Would really like to hear your weather experiences

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
For me as a beginner I see this forum as a real wealth of experience from many pilots.
I, and probably many others like me, could really get valuable...and let's face it, very interesting, info from hearing your stories.

I'm thinking like microbursts, wind shear, down and updrafts, or weather closing in and what you did, and how it worked out. It doesn't have to have a dramatic turn, just very insterested in "so I'm flying along and suddenly..." and what you did to correct or survive it.

I already know that many people disagree here on even what I thought were basics, but really if it happened and you survived (if you didn't I guess you won't be posting here) you did something right.

In reading about weather, they make it sound like this can happen anytime and not necessarily get a warning or ominous signs that one overlooked.

I'm curios about all of it. Flying and weather closes in suddenly, and even turning back is not a great option, or suddenly a downdraft, etc.

Whatever you have!

Coming back late from PVD to FRG had some unforecast fog. It was a beautiful night with calm winds. I was doing my night VFR cross country flying with my dad when we came up towards the coast of Long Island there was a nice, thin layer all over. Checked the ATIS at FRG and it was solid IFR and just our luck, the ILS was OTS and we were flying a /U 172 so no option for an RNAV approach. We got the weather for ISP and shot the ILS and ended up taking a cab back to FRG where our car was. It was a pretty neat experience and pretty cool seeing those approach lights right when we broke out. Other than that, I haven't really had much weather problems other than the usual icing and dodging thunderstorms.

Flying up the CA coast, from SF to Arcata about a week ago. Forecast showed 2500-3500 ceilings along the coast, and 5,000 at destination. Wind was almost non-existent. About half an hour from Arcata, the AWOS told of 2000 ceiling, so we decided to duck under the layer while we could. Got pushed down to 1,000, then 700, over the Pacific. Then, wham, solid fog to the water and we were in IMC. I suddenly imagined other pilots watching one of those crash investigation videos saying "what a dumbass!" The first thing that went through my head was what I did NOT want to happen. Don't fly into the water, don't fly into the land, and don't stall. I started a 500fpm climb. I didn't want to turn right, because the coast was to my right and I wasn't sure of the elevation. (And I didn't want to break out the map and check.) So, I started a climbing, half standard rate turn to the left, away from the coast line. Came about 180 and continued climbing. Got out of IMC and continued back the way I had come for 5 minutes until I found another hole in the layer. Then we circled our way up to VFR on top and turned back around north. Came up with Seattle center and learned from a plane that had just taken off that Arcata was clear to the west, right up to the edge of the airport. So we made it in. It was my first experience in IMC, and I was happy that I didn't panic and just flew the plane, calm and steady. Now, I'm prepping for my instrument rating.

On my very first XC trip with my family of four in a C-172L, we departed later in the day than I wanted due to my oldest son's football practice running late. We were headed from West Texas to Fredericksburg, TX for the weekend. I knew we'd arrive just after dark, which I was comfy with. However, flying just north of Junction, TX, we could see a single T-storm between us and Fred-burg, and it was almost dark. Also, the winds were picking up all around. I decided to land at Junction and wait it out. Once on the ground, I could tell the family wasn't very interested in continuing to Fred-burg, so we got a room at a neat little Junction hotel. Got up early the next morning and made the relatively short flight to Fred-burg. We were all safe and happy.

Although we could've made it after the storm had passed, I learned to value the mood of my passengers and not to press things. By arriving early the next morning, we really didn't lose any time.

Flew through some heavy rain at night one time. I probably wont do that again.
I was just looking straight down out my window making sure I didn't lose the view of the ground.

Flying my plane from Florida to California pre IFR rating on day one there was a storm pushing into the panhandle of Florida so we diverted north to try and get above it before heading west...we were somewhere over Georgia and the storm beat us. It was closing in all around us. Luckily the area we were in was literally dotted with GA fields so I got to a point where I always kept a visual on a field...sure enough I was flying is circles hitting IMC in every direction so we landed at a random county airport. They offered us the crew car, pointed us to the best BBQ place and we waited for the weather to pass. Two hour later we were back in the air. Lesson for that day was never get yourself into an situation where you do not have an out.

Day two we stopped for gas somewhere in the middle of nowhere New Mexico...decide to make it a lunch stop as well. During that time Isolated thunderstorms started to close in...Radar on Foreflight was looking bleak. We were hoping to make it further west and there were no hotels or services where we stopped. Radar and all the weather information gave us a hole to make a 20 mile flight north where there was a at least hotel that we could stay at...so we decide to make a run for it. Once we got in the air and actually saw with our eyes what the weather was doing and compared it to what we were seeing on ADS-B weather radar...I remember saying "Oh, THAT is all it is?". We kept flying and made it all the way to Las Vegas that day in comfortable VMC. That was a valuable lesson for me that with all the available information at our fingertips these days your eyes are sometimes the most important tool in go/no go decisions.

Last edited:
Exactly what Shawn said. I was never going up unless the forecasts were golden. Then one day I launched even though the forecast at the destination looked like the ceiling was going to be too low to get in. (However, I had enough gas to go there and back.) That overcast ceiling turned out to be scattered at best. That has happened on more than one occasion. So I started flying as long as it says MVFR at the destination, but with fuel to return, just in case. Here in CA, that seems to get me there 90% of the time. And I've come to realize that a lot of the weather that I was afraid to fly in is fairly easy to navigate around or through, with a little planning.

Micro/local weather event - winds were pretty high, and gusty, but straight down the runway at my departure airport; I was ferrying an aircraft for some minor maintenance, about 30 miles north, where the terrain was a bit higher.

90 degree x-wind on arrival, and I ran out of rudder, even with a pretty good crab angle. Decided I'd met my limitations, and started the go; the ride was fairly violent, head hitting the ceiling and side window, flailing a bit, etc. . .

A few seconds into the go, the nose started up; I put in some correction, to no effect, so I kept pushing, but it kept coming up; I hit the stops on the yoke, and it occurred to me I had full nose down elevator, just 3-400 feet up. . .

I'd let the airplane drift far right of the runway, and the only thing I did right was anticipate the pitch change that was coming - the nose stopped going up, stablized for a moment, and I was already coming off the stops when the pitch down began. Otherwise, the 172 would have been converted to an earth mover.

Hind sight, looking at the wind direction, and the hills on the up-wind side of the runway, the "wave" made sense. Climbed out, did a couple 360s to lower my voice, and air filed to get back home. Landing at home was a non-event.

Hitting the stops on the elevator is freaky. . .

Here's a story I posted on Supercub.org 13 years ago. I finished and sold the -12 in the story. Still have the 180. Now building a Backcountry Cub.

A couple of years ago, a good friend and I loaded my 180 with 10 days of hunting-camp supplies and headed for Alaska. We live in Anchorage, but Alaska really starts on the west side of the Alaska Range. It was a bluebird day, and we decided to fly Rainy Pass just for the views. Well, the day was perfect, the air smooth and uncrowded, and we figured this was the start of a great hunt. At our destination we had a couple of hunting-guide friends that have a base camp in a valley who would drop us out to a secret spot more appropriate for Cubs.
Rainy Pass is a fairly narrow cut through the mountains that is a shorter route than following the primary pass, which connects one wide valley to another. It saves about 30-40 minutes, and isn't a big deal on a good day. When we got to the entrance, it was apparent it wasn't a good day in there. From our side we could see low clouds, so off to Hell's Gate...the long way. Still clear, we rounded the corner to the the N. Fork of the Kuskokwim River. The view here is of a mile-wide valley sloping gently down away from you, with a nice gravel-bedded river below. Unfortunately, this is where the clouds started. At this point we were at about 4500', and so were the clouds. No problem as the valley floor is only about 3000'. Dropping below, we could still see the down-sloping of the valley, but also equal down-sloping of the clouds. There's a little emergency strip about halfway out of the mountains called Rohn. By that time, the clouds were about 1000' AGL. At the exit of the valley to the flats, at Farewell Lake, the clouds are 500' AGL and it's raining. I decide to poke into it a ways, keeping Farewell in sight behind us. Now the terrain is transitional between mountains on the left, and gently rolling flats on the right. Because of the cloud deck, we went more right than normal, now flying over spruce forests at about 100' above the trees, less than 100' below the clouds, and in heavy rain. I tell my buddy to watch our tree clearance, so I can concentrate on cloud clearance. Farewell disappears in the distance behind us. All we need to do is cross the Windy River and the terrain will flatten out to where we can find the Big River. These rivers become your best friends because you can follow them, and if the clouds drop to the ground, they offer gravel bars to get down. The minutes flying towards the Windy, further vectering away from higher ground, go very slowly. Heavy rain, 1/2 mile visibility, occasionally rising terrain that leaves you in about a 75' slot between clouds and trees. But now, the sky grows brighter in the distance. Although the visibility is bad, I know where I am, and Farewell remains stable according to a pilot on the ground there. Keep going, carefully.
Finally, we approach some low bluffs that are indicative of the Windy. We shuck and jive a little to find a passage over the bluffs. The Windy, and her gravel bars, are a welcome sight. Not much further to the Big. We slog along a few minutes longer, and as expected, the Big appears. This river has more gravel bars than water, so all we have to do is turn left, fly up valley, and find the base camp. We make the turn, sky still low, slow the plane down even more, expecting to not be able to go much further up the valley. We round a bend, and the sky goes from soup to broken layers, with filtered sunshine. We're 10 miles from camp, the weather's improving, and we made it!
We land, unload and sort our gear, reload and jump into a couple of Supercubs to head to the "spot." We fly from good weather back into bad, and for about an hour try to find an alley back out onto the flats. No luck. Back to base camp.
A bottle of whiskey (or two) and some storytelling in camp, and off to bed. I'm awakened by F-15's and their supersonic booms, (we're in a MOA) and perfect, clear skies. Back into the Cubs and an easy trip out, followed by a good hunt, and a great (and clear) flight back home.

The Moral of the Story:

At this point I owned a PA-12 project that I intended to work on "someday." After what was truly a white-knuckle ride through the weather in my 180, the equal ride back into it in a Cub was an experience I couldn't anticipate. Bopping along, fairly slow in a Cub, staying near the river bars, with 31" tires, felt so safe I was at total ease, when a hour before I was totally stressed. I related this story to my wife upon returning home, and started the 12 rebuild right then. I choose to live in a big and sometimes hostile land. I like to get away from people and the city. Although I love my 180 and don't intend to ever sell it, the addition of this 12 will allow me my escape, and will get me to more areas more safely. I'm not concerned that a Cub can get off shorter. The 12 can get off short enough. My flight in the weather wasn't something I'd characterize as wreckless or stupid. I'm neither. It was for many minutes below minimums, but at those moments turning back wasn't a safer or better alternative. Most of my fellow Alaskan pilots will have similar stories, and trust me, this isn't my only story, either. And yes, I got a Brown Bear.

Wow...these are all great stories. Exactly what I was hoping for. I wouldn't presume to second guess anyone here, and I find it equally interesting when people mention afterwards what they learned, if anything was to learn from the experience. I get the idea that pilots almost always blame themselves "should have known better" but also in reality weather is unpredictable, and seems to me a good decision one day could in hindsight be a bad decision on the exact same type of weather on another day.

All great and helpful for a newbie like me. I liked very much hearing Sundancer with the microburst, and what you felt you did wrong (I couldn't see anything wrong) but more, what you did right in anticipating the nose drop, and even more so when you mention at the end with hind sight you might have seen conditions differently. It's like pilots try to see everything, but obviously that is the goal, but pretty much impossible.

Also several great stories here about the weather closing in, ceiling getting lower and lower. Seems like that is not such an uncommon one. I could really imagine Rykymus flying along the coast with it deteriorating and others that had the chance and were able to land just before, etc.

Literally every post here has made me really think about how these kinds of situations can develop, and help me think about what one does, and how one can react.

Also great insights that sometimes the weather on paper sounds terrible, and in reality is fine. I'm guessing it goes the other way too.

Please keep 'me coming. This is incredibly helpful! Thanks all!

Yeah, it is real east to talk and learn about thinks like weather, destiny altitude, and other hazardous situations...but learning about them and experiencing them are two different worlds.

I surf and when I was first leaning a buddy took me in conditions that were a bit over my head....literally. I got stuck in the break and almost pounded into the rocky cliffs...first time I was ever truly scared and recognized the gravity of my situation. It is easy to say stay away from heavy surf and cliff edges, but you don't really understand what that means till you experience the power of the waves. Same in aviation.

Yeah, it is real east to talk and learn about thinks like weather, destiny altitude, and other hazardous situations...but learning about them and experiencing them are two different worlds.

I surf and when I was first leaning a buddy took me in conditions that were a bit over my head....literally. I got stuck in the break and almost pounded into the rocky cliffs...first time I was ever truly scared and recognized the gravity of my situation. It is easy to say stay away from heavy surf and cliff edges, but you don't really understand what that means till you experience the power of the waves. Same in aviation.

Of course they're different, but that doesn't mean it doesn't help to hear those stories. I know personally from my father hanging out at the airport with other pilots that they did swap experiences, I think it has always been that way. Your example, and the others get the idea in my head of things to pay attention to.

Sun dancers sticks in my mind vividly with the yoke pushed all the way and not having effect that he flashed on anticipating the pitch change. The way it was written put an imprint somewhere, made an impression. I'm not saying I'll remember that ten years from now if I found myself in a similar situation, but then again, it might. I may never get in any or most of these situations, and will have my own experiences, it helps me to find pointers to solutions I might need some day.

I appreciate all the stories here.

