Would this 1978 Cessna 152 be IFR legal?

AndrewX

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Avionics:
KING KMA20 AUDIO PANEL with MARKERS
KING KX155 NAV/COM/VOR/LOC/GS
MX385A NAV/COM/VOR/LOC/GS
RT359A TRANSPONDER with ENCODER
AVIONICS MASTER
INTERCOM SYSTEM
Other:
ROSEN VISORS
WINGLETS
REMOTE ELT SWITCHING
HOBBS
EGT GAUGE
DUAL GLIDE SLOPES
GROSS WEIGHT 1670..MT WEIGHT 1173
YOKE PTT's

Yes, once all the required inspections have been completed and logged.

Bummer, no ADF...

Unless I missed it, you're going to at least want DME if you plan to train in it.

With the Rosen visors and EGT gauge that thing will be unstoppable, especially with a working Hobbs meter. ;)

The additional max gross of a 152 over a 150 (70#) is often eaten up with miscellaneous junk. However, less unusable fuel in a 152, which means a little more margin for reserve. I like to land with a full hour reserve. In my 150 that’s a total of 9.5 conservative gallons, since 3.5 is unusable and I plan for 6 gph reserve, even though I’ve never once burned that much per hour. Very affordable to own, maintain, insure and operate, especially for an owner that is training in their own airplane.

Avionics:
AVIONICS MASTER
INTERCOM SYSTEM
Other:
ROSEN VISORS
WINGLETS
REMOTE ELT SWITCHING
HOBBS
EGT GAUGE
DUAL GLIDE SLOPES
YOKE PTT's

Are you actually going to try to go somewhere with it?

Legal is Radio suitable for navigation. (And comms). So if you navigate by VOR, the plane is legal and has a backup. I'm assuming that's what you're asking. Of course you have to have all the ATOMATOFLAMES and GRABCARDD stuff.

Pitot static and transponder check completed, VOR check in the last 30 days then yes.

I don't see in OP's post where it says those inspections have been completed?

Yes, that plane could be IFR legal with the pitot/static, transponder, and VOR checks. Yes, DME would be nice but so would GPS with a glass panel. This sounds like almost the same setup we have in our Arrow and I'm just finishing my IFR now without any problems. When I plan a cross country I do have to make sure the intended airport has an approach that I can fly with my limited radios but so far I haven't seen where this will be an issue yet. I'm sure thee day will come when you have to have GPS to file IFR but we're not there yet.

Go for it and good luck!!!

If that's the criteria then you would have the same answer for 99% of the 152 fleet. Since whether the inspections are complete or not is like the key factor which make an airplane IFR legal or not, I'm not sure what the point of answering yes is. So there is not enough information to answer OP's question.

Winglets on a 152. Cool. Next it will be Sharklets on a Cherokee. And yes, that panel is IFR capable.

Avionics:
AVIONICS MASTER
INTERCOM SYSTEM
Other:
ROSEN VISORS
WINGLETS
REMOTE ELT SWITCHING
HOBBS
EGT GAUGE
DUAL GLIDE SLOPES
YOKE PTT's

If that's the criteria then you would have the same answer for 99% of the 152 fleet. Since whether the inspections are complete or not is like the key factor which make an airplane IFR legal or not, I'm not sure what the point of answering yes is. So there is not enough information to answer OP's question.
Sure I guess one assumes most 152's would have the GRABCARD items and TOMATOFLAMES items. Given his avionics yes it is legal for IFR providing his inspections are completed and he has the GRABCARD items. SO....I would agree with you that there is not enough info to answer his question. But also this is not a NORDO J3 so I bet he has the other equipment required, though I could be way wrong.

Uhh, whut? WTF is flaming tomatoes and grabbing cards?
Did your CFI use this?
maxresdefault.jpg

Sure I guess one assumes most 152's would have the GRABCARD items and TOMATOFLAMES items.

There's that burning berries nonsense again.

No idea what the items are. I'm sure it's in a table in the regulation...

Look it up its nothing new..sheesh

I've never been an acronym guy. I study until I remember it all.

CIA (Fundamentals Of Instrument Flight) On the test, yo...
GRABCARD (IFR Minimum Equipment)
N-DRUMS (Mandatory Reports To ATC)
AVE-F (Lost Comms: Route Clearance)
MEA (Lost Comms: Altitude Clearance)
ICE FLAGGS (Illusions In Flight) GRAMLAF-KITO (Military Version)
GAARF (Landing Illusions)
CRAFT (Clearances) <-- I particularly dislike this one.
MARTHA (Approach Briefing)
PM CADAVER (Another Approach Briefing) Who thinks this crap up?
GRINCH- GPS (No Idea)
PILOTFATS (Ewwwww)
CAMAFOOT (No Idea, either)
CCCCCCC (Really?)
PAIN MOM (Sick bastidges)
PAVE (Like a road?)
IMSAFE (Gibberish)
CARE (I don't)
FADD (Aren't they all?)

