Worst Beer Thread

The worst I remember was in Germany (of all places). The billboards said, "Was trinken wir? Shulteis Bier!" That stuff had a terrible aftertaste. That was in 1971. I haven't seen it advertised in Germany since. Good for the Germans.

Stella isn't Belgian beer, anymore than what's its name is Australian. You won't find Stella in Belgium and you won't find that other stuff in Australia. Stickley for export.

3157ab64-92d8-4956-9e16-07705cf3095d-jpeg.67956

That's a bunch of bull!

The worst I remember was in Germany (of all places). The billboards said, "Was trinken wir? Shulteis Bier!" That stuff had a terrible aftertaste. That was in 1971. I haven't seen it advertised in Germany since. Good for the Germans.

Oh they still exist. It's just that most breweries are local with only few national brands. Many of the local breweries sell through their captive bars (there is a system of pre-paid discounts and operating capital loans that locks bars and restaurants into long-term beverage contracts). So unless you happen to walk into a neighborhood bar in what used to be West Berlin, you are unlikely to encounter Schultheiss.

This is what happens to you when you are weened on Coors Light.

Black Label is an acquired taste, sort of like an Islay single malt. ;)

Ah, Coors. Back in the day they didn't sell it east of the Mississippi. So this friend of mine said he was going to go on a "Coors run" and asked if I'd like to go along for the ride. I said sure! We drove from NC to Omaha (he never once put the moves on me, never. He was like my gay male friends only not gay that I could tell. He never dated any women. Or men. Not sure what his thing was, he was very good looking and not nerdy or shy at all. He could have had any woman. As far as I could tell he was asexual.) but anyhoo we came back with a trunk full of Coors. It wasn't light though.

We bought this crap for $5/case in 1983 (yes, we were under aged and STILL got it for $5/case)

It was awful. They had to be burning cold to get the first few in. But, hey, we were 18 and needed scrimp)

51m0dV%2Bfl8L.jpg

I'm not much of a beer drinker (though for a good German beer I do make a few exceptions. But my wife and I refer to this (Black Label) as "cooking beer". We used to make beer bread and beer muffins. And this was the beer of choice because it was cheap. And in the bread it didn't matter.

Anything with the words Samuel and Adams on it.

I fell for the hype and bought one once. I had better tasting used motor oil in my mouth before.

Fortunately, I don't drink beer anymore.

My favorite beer is Sam Adams Oktoberfest, I think they make a number of good beers. But of course, everyone's taste is different. I can't deal with those super hoppy ales that so many of the craft breweries make, but there's lots of folks who think they're wonderful.

I can't deal with whiskey or whisky, either. Tastes like shoe polish to me.

Ah, Coors. Back in the day they didn't sell it east of the Mississippi. So this friend of mine said he was going to go on a "Coors run" and asked if I'd like to go along for the ride. I said sure! We drove from NC to Omaha (he never once put the moves on me, never. He was like my gay male friends only not gay that I could tell. He never dated any women. Or men. Not sure what his thing was, he was very good looking and not nerdy or shy at all. He could have had any woman. As far as I could tell he was asexual.) but anyhoo we came back with a trunk full of Coors. It wasn't light though.

The man had his priorities. ;)

Ah, the memories.....cruising in my Opel GT (1.1 l so couldn’t get out of its own way), drinking Stroh’s Beer - the “fire brewed beer” - drank more than three one would have a fire brewed a—————— the next morning.

Old-German-Beer-Bottles-Paper-Label-Eastern-Brewing-Corporation_56834-1.jpg

My grandpa used to drink this swill, it was super cheap. Brewed by Pittsburgh Brewing Company, so think of it as budget Iron City......yuk!

bruh you gonna get booted

I can't tell if you're relating that with regret or relief? :)

When I was in Basic Training (we used muskets to bring down small dinosaurs for dinner), the 123 club served pitchers of Schlitz. I always thought the place smelled like puke because of guys puking. Then I drank (as was our custom at the time) from a Schlitz pitcher. It was the beer that smelled so foul.