This story is from the mid 80's, back when I was flying charter with Aztecs and a Cessna 401.
We had a trip out west from the Minneapolis MN area to Yuma AZ to deliver some cargo. Normally we would leave about 10pm and fly all night so we would get to the Yuma proving grounds at Laguna first thing in the morning. Because of the nature of the cargo, we had two pilots on board. I don't remember how many crates we had, but we loaded maybe 2 up front in the nose compartment and the rest in the cabin. The crates were about 10" by 10" and 3' long.
Our first fuel stop was either North Platt or McCook NE, and I think our second stop was supposed to be Albuquerque. After TO we ran into lots of areas of thunderstorms and lightning all along our route towards the Rockys.
Something we didn't think about until we were in the air was the radar. Our cargo was explosives, and we had 2 crates just behind the radar dish and it's associated electronics. We both thought it might be better to NOT turn the radar on, the thought of blowing ourselves up made us very nervous.
To pick our way west towards Denver, we looked up and saw jet traffic heading to and leaving from Denver and followed that path, keeping us away from most of the worst storms. We did that all the way to Denver, and then south to Pueblo CO and stopped there. By then, the storms were well behind us and it was pretty uneventful the rest of the way to Yuma.

"Whatcha checkin' weather fer? Yore goin' anyway"..........is what I learned on my first commercial flying job, flying checks in a tired C-210 that was barely legal to fly VFR much less IFR.

I have tried my best to forget that time in my flying career.

"Whatcha checkin' weather fer? Yore goin' anyway"..........is what I learned on my first commercial flying job, flying checks in a tired C-210 that was barely legal to fly VFR much less IFR.

I have tried my best to forget that time in my flying career.
But it's true. I'm not suggesting to not check weather, but indeed you are going regardless. Possibly, It's delayed, but you ARE going.

By being young and stupid, I learned what my personal VFR minimums were. And I can tell you that the legal 1 mile visibility is a little too rich for me. And the below legal minima's certainly were.. Today, much lower than 3 mile vis and 1000ft ceilings and I'm staying on the ground or filing IFR. At the same time, low vis and low ceiling experience is very good to have as it teaches you what's actually flyable.

Last edited:
Clear of the clouds is doable, and if you are in Class G, legal. I can fly right up to a cloud, just don't go in it. If I start to go in it, go down! It is the low visibility where things get difficult. 1 mile visibility is scary low visibility. And no where nearby is any better, usually. Except turn around and go back and land at the airport. Even 3 miles is uncomfortable for me. I need 5 to be comfortable, and even that I worry. Cant see if its worse ahead of me!

If you can, go up next time they report 3 mile visibility and do a few laps around the field to get a "feel" for it. It's pretty eye opening how low the vis can be and still be legal. I don't know how those guys up in Alaska who fly 1 mile all the time do it. They have bigger gonads than I have!

Yes and they have a lot higher accident rate up in Alaska. So those big gonads, as usual, get you in trouble. Sometimes they get away with it, true.

Mostly situations where the weather at my destination deterated while in flight. When flying into somewhere along the coast the forecast can be for clear skies and while enroute it drops to low-IFR if a layer rolls in off the water. Having an IFR rating really helps here although in that scenario things can drop below Cat I minimums really quick too. Thankfully the impact tends to be quite localized so heading inland a bit usually finds much clearer skies.

Over time one gets to know the quirks of local weather a bit more and get a feel for setups that can turn bad real quick, but there's always surprises too. The key is just to stay calm, have plenty of fuel onboard (I never leave for a X-country without full tanks) and make sure you always have a plan B that you can execute if things don't work out at your destination.

Hearing others' stories is really useful to learning. It's either that or explore boundaries yourself and that can be unhealthy.
A few I recall:
-I have done the exact same thing at Junction Tx at night (including RON, probably at the same motel on the bluff) as ETres but not due to TS, rather a loss in T/DP spread at night and the expected fog. Giving credit on that one to FSS briefer. Also arrived next day safe, happy.
- last winter, did an rnav approach in a blizzard, never saw a hint of the ground just blowing whiteness (did the ils without problems, 15 miles away in cold rain).
-safe landings, or various aborted attempts to enter the Angel Fire valley (KAXX) with their typical gnarly crosswinds & downdrafts. Plus other west Tx 'wind experiences' in which the runway was in a side window (I am not exaggerating) while tracking the centerline on approach.
-NM and wTx dust storms making it imc to >10K. Mexican fires doing the same.
-hours & hours of storm dodging, seems like a footnote now but it's so regular in the summer you accept it as part of the process. Left, now right, ask ATC what they are seeing, is this going to work? Don't recall needing to turn back but have landed and waited for things to move or settle down at least twice. Including an overnight (at the hometown of Louisiana Hotsauce)
-flew over an area of active tornadoes. (sounds dramatic but really not, if you go high enough you can be safely away from them.
-left the hold approaching Hobby, atc said it is clear now. Did the ils in and out of cloud, touched down and entered a rainshower so heavy it was slow taxiing to find the exit. Landed also different time/place; approach end of rwy was severe clear, far end was imc.
Maybe I will recall some canadjan winter weather flying experiences later.