What's Goose The Cat?

I've never been an acronym guy. I study until I remember it all.

CIA (Fundamentals Of Instrument Flight) On the test, yo...
GRABCARD (IFR Minimum Equipment)
N-DRUMS (Mandatory Reports To ATC)
AVE-F (Lost Comms: Route Clearance)
MEA (Lost Comms: Altitude Clearance)
ICE FLAGGS (Illusions In Flight) GRAMLAF-KITO (Military Version)
GAARF (Landing Illusions)
CRAFT (Clearances) <-- I particularly dislike this one.
MARTHA (Approach Briefing)
PM CADAVER (Another Approach Briefing) Who thinks this crap up?
GRINCH- GPS (No Idea)
PILOTFATS (Ewwwww)
CAMAFOOT (No Idea, either)
CCCCCCC (Really?)
PAIN MOM (Sick bastidges)
PAVE (Like a road?)
IMSAFE (Gibberish)
CARE (I don't)
FADD (Aren't they all?)

What's Goose The Cat?
CAMAFOOT sounds like a nasty STD...oh crap another acronym! ugh hahaha

I was in the military and the mil is famous for its acronyms!

Avionics:
AVIONICS MASTER
INTERCOM SYSTEM
Other:
ROSEN VISORS
WINGLETS
REMOTE ELT SWITCHING
HOBBS
EGT GAUGE
DUAL GLIDE SLOPES
YOKE PTT's
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...a09ebf7a&mc=true&node=se14.2.91_1205&rgn=div8
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...a09ebf7a&mc=true&node=se14.2.91_1411&rgn=div8
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...a09ebf7a&mc=true&node=se14.2.91_1413&rgn=div8

What about a clock installed?

Unless I missed it, you're going to at least want DME if you plan to train in it.

Anymore in my area a DME or IFR GPS is required to take the Instrument Practical test. I don’t think we have any approach’s with 100 miles of us (except one NDB approach) that doesn’t require distance information.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

First thing to check is the weight limits, as every DPE has checked our W/B before launch, and the 150 that I did my PPL in had to have an hour of fuel burned to get to legal with the examiner whom I used. He was familiar with the plane, and knew just how many hours needed to be in my log flying to the exam to make us legal at my weight.

My IR was years ago, when ADF was more useful, but my plane did not have one, and the examiner did not ask for any ADF procedures, and I passed. Talk to your expected examiner to see if he will require more equipment than you have. They use some judgement in deciding what they are going to require.

If memory serves, I believe that he gave me a thorough quiz on proper ADF technique, and since I had studied well, and had used ADF in other planes, he was satisfied that I had the necessary skills.

Last time I looked, the ILS at North Bend, OR (OTH) required ADF for the missed approach unless you have an IFR GPS to substitute.

Even with the reduced cost and weight of modern avionics and availability of good used airplanes with decent panels, the cost of flying IFR must be keeping airplanes on the ground.

Forcing GA airplanes to have IFR GPS, DME and to a lesser degree, ADF and ADS-B, makes compliance with the needed equipment nearly impossible if you include the cost of installation.

Another good reason to consider E-AB when airplane shopping....

Last time I looked, the ILS at North Bend, OR (OTH) required ADF for the missed approach unless you have an IFR GPS to substitute.
Ewwwwww. Although there is an alternate missed.

http://www.chartbundle.com/qc/KOTH_ILS.10

I guess I know at least one place my instructor is going to take me when I go up to get Instrument Current again.

A few years ago I traded my 172 with 1 non-waas GPS/COM, 1 NAV/COM/GS, & a DME for a 177 with only the original Cessna NAV/COM’s & ADF, and an in-op Narco DME.

I found pretty quickly when planning long XC flights that it was much more difficult to find airports and alternates at my destination and along my route for fuel stops that didn’t require GPS or DME for some part of the approach. Even if the approach itself didn’t require GPS or DME then the missed approach often did.

You can do a lot with dual VOR’s, especially for training and if you’re relatively certain you’ll get a visual approach at your destination, but even a simple non-wass GPS can open up many more options for approaches.

Back