Wooden props

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
every aircraft I normally work on has a proper position for their metal props. Now I'm wondering if I use a certified engine, but a wooden prop Should I use that metal prop position on my E/AB aircraft. ??

FIFY

Last edited:
If it is a four cylinder (seems likely) then I would suggest clocking it for TDC at about 90 degrees to the horizon. I don't like hand propping an engine when the mags click when the prop is vertical .

I have no more guidance than that other than to look at the engine maintenance manual or possibly the TDCS.

Last edited:
If it is a four cylinder (seems likely) then I would suggest clocking it for TDC at about 90 degrees to the horizon. I don't like hand propping an engine when the mags click when the prop is vertical .

I have no more guidance than that other than to look at the engine maintenance manual or possibly the TDCS.
There's the best answer yet.. we will hand prop this V-EZ.
This A/C has no TCDS, and the engine manual doesn't say.

There's the best answer yet.. we will hand prop this V-EZ.
This A/C has no TCDS, and the engine manual doesn't say.
And this crap is why I pick on you. You ask a question then treat others like fools.

You did not mention it was experimental much less an EZ.

And this crap is why I pick on you. You ask a question then treat others like fools.

You did not mention it was experimental much less an EZ.
Did you really read post #1? what's the last two words?

Did you really read post #1? what's the last two words?
"My" and "aircraft". E/AB is not a word; it's an acronym which means nothing to me. I don't try and guess what every person's made up acronyms mean on this forum.

"My" and "aircraft". E/AB is not a word; it's an acronym which means nothing to me. I don't try and guess what every person's made up acronyms mean on this forum.
So, now you get nit picky rather than admit you screwed up.

Evelyn Wood has a couple on line courses that you you need to take.

I still don't know what AB means. So no, I didn't screw up, I just don't know what your acronym is supposed to mean. I will assume from your later post that E/ means experimental.

I still don't know what AB means. So no, I didn't screw up, I just don't know what your acronym is supposed to mean. I will assume from your later post that E/ means experimental.
you haven't been around the home built crowd much? Experimental / Amateur Built does not ring a bell with you? pretty standard acronym in the home built web pages.

OBTW when you don't know what some thing means you automatically ridicule the author? rather juvenile I'd say.

you haven't been around the home built crowd much? Experimental / Amateur Built does not ring a bell with you? pretty standard acronym in the home built web pages.

OBTW when you don't know what some thing means you automatically ridicule the author? rather juvenile I'd say.

No, I have not been around them enough to know what their acronyms mean.

Yes, I do ridicule everything I don't understand. I'm only 15, don't you know?

No, I have not been around them enough to know what their acronyms mean.

Yes, I do ridicule everything I don't understand. I'm only 15, don't you know?
We figured.

It's an experimental.....you're now the mechanic and the engineer. Good luck pal. :D

If you all had been in the Air Force, you might know what AB is...
After burners? Does Tom's experimental have after burners? Wood prop may not be a good idea.

Last edited:

I typed "E/AB aircraft" into Google and got a long list of hits about homebuilts, kitplanes and the like. It's not difficult, you know. Aviation is full of acronyms, and you'd better learn to look them up when you encounter them. Try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aviation,_aerospace_and_aeronautical_abbreviations

And it isn't anywhere near complete. Another one: https://www.faa.gov/jobs/abbreviations/

Woo Hoo! I get to be the pedantic one this time.

It's E-AB (Hyphen please, leave those slashes at home)

If we are talking about clocking the prop - does that mean that the EZ is getting (reasonably) close to flying? Got pictures?

Back