X-C Plane Selection Advice

deelee is right….mooneys are great….fast, economical, sexy beasts. which is exactly why I’ll recommend a bonanza.

Really? I do 300+nm trips in my 140 (160 hp STC) with the wife, dog and enough baggage for an entire week on a monthly basis and still have weight and space to spare.

If OP only needs two seats, he can take out the backseats which gives him plenty of space for golf clubs.

And in my Tiger, I can fold down the rear seat and get almost 6 feet of cargo space. 135 KTAS at 8000 ft, 52 gals at 10 gph, and 900 LBs of useful load, with full fuel that leaves, almost 600 LBs of golf clubs and bags. Plus the wife likes the view due to canopy windows which go above your peripheral eyeline. Did I mention the canopy for easy ingress and egress?

FWIW - I would love an RV9. But wife would have trouble getting in and out. And I need a smoother (heavier) platform for trips. After the last trip we did in a tiger, never again. Too bumpy for her. Likes the station wagon Skylane. So that is what we use and will eventually buy.

Take a look at the wing loading. Tiger has a higher wing loading than the 182. Maybe you just needed a lighter touch on the responsive controls. :rolleyes:

Potomac is also only 2600 feet of runway and sort of in a bowl.

I used to fly helicopter and a 7KCAB out of Hyde field nearby. I flew the Citabria into Potomac a few times.

I am in the greater DC area (live a ways away, but commuted to office in Rosslyn). Personally, I would look to living further out. More space, lower housing costs, don't have to deal with the SFRA.

The drive from Arlington to Potomac is about the same as the drive to Manassas or Leesburg so I would look at those two airports. Also I have relatives that worked in Arlington and lived in Arlington but moved to the Northern Va area for more affordable housing.

And in my Tiger, I can fold down the rear seat and get almost 6 feet of cargo space. 135 KTAS at 8000 ft, 52 gals at 10 gph, and 900 LBs of useful load, with full fuel that leaves, almost 600 LBs of golf clubs and bags. Plus the wife likes the view due to canopy windows which go above your peripheral eyeline. Did I mention the canopy for easy ingress and egress?

Our club Tiger doesn’t spend anywhere close to 10 gph. Closer to 9 max but I’m flying at 10-ish in altitude and not shooting for max IAS. Tigers are sweet GA aircraft. Aerodynamic (not covered in rivets and streamlined in other ways). And you can open the canopy for additional cooling as you wish.

Our club Tiger doesn’t spend anywhere close to 10 gph. Closer to 9 max but I’m flying at 10-ish in altitude and not shooting for max IAS. Tigers are sweet GA aircraft. Aerodynamic (not covered in rivets and streamlined in other ways). And you can open the canopy for additional cooling as you wish.

9 isn’t “anywhere close” to ten. Gotcha.

using 10 makes it is easy. 52 gals total, 5.2 hrs. At the tabs, 19 gals per side, 3.8 hrs total. I have a dip stick that starts at 10 and goes in 1 gal increments to 26 gals. Dip the tanks and 12 gals per side, 1.2 hrs per side. I like to keep things easy and simple.

When you narrow your list down, I would recommend you take your wife to "try on" the ones you think fit best. I personally don't care for climbing over the right seat to board and really like having two doors. To each his or her own, though.

When you narrow your list down, I would recommend you take your wife to "try on" the ones you think fit best. I personally don't care for climbing over the right seat to board and really like having two doors. To each his or her own, though.

When you get to this step be SURE to never let your spouse sit in a PA-32

Back