Woman Attacking Flight Attendant Gets Prison Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was in 12d from IAD to ATLabout 2 weeks B4 the mask mandate was lifted. There was an older Gentlemen and his fie in E and f. He was weraring this surigclal maske below his nose. The 20 something flgiht attendant came back and asked him to wear it properly. He put it up for 10 seconds and then down the moment she turned around. About 2 mintues later she's back again. Whe 12E was NOT HAVING ANY of that. About five minutes later here she comes again, but she's intercepted by teh mid 50's some FA who sez to her, "honey, we want to finish this flight without an injury. Why don't you let it go?....."...as I was about to get out of my seat to make way for the fisticuffs.

I say, "good".
So the only federal mandates that should be enforced are the ones you agree with?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post.

Last edited:
This lady deserves a harsh penalty for repeatedly punching that flight attendant. But 15 months plus 3 years supervision? Seems excessive to me. A month actual incarceration would have been more than enough, with another year or two probation, plus restitution.

This making examples of people is BS. We are supposed to be a just society. Make the punishment fit the crime.
During the height of the airline violence period, I was the captain for numerous events. I was the guy in the middle of all that crap. The only way to get it to stop is actually to enforce the penalties.

I’m tired of it, and happy to see some real punishment.

But we must also remember that every coin has two sides, and in this case it is human rights.

NY Times says I gotta subscribe. So does he get smacked around? Or just dragged down the aisle?

The Doctor had purchased a ticket on the plane, he was going home. After legally boarding the plane, while sitting there peacefully, not bothering anyone, in his assigned seat, that he had paid in full for, some miserable hag, i sure wouldn't call a flight attendant, because it is an insult to real flight attendants, told him he had to get off the plane, because she decided that someone else was going to be using his seat instead. He refused to leave his seat, just as I would have. So she called the thugs aka authorities who beat him up and dragged him off.
They could have used a jump seat if they need another seat, or asked who would like to be bumped for a ticket on the next plane plus $2500 cash, if they really needed a seat so damn badly.
But what those people did, the airline employees included, was absolutely disgusting, and unforgivable!

The Doctor had purchased a ticket on the plane, he was going home. After legally boarding the plane, while sitting there peacefully, not bothering anyone, in his assigned seat, that he had paid in full for, some miserable hag, i sure wouldn't call a flight attendant, because it is an insult to real flight attendants, told him he had to get off the plane, because she decided that someone else was going to be using his seat instead. He refused to leave his seat, just as I would have. So she called the thugs aka authorities who beat him up and dragged him off.
They could have used a jump seat if they need another seat, or asked who would like to be bumped for a ticket on the next plane plus $2500 cash, if they really needed a seat so damn badly.
But what those people did, the airline employees included, was absolutely disgusting, and unforgivable!
Just a wild guess…. There is a bit of improv there.

Right off the bat, the FA does not determine who gets off the airplane.

And please review what true “thugs” are. While some may disagree with law enforcement actions, thugs they are not.

I flew a lot during the mask mandates. I HATED wearing the mask, especially since I was almost always at the airport/on the plane for close to 12 hours each time, but I had agreed to wear it as a condition of boarding that plane so I wasn't going to take it off even if I thought it was stupid. I did rest my head on my hand and slip the loop off my ear and put it over my thumb so it wouldn't pull on my ear and give me a headache, but it always looked like it was on and I never had a problem with anyone.

That said, I think 15 months in jail and 3 years of "probation" is a bit much for what amounts to simple assault or even aggravated assault. A fine and year in jail seems like a more appropriate sentence, but I'm not the judge so I don't get to choose! :)

That said, I think 15 months in jail and 3 years of "probation" is a bit much for what amounts to simple assault or even aggravated assault. A fine and year in jail seems like a more appropriate sentence, but I'm not the judge so I don't get to choose! :)
I would imagine one’s demeanor in court could affect that.

but she’s well on her way to being the subject of the perfect country and western song! :D

And please review what true “thugs” are. While some may disagree with law enforcement actions, thugs they are not.

My cousin, a LEO would disagree.
In his own words " We can get away with anything we want, including rape, murder, drug deals, spousal abuse, theft, driving dangerously, and more, because we have the badge".

but she’s well on her way to being the subject of the perfect country and western song! :D

Yep ... prolly sung by David Allen Coe! Then she will start playing the victim card, do some TV spots, write a book, and maybe even a made for TV movie ...

This lady deserves a harsh penalty for repeatedly punching that flight attendant. But 15 months plus 3 years supervision? Seems excessive to me. A month actual incarceration would have been more than enough, with another year or two probation, plus restitution.

This making examples of people is BS. We are supposed to be a just society. Make the punishment fit the crime.
I agree. There should be harsh penalties for assault, but there shouldn't be special cases where it's more harsh to "make an example". I have the same problem with hate crimes. A crime is a crime. Whether you do it because you're a psychopath or because you're a racist shouldn't make a bit of difference.

Nobody should be assaulted for doing their job, whether it's a flight attendant, or a janitor at McDonalds.

I have the same problem with hate crimes. A crime is a crime. Whether you do it because you're a psychopath or because you're a racist shouldn't make a bit of difference.

Agreed! Not sure there is such thing as a love crime ... especially if they are assaulting another human being!

Well… your brush is to wide as well. It’s not appropriate to assume someone is not a thug solely based on wearing a uniform. Never has been…
Law enforcement, while not perfect, does not go around killing people because they shorted them a gram of coke on their last deal.

I remember this story. Iirc, they asked someone to volunteer. Then started adding on money and vouchers. Still no volunteers. So they chose someone at random. Dude happened to be a doctor and put up one helluva tantrum before he got bloodied.

Nobody should be assaulted for doing their job, whether it's a flight attendant, or a janitor at McDonalds.
I view violence on an airliner as being more serious than violence in a McDonald's because the other passengers on an airliner are trapped in a confined space with the violent person. McDonald's customers can separate themselves from the violence much more easily.

airline management had a part in this also. they were so concerned with offending passengers and loosing business that they tried to play nice nice. at my airline they issued this speech that all captains were to give, after all the other nice speeches the airport and agents gave. when someone acted up they tried to talk to them and convince them to put it on. the solution should have been simple. agent, flight attendant, captain what ever, first warning should have been this, "sir/madame like it or not its the law, either comply right now or get off the plane. If you do not comply right now, or get off the plane law enforcement WILL remove you from this aircraft. understand?" done deal. there was too much trying to convince them nicely.

For the airline guys - I've often wondered in the doctor's situation and they asked him to get off the plane because they overbooked or whatever. Do the guys crawl into the baggage area and find his bags or is he just screwed? I know that there is some sort of algