Would really like to hear your weather experiences

Microburst took a 172 I and a CFI were flying all the way to the ground at roughly 1000 fpm down with full power and pitch attitude for Vx.

Luckily there was a runway ahead.

Then we were dumb enough to go do it again.

Would not like to repeat it. Twice was enough.

I wouldn't have any qualms about "outing" someone doing that, he's putting your life in danger and that of everyone else in the area who is legally IFR. But I'd do it exactly the way you did. If the IMC is widespread and thick, you can bet ATC knows the score on that other traffic from your pirep, or maybe they already did.

Not that they will be able to bust them, 99 times out of 100... but you did your part.

Keep in mind that if he's miles away from you laterally, you don't really know he's in IMC. There can be some pretty sharp edges, even in stable air.

Microburst took a 172 I and a CFI were flying all the way to the ground at roughly 1000 fpm down with full power and pitch attitude for Vx.

Luckily there was a runway ahead.

Then we were dumb enough to go do it again.

Would not like to repeat it. Twice was enough.
Had something similar happen practising touch-n-goes at KBJC as a solo student. Base-to-final turn and the bottom dropped out. Fullish power and pitch for Vy and I was still going down. Thought I'd be in the grass short of the runway but recovered without hitting. Tower asked me if that was some sort of training maneuver. I say fullish power because that was one worn out 172...

Like any pilot that has flown more than a few long cross-countries, I've got some weather stories. Keep your eyes out and your brain functioning. See some disturbance in the clouds above you or below you? Likely some rough air. Be very aware when downwind of mountains when winds aloft are high - it can be clear air stuff that tosses you ass over teakettle. Other folks have mentioned virga, it doesn't have to be true virga, just a diminishing rain shaft that indicates evaporation. And of course freezing rain is a monster to be avoided - a storm of mixed snow and rain will likely have freezing rain. Freezing fog is bad too. Just because the local puddle jumper just came and went doesn't mean that fog isn't freezing (who cares about the funny looks the FBO guys are giving you for not departing).

And the final bit of wisdom for this post, if you're scud running lower than the ducks make sure it's class G and desolate, undeveloped countryside such as the UP.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have any qualms about "outing" someone doing that, he's putting your life in danger and that of everyone else in the area who is legally IFR. But I'd do it exactly the way you did. If the IMC is widespread and thick, you can bet ATC knows the score on that other traffic from your pirep, or maybe they already did.

Not that they will be able to bust them, 99 times out of 100... but you did your part.

Around here, the controllers generally seem to know if someone is bending the rules or not and will ask what kind of weather conditions the pilot is in. I've always taken that as a subtle hint that the controller knows they're not legal. Every response I've ever heard was something like "I'm just under the overcast" or "I'm on top." Personally, I wouldn't bother telling on someone that you don't know without 100% certainty isn't legal.

Around here, the controllers generally seem to know if someone is bending the rules or not and will ask what kind of weather conditions the pilot is in. I've always taken that as a subtle hint that the controller knows they're not legal. Every response I've ever heard was something like "I'm just under the overcast" or "I'm on top." Personally, I wouldn't bother telling on someone that you don't know without 100% certainty isn't legal.
Agreed, but there are times when you *can* be 100% certain. Sounded like this might have been one of those times.

Had something similar happen practising touch-n-goes at KBJC as a solo student. Base-to-final turn and the bottom dropped out. Fullish power and pitch for Vy and I was still going down. Thought I'd be in the grass short of the runway but recovered without hitting. Tower asked me if that was some sort of training maneuver. I say fullish power because that was one worn out 172...

Like any pilot that has flown more than a few long cross-countries, I've got some weather stories. Keep your eyes out and your brain functioning. See some disturbance in the clouds above you or below you? Likely some rough air. Be very aware when downwind of mountains when winds aloft are high - it can be clear air stuff that tosses you ass over teakettle. Other folks have mentioned virga, it doesn't have to be true virga, just a diminishing rain shaft that indicates evaporation. And of course freezing rain is a monster to be avoided - a storm of mixed snow and rain will likely have freezing rain. Freezing fog is bad too. Just because the local puddle jumper just came and went doesn't mean that fog isn't freezing (who cares about the funny looks the FBO guys are giving you for not departing).

And the final bit of wisdom for this post, if you're scud running lower than the ducks make sure it's class G and desolate, undeveloped countryside such as the UP.

Since getting into the meteorology section of my ground school, I'm finding it tough, but just because I know I don't KNOW much of anything. I'm only on my third flight (tomorrow afternoon) and decided to ask a little more before, during and after about the weather we see on flight days. Here in Norway in summer it is always volatile quickly changing weather, and a lot of what is written in FAA books may be different here because the sun in summer is "out" until late at night so I'm guessing the uneven heating and cooling of patches may mean more turbulence until later in the day, though not sure. On the way into Oslo on the train the other day was looking at some interesting cloud formations. Trying to figure out what they would mean for flying. Guessing but then thought to take a few photos from my phone and ask my instructor next time.

That's the good thing about weather (and phone cameras) is that finally something I can study when not actually flying. I've turned into a weather watcher !

That's the good thing about weather (and phone cameras) is that finally something I can study when not actually flying. I've turned into a weather watcher !

You're doing the right thing. Weather is still very much an art as it is a science. Keep watching the sky and you can also play lots of theoretical games too... like look at all the weather then decide if you would go on a flight... then follow-up by seeing what actually happened with the weather. Stay curious and you will do well.

In the US a good "sky watcher" will see signs of developing convective activity long before stuff shows up on radar or the NWS issues convective SIGMETS.

IMG_20150818_124443438.jpg

1000' AGL 3 Miles VIS on the way to work at Rushmore helipad

IMG_20150818_145143237.jpg

200 ' AGL 1/2 Mile VIS legal class G helicopter trying to get back to main base.

I wouldn't do stuff in an airplane I would do in a helicopter.

The second picture was little sketchy but local knowledge it opens up on the other side of the ridge and it did. Also, helicopter plus road below was my out.

To echo something read earlier about trying to out run a system in Georgia, after hopping helo rides all day on Saturday at Charlie Brown, I needed to get my wife back home in Destin Sunday. Woke up checked out the weather and saw the usual New Orleans to Atlanta squall line, however today it didn't start in 'Nawlins but mid Mississippi. Figured, just run straight south towards Tallahassee and cut over and run around the system. Well, yea got down by Albany and could see all the way out to the Gulf, to save the boss a few bucks on the ferry I started cutting over SW towards Defuniak. Long story short 1 mile north of 54J I was lambasted by a torrential downpour, windows fogged up and I was hovering tree top to tree top with no outs below me. I've never been more scared. I will never try to out run a storm again.

Grounded, had to get a hotel, go to the airport in the day and look at the weather computer and press my nose against the glass. Hope it will clear tomorrow. Such grounding happens 1 out of 10 flights for 1 or 2 days. Better than dying trying to make it through.

During my flight training for my PPL, one of my cross-country flight was from KSGJ to KGNV. I usually plan to fly at 4500 but once I got up the ceiling was probably around 3000. So the flight was completed at 2500 and times at 2200 with flight following. No bad weather as such but clouds built up. So be prepared for change in ceiling levels even if you just checked the weather. Flight-following is your friend :).

Back