Last edited:
The weather is only part of the story here, but it's instructive nonetheless:

About 20 years ago I had just earned my instrument rating and a buddy and I decided to take a rented Socata Trinidad down from Palo Alto to Santa Barbara to play some golf for the weekend.

We departed after work on Friday, about 6pm. It was summer so it was still bright daylight.

Flew in sunny, beautiful VFR conditions until crossing the mountains north of Santa Barbara, at which point we could see that Santa Barbara was socked in with coastal stratus. Good conditions for an ILS, though, with ceilings about 1,000' and tops about 3,000', so I elected to shoot the ILS.

Began my first attempt just as the sun was setting. Settled into the clouds and the instruments became hard to see. Cranked the instrument and panel lights all the way up but it only helped a little. This was my first IMC experience in the Trinidad, and I was cursing the airplane for not having brighter lighting.

The further down we went, the darker it got, until I could barely see the instruments at all. I went missed and tried again. The second attempt was even worse because it had gotten even darker outside. I went missed again and diverted to Paso Robles, which was VFR.

Arrived at Paso Robles after dark. Clicked the runway lights to max intensity and landed normally, even though the runway lights appeared to be kind of dim.

As I removed my headset I realized that my sunglasses were still on.

On a trip from Tucson to Rockport TX we (my plane, me PIC with a friend of mine who is a CFII in the right seat) encountered a solid cloud layer 4000' feet below us. Thinking that it couldn't be that big we pressed on to our first fuel stop at Fort Stockton. Over El Paso, we checked foreflight and it had Fort Stockton and our secondary Marfa, both IFR. So we went East towards Winkler County. Over El Paso my bladder told me that I'd better land soon. It was still over an hour to Winkler Country and we were STILL over the cloud deck. We had flight following with Albuquerque Center and told them that we had to descend as we were getting low on gas. The controller told us that the only traffic was 15 miles ahead of us and was descending into the same airport. We hit the solid cloud layer at 7000' and descended through a solid deck and popped out at 4000'.

By this time I was wondering if I could reach the vent window and let fly outside...it would get all over the side but I had to GO. Still had about 15 minutes of flight left and I was in agony. I told my buddy to take it and I was looking for something...anything to pee in. About the time I was going to pee in my flight bag the runway came into view. He announced and the radio sounded funny but we heard no other traffic. He landed the plane, got off on the taxiway and shut it down. I got out and had the longest pee in my life. The fuel pump was about a quarter mile away so we got back in to taxi to the pump. Click. Battery was dead. We broke out the tow bar and pulled the plane the quarter mile to the pump. Fueled it up, checked it over and found nothing wrong. We decided that we'd lost the alternator at some point so we decided to hook it up to a charger, and call my mechanic who suggested that we charge it up and find someplace we could fly that would have an alternator. This was January 2nd of this year. I finally found a guy in Midland who would come out and look at it if we could fly it there. With a charged battery, she started right up and we took off for midland with the master switch off only turning it on to talk to ATC at Midland. Turns out it was a loose field wire to the alternator (one of MANY things that I've found on this airplane that the previous owner and mechanic failed to address)

We pressed on to Rockport but had to land at Hondo because of weather between us and our destination. We waited it out until fore flight turned from red and yellow to light green and we took off again flying in light rain. The clouds started to come down as well as the temperature and now we were worried about icing. We must have flown right below the clouds and right above freezing for what seemed like hours. At one point we smelled smoke but it wasn't electrical, it was the smoke from people's fireplaces at we flew over a small community. Every few minutes we would grab the flashlight and shine it out on the wings to look for icing. We never got any. What was supposed to have been a 6-7 hour trip turned into 12 but we finally made it.

Lessons learned: 1. bring something to pee in. 2. Have alternates to the alternates to the alternate airport.

So the other day started out with 2600 , half way there went to 1300 over with 6 miles. On approach,tower reported with a special,1300 and 3 ,going down . On arrival special went to 750 overcast with 1 3/4 with mist,gotta love it shot the approach ,the picker factor was way up there.

the worst I've encountered is VFR into almost IMC, and icing. If you read my thread on "flying in rain" that will show you the worst I've seen yet, rain and visibility wise in a photo. In December of last year I was planning a rescue flight, for a single senior dog saved from euthanization. The VFR flight would have me depart KDYL, land at Hagerstown, Maryland, then up to Joe Zerby in PA, then back to my base. The trip to MD was uneventful, and I knew some possible light precip would be moving in, so after landing we didn't waste any time meeting up and getting ready for departure.

