Would you have declared?

I had a very similar situation a few years ago when at 9000 feet over Pittsburgh my alternator failed. I didn't declare, but talked with Center that I would like to shut down electrical until Toledo (it takes along time to get down from 9000 with little kids on board) then turn everything back on, drop gear and talk to Toledo tower on battery. They calmly cleared me for that - had to descend through a couple of thin layers of IMC, but landing at Toledo was uneventful except they rolled the trucks. They told me that they used the event to call it an emergency on their own for practice.

Turned out a bird had gotten back at me - I removed a nest she was starting on top of my engine and put in towels to block her (before I had engine plugs). She must have put her little head in the hole behind the prop that feeds the cooler tube to the alternator and used her beak to chip the hose free. So glad I have a hangar again!

My old 182 slung an alternator belt right after I took off from Hattiesburg MS on my way back to Atlanta, it was clear and 20 miles miles vis. I figured out what happened, turned off the radio and master switch and flew it home. About 30 miles from FTY, I turned the master, the number one radio and transponder on and landed normally. It happens.

You have an unknown issue that could turn into a fire. Is there some disadvantage to declaring an emergency?

I would suggest they change the procedure to ask "how many people on board" instead of "how many souls". Souls has religious/death connotations....

I have declared an emergency due to engine stoppage and there was no paperwork and a very short conversation with the FAA (FSDO) and the NTSB.

When I declared mine, Reid cleared me for an immediate landing and held departing traffic. There was never ANY contact with FSDO or NTSB, and the ATC "paperwork" consisted of Ops driving by as I was tying down and asking where the flight had originated from. That's it.

You have an unknown issue that could turn into a fire. Is there some disadvantage to declaring an emergency?

If you are going to violate 91.7 and 91.13 (wreckless operation) by continuing your flight in an unairworthy plane, why would you call the FAA on the radio and tell them what you are doing?

The proper procedure would have been to declare and immediately divert. The plane would then have to be repaired or a ferry permit obtained to bring the plane back to your airport for repair. That also would have been the safest thing to do.

Last edited:
If you are going to violate 91.7 and 91.13 (wreckless operation) by continuing your flight in an unairworthy plane, why would you call the FAA on the radio and tell them what you are doing?

The proper procedure would have been to declare and immediately divert. The plane would then have to be repaired or a ferry permit obtained to bring the plane back to your airport for repair. That also would have been the safest thing to do.

Um no. Declare yes, but you do not have to divert to the nearest field. I have no idea on how to find the guidance, but the one time I declared for electrical issue, I diverted to an airport 20 minutes away since I knew they had service to fix the plane. The FAA when they called me, asked for a few details, and the guy even told which AC to look up and review.

Tim

Um no. Declare yes, but you do not have to divert to the nearest field. I have no idea on how to find the guidance, but the one time I declared for electrical issue, I diverted to an airport 20 minutes away since I knew they had service to fix the plane. The FAA when they called me, asked for a few details, and the guy even told which AC to look up and review.

Tim

There is a BIG difference between an alternator not working and smoke, even if they are both present.

20 minutes away with a burning smell is a truly awful idea.

I blame Livermore. I had a full alt and vac failure at night last year departing KLVK.
Next time - refuel at Byron. Much cheaper!

Tim

No where in my statement did I say the nearest airport. The nearest airport might not have an IAP if needed, might not have a suitable runway, might have too much cross wind, I might want fire equipment and a foamed runway depending on the emergency.

The FAA is not going to hum you up on your field choice to divert to, but when you opt fly by perfectly acceptable airports to continue to your destination or return to your home
airport, the FAA is going to have an issue if they investigate.

I would not have declared an emergency, but would have called "Pan Pan", because you are asking for a non-normal handling from ATC. I had a power supply in an Northstar GPS blow up on me in flight, fortunately only a few miles north of my home airport when I was already on my way in to land. Had a good puff of acrid smoke come out of the middle of the panel as the GPS went blank, so the cause was pretty obvious. Just in case it caused a bigger problem though, I called tower and told them I was requesting an immediate landing clearance and would be shutting off the master. Of course they gave me a "cleared to land, any runway" (there is only 06/24). Called them back once I was on the ground.

Personally, given where you were and what I know of the area, I would have landed at Concord, which has a couple good shops, and either gotten a rental car or taken BART to get back to my car or to KOAK to get my kid a flight north. A fire in the plane is the absolute last thing I want to deal with, and not knowing the source of the problem, I would have played it a bit more conservatively than you did. Just my $0.02.

