the parents and kids.

I have had a very positive experience at our events. Our coordinator does a lot of work to prepare so he's already got a system in place to find out who gets to ride in the front seat, who flies with whom, etc. We just show up and fly. I don't have a dual yoke in the Bo so I let the kids fly for one part of the flight when we are the furthest from town and the least likely for me to be looking everywhere for traffic. I've had a lot of practice over the years with friends and family of flying from the left seat with the yoke flipped to the right seat. Usually we have an ATC rep present to smooth out all the coordination of flying around (a very not-busy) class B.

Not always. And not many are taking it in the "light the inspirational fire" light that the program is intended for. Most are seeing it as "joyride, fun and different thing for the kid" activity. But when I do come across a kid who has a natural talent for flying, I try to speak with the parent a bit more to let them know they have an aviation gift that should be nurtured.

About the background check...

I joined eaa back in September and took the working with kids class and background check so I can help out with the young eagles.

Logged in last night and the background check still says "processing".

Back