You Know Who You Are

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is very nice Kimberly. Its refreshing to see such. I'm very happy for you and your friend.

All the best.

I am wondering if there is any way that the FAA would consider using money deposited into a flying account to be a violation of (c) above, or the fact that the FAA considers flight time to be compensation if the pilot doesn't pay for it (can't find it in part 61... yet...).
WHAT flight?? She clearly stated she's never met the person. So how could she not be paying her pro rata share of a flight that has not and may never occur?

Let's say you find my bag of valuable silver candlesticks on the street (where I dropped it while NOT fleeing the police). You return it to me and out of gratitude I hand you a $100 bill. Are you then immediately in violation of FAA regulations, simply because you could, theoretically, at some point in the future, use that or some other $100 bill to rent an airplane? No. It's silly to even debate the question, but it's the same thing. Re-read the original post. Kimberly does a favor for some person she's never met in person. Later on, that person does something nice for her in return. She may -- or may not -- use that to enjoy a little flying time. At no time is she being compensated for flying at all, let alone for her share.

Yes, I still have doubt. I am wondering if there is any way that the FAA would consider using money deposited into a flying account to be a violation of (c) above. But I no longer care because it seems that my simple question, intended to increase my knowledge, has been blown out of proportion. Never mind.

That my friend is the key to this. In there lies the REASON for the rule and that is to protect the public from pilots they don't know misrepresenting their abilities and equipment to make money/get ahead.

Would the FAA ever go after someone for accepting gift money? Simple answer is "No." Way too many other fish to fry

This turned into the dumbest thread ever, from something quite nice.

Enjoy your flight, Kimberly. Sheesh.

You can take all future payments in AvGas, raw form... just have 'em ship you the full 5 gallon containers. Harder to track. LOL!

A long time ago when I worked at a flight school I owed someone some money for a bar tab. I didn't have any cash on me, so I used my card and just put money on their flying account.

As long as it was more than eight hours before they went flying, I think you are OK on this one. :D

I hope some can appreciate how I've felt dealing with hopmedic lately.

Enjoy the flying Kim.

It seems to me that the payer, whether it is Kimberly's friend or a scholarship committee, would need to realize some benefit from the flight in order for it to be a flight "for compensation or hire".
I think this person IS realizing a benefit from this flight, or whatever she's gonna do with the gift. It's something I would imagine would never hold up in court though...a warm feeling :).
Enjoy your gift, Kim.

I think this person IS realizing a benefit from this flight, or whatever she's gonna do with the gift. It's something I would imagine would never hold up in court though...a warm feeling :).
Enjoy your gift, Kim.
True. It's a benefit the FAA doesn't care about, however. :)

I think the problem here is sometimes that we parse the regulations and other things, such as technique, so thoroughly that it makes people nervous about ever setting a foot wrong.

Kimberly, someone put $ in your account. They didn't pay you to fly them somewhere.

You. Are. Fine.

It's all how you justify it. Did you say you offer professional flying services and let them know you're a commercial pilot when in fact you are not? 17 year old pilots may get some money from their parents. Log books have never been fudged. You own a printing press, take someone casually flying for free and then charge them $100 for a 'first flight' certificate from your printing business. The flow of this response is purposely erratic to mirror this thread. Valid points?

PoA is funding accounts??

I have a mortgage...

Chase Accout Number HM0892476447-46632

Thanks in advance...
Can we extract money from that account to pay for Kimberly's flying?

Thank you. I don't know you personally so I will refrain from making any remarks about you.

BaZinGa! :D

---

Kim:

I appreciate your relentlessly positive attitude towards flying, your enthusiasm about sharing flight, and your generous spirit in taking others to fly.

For all these reasons, I look forward to meeting you some day.

best,

/s/ Spike

Seriously guys, drop it, let Kimberly be happy and share her happiness. If you want to sit here and destroy every thread with regulations debate make another thread for that or find a different forum.

BaZinGa! :D

---

Kim:

I appreciate your relentlessly positive attitude towards flying, your enthusiasm about sharing flight, and your generous spirit in taking others to fly.

For all these reasons, I look forward to meeting you some day.

best,

/s/ Spike

Spike,

That is sweet. Unfortunately we cannot please all of the people all of the time. I am aware of the people who not only dislike me, but who have privately listed numerous negative observations about me.

Unsolicited.

I am sad to see what the forums are becoming, but, since I've met so many of you in person, I know that the good people are still here.

We have to embrace the good and try our best to ignore (or at least not encourage) the bad.

Kimberly

Congratulations Kimberly, obviously your enthusiasm for flying and love of people caught someone's attention. Enjoy!! :)

(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.

Yes, I still have doubt. I am wondering if there is any way that the FAA would consider using money deposited into a flying account to be a violation of (c) above, or the fact that the FAA considers flight time to be compensation if the pilot doesn't pay for it (can't find it in part 61... yet...). But I no longer care because it seems that my simple question, intended to increase my knowledge, has been blown out of proportion. Never mind.

<edited to add the section about flight time being compensation>

This is really pretty simple, and for some reason you're looking for a violation where there isn't any. The intent of the regulation in question is to prevent those with a private pilot certificate from becoming de facto commercial operators. It's quite a stretch to interpret a gift to someone's flight school account as an act of hiring that individual to provide pilot services for the benefit of the giver.

JKG

This is really pretty simple, and for some reason you're looking for a violation where there isn't any. The intent of the regulation in question is to prevent those with a private pilot certificate from becoming de facto commercial operators. It's quite a stretch to interpret a gift to someone's flight school account as an act of hiring that individual to provide pilot services for the benefit of the giver.