I would not have declared an emergency, but would have called "Pan Pan", because you are asking for a non-normal handling from ATC. I had a power supply in an Northstar GPS blow up on me in flight, fortunately only a few miles north of my home airport when I was already on my way in to land. Had a good puff of acrid smoke come out of the middle of the panel as the GPS went blank, so the cause was pretty obvious. Just in case it caused a bigger problem though, I called tower and told them I was requesting an immediate landing clearance and would be shutting off the master. Of course they gave me a "cleared to land, any runway" (there is only 06/24). Called them back once I was on the ground.

Personally, given where you were and what I know of the area, I would have landed at Concord, which has a couple good shops, and either gotten a rental car or taken BART to get back to my car or to KOAK to get my kid a flight north. A fire in the plane is the absolute last thing I want to deal with, and not knowing the source of the problem, I would have played it a bit more conservatively than you did. Just my $0.02.

Actually, a "pan pan" IS an emergency. It's an "urgency" condition per the FAA, not a "distress" condition. Both are emergencies. It DOES allow you to break Part 91 FARs per 91.3(b) if necessary to service the emergency.

Actually, a "pan pan" IS an emergency. It's an "urgency" condition per the FAA, not a "distress" condition. Both are emergencies. It DOES allow you to break Part 91 FARs per 91.3(b) if necessary to service the emergency.

Ok. What he asked for was, in fact, a Pan-Pan condition - he asked for assistance from the ground to deviate from the regs.

I would suggest they change the procedure to ask "how many people on board" instead of "how many souls". Souls has religious/death connotations....

I used to carry dead bodies. How does that figure in the count?

And actually a dead body does not go into the number of souls onboard, but I would add in the remarks section the number of dead bodies onboard.

I quit reading at "puff of smoke." Declare
I had the same feeling. I imagine flames on my toes at 3k feet. Not a place I want to be.

I learned my lesson about declaring last year when one of my cylinders cracked in flight and I lost partial power. I had just passed under the JFK Bravo when I went to climb back up and it happened. I should have declared and headed right for JFK 3 miles away but like you not wanting to be "stranded"-even though I'd be close to home but without my car, and have the plane far away from home base, I flew (read: crawled) about 25 miles back to the home airport, and with my 12 year old daughter on board. That was stupid. But I will never let convenience, fear of delaying airliners or upsetting its pilots, or any other external factor influence my decision to get on the ground ASAP when there is a problem.

OP, glad you made it back safely.

§91.7 Civil aircraft airworthiness.
(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless it is in an airworthy condition.

(b) The pilot in command of a civil aircraft is responsible for determining whether that aircraft is in condition for safe flight. The pilot in command shall discontinue the flight when unairworthy mechanical, electrical, or structural conditions occur.

They FAA interpretation does not include flying back to your home airport to get an Alaska airlines flight.

A circuit breaker failed and that alternator was lost. Did that render the rest of the aircraft unsafe for flight? Perhaps under IMC it would have, but not under VFR conditions. OTOH, there are still planes flying with no electrical system albeit not usually in class B or C airspace. It was PIC's decision to return to his home field and that was not a long flight. He advised ATC of his intentions then communicated with them when necessary, preserving his ability to do so as much as he could. IMO, he was within his rights as PIC to do as he did. The controller was also right to declare for him and did so in case things went south.

I wouldn't have declared. I think you handled it very well.

This past Saturday I was flying the family from San Jose with a planned destination of Wenatchee, WA. We stopped first in Livermore to refuel (No way I'm paying San Jose fuel prices) and then headed off Northbound. Added to the circumstances was that my 18 year old son needed to be in Wenatchee by Sunday morning for a hockey tryout with the Wenatchee Wild.

Just past Travis AFB, my overvoltage relay tripped taking the alternator offline. Per the POH, I cycled the master in an attempt to reset the relay. Initially that appeared to work, but a few minutes later it happened again, and cycling the master did not fix the problem. The POH suggests trying to cycle the alternator breaker (Either main or field) if cycling the master didn't work, but when I pulled the main breaker a fairly significant puff of smoke came out of the breaker. Needless to say, I left it pulled. No additional smoke or evidence of electrical fire was present with the master either on or off.

