Wooden props

if that's what you want to call it .... iirc (which was a long time ago), it's an ALQ pod.

if that's what you want to call it .... iirc (which was a long time ago), it's an ALQ pod.

What that? I was just guessing. We had ones that would pop out the side and run a generator if we lost AC electric, but this was on CRJs.

upload_2016-12-7_9-8-46.png

Last edited:
ah yes ... but I think the Intruder/Prowlers had a RAT (Ram Air Turbine) ... the pod hanging off the port outboard pylon is an ALQ-xx pod (again, really old memory, and I was not in a Prowler squadron) and had a self-contained generator prop on the front.

ah yes ... but I think the Intruder/Prowlers had a RAT (Ram Air Turbine) ... the pod hanging off the port outboard pylon is an ALQ-xx pod (again, really old memory, and I was not in a Prowler squadron) and had a self-contained generator prop on the front.
I was, (VAQ 129,135,and 131), and the RAT was next to the fuselage on the upper wing root. but I can't remember which side :(

I was, (VAQ 129,135,and 131), and the RAT was next to the fuselage on the upper wing root. but I can't remember which side :(
The PODS had their own Electrical supply mounted in the nose of the pod's hard back.

So, now you get nit picky rather than admit you screwed up.

Evelyn Wood has a couple on line courses that you you need to take.

Pot - please don't call Kettle black

The PODS had their own Electrical supply mounted in the nose of the pod's hard back.
EA-6B-ICAP-II-Prowler-VMAQ-1-CKopp-4S.jpg

Pot - please don't call Kettle black
I catch a poster talking about things he has admitted knowing nothing about, and you say this, laughable

I catch a poster talking about things he has admitted knowing nothing about, and you say this, laughable
I could give you some documentation and factory information on installing wooden propellers but I don't think it will do much good.

I will just keep poking fun when I get the chance.

Port shoulder. So counting the RAT, two visible ALQ-99's and the ALQ-99 that's probably on the centerline in the photo, there are 4 props, none of which provide thrust. ;)
And since you're a Navy guy, albeit a west-coast guy, surely when you said AB you were referring to Carrier Air Wing 1.

Nauga,
deflected

I never installed a wood propeller, only metal constant speed, and they go on two ways - position 1, or 180 degrees from position 1.
That being said, Sensenich Wood Propeller has in their installation instructions to put the No. 1 cylinder at TDC, and then install the prop so that the blades are at 10 and 4 o'clock. Here's a link to their instructions.
http://www.sensenich.com/files/docu...ons_Wood_Aircraft_Installation_1452800693.pdf

Port shoulder. So counting the RAT, two visible ALQ-99's and the ALQ-99 that's probably on the centerline in the photo, there are 4 props, none of which provide thrust. ;)
And since you're a Navy guy, albeit a west-coast guy, surely when you said AB you were referring to Carrier Air Wing 1.

Nauga,
deflected
Flew out of Miramar, with AJ on the tail :) (for one cruise, anyway)

I never installed a wood propeller, only metal constant speed, and they go on two ways - position 1, or 180 degrees from position 1.
That being said, Sensenich Wood Propeller has in their installation instructions to put the No. 1 cylinder at TDC, and then install the prop so that the blades are at 10 and 4 o'clock. Here's a link to their instructions.
http://www.sensenich.com/files/docu...ons_Wood_Aircraft_Installation_1452800693.pdf
Those are all certified props being mounted on certified aircraft. now lets talk 0-200 pushing (not tractor)with a Ted Hendricks prop that weighs 7 pounds.

OBTW my Fairchild with the Warner 165 had no such instructions in the prop owners manual. The Warner manual had instructions for the Metal prop, that simply said mount with the blades 90 degree to the master rod.

Nauga,
deflected
The EA6B had no props. with 5 pods loaded (very seldom) there would be 6 Ram Air Turbines, aboard, we almost always ran three tanks an 2 pods.

And since you're a Navy guy, albeit a west-coast guy, surely when you said AB you were referring to Carrier Air Wing 1. Nauga,deflected
Nope that only came up after the thread was hi-jacked.

The EA6B had no props. with 5 pods loaded (very seldom) there would be 6 Ram Air Turbines, aboard, we almost always ran three tanks an 2 pods.

Why so many RATs, all the electronic gear onboard?

I would clock the prop in the OP, to facilitate ease of starting by the armstrong technique. Or, mabe clock it so that it would stop horizontal every time, (that way I don't have to move it after shutdown, "one less thing")

Why so many RATs, all the electronic gear onboard?
yes, the pods rats were 25KVA generators they ran only what was mounted in the pod.

Attachments

• IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 7
I would clock the prop in the OP, to facilitate ease of starting by the armstrong technique. Or, mabe clock it so that it would stop horizontal every time, (that way I don't have to move it after shutdown, "one less thing")
that will be the plan.

It is a wooden propeller on an aircraft engine. Seems to make sense to me.
Sensenich doesn't make props for E-AB aircraft unless you used a prop that is also use on Certified aircraft, and there is none that I know of.
SO.. their instructions do not apply

Sensenich doesn't make props for E-AB aircraft unless you used a prop that is also use on Certified aircraft, and there is none that I know of.
SO.. their instructions do not apply
So using instructions for certified aircraft is a bad idea for experimentals? Missed that one. Probably should not maintain that O-200 using the manufacturer's instructions either since it is on an experimental airplane.

So using instructions for certified aircraft is a bad idea for experimentals? Missed that one. Probably should not maintain that O-200 using the manufacturer's instructions either since it is on an experimental airplane.

Actually we don't, because it has electronic ignition, Light speed 9 to 1 ratio pistons and SDS fuel injection.
OEM maintenance instructions should be considered when they apply.

Then do what you want. It's experimental. Experiment.

That's not what Flight Deck control calls them when you want an elevator run to get one to the roof.

Yes, yes there are.
And they are the ones who would never suspect a question is asked because some wants the answer. rather than the attack on the OP.

If it is a four cylinder (seems likely) then I would suggest clocking it for TDC at about 90 degrees to the horizon. I don't like hand propping an engine when the mags click when the prop is vertical .

I have no more guidance than that other than to look at the engine maintenance manual or possibly the TDCS.
@Tom-D
How was this first post I put on here attacking you?

Back