Wow, talk about a steaming pile of crap.

I'm using Firefox with no problems.

Seems pretty easy for me.

Type stuff in the empty box and it just happens.

Rubber band and stuff appears in the box right where it should.

Type more in the white box and stuff gets added.

Delete stuff from the white box and it goes away.

:dunno:

Even a geezer can do it.

That just got fixed. It wasn't working earlier.

The mini-log is still missing though - and Dave at skyvector bust have blocked my e-mail.

Imagine that. Telling someone very publicly that they have a steaming pile of crap, and they block your email. Shesh, some people are so sensitive about that kind of stuff.

Still working fine here.

Imagine that. Telling someone very publicly that they have a steaming pile of crap, and they block your email. Shesh, some people are so sensitive about that kind of stuff.

Still working fine here.

You have the mini-log on the map page?

If that's a no, then it is NOT working fine.

When a site is supported by advertising, the number of users determines how much they can charge for ads, no? I would think that would create an incentive to keep the users happy.

Good point. I bet the loudest complainers in this thread clicked through thousands of those ads and made boucoup bucks for Skyvector. I'm sure they'll miss those users.

Following this thread, it seems to me that most folks are taking this as a "meh" kinda change. Some even see it as an improvement. Only a very small number are throwing out curse words to describe it and behaving in ways that get their email blocked by the site owner.

Yall need to click the ads. The folks at flight prep have to eat too you know.

Last edited:
Good point. I bet the loudest complainers in this thread clicked through thousands of those ads and made boucoup bucks for Skyvector. I'm sure they'll miss those users.

Following this thread, it seems to me that most folks are taking this as a "meh" kinda change. Some even see it as an improvement. Only a very small number are throwing out curse words to describe it and behaving in ways that get their email blocked by the site owner.

Whether the changes result in a significant change in usage levels and/or revenue is anybody's guess. I certainly don't see it as any kind of moral issue that people are complaining about a free service. If I were the owner of an advertising-supported Web site, I would consider the complaints to be potentially useful information, which by the way also happens to be free.

Still working fine here.

Do you see a flight plan box in the old spot that shows distances on the map page? That's what I really used that site for, quick measuring of distances to make rough flight plans. Don't really like having to open another page to see that info. Plus the flight plan page seems to be including IFR nav spots, stuff I don't care about, so I won't print that page out and use it.

For those of you more interested in reality over fiction and in solutions rather than childish whining, I'm posting my exchange with the CEO of SkyVector below. The "forums" that are mentioned are the SV forums not POA.

SDDiver said:
Dave,

First off, thank you for all your hard work and thought that goes into SkyVector!

I for one really appreciate the new version and I find the majority of the complaints by a number of users to be non-issues.

For example, the ability to shuffle waypoints. I found that (a) you still can and (b) you don’t really have to because you can just insert them where you need them.

Or the map not centering over a waypoint. It does when you select it in the flight plan. I like that.

What I did find though is that if I use an older version of IE, then some things don’t work right. For example, the icons for “new,” “save,” and “load” are not visible. If you mouse over where they should be, you’ll get a tooltip box. In Chrome I have no issues at all.

A couple suggestions (from one s/w dev to another) ... what if the balloons on the map along the magenta lines would contain the time in addition to the distance (that seems to be an ongoing complaint by some)? And perhaps instead of (or addition to) displaying a right arrow in the flight plan box, you put the time, distance and bearing in parenthesis? The flight plan box seems to be plain text and I’m not sure you receive any user events back from it. But if you did, you wouldn’t need to insert the aforementioned data but could display a tooltip when a user mouses over a right arrow.

Just some ideas.

Keep up the good work and don’t loose any sleep over the ignorant forum posts. However, I do think many would appreciate it if you were to make an appearance on the forum and clear up some of the misunderstandings.

All the best!

D** M*****
(sddiver on the forum)

David Graves said:
Hey D**,

Thanks for your email, and a special thanks for your comments in the forums. I've been crazy busy at Oshkosh, but I've been composing a message that will go into the forums soon.

There are few things still to do, I'm a fix-the-bug, not a talk-about-the-bug kinda guy. So you can expect your good suggestions to be implemented soon.

The Open/Save/New buttons missing in IE is actually bigger, it affects the icons on all of the buttons and confirmations, as well as the aircraft button. I really want to figure this one out, so if you could send me any details about the version(s) of IE that exhibit the problem I would be grateful. I know we tested as far back as IE8.

I really love your tooltip in the route strip idea. Expect to see that soon.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

-dg

I've done some more testing since our exchange and found that the user interface issues go all the way up to at least Internet Explorer v.10.0.24. However in 10.0.29 they're no longer apparent and things work like they do in Chrome. I did let Dave know about it and I'm sure the issues will be addressed soon.

I use SV in Chrome almost daily and it works perfectly for me. Like I said in my email to Dave, I'm very happy with the changes. As for fixes and updates and wish lists, just exercise a little patience. They will be implemented shortly.

For those of you more interested in reality over fiction and in solutions rather than childish whining, I'm posting my exchange with the CEO of SkyVector below. The "forums" that are mentioned are the SV forums not POA.

I've done some more testing since our exchange and found that the user interface issues go all the way up to at least Internet Explorer v.10.0.24. However in 10.0.29 they're no longer apparent and things work like they do in Chrome. I did let Dave know about it and I'm sure the issues will be addressed soon.

I use SV in Chrome almost daily and it works perfectly for me. Like I said in my email to Dave, I'm very happy with the changes. As for fixes and updates and wish lists, just exercise a little patience. They will be implemented shortly.

Perhaps launching a big change, unannounced, then high-tailing it out of town so as to be unable to support it was not the brightest decision.

Or, maybe it's gone exactly as desired ... :rolleyes:

Well now, THAT'S useful.
A bit more clicky than old SV and not great on a mobile device (conflict between panning map and scrolling window), but at least there's a nav log.

Indeed. Until skyvector restores the interactive nav log function, iflightplanner has replaced SV on my flight planning tab on my browser. To the original poster, thanks for the find!!

I'm with Ed on this one, this one is the single most important functionality feature of a flight planning site, the ability to run iteration upon iteration of time/distance modifications to a proposed travel plan.

[...]
Yeah, the new skyvector isn't what I'm looking for. The flight plan page is nice and all, with wind correction factors, but I like to do that stuff by hand still. [...]

Does anybody know how to prevent SkyVector from taking wind into consideration?

Does anybody know how to prevent SkyVector from taking wind into consideration?

Good question. It seems to use wind even if you leave date and time blank, and even if you specify a date far in the future.

Good question. It seems to use wind even if you leave date and time blank, and even if you specify a date far in the future.

Exactly. For daydreaming / long term trip planning purposes, I prefer zero wind calculations. If all fields are left empty, SkyVector seem to use an altitude of 8,000 ft and winds of an unknown date / time.

A "bug" I have noticed is that when you right click a waypoint that is an airport with a weather station you don't get the drop down that allows you to remove it. Of course I don't suppose this is the place to log a bug report.

A "bug" I have noticed is that when you right click a waypoint that is an airport with a weather station you don't get the drop down that allows you to remove it. Of course I don't suppose this is the place to log a bug report.
And if you click somewhere else to close it that has, say, an active airmet and you have the airmets layer turned on, THAT popup will come up and you have to click again to close it.

I don't think that's anything new.

I've found the SkyVector interface annoying all along, that's why I can't really get too excited about an "improvement" that doesn't really work well. All I really use it for is an overview of current weather conditions in an area or along a simple route. For serious flight planning, I use ForeFlight.

My complaint is more about the removal of the mini navlog.

Don't know when it happened, but I just noticed a toggle switch with "show mini navlog" tooltip.

Don't know when it happened, but I just noticed a toggle switch with "show mini navlog" tooltip.

Too late. When he figuratively gave me the middle finger and told me to FO, I put SV on the list of do not access websites on all my routers/firewalls.

It still does the wind calculation for you. Like what if I'm going tomorrow or next week? It's stupid.

Too late. When he figuratively gave me the middle finger and told me to FO, I put SV on the list of do not access websites on all my routers/firewalls.

You have to block yourself to prevent you from accessing something you don't like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks, it's not the end of the world if someone doesn't like something that you like, or vice versa.

You have to block yourself to prevent you from accessing something you don't like?

I'm pretty sure it's to block SV on sites that embed its content.

On an entirely different subject - I'm wondering if you'd tell me more about this iPhone Tapatalk app you're using?

...On an entirely different subject - I'm wondering if you'd tell me more about this iPhone Tapatalk app you're using?

if you really don't know about tapatalk, I recommend it. I fought it at first, didn't see the need but once you use it it's almost painful to go back to the normal 'web' view. basically, you can link to all the forums you're on and kind of centralize the data. you can subscribe to threads you're interested in or mark them read if you don't want them to appear. once you get used to it, it becomes quite handy. they went through a really rough phase where some of their upgrades really p!ssed people off (as is applicable to this thread) but if you stuck with them they worked most of the junk out and it's back to 'normal'.

if you really don't know about tapatalk, I recommend it. I fought it at first, didn't see the need but once you use it it's almost painful to go back to the normal 'web' view. basically, you can link to all the forums you're on and kind of centralize the data. you can subscribe to threads you're interested in or mark them read if you don't want them to appear. once you get used to it, it becomes quite handy. they went through a really rough phase where some of their upgrades really p!ssed people off (as is applicable to this thread) but if you stuck with them they worked most of the junk out and it's back to 'normal'.

This.

The other "weakness" on POA is the two names people have listed.

It picks up the lower one, where on a browser you notice the upper name. Only POA has this of the forums I read

So, I can't really track and stalk the members , and since the Avatar pictures are minuscule in size, photographic memory does not help.

I think the members who pride themselves on tracking users, following them around and "harassing" them won't find the app meets their needs.

And to circle back to this thread, if you need to block yourself from websites or from reading comments from people who once called you out for eating urine covered Cheerios, it may not meet your needs.

But, if your goal is efficiency in getting to read, it is the only way to read POA.

Ed are you trying to put epileptics into a seizure with that avatar or are you testing the POA membership for epilepsy?

The FAA wanted me to infiltrate PoA to see who has been lying on their medical. :D

Back