JKG

No, I'm not looking for a violation. I was looking to learn. That didn't happen in this thread.

Spike,

That is sweet. Unfortunately we cannot please all of the people all of the time. I am aware of the people who not only dislike me, but who have privately listed numerous negative observations about me.

Unsolicited.

I am sad to see what the forums are becoming, but, since I've met so many of you in person, I know that the good people are still here.

We have to embrace the good and try our best to ignore (or at least not encourage) the bad.

Kimberly

While it often seems to work the other way, I find that in the long run, the effect of knowing a "good egg" outweighs an "asshat" in the quality of my life by a factor of at least ten.

I've been lucky to have met some wonderful people as a result of this board. (Cue "In My Life" by John Lennon)

No, I'm not looking for a violation. I was looking to learn. That didn't happen in this thread.

Nothing wrong with asking the question, but your refusal to accept the answer is puzzling. Good luck with your search.

JKG

> Why are you guys so certain ...

Kimberly,

You REALLY need to read the book, "The Male Brain." Actually, it's more of a
pamphlet ...

Okay, that last sentence was a joke. Buy the book. Read the book. Re-read the
book about every 24 months.

:dunno: Not for lack of people trying. Information has been dispensed, just not absorbed.

I'm am still amazed that any human with such limited time on earth would spend countless hours memorizing the FAR/AIM and considering its possible interpretations.

Everyone has to have a hobby. :D

And this one costs less than flying! :eek:

Seriously guys, drop it, let Kimberly be happy and share her happiness. If you want to sit here and destroy every thread with regulations debate make another thread for that or find a different forum.

I do find myself wishing that we could spend less time raining on other people's parades.

Spike,

Kimberly

I'm really curious about why Kimberly thinks that the people on this forum who may not like her are necessarily "bad" people?? It's very possible that they may be "good" people, or even "great" people. Or maybe... "just average" people who just happen to have an opinion about one particular person on this forum. Hmm... just sayin'. :idea:

And now, back to your regularly scheduled drama. :rolleyes:

I'm really curious about why Kimberly thinks that the people on this forum who may not like her are necessarily "bad" people?? It's very possible that they may be "good" people, or even "great" people. Or maybe... "just average" people who just happen to have an opinion about one particular person on this forum. Hmm... just sayin'. :idea:

Anybody who makes up a private list of "negative observations" about a person they encounter on an internet forum has something "bad" going on and probably needs a restraining order with their name on it.

Unless you have read the PRIVATE emails / PMs / etc that I am talking about I doubt you have any idea who or what I am referring to. If everyone on POA was great then we wouldn't have locked threads.

This is just my opinion, but.....

Maybe she does'nt. It may be that she, as many people on a forum do, bring forth honest questions, offer advise, or just express interest in something. Which, unfortunatly inevitable, is overridden by some smart-asses inappropriate jab. We have several here. I consider them bad people also. Bad because they have so little respect that they do such things. Many times they hide in anonymity behind fake usernames, etc. It's like they have nothing better to do than try to disrupt a forum of like-minded people that come together with commonality. With no real intention of offering anything of any value except to belittle others to raise themselves up.....
but that's just my opinion.....

Last edited:
Anybody who makes up a private list of "negative observations" about a person they encounter on an internet forum has something "bad" going on and probably needs a restraining order with their name on it.

Yes, and not only are there way more than one of these people who have contacted me privately, I have saved every communication. So yeah I have "proof". Why would all these people waste their precious time to give unsolicited feedback? I doubt they give negative and positive feedback in private to all the members on this forum (over 6,000 now) so to single someone out seems like an attack to me.

This is just my opinion, but.....

Maybe she does'nt. It may be that she, as many people on a forum do, bring forth honest questions, offer advise, or

Correct, I never said they were BAD PEOPLE. Please re-read my post. I said we have to do our best to ignore the bad. I meant browse over those posts in threads that get "ugly" or "bad". Not the people themselves. My words are obviously being changed.

When we ignore the bad, or try to, then we are not feeding the trolls.

Unless you have read the PRIVATE emails / PMs / etc that I am talking about I doubt you have any idea who or what I am referring to. If everyone on POA was great then we wouldn't have locked threads.

Just introducing the idea which could be new to you, that everyone's world doesn't center around this forum. And maybe, just maybe, some of those observations might have been caused by the actions or posts of the observee. In this case... you. I don't have to read any of your "private e-mails/ PMs/ etc" to have an opinion about that. And that doesn't make anyone necessarily a "bad" person. Your words above imply, of not specifically state, that just because everyone is not your friend on this forum or posts/sends you negative things about yourself, that they are "bad". Just sayin'... again. :D

Last edited:
Just introducing the idea which could be new to you, that everyone's world doesn't center around this forum. And maybe, just maybe, some of those observations might have been caused by the actions or posts of the observee. In this case... you. I don't have to read any of your "private e-mails/ PMs/ etc" to have an opinion about that. And that doesn't make anyone necessarily a "bad" person. Just sayin'... again. :D

Show me where I said somebody was a bad person. I said I got emails with unsolicited comments. I never said anyone was bad. But what I find interesting is these all came from people I have never met. None of the comments came from folks at the fly-ins.

Show me where I said somebody was a bad person. I said I got emails with unsolicited comments. I never said anyone was bad. But what I find interesting is these all came from people I have never met. None of the comments came from folks at the fly-ins.

Kimberly... Kimberly... Kimberly... continue to think that if you must. It's OK. :rolleyes: But, your wordsabove imply what you don't explicitly state. I didn't mean to upset you in any way... just an observation on my part.

Geez... that was a really passive aggressive comment there... oops. Perhaps I'm a "bad" person today. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back