Wright Brothers book from 50 years ago

William Pete Hodges

Pre-takeoff checklist
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Petehdgs
When I was about 8 or10 years old we owned and lived on a working farm. At that time my mother would take us to the library in town about every 2 weeks and she encouraged us to read. I really didn't like to read that much and would rather spend time outside on the farm and in the woods. A lot of the books I got from the library (at my mother's insistence) never got read, or never got read very far into the story. Then one day I picked out a book about the Wright Brothers and Kill Devil Hill. To me initially the book seemed slow and boring and I just dropped it. My mother talked to me when she noticed I wasn't reading it. She had read the book and told me if I could just get through the first couple of chapters the book would become alot more interesting and she thought I might really enjoy it. Well... she was right. It was interesting, fascinating actually, and I really did enjoy reading it. Not only that but I remember passages from that book often. So now that I'm 62, maybe I'd like to read it again.

Do any of you know what book I am talking about? I don't remember the exact title or the author, but it was written for adolescent children or young adults. I think maybe Kill Devil Hill was in the title, or certainly discussed on the inside flap. It was also beautifully illustrated with a hand drawing in every chapter. (Not enough pictures for me at the time!) One of the early chapters involved taking a boat to the Kill Devil Hill area, and having to propel the boat with poles.

If you know of this book and can help, thank you in advance.

I have the excellent 1989 book titled ..... "The Bishop's Boys" ... one of the best on the Wright Brother and has lots of pictures.
Many used copies available cheap.
The author and publishers made a blunder with the title and for that reason it practically remained unknown
(The Wright Bros father was a Bishop)

Check out 'bookfinder.com' I looked for a while. Many, many Wright Bro. books. Not seeing anything falling into your date range. It may be there though;-)

I remember back in the 60s I had a series of books on famous people. I don't remember if there was one on the Wright brothers, but the one on Lee DeForest caught my eye and had a description of the operation of the diode and triode tubes that was really good (and basic - look at the audience). I wish I could remember what the series was and who the publisher was to help you out.

Has there every been a movie about the Wright Brothers? It would be a fascinating film.

Thank you all for your replies. I found a link to ask a librarian. The librarian who replied just happens to have this book on the shelf. The book is "The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk" 1961 by Donald Sobel. The librarian opened the book and confirmed the hand drawn illustrations and the account of the boat trip to Kitty Hawk. All the 1961 first editions I found for sale online are paperbacks, but I did see some hardcover ones printed in the '70s. They run from $5-8, and 1 '64 signed by Sobel for $28.

Thank you all for your feedback.

I don't know the book. But if you want some good reading, The books by Robert Searling are usually pretty good. My favorite is the Electra Story. My Dad had probably 3000 hrs in the electra, and some of his friends were mentioned in the book. Also When the airlines went to war, well worth the read. my Dad flew ATC, and I flew CRAF. So close to home. I knew the Pilot that was the main character in "She won her Wings". Interesting background story on the politics surrounding that book.

I don't know the book. But if you want some good reading, The books by Robert Searling are usually pretty good. My favorite is the Electra Story. My Dad had probably 3000 hrs in the electra, and some of his friends were mentioned in the book. Also When the airlines went to war, well worth the read. my Dad flew ATC, and I flew CRAF. So close to home. I knew the Pilot that was the main character in "She won her Wings". Interesting background story on the politics surrounding that book.

I just read that one recently. Good book.

Somewhere packed away I have a book titled ''The Future of Air Travel''. I think it was published in 1948. It is written more for children. It starts with a brief history of air travel in the US, then goes on about this new type of airplane called a jet plane that will soon carry 500 folks from New York City to London in 2 hours. Then goes into the future. It states that by 2000 there will be regular scheduled flights daily to the moon, and that everyone will be traveling by flying car. No mention if it will fold up into a briefcase by pushing a button.....

9eebd40a00dbdbc9aba05faf7164e8ab.png

Last edited:
Has there every been a movie about the Wright Brothers? It would be a fascinating film.

Here is a long youtube illustrated talk titled
The Wright Brothers DOD invent the airplane.
It was probably motivated by all of the anti-Wright Brazilian critics.
It is a long two part video lecture.

I enjoyed the book "How we Invented the Airplane" by Wilbur Wright. My short summary: They did the math, and they did wind-tunnel testing.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Invented-Airplane-Illustrated-Transportation/dp/0486256626/

Reading that, especially the early gliding sessions with Octave Chanute, it sounds so familiar, just some guys hanging out on the hang gliding hill or ultralight field.

The Wright Brothers DOD invent the airplane.
It was probably motivated by all of the anti-Wright Brazilian critics.

And the Connecticut Gustav Whitehead fans (I live in CT but don't drink that particular kool-aid).

I know the OP found what he was looking for, but another good children's book I remember from my own childhood is The Wright Brothers - Pioneers of American Aviation by Quentin Reynolds. Written for kids with many fictionalized anecdotes and dialog, but it emphasizes the careful planning and development work they did.

Glad you found your book. I thought you might have been referring to this one:

upload_2022-4-17_10-5-31.png

upload_2022-4-17_10-6-38.png

It also has lots of good illustrations. I read it back in 3rd or 4th grade and then found a copy a few years ago.

Back