So at this point, all of my electrical equipment- radios, transponder, lights, GPS, etc. - was running on battery, and the battery was fairly rapidly depleting. The low voltage warning was on immediately. I let NORCAL know what was going on and cancelled IFR so I wouldn't have to be talking to them. Turned off the master to save battery and then spent a few minutes reviewing options. If I landed in the vicinity, there would be no way to get my son to Wenatchee, and the plane would probably be stuck in an inconvenient location far from home. No more smoke or other indications of any electrical fire, and the plane was flying fine, so I made the decision to go back to San Jose and catch an Alaska Airlines flight out that evening to Wenatchee.

I turned on the master again to let NORCAL know the plan. San Jose is within the San Francisco Class B mode C veil, and I was a bit concerned about that. I let NORCAL know that I wanted to go back to SJC without a transponder, and they cleared me for that. They asked if I wanted to declare an emergency, but I didn't see the need at that time. I informed them that I was going back to SJC and that I would be without radios or transponder until reaching the Embassy Suites, VPEMB, landmark just at the edge of the KSJC Class C at which point I would turn the radios back on to talk to SJC. They cleared me for that plan, and I turned the master back off to save battery juice.

Weather was CAVU, and navigating was easy with Mt. Diablo as a clear landmark in the distance.

Just before reaching VPEMB, I used the emergency gear extension procedure to drop the gear because that procedure doesn't require electrical power like the normal procedure does. Turned on the master to confirm 3 green lights and called up San Jose to let them know the situation. They cleared me to land on 30R, I lowered the flaps to half (electrical drain) and switched off.

As we were on final, my wife pointed out that San Jose had rolled the fire trucks which were waiting next to the runway with their flashers on. Clearly, San Jose had declared an emergency for me. No problems with the landing, and I powered up the radios once clear of the runway for taxi instructions. Got the "How many souls on board?" question then.

I was even followed to my hangar by an airport ops guy who congrstulated me on a nice landing and wanted to get a few more details of what happened. That was it. He confirmed that the tower had declared on my behalf.

So, that's the situation. We were never in any danger, the plane was flying fine, and the only real issue was coming into the mode C veil without a transponder and landing at a Class C without communications. I didn't see the need to declare since NORCAL and San Jose were aware of the situation and cleared me for it. What I'm interested in is the opinion of others here. Would you have declared an emergency in the same situation? If so, why? Would you have done anything differently? Landed at the nearest airport instead of flying 30 min back to San Jose, perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same feeling. I imagine flames on my toes at 3k feet. Not a place I want to be.

Neither did my friend Jeff who lost his plane to an inflight fire want to feel that warmth. Cool heads and good airmanship prevailed that day. If you're based at FRG, you know of whom I'm speaking.

Would you have declared an emergency in the same situation? If so, why? Would you have done anything differently? Landed at the nearest airport instead of flying 30 min back to San Jose, perhaps?

Yes, read on ...

I'm not as experienced as many here, but I probably would have.

Good ...

electric failure in day VMC, meh.

Read on ...

Getting warmer ...

I had always heard the, "you have 45 minutes after alternator loss before battery runs out of juice" from several around the field years back.

Here's my story:

Night flight returning from Deming NM KDMN-KLRU-5T6 (over I-10 not cutting across the desert which is much shorter). There were a TON of forest fires in NM that year, and in the Las Cruces area I got a slight smell of smoke and attributed it to the forest fires. About 12 miles out after announcing inbound landing, my voltage light illuminates and the smell smoke is stronger. I immediately transmit "aircraft in distress" on CTAF as I'm reaching to shutdown all electrical with the master, when the panel goes dark and large amount of smoke enters the cockpit followed by a secondary large thump felt mostly through my feet. All gauges are normal except electrical. I double check for flames in the console and have the fire extinguisher ready. I don't need the hand held as back then runway lights were full time and I'm on a 6 mile base. Landed normally, but WISHED I could have declared on 121.5 or to the nearby Class C (KELP). Found out later that that transmission attempt was never heard.

Alternator separated front to back and rotated about 45* (not off it's bracket) and the pulley froze, am guessing smoke was from the belt still on the pulley. Secondary "thump" was my battery exploding. Reason I say all this, is that in that 2 second interval as I was reaching for the master and transmitting, the thought entered my head that I had 45 minutes of battery life remaining.

Last note: My Iphone light was MUCH better penetrating smoke than any of the 5 flashlights and hat lights I had on board.

