"You do realize this is not a plane right?" She says.

I'm just glad that my wife doesn't read my posts on the web sites I'm on the most.

when I was in college, after an exciting night of carrying cancelled checks in an antique twin cessna, I'd drive home half asleep. I'd wake from my driving-slumber to see the "airspeed" in the 60's. Panic, push forward on the immovable steering wheel, reach for non-existent throttles and knock all my loose change out of the ashtray. Engines aren't responding where are those fuel pump switches, hey they are where I have my coffee sitting, let's dump that on the floor too. After this happened a couple times I made the mistake of confessing it to a couple of my fraternity brothers. There was a guy in the house who knew a little about planes so they took paint markers and drew red and blue lines and a white arc on my pickup's speedometer.

Reminds me of the rich white kid at our airport who often calls up the tower on his handheld and asks permission to make a high-speed pass on the rwy. Without wings, that is. He drives an $80,000 sports car on the 6,000ft rwy and has fun. But always gets bad looks from grumpy pilots. I am waiting for the day when a police cruiser actually shows up and is told "talk to the tower, I had permission". :)

Reminds me of the rich white kid at our airport who often calls up the tower on his handheld and asks permission to make a high-speed pass on the rwy. Without wings, that is. He drives an $80,000 sports car on the 6,000ft rwy and has fun. But always gets bad looks from grumpy pilots. I am waiting for the day when a police cruiser actually shows up and is told "talk to the tower, I had permission". :)

I wonder if GRR would let me do that. 10,000ft of runway. I wonder what I could get the Vette up to. Nice thing is the distance markers letting me know how much I have left.

Can we talk more about class Bravo?

There is a lot of that here at Stearman Field, minus the tower of course. The real kicker is when an RV goes down the runway. I don't care how fast you get it going those things are never going to get off of the ground!

Attachments

• RV on Runway.jpg
    RV on Runway.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 16
I wonder if GRR would let me do that. 10,000ft of runway. I wonder what I could get the Vette up to. Nice thing is the distance markers letting me know how much I have left.

Tesla did some of their road testing here, on one of the two 9500 foot parallel runways.

I don't know if the runway was NOTAMed closed at the time, but it's a good bet Ground had cleared it (it IS a movement area even if the runway is closed).

It was eerie to watch, as the cars were blasting by at 100+ MPH making no noise aside from wind and a little road noise.

Well, if you're a student pilot, you're supposed to be on the LEFT side of the centerline. That's what they all seem to do!

Only problem with that particular runway is that it's short and REALLY obstructed. Those guys need to watch where they land their 747s as well.

Amen to that. :yes:

Engineers. Can't live with em, can't kill em(yet).

Careful. Some of us engineers might shoot back. :D

when I was in college, after an exciting night of carrying cancelled checks in an antique twin cessna, I'd drive home half asleep. I'd wake from my driving-slumber to see the "airspeed" in the 60's. Panic, push forward on the immovable steering wheel, reach for non-existent throttles and knock all my loose change out of the ashtray. Engines aren't responding where are those fuel pump switches, hey they are where I have my coffee sitting, let's dump that on the floor too. After this happened a couple times I made the mistake of confessing it to a couple of my fraternity brothers. There was a guy in the house who knew a little about planes so they took paint markers and drew red and blue lines and a white arc on my pickup's speedometer.

Very good. No blue line on the single engine planes I fly, but not a bad idea. Might spark some interesting conversations. :D

No, haven't done that.

But I'll admit that I've pulled back on the steering wheel trying to get the speed to go down while feeling for the throttle that wasn't there. There was momentary panic for about a second over why the car wasn't even slowing down.

Did someone threaten to shoot (at) you? Or, alternately - why are you quoting me?

Read your post again. You stated that you can't kill engineers (yet) and I'm just suggesting that we engineers might not sit still for such anti-social behavior.

The SLF at KSC also allows "vehicle straight-line testing" on the runway. When I was last there, they had a few NASCAR and fast standing-mile cars doing testing. It was a mix of our vertical testbed (rocket), T38s, Government transports, and the cars all week long.

--Carlos V.

Read your post again. You stated that you can't kill engineers (yet) and I'm just suggesting that we engineers might not sit still for such anti-social behavior.

Well, since I'm an engineer, I'm not projecting. If you will read the whole train from Bryan to me, and back then the statement in question, you'll find that I'm referring to myself. It's also a common figure of speech, and not meant as a direct threat to engineers in general lest you think you should notify the FBI or something in defense of all engineers worldwide.

I know this is going to shock you to your core, but the earth isn't revolving around you(engineer or otherwise). :nonod:

In summary -- chillax.