Before leaving Hagerstown, light drizzle/rain began to fall, as a warm front was moving up from the south. As I climbed out and headed NE, I was stuck at 2500' due to the cloud base above me, in light precip. I could see the horizon and knew I'd be able to get to my intended cruising altitude of 5500' once I cleared the system that had just moved in; the problem is that the cold front I had flown through on the way to MD was still there, just in front of me. Within minutes the rain on my windshield froze, and I collected ice on the wings. I was caught in an inversion layer; the pucker factor was HIGH as I tried to figure out what to do...turn back? land and wait it out? I couldn't climb because of cloud bases and I couldn't descend because of terrain. I looked over at my doggie copilot, and thought about what to do. Carb heat, ON. Windshield defrosters, ON. Cabin heat, ON. Pitot heat ON.

As I sat there for a few moments, wondering if I'd become the subject of an AOPA safety video, I noticed the icing was not getting worse - basically what had been on the aircraft froze in place with only minor accumulation. It took a few moments for the pitot tube to clear as I immediately noticed airspeed go up as I climbed and retard if I would descend. I could see a hole in the base on the horizon, and I was inching slowly towards it.

A few moments later and I was there, I initiated a gentle climb, and as I rose above 4000' the ice melted away and the airplane dried off quickly. The rest of the trip was uneventful, as I out flew the warm front to my destination and then home. Every flight, everytime I encounter something new, I learn from it. Attached is a shot of what the windshield looked like right after hitting the ice.

IMG_0860 (2).png

If you can, go up next time they report 3 mile visibility and do a few laps around the field to get a "feel" for it. It's pretty eye opening how low the vis can be and still be legal. I don't know how those guys up in Alaska who fly 1 mile all the time do it. They have bigger gonads than I have!

Now we have web cams to check weather at destinations plus moving map GPS and ADS-B in the planes, not like when I started up here years ago when we just went to see what the weather really was. I still use pilotage a lot to get around and through the mountains but with the web cams there are no surprises.

So the other day started out with 2600 , half way there went to 1300 over with 6 miles. On approach,tower reported with a special,1300 and 3 ,going down . On arrival special went to 750 overcast with 1 3/4 with mist,gotta love it shot the approach ,the picker factor was way up there.
7 ovc and 1 3/4, and the pucker factor was high?

This is a great thread... Keep em coming! As a student pilot I am mentally filing these away...

This is a great thread... Keep em coming! As a student pilot I am mentally filing these away...

Me too. Pretty much all of them have something to teach us students.

I'm also rereading them a few times and filing away in possible scenarios and reactions.

As someone who flies part 135 in Alaska, I can tell you the visibility is never below 2 miles and the ceiling is never lower than 500 ft. Unless I'm on the ground. :D :)

Keep in mind that the response will vary with experience.

As a student pilot, IMC = bad, all the time. Visibility under 5 miles is concerning (not necessarily dangerous, and definitely legal).

As an instrument rated pilot, IMC can be bad, but that depends on what's going on. Severe turbulence, thunderstorms, or ice (in a non-rated airplane) are all bad. But summer marine layer (for example) is fine. So are light showers and modest cumulus clouds. Accidental IMC is bad for an instrument rated pilot as well, but most of us will operate on a clearance if there is any possibility of IMC, especially at night.

I can add a bit to this from my first Cross Country training flight last weekend. The trip from KLAA to Denver was pretty easy from a weather standpoint... not so easy for my very first time in controlled airspace, but that is another story. Our short stop in Denver turned into a much longer delay due a mag issue, but we eventually got out of there. And that is when the issues started.

The delay had put us into the afternoon instead of our planned morning departure, and if you know Denver at this time of year then you know after thunderstorms are the norm. The plan was to hit Colorado Springs before heading back to KLAA, but based on Wx reports and our own judgement we had already 90% planned for going directly back to KLAA. Denver Departure made that 100% when they reported a massive thunderstorm between Denver and Colorado Springs, and warned about multiple storms out on the Eastern Plains. As we approached the edge of the Bravo to the SE we could see an array of small storms spread out before us. We spent the next hour doing some weaving along our general path to fit around and between a few of the storms. The biggest concern was having the gap we were shooting between a few of the storms close up before we could get through them, but Mother Nature helped us out. An hour later we passed the last storm to continue the smooth sailing back to home.

Here are a few things I learned that day. 1) My training locally at KLAA did not prepare me at all for Brave Airspaces. I was totally overwhelmed, and my original assumption that this would be easy was put to bed very quickly. 2) Always be prepared for something to go wrong. If my CFI did not just happen to have the local number of one of her students from back in 1982 who is now an A&P, who generously offered to be late to a party and work on his day off to help us out, we would have been spending the night in Denver. 3) I knew weather in Colorado can change on a dime, but seeing one hour turn a easy flight into a white knuckle experience (for me, not for my CFI) was an eye opener.

So the day was a bit more of a learning experience than I had thought when asking for my CC to be to a specific airport, but overall it was a great day with an incredible amount of useful knowledge packed in. And to get back to the original point, weather can make even the simplest flight turn into a challenge.