These days the prize for "worst beer" goes to whatever swill my son has in his Yeti. Natty Light, Busch Light, whatever... I'll stick to water, thanks. It may have been beer at one time, but that was at least one owner back... if you catch my drift.

Hulls Export. Brewed in New Haven, CT. That should say it all! It's best attribute: Cheap!

You won't find Stella in Belgium

I was in Belgium in 1966, and they did have Stella. I couldn't believe that they had such weak tasting beer in Europe. But it too was cheap. When they began to import it to the USA I couldn't believe that people bought the story that it was good beer and also bought the beer more than once! :loco:

-Skip

I have maybe one a year, so I'm no expert. I drank more between the ages of 18-21 than I have all years combine since then.

I have no idea if they still make it, but back then there was a beer called Milwaukee's Best. Absolutely, by far, the best-tasting beer of all time. And the cheapest. The only down side was the smell of the gas you'd pass for the next two days.

I was in Belgium in 1966, and they did have Stella. I couldn't believe that they had such weak tasting beer in Europe. But it too was cheap. When they began to import it to the USA I couldn't believe that people bought the story that it was good beer and also bought the beer more than once! :loco:

Belgian Busch Light! :rofl:

I have no idea if they still make it, but back then there was a beer called Milwaukee's Best. Absolutely, by far, the best-tasting beer of all time. And the cheapest. The only down side was the smell of the gas you'd pass for the next two days.

Milwaukee's Beast! :rofl:

Yeah, they still make it. I think. They even had a commercial during football games about 15-20 years ago - They zoomed in on a small refrigerator as a narrator talked about a bunch of experts tasting 300 beers and deciding that there was one clear winner, and the door opens to reveal a can of Milwaukee's Beast. After all my fraternity brothers and I stopped rolling on the floor laughing, we decided we knew which one of those beers the "experts" tasted LAST! :rofl: Never liked the stuff, myself, but there are certainly a lot of worse beers out there.

Those IPA beers all the millennial kids are raving about

What? Drinking IPAs are the one thing that millennials have gotten right. They are about all I’ve drank in the past several years. Love them.

Yeah, most of them taste like biting into a pine tree.

So Euell Gibbons was on to something then? :D

These days the prize for "worst beer" goes to whatever swill my son has in his Yeti. Natty Light, Busch Light, whatever... I'll stick to water, thanks. It may have been beer at one time, but that was at least one owner back... if you catch my drift.

Light beer is for people who don't like the taste of beer, but still want to have to pee a lot.

Hulls Export. Brewed in New Haven, CT. That should say it all! It's best attribute: Cheap!

And by "brewed" they really mean "pumped directly out of the Connecticut River."

Light beer: like having sex in a boat,.................

This stuff.

11336.jpg

I bought a six pack when I was a starving student since it was like under $2 for a whole six pack. It was the foulest, nastiest stuff I've ever drank and I've drank some pretty bad ones. I could not finish the can, I threw out the rest and had a massive headache for the next two days.

I used to drink Michelob Ultra, but decided at some point it wasn't really worth it to drink bad beer. Now the Aussies have a couple of beers with the same carb and alcohol specs: Pure Blonde (not bad) and Hahn's Super Dry (better.)

I tried MGD 64 (64 calories a bottle) once. 12x64 = 768 calories later I had no buzz.

I don't get the point of light beer. If beer affects your carb balance, you probably should just drink less of it and spend more time in the gym than the bar.

I drink it less often. But, when I'm drinking beer, I'm drinking beer, you know. A twelve pack is about right.

Korea, 1978, there was OB and some other brand I can't remember. We used to joke that OB was invented by a woman gynecologist. Nasty stuff both. OB is still around but much improved I believe. The other one I think is gone.
I live in craft beer heaven so I don't really have to give much thought to bad beer.

Back