Missed the smoke bit, yeah, I'd have 7700ed and landed ASAP

Electrical fires have a knack for being less than predictable.

A very interesting thread, and I thank the OP for sharing.

My original response was in agreement with the OP, however, several have made strong cases that are swaying my opinion a bit. I too have dealt with loss of my alternator, two times in fact. The first time I was VFR without flight following, and the second time was VFR with flight following. Neither time did I declare. (I didn't have a puff of smoke, though.)

The points that are causing me to shift to being in favor of declaring (in this case using "pan pan") are:
1. That puff of smoke does have the potential to turn into an actual fire.
2. It will make it easier for ATC to assist me, which is a good thing.

I also see the points of diverting to the nearest airport, however, given that there were so many airports along his route, and the situation did appear to be isolated, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have tried to get it back to home base as well. The issue of whether to declare or not aside, I think the OP should ask himself if he would have chosen to try to get back to home base if he had been alone, on a joy ride? If the answer is "no", then it was a mistake to do so this time, as although less convenient, (and possibly more expensive) you could have gotten you son to his destination from pretty much any airport in the area.

But now for the important question? How did you son do at the tryout? (Long time player and fan of the game, here.)

A circuit breaker failed and that alternator was lost. Did that render the rest of the aircraft unsafe for flight? Perhaps under IMC it would have, but not under VFR conditions. OTOH, there are still planes flying with no electrical system albeit not usually in class B or C airspace. It was PIC's decision to return to his home field and that was not a long flight. He advised ATC of his intentions then communicated with them when necessary, preserving his ability to do so as much as he could. IMO, he was within his rights as PIC to do as he did. The controller was also right to declare for him and did so in case things went south.
Yes, the aircraft is unairworthy if any of the airworthiness equipment fails in flight. It's even unairworthy if your INOP sticker falls off the autopilot you're not using (unless you replace it right away). Yes, there are aircraft with no electrical systems. If they were certificated that way, it's fine. If they weren't, it's not airworthy.

Even leaving aside the nontrivial safety issues, the regulation is about UNAIRWORTHY situations, which is not at all synonymous with unsafe. Your aircraft is unairworthy if you happen to be flying at 12:01 AM on the first day of the 13th month since your last annual.

There is no such thing as a no-electrical aircraft with a failed circuit breaker. Your analogy is fatally flawed. A no-electrical aircraft cannot cause an electrical fire.

Jim... you asked for some opinions and you got 60+ and still counting. Some good information for sure, however like most aviation related issues there are always different perspectives. I am wondering about the make of the alternator and voltage regulator that were at the root of the problem? I've been reading the AeroElectric Connection book trying to make some good decisions about my electrical system. A few more details about your incident post-mortem would be really helpful. Also, your story reinforces the value of carrying a portable comm radio. BTW, I don't remember seeing your Viking at the Bellanca Fly-In two weeks ago? Hope you make it next year!

Jim... you asked for some opinions and you got 60+ and still counting. Some good information for sure, however like most aviation related issues there are always different perspectives. I am wondering about the make of the alternator and voltage regulator that were at the root of the problem? I've been reading the AeroElectric Connection book trying to make some good decisions about my electrical system. A few more details about your incident post-mortem would be really helpful. Also, your story reinforces the value of carrying a portable comm radio. BTW, I don't remember seeing your Viking at the Bellanca Fly-In two weeks ago? Hope you make it next year!

I appreciate all of the feedback. Some good points both ways. I just finished taxiing the plane over to LAC for them to start the debug process. Had to charge the battery in order to start the engine for taxi.

Since the logs are with LAC, I don't remember the alternator and regulator make or model, but I'll let you know when it gets back.

I was planning to go to the flyin, but the plane didn't come out of annual till that Friday, and I spent all day in Santa Paula. Tough annual this year. The #5 cylinder needed replacing, and the hydraulic reservoir was cracked also and needed replacing. Getting a new reservoir took a lot of effort.

A very interesting thread, and I thank the OP for sharing.

My original response was in agreement with the OP, however, several have made strong cases that are swaying my opinion a bit. I too have dealt with loss of my alternator, two times in fact. The first time I was VFR without flight following, and the second time was VFR with flight following. Neither time did I declare. (I didn't have a puff of smoke, though.)

The points that are causing me to shift to being in favor of declaring (in this case using "pan pan") are:
1. That puff of smoke does have the potential to turn into an actual fire.
2. It will make it easier for ATC to assist me, which is a good thing.