Well, since I'm an engineer, I'm not projecting. If you will read the whole train from Bryan to me, and back then the statement in question, you'll find that I'm referring to myself. It's also a common figure of speech, and not meant as a direct threat to engineers in general lest you think you should notify the FBI or something in defense of all engineers worldwide.

I know this is going to shock you to your core, but the earth isn't revolving around you(engineer or otherwise). :nonod:

In summary -- chillax.

You might be the only one that didn't realize Ghery was joking.

I've never done that but..like above I've pulled back on the steering wheel trying to take off and I scan my gauges frequently and look for traffic in the sky. That last one has about got me in trouble a few times!

My steak and beer arrived.

LIKE A BOSS!!! (a little back pain goes a long way ;) )

attachment.php

Attachments

• food.jpg
    food.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 126

Should I tell you about the ribs I had this evening? Okay, they were leftover from yesterday...but still really tasty. Maybe it'll get cold enough for another hangar BBQ - I've got a couple new menu items that are starting to work out really well.

attachment.php

Good to see you brought home the "bacon"... Altho cooking it is WOMANS work....:yes::yes:........:D

Ps.. and washing the dishes too....:yes:

And... to keep this from a serious thread drift.... I always straddle the center line out here if I can see down the road and nothing is coming.. It helps when having the swerve from Deer, Elk, Antelope, Moose, Buffalo, Bears, Mountain Lions, Cows , Horses, etc etc...
From the middle of the road you have a even distance to swerve to clear the obsticle before you hit the snow bank on each side of the road.... And...... I pay taxes for BOTH sides of the road, and I am getting my money's worth...:yes::yes:;)

Last edited:
Ale... pfft. You almost made it to man-drink and a real beer. Almost. ;)

Not much of a craft beer kind of guy. Gimme a room temp can of two week old PBR - it's all good. I don't care for beers that look like they should be in the syrup tray at IHOP.

fosters is export-only much like corona. No australian (or mexican) would drink that swill

fosters is export-only much like corona. No australian (or mexican) would drink that swill

I saw Fosters for sale everywhere in NSW. In small cans, not the big ones we see in the US.

An interesting beer brand in OZ is XXXX. Tastes fine. It is sold mostly in Queensland. In NSW they say the beer is called XXXX because in Queensland they are so stupid they can't spell "beer."

Last edited:
I saw Fosters for sale everywhere in NSW. In small cans, not the big ones we see in the US.

An interesting beer brand in OZ is XXXX. Tastes fine. It is sold mostly in Queensland. In NSW they say the beer is called XXXX because in Queensland they are so stupid they can't spell "beer."
XXXX is pretty good, far better than V.B. But I like the local brew best down here, Boags

I suppose it depends on how one defines "export". Fosters is brewed in Fort Worth, TX, and in Albany, GA.

Last edited:
I heard Stella Artois is another export-only beer. In the U.S. it's sold as a high-end premium beer, in Europe it's equivalent to Busch beer stateside.

Also for those that care Bass, Beck's, & Stella Artois are all actually brewed in the U.S. now. There may be a couple other InBev related 'imports' that are no longer imported, but those are the ones they had already converted or were in the process of converting when I left the company.

Altho cooking it is WOMANS work....:yes::yes:........:D

Not in my house. My wife can't bake cookies w/o burning them. I do 100% of the cooking at home. And 95% of the cleaning.

...until now it had never occurred to me that maybe I'm her *****.

Not in my house. My wife can't bake cookies w/o burning them. I do 100% of the cooking at home. And 95% of the cleaning.

...until now it had never occurred to me that maybe I'm her *****.

Whatever floats your boat....:D

I suppose it depends on how one define's "export". Fosters is brewed in Fort Worth, TX, and in Albany, Ga.

IME trying to find anything but Corona or Pacifico in Mexico at any sort of restaurant or food stand is impossible. Even way off the beating path, local food stand with all local customers, the options are Corona or Pacifico.

IME trying to find anything but Corona or Pacifico in Mexico at any sort of restaurant or food stand is impossible. Even way off the beating path, local food stand with all local customers, the options are Corona or Pacifico.

Well, I've had good luck finding XX in Mexico. BTW, do you know how XX got its name?

Must've been a heck of a package tour. :rolleyes:

Nauga,
skipping the bruise cruise

True, I was wondering the same thing. :D

One time at an unfamiliar S FL airport I was taxiing and looking for a specific business.

Suddenly I came upon a stop sign (!). :eek:

Somehow, somewhere the taxiway line I had been following had changed over to a white line without me noticing the transition.

Got turned around and somehow got where I was going.

Seems like my blunders most often occur on the ground - which I guess is not a bad thing, overall.

Back