Wow, talk about a steaming pile of crap.

It's so hard these days to develop any kind of JVM embedded web page without some issues. There are certain jobs that Java is useful for, and this is one that lends itself to Java applet, but certainly there are plenty of ways to do it without.

Honestly, if I ran any kind of commercial website, I would prohibit the use of JVM, or JavaBeans, or anything related to it, even if it meant opening another companion page for special conditions. However, when you do that, critics come on and bash you for your interface looking like it was written in the 1990s, so there's no winning.

It's so hard these days to develop any kind of JVM embedded web page without some issues. There are certain jobs that Java is useful for, and this is one that lends itself to Java applet, but certainly there are plenty of ways to do it without.

Honestly, if I ran any kind of commercial website, I would prohibit the use of JVM, or JavaBeans, or anything related to it, even if it meant opening another companion page for special conditions. However, when you do that, critics come on and bash you for your interface looking like it was written in the 1990s, so there's no winning.

Say what??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm not seeing the route planning features on vfrmap. Does that site have it?
Yeah, the new skyvector isn't what I'm looking for. The flight plan page is nice and all, with wind correction factors, but I like to do that stuff by hand still. I got a couple of errors on the site, and am not sure I'd trust their math just yet.

I thought this would be another thread about Trump.

What are you talking about, SkyVector does not use Java.

What are you talking about, SkyVector does not use Java.

Hmmmm, Strange... You can tell I don't code. I've had the same type of issues mentioned here, and from other websites that devolved to JVM problems.

I've heard that Java and JavaScript are two different things. Not sure what JVM is.

I've heard that Java and JavaScript are two different things. Not sure what JVM is.

They are, vastly different.

The JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is a program that runs java byte code. The idea is that you write the java code and it will run on any operating system that has the jvm program installed. (As opposed to say "C" code which has to run on the same OS it was written on...for the most part). The downside to having the JVM between the OS and the code is that it's an extra step that's slower and makes accessing hardware difficult.

An Applet is a java programs running inside your browser. Skyvector does not use an applet. Nor does anyone that builds a website that they actually want people to look at.

JavaBeans are very simple ways to structure a data within a program. Just about any java program that accesses a database will use them.

Doc, don't interview for any technical lead positions :D

Java Virtual Machine. It is a virtual computing device which can run on almost any platform, and run Java applets that is specific for that instance.

Doc, don't interview for any technical lead positions :D

Actually, I'm tech all the way. But - I haven't coded for decades. When I was at SUN, we tried to put Java in everything, so I'm kinda hot when I see something that looks like Java. The nav box has the appearance/function of a Java applet, but I didn't look at the source.

I work mostly with very large, very messy networks. Little scripts sometimes, no Java.

Way to go Skyvector. You just made your website a complete pile of ****.

I don't remember all the names and avatars, but weren't you the one, on another thread, who declared NEVER to use Foreflight and an Apple product on "principle"?

Seems like there is something to be said for Apple and Foreflight's approach to business.

I don't remember all the names and avatars, but weren't you the one, on another thread, who declared NEVER to use Foreflight and an Apple product on "principle"?

Seems like there is something to be said for Apple and Foreflight's approach to business.

I don't see the connection at all. Skyvector had a product that everyone liked from the beginning and then completely changed it. So I have no idea what the comparison is.

I don't see what's so difficult about it.......type in your flight plan into the big open white box area thingy. I'll even give you an example so you can copy and paste it then hit enter, unless that's also too difficult: kjqf kgmu kcre kjqf
which happens to be a trip I just took recently. now it shows more like garmin pilot and some other flight planning tools, with departure, destination, and routing inbetween. pretty easy, actually. I'm not saying I like it, it's just not very difficult to figure out.

Everyone has a browser preference including website developers. Quite frequently a developer will build and test using a specific browser and just hope it works in others.

Last edited:
Typing waypoints into the big white box works okay in Chrome and IE, but not Firefox. That's what I found.

After you've entered your waypoints, if you click NavLog, it now opens a new page with a printable Log sheet, having blanks that you can fill in by pencil while en route.

If you click on the blue airplane symbol to the left of the Spd box, you can edit your aircraft info, for cruise fuel flow. Previously that was something you entered in the same simple box as your flight plan.

Overall, I like the changes. You just can't use it with Firefox right now.

If you click on the blue airplane symbol to the left of the Spd box, you can edit your aircraft info, for cruise fuel flow. Previously that was something you entered in the same simple box as your flight plan.

Overall, I like the changes. You just can't use it with Firefox right now.

Even without Firefox, it has a few bugs.

Nothing earth shattering, but rather annoying.

It appears to be becoming a front end for LMFSS. It has a long way to go, but I do like the nav log.

I don't see what's so difficult about it.......type in your flight plan into the big open white box area thingy. I'll even give you an example so you can copy and paste it then hit enter, unless that's also too difficult: kjqf kgmu kcre kjqf
which happens to be a trip I just took recently. now it shows more like garmin pilot and some other flight planning tools, with departure, destination, and routing inbetween. pretty easy, actually. I'm not saying I like it, it's just not very difficult to figure out.

As I previously stated, that does not work. Hitting enter clears the box and removes any rubber banded waypoints. The min-log has also been removed from the map page, which mean I have to switch back and forth between pages to see distances. Re. Tar. Ded.

Working great for me.

Hitting enter clears the previous rubber banding and erases everything.

Locate the 'help', 'about' tab/link on your browser, and drop info in here.

I didn't see this when I asked.
Have you tried any other browsers? Perhaps you should at least partly blame FireFox.

My complaint is more about the removal of the mini navlog.

I only use FireFox because
1) IE is a security disaster
2) I don't want Google mining everything I am doing with Chrome

Firefox is not to blame on this. This is a webdev problem.

I'm getting quite a few errors using Chrome as well.

Chrome... you don't need to log into a google account to use it. You can change the search engine it uses to something like this... https://duckduckgo.com/

It appears they fixed the box entry for routing, and you can drag/delete waypoints around in the box to adjust your route, but it's still missing the "mini log" on the map page. :mad:

ya the new skyvector sucks monkey butt. I won't be using it much anymore. The old way it showed your leg distances/times was great. The new thing is a totally different page and it just sucks.

Damn those insensitive bastards for ruining a free product. I'm not going to send them any money ever again. That'll show 'em.

The leftover remnants of FlightPrep's spunk remains on their chin. I won't kiss them until they've cleaned it up and removed the kneepads.

I don't see the connection at all. Skyvector had a product that everyone liked from the beginning and then completely changed it. So I have no idea what the comparison is.

Ahem. I liked skyvector until they polished FlightPrep's knob and facilitated the demise of other, better options because FlightPrep suddenly had a success under their belt.

I just tried it and it appears to work fine for me.
I tried to log in so I could use some of the new features and it didn’t recognize my password.
I called and David was very nice and is going to fix it.
I was initially intimidated by the new stuff but David said to just do it like before and it worked for me.
David just got back to me so I am going to log in and explore the new features.

Damn those insensitive bastards for ruining a free product. I'm not going to send them any money ever again. That'll show 'em.

When a site is supported by advertising, the number of users determines how much they can charge for ads, no? I would think that would create an incentive to keep the users happy.

Typing waypoints into the big white box works okay in Chrome and IE, but not Firefox. That's what I found.
I'm using Firefox with no problems.

Seems pretty easy for me.

Type stuff in the empty box and it just happens.

Rubber band and stuff appears in the box right where it should.

Type more in the white box and stuff gets added.

Delete stuff from the white box and it goes away.

:dunno:

Even a geezer can do it.

Yes, it is missing the distance numbers that used to show up.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back