I also see the points of diverting to the nearest airport, however, given that there were so many airports along his route, and the situation did appear to be isolated, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have tried to get it back to home base as well. The issue of whether to declare or not aside, I think the OP should ask himself if he would have chosen to try to get back to home base if he had been alone, on a joy ride? If the answer is "no", then it was a mistake to do so this time, as although less convenient, (and possibly more expensive) you could have gotten you son to his destination from pretty much any airport in the area.

But now for the important question? How did you son do at the tryout? (Long time player and fan of the game, here.)

Didn't make the team. There were 3 openings for wingers and 28 wingers in the tryouts. Not great odds. He's got a committted position on a team in New England, though, so it's all good. The Washington team would have been more convenient, however.

Enjoy.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2015/january/pilot/1501p_counsel

I once noticed a burning smell while I was transitioning Edwards Air Force Base's restricted area. Rather than land at the Air Force base, I made a 180 and landed at the GA airport that I had most recently passed. Then I rented a car and drove home. Since it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I got stuck in the worst highway traffic jams I have ever experienced! :eek:

U dun good, based on outcome. Transponders use a lot of power, and are pretty much useless for your immediate needs. Maybe shed all the load, except one comm. Tell 'em where you are, and where you're going, and ATC can get 'em out of the way. Then save the battery unless you need more comms. Unless the situation changes, no reason to be talking and squawking once ATC kniws what you're about.

I used to carry dead bodies. How does that figure in the count?

And actually a dead body does not go into the number of souls onboard, but I would add in the remarks section the number of dead bodies onboard.
I don't know of any exact wording in "rules" about this but there is a good reason to include dead bodies. If there are 4 bodies in the plane and you say 3 souls on board you don't want them finding the other 3 and then saying "we found everyone" and quit looking. Relying on it being in the remarks may not save you when things are happening fast. I think the term "souls on board" is there for a good reason and it is meant to include souls on their way to wherever it is souls go.

§91.7 Civil aircraft airworthiness.
(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft unless it is in an airworthy condition.

(b) The pilot in command of a civil aircraft is responsible for determining whether that aircraft is in condition for safe flight. The pilot in command shall discontinue the flight when unairworthy mechanical, electrical, or structural conditions occur.

They FAA interpretation does not include flying back to your home airport to get an Alaska airlines flight.

Surprised it took someone so long to quote the regs!!!!

Always someone trying to educate us on the regs.

No. That's exactly the way I would have handled it.

Nice decision making imo.

It's solid state and also only a year old. Something clearly was wrong with the breaker; it shouldn't have smoked. Possibly the rotating short issue is also back in the new alternator? It's a puzzle.

There may have been nothing wrong with the breaker. If it was passing a lot of current at the time you pulled it, it's not too odd for it to arc over when doing so.

I'm going off of you saying it was the "main breaker". I assume we're talking your alternator output 50A or so, breaker here.

I don't like pulling high amperage rated breakers until I've gotten rid of as much load downstream of them as possible. They're likely to arc. And this old crud isn't built well internally. That arc can do bad things to your happy newer avionics.

Also many of these breakers in airplanes are old tech, besides being just plain old, and not rated to be switches. Pulling them as a way to kill a load is something they're not well designed for.

Depends on the breaker style internally and how they did the guts for the thermal disconnect. (They're really thermal devices, not really amperage based. Rating them by amperage has a pretty broad range of current flow at which they'll disconnect depending on ambient temps.)

There's more than one way the alternator could have failed in that mode besides a rotating short.

Yup. I'm quite curious as to the failure mode.

Personally I'm in this camp. I know electronics and if something arced and smokes, there's a lot that could be going on. And in flight fire is not a good thing to mess with.

But the call in this case was a judgement call and you managed it fine. I'm not a fan of continuing for any significant length of time after a smoke event of any sort, but some do it. Yours came out okay, but I'd say "land as soon as possible" for electrical stuff shorting out or arcing.

I'll save the letting the magic smoke out of electronics for my home workbench, TYVM. Not the airplane. Haha. And I have. Quite a bit over many years, experimenting with stuff. It sucks when you forget to turn on the current limiting function of your bench supply and you kinda designed your circuit wrong... LOL. Just the way it goes in hobby electronics!

I'd replace that breaker by the way. It likely won't meet its proper specs after having been through an internal arc event. It probably has internal burn crud on the contacts.

