You Know Who You Are

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I cannot go into details but I was just given a surprise gift of flight.

Literally.

POA was always awesome but this is WAY BEYOND. Sure, I did a few things for this person (we have never met in person, face to face), and I guess in a roundabout way those things have monetary value, but to me I feel like - in aviation - I should give back to the pilot community.

Thank you, sir pilot, you know who you are. At first I thought the dollar amount was random, but then realized it was related to the hourly rate in my 172.

When I got the email from my flight school that I had posted money to my account, I thought "this must be a mistake." Then I read the "comments" section of the receipt.

I will go flying tonight, or this weekend, in your honor. This is a first for me. Not even family or friends has bought me a gift certificate to my flight school.

YOU MADE MY WEEK.

I just called the flight school, so funny. They told this pilot over the phone "We know Kimberly and we are afraid she might not accept this. Let's just do this over the phone without contacting her."

Or something like that. I know every person there and that is sweet they knew I might refuse, especially from a pilot who probably needs the money for their own flying.

Thank goodness I have an account with them (that is one of their "plans" in order to get the "club rate").

I used to refuse gifts or be bad about that sort of thing. In this case, I will accept. Just this time only though, I'm making a special exception!!!

Wow, cool! You have your very own stalker!

Not at all. Like I said, without going into details.

I suppose this could seem stalker-ish. But it actually involves several pilots (not just the one gifting me). Long story. Way too complicated.

I just wanted to post in the hopes that this pilot (not even located in California) will see how much I appreciate the gesture.

Heh. Sometimes karma can work in your favor.

Somebody is trying to score a date lol.

Why are you guys so certain this pilot wants to get laid?

I get it, this is hard to believe, that truly good people still exist in the world.

From what I know about this pilot, there was never a hint of anything like that.

And remember, I did something for him and then, months later, he did something for me. Though I wasn't expecting anything - that is for sure.

Guys always assume "other" guys do things to get laid.:rolleyes: It's hard for some guys and girls to believe that there are decent people that do things for friends without some type of quid pro quo expected. (I hope I spelled that right) I think it's great that pilots help other pilots, male or female. I think the oddity here is that you are a pretty young lady and pretty girls make up about 3% of the pilot population.:dunno: I think it's right to accept the gift and one day you will pay it forward, whether it's taking a someone for their first airplane ride or flying someone to see their dying parent. The gift you received will be repaid to many others along the way and you will think of the gift giver everytime you do something nice for another pilot. ;)

I get it, this is hard to believe, that truly good people still exist in the world.

From what I know about this pilot, there was never a hint of anything like that.

And remember, I did something for him and then, months later, he did something for me. Though I wasn't expecting anything - that is for sure.

That's great! Too often we are reluctant to accept gifts... we need to remember how much we enjoy giving and that sometimes it's our turn to receive so that someone else can enjoy giving to us. Remember our lunch at PHL? It's important to let others do nice things for you now and then, so that those folks who love you can show it to you.

I'm of the impression that everything said here was in good humor. If an insinuation was made, I'm sure it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Everyone here is just glad that you enjoyed the gift. Throwing some spice in just funs things up a bit. At your expense, of course. :D

I'm sure this is pretty common. I can't even imagine how many hours of free flying Henning has received by now.:rofl:

That's great! Too often we are reluctant to accept gifts... we need to remember how much we enjoy giving and that sometimes it's our turn to receive so that someone else can enjoy giving to us. Remember our lunch at PHL? It's important to let others do nice things for you now and then, so that those folks who love you can show it to you.

Yes I remember but all of the people I bought that lunch for, that day, had already given me so much (and by so much I mean things that cost money to those people).

I agree though I really wanted to do that, and of course much more. Thank God all parties accepted or I would have snuck to the back of the restaurant and told my story to the manager and pre-paid. I've been know to do sneaky things like that (just did to a pilot two weeks ago who took me for a flight in their plane since I knew they wouldn't let me buy dinner).

Outstanding! A good surprise involving an airplane.... usually a surprise involves the words "Oh, &#it" :D

PoA is funding accounts??

I have a mortgage...

Chase Accout Number HM0892476447-46632

Thanks in advance...

PoA is funding accounts??

I have a mortgage...

Chase Accout Number HM0892476447

Thanks in advance...

No, no, no. Like I said I can't go into details about what I did for this person. The chances of a random POA member just randomly making a deposit into my account are slim to none.