Here's mine, from over on the red board:

I was coming home from Boca Raton in May last year, which is pretty much the start of the crappy summer weather season in FL. Pop up thunderstorms, etc are rampant from then pretty much into October.

Anyways, I had my son with me and we took off from KBCT around 5 PM after spending the day with my aunt and uncle. Weather looked to be "ok" but there was a chance of thunderstorms (as always).

I kept moving northwest towards Sarasota avoiding the storms that were bubbling up in the southeast and behind me. I noticed some rather large cumulus in front of me and called ATC who said there was a line of storms from Lakeland all the way to Naples with a small opening in front of me. (Image attached, blue is the "opening" ATC advised me about.) It was bigger about 5 minutes prior to the image I attached, but then closed rapidly.

I started heading towards the opening and in doing so I'm passing over X14 (Labelle). Thinking in my mind, man if I can get THROUGH that opening the storms will pass east and I can hug the coast and get home on time. But it looked bad. I told them I was diverting to X14.

We waited there for about 2 1/2 hours for the storms to pass by. Meanwhile I'm thinking I gotta get home tonight, get my son in bed, etc..

Finally around 9 PM it was clear enough and we departed X14 and headed back to KSRQ when MOST of the storm had blown by.

Get-there-itis was strong with me that day. I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd pressed my luck. Looking back at the radar while on the ground at X14 I saw specs of white and purple in the images, made me VERY happy to be on the ground watching that go by.

Attachments

• weather.JPG
    weather.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 22
Great stories, keep 'em coming.

Here's what I posted some time ago (but can't find the link anyway).
When I was still an instrument student, I went with my buddy on a burger dinner run after dark. Winter night in TX so nothing special. METARS were matching the forecast of OVC030.
Preflighting the plane, I had to wipe a lot of evening dew from the windshield and had hard time keeping it off. That should have been clue #1.
We first planned to make a short hop for fuel, on the way to the burger. The destination town slowly disappeared from view. Clue #2. We found ourselves in a cloud in a few seconds. Standard rate left turn 180 degrees got us out of the cloud. My buddy commented how calm I was and thus so was he.
We scrapped the burger hop because I realized that the forecast was not exactly coming true. There was another field nearby with cheap fuel so we headed for that one. Tower cleared us to land from an 8-mile final. Nobody else flying that night. Should have been clue #3.
On a 4-mile final, rwy disappeared. I inquired with the tower and was told "the field just went IFR, OVC004". Final clue #4 which I took. I replied back "cancel landing clearance, we are turning left due south, we're outta here" and we booked it home before our field got socked in.
Back in my mind I knew that our field was near a warm city and no body of water whereas those two airports had water nearby which likely caused these unforecast layers to form. But my heart rate was still a little elevated. I was considering options and had a plan B, C and D as backup which kept me calmer. We landed at home with no problem and drove to get a regular "Earthwalker" burger nearby.
Lessons learned:
1. Forecast is not guaranteed!
2. Pay attention to small clues, especially if they start to mount.
3. Have backup plans well before you launch.

For me as a beginner I see this forum as a real wealth of experience from many pilots. I, and probably many others like me, could really get valuable...and let's face it, very interesting, info from hearing your stories.

Some of these stories will have a little "extra salt" after the fact and may be Texas tall tales soon ... and the remainder won't tell you they were crying like little girls, or making promises to live life for the better:D

I'm thinking like microbursts, wind shear, down and updrafts, or weather closing in and what you did, and how it worked out. It doesn't have to have a dramatic turn, just very insterested in "so I'm flying along and suddenly..." and what you did to correct or survive it.

1. Try to get some time around thermals if you're still a student.
2. Don't fly through virga, especially in west Texas. Some will say "if you can see through it, you can fly through it" and you may get away with it a few times. Sometimes that virga is the start of the huge torrential downpour accumulating above you pushing, a large amount of air and you're nearing microburst potential. And yes, I was the idiot that flew under one, after never having problems in the past:eek:
3. Don't 100% trust forecasts and weather briefings through FSS. My worst flights were after promises of CAVU and calm winds from FSS.
a. Night flight calm winds flying for night currency. Visibility drops to 3 miles due to 50 MPH+ winds after flight was in progress, couldn't land home field and had to spend the night elsewhere.
b. Promised VFR conditions all areas on flight path Austin-El Paso last fall. Turned into 2500 AGL ground fog below me for a couple hours
c. Too many west Texas long XC rodeo rides due to high winds
4. Use ATC and FF. Had a trip on July 4th several years ago El Paso to Fullerton California. FSS brief was VFR entire route with a few scattered areas of light rain (remember rule #3?). I was the only aircraft on FF below 18000 from El Paso to Arizona and was in light rain and MVFR and landed near Marana AZ due to a huge system ahead encompassing all of Phoenix and everything north of I-10 to the Califoria border. Refueled, got airborne and same ATC guy I had all morning asked intentions. I told him I guess fly as far as possible and call it a day (which wasn't much farther). He offered clearance through all the restricted airspace to Yuma AZ instead which resulted in light rain and perfect visibility. Nearing Yuma I was able to fly north, get back on track and cross at Banning Pass as normal. As soon as I got the above clearance, I heard at least 5 AC not on FF ask for FF along that same route.

