You want HP? How about a 5000 HP Radial.

Like!

Wooeee! The TQ on a SE with that mounted, if it could even carry it. Gee Bee?

Last edited:
Lol! First plane I thought about when reading the title was the B-36. Just watched Strategic Air Command last night. :)

I wish. Flying for SAC in tgrowing up.he 50's would have been awesome.

Yup it was all about SAC for a long time. B-58 Hustler would have been fun to check out in. My dad was stationed at McDill in the mid 50s when the B-47s were based there. Probably the first USAF plane, let alone jet, I saw that began my interest in flying. Or really noticed probably more correct.

Last edited:
Mount that thing on just about about anything and you have a dynasty at Reno.

Due to all the P-Factor, you'd probably only want a left wing. Like an old Control Line speed racer!
fast-control-line-airplanes.jpg

Image from: http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/control-line-airplanes.html

When one minute of that engine running equals 1 hour of fuel consumption in your normal 180hp plane (9.6gph) :eek:

I would not want to be the one to tell the mechanic that he has to pull and clean the plugs.....

http://www.tested.com/tech/564279-story-aviations-largest-piston-engine/

7755 Cu In, 5000 HP, 580 Gal/Hr, Liquid Cooled. Only two ever built.

Cheers
Do you know why? 3350-? per airline figures, 140 man hours maintenance per light hour. and then jets.150 flight hours to 1 man hour maintenance..

bye bye pistons

The piston engine became so heavy, so large. it required a B-36 to carry them.
realize that a 4360 measured from fire wall to prop shaft was 8 feet. weighed in excess of 4k
Then the T-56-14 A 6000 horse power weighed less than 2k, came out on the lockhead electra.
Now the AE 2100-? 14,000 horse power on the C-130-E
bye bye the piston engine.
They make a sweet noise, but no sense in commercial aircraft.

Last edited:
Gives you a good idea on how large the B-36 is, if you have never seen one for real. Had to jack the nose up more than 10 feet to make a line move. All line moves were done on 3rd shift due to the logistics required.
The building looks pretty much the same these days, other than having F-35 stuff there. When I first worked in that building, we had some F-111's being completed after upgrades. Spend many a day in there.

I would not want to be the one to tell the mechanic that he has to pull and clean the plugs.....
I'd love it, that's 40 man hours billed at 50 per =$2000

A 3350 Wright has 144 plugs, REM 40-E at $30 = $4320.00 marked up at 20% Yep, call me :) Have tool box, will travel.

Back