Pay it forward! - this back and forth stuff keeps the karma bottle up :)

Congrats. Have fun.

If somebody wants to sleep with me I take donations to fly the Pitts. Its not prostitution I swear.

He's a guy right? ;)

Kidding of course. Nice to know there is more than one nice guy around. :rolleyes:

I used to be able to name all the nice guys on here on one hand. Now that I've been here longer I don't have enough fingers and toes.

What a nice gift! Hope you do get to use it soon - enjoy!!

Gary

It is perhaps the most perfect gift in the entire universe. I've even put it on my wish list when family insists I make a list for birthday or Christmas. This is the very first time my wish has come true.

I used to be able to name all the nice guys on here on one hand. Now that I've been here longer I don't have enough fingers and toes.
Why, did you take up carpentry? Oh, wait... never mind, I get it. I kid!

:D

Just a question... Being that I don't know the regs yet... Could it be interpreted as being compensated for flight? How does this mesh with a private pilot being required to pay at least his pro-rata share?

Sorry - don't want to rain on any parades, just wanto to understand.

Not really. If she goes on the date with the guy then yes. :p

Gifting money is a little different when it comes to flying. If the guy pays her to give him a bay tour that is compensation. But she's not being compensated with regards to the flight just because somebody bought her a gift certificate.

Last edited:
Just a question... Being that I don't know the regs yet... Could it be interpreted as being compensated for flight? How does this mesh with a private pilot being required to pay at least his pro-rata share?
AFAIK the person who gave her the money is not going along on the flight nor is she transporting anything for him or her. It doesn't matter where the money in the account comes from as long as it's not compensation. How else could people get scholarships for flight training?

AFAIK the person who gave her the money is not going along on the flight nor is she transporting anything for him or her. It doesn't matter where the money in the account comes from as long as it's not compensation. How else could people get scholarships for flight training?
I would think that it does matter. The way I understand the rules, a private pilot has to pay his pro-rata share. If I am wrong, fine. That's why I asked a question.

Scholarships? I hadn't thought of that. But that's not paying for a private pilot to fly. That's paying the tuition for a STUDENT pilot. I don't think we're comparing apples to apples.

I mean, obviously, a person can give someone money, and they can CHOOSE to spend that money flying. But the way I understand it, I would think doing it in this way may raise a red flag - despositing money in someone's FLYING account. Obviously then the private pilot is not paying his own pro-rata share.

Where is my logic wrong?

Scholarships? I hadn't thought of that. But that's not paying for a private pilot to fly. That's paying the tuition for a STUDENT pilot. I don't think we're comparing apples to apples.
A private pilot can get a scholarship for an advance rating, aerobatic training, or any number of things.

Not really. If she goes on the date with the guy then yes. :p

Gifting money is a little different when it comes to flying. If the guy pays her to give him a bay tour that is compensation. But she's not being compensated with regards to the flight just because somebody bought her a gift certificate.
Ok. How do I know where the line is drawn, though? Is this different than if I went flying with someone and when we got back, they pulled out their credit card and paid the rental? If yes, how is it different? How about if I went flying, and someone across the country called the FBO while I was up, and paid it with their credit card? Would that be legal?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative - I'm trying to find the line. My wife tells me that with me there is no grey - I need to see the line between black and white.

It's possible she coached him/her through flight training and she/he got the certificate they were pining for and in appreciation gifted Kim with $$$. I gave my CFI money for putting up with me at the end. Pro-rata is only if the person is flying with you they never met face to face.

Way to go Kim for whatever you did to another PoA'er!

Ok. Show me in the regs how they do it.

61.113 Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft.
It seems to me that the payer, whether it is Kimberly's friend or a scholarship committee, would need to realize some benefit from the flight in order for it to be a flight "for compensation or hire".

Sigh. I suspect Kimberly is clean on the compensation aspect of the gift. But, now the flags are out.

That's why I never use my given name, Hugh G. Reckson, on a public forum.

If scholarships were a problem they would have been challenged years ago. Here is an example of one.

http://icasfoundation.org/scholarship-jones

The Jan Jones Memorial Scholarship has been made possible through an endowment from Jan's parents, William and Mary Jones and other generous donors. The scholarship provides a grant to be applied towards aerobatic training. The recipient must be a female, hold a private pilot's license, and write a short essay on why she wants to learn aerobatics. The recipient is selected by a panel of female aerobatic pilots, and announced at the International Council of Air Shows Annual Convention, held every December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back