This article is pretty good at explaining the usual failure modes of the two types of charging systems usually found on light aircraft.

http://ronkilber.tripod.com/alternat/alternat.htm

There may have been nothing wrong with the breaker. If it was passing a lot of current at the time you pulled it, it's not too odd for it to arc over when doing so.

I'm going off of you saying it was the "main breaker". I assume we're talking your alternator output 50A or so, breaker here.

I don't like pulling high amperage rated breakers until I've gotten rid of as much load downstream of them as possible. They're likely to arc. And this old crud isn't built well internally. That arc can do bad things to your happy newer avionics.

Would you turn the master off before pulling the circuit breaker? Would that might prevent the arcing/failing due to load?

Would you turn the master off before pulling the circuit breaker? Would that might prevent the arcing/failing due to load?

Well... In this particular case, you said the voltage regulator had tripped the alternator out of the circuit. Then you pulled the breaker for the alternator and it smoked. I'm not quite sure where the current was coming from to even go through that breaker if the alternator wasn't online. (e.g. Your alternator relay has dumped the field current.)

That's why I'm curious what the failure mode was.

Flying a 210 years ago, had the starter SOL engage inflight, just after take off and cleaning the A/C for cruise clime. Didn't know what it was at the time, but heard this horrible intermittent distortion over the radio, couldn't figure it out. Voltage meter started doing a dance, then smelled something electrical... killed Master (both), and began emergency landing procedures. Pumped gear down, no flaps, and used handheld to call position back to the uncontrolled field we took off from. Approach control held off an inbound commuter, so I guess either they were monitoring UNICOM, or someone on the ground called FS. Wife was just staring at me the whole time not saying a word... landed normally, taxied back to tie downs and shut it down (pulled the mixture), only for the starter to engage again before I was able to turn the key switch off. Never saw any smoke, but after smelling something hot I couldn't get it on the ground fast enough. Looking back, great learning experience for me, and confidence builder for my wife to continue to fly with me through the years.

I turned on the master again to let NORCAL know the plan. San Jose is within the San Francisco Class B mode C veil, and I was a bit concerned about that. I let NORCAL know that I wanted to go back to SJC without a transponder, and they cleared me for that. They asked if I wanted to declare an emergency, but I didn't see the need at that time. I informed them that I was going back to SJC and that I would be without radios or transponder until reaching the Embassy Suites, VPEMB, landmark just at the edge of the KSJC Class C at which point I would turn the radios back on to talk to SJC. They cleared me for that plan, and I turned
Because I'm unfamiliar with the area, I went and looked at the map. From Travis to SJC would take you through the SFO B on an unknown route at unknown altitude (NORDO and no Mode C), and into the SJC with possibly no ability to turn your radio and transponder back on when you got there, and the possibility of an escalating situation on board. I'd assume that to allow that, ATC would have to clear out a whole block of airspace along your potential route, along with runways at SJC.

I'm naive to the ways of IFR, flying in congested airspace, and Bs and Cs, so I'm genuinely curious if ATC would accommodate such a request if they didn't consider it an emergency.

Would you have declared an emergency in the same situation? If so, why? Would you have done anything differently? Landed at the nearest airport instead of flying 30 min back to San Jose, perhaps?

Since there was no smoke or evidence of fire I most likely would not have declared an emergency. Me, I would most likely have landed at the at the nearest airport, If for no other reason to comfort the passenger's.

I had a similar situation years ago when the transponder let out all the smoke. Filled the cabin with smoke, secured master and alternator, made a 180 and headed back to home field. I was about 20 miles out. Upon entering the class D I turned on the master, explained what had happened to the tower. They asked if I wanted to declare an emergency, I said not at this time. I was cleared to land and made a normal landing.

Pulled the transponder and put it in the bed of my truck. Boy the transponder really did stink like a fried circuit board.

Jim, you got down safely, and a lot is being learned in this thread. Thanks for sharing. It does seem like there was a bit of get-there-itis in play with the hockey tryouts. In the absence of a factor like that, I probably would have declared and diverted to Concord, with the smoke being the biggest factor in that decision. Concord is not very far from Travis, offering an opportunity to descend and troubleshoot. There's several runway choices, emergency equipment, maintenance facilities, and relatively painless transportation to other places within the bay (including OAK or SFO). Plus: there's a Jimmy John's right across the street from the airport. Hope LAC's able to get it sorted out for you!

Back