As per the bold area above ... if you're in a downdraft, speed through it (don't try to hold altitude) and at worst it'll release you at about 500AGL ... a microburst will not release you (review airspeed changes and microbursts, which is why I don't trust virga anymore). My worst rotor mountain wave upset was a little past 90* bank angle ... I was a week away from flight review and found a CFI that would do acro in his Pitts for upset training, spins, etc.

Here's another. I had been at the cabin for a few days and needed to get to the office. The weather was very low, very wet, and very windy. I left wife and daughter at the cabin and took a miserable boat ride to the plane. The area is difficult to judge ceiling because we're surrounded by tall trees. I sat and contemplated how high the ceiling was for several minutes and then heard a Beaver flying in the area. I got on the radio and asked for a pirep. The response was a polite 1000 and 3 from just a couple of miles away. That's what I needed so I started up and launched. About 10' above the treetops I entered solid cloud and had zero visibility. Keep in mind this is on departure from a short and narrow strip that's surrounded by trees and it was in rough air. I was taken totally off guard. In the seconds that followed I struggled to make sense of what was happening until I recognized I was full throttle, flat pitch, and in a gentle descending left turn. That had me impacting somewhere close to my own back yard. I clearly remember telling myself this wasn't a good day to die and gathered myself to fly the plane. Slow it down, use the GPS to steer away from any obstacles (mountains), keep it level, and find out what the weather is doing in Anchorage. The airport was open so I steered toward it. In about 3-4-5 minutes I broke out into better visibility. The whole event was more tense than the story can convey. Not long after that day I ran into the FSDO safety program manager, an old friend, one of my early instructors, and the guy who gave me my checkrides. I was honest in telling him the story. He looked right at me and asked me what I had expected that 135 Beaver pilot to say? Admit that he was flying illegally? He reported the only thing he could say over a very public frequency and I took it as literal. That was an eye opening comment. I never ask for weather pireps anymore and dismiss the ones I overhear. That was the scariest flight of my life. Not because I couldn't handle it but because I was so unprepared for it that handling it took time, and there wasn't much of it to borrow.

... and asked me what I had expected that 135 Beaver pilot to say? Admit that he was flying illegally?
That reminds me of a few times when I am IFR & IMC (in class E airspace) and get issued a traffic advisory for somebody in my vicinity while I am pretty darn sure that they cannot be clear of clouds, let alone 500 below or 1000 above. I don't want to exactly out them but for the safety of my own flight, I report something as simple as "negative contact, I am in IMC". Similar with VFR FF, I get a traffic advisory while a few hundred feet under OVC or BKN. I hear the other pilot 500' above me report that he has me in sight. Stuff happens. *shrug*

That reminds me of a few times when I am IFR & IMC (in class E airspace) and get issued a traffic advisory for somebody in my vicinity while I am pretty darn sure that they cannot be clear of clouds, let alone 500 below or 1000 above. I don't want to exactly out them but for the safety of my own flight, I report something as simple as "negative contact, I am in IMC". Similar with VFR FF, I get a traffic advisory while a few hundred feet under OVC or BKN. I hear the other pilot 500' above me report that he has me in sight. Stuff happens. *shrug*
I wouldn't have any qualms about "outing" someone doing that, he's putting your life in danger and that of everyone else in the area who is legally IFR. But I'd do it exactly the way you did. If the IMC is widespread and thick, you can bet ATC knows the score on that other traffic from your pirep, or maybe they already did.

Not that they will be able to bust them, 99 times out of 100... but you did your part.

One more then.

Returning from a nice weekend at the beach, I knew there was precipitation around our destination and moving fast.
Watching the XM weather radar, it looked like even though there were some gaps we could "squeeze" through, they might close up fast on us.
I diverted to an airport that we just overflew. Wife wasn't happy, she was hungry and wanted to get home soon. Fortunately the airport office had some snacks and water so we waited out the heavy rain and continued on our way about an hour later. Wife eventually understood. She knows now what "get-home-itis" is and likes my PIC authority that I exercised, although against her wishes at that time. She understands that it is better to wait a little than to get into a very bad situation.

Lesson learned/confirmed: a good decision might not make everybody happy but it needs to be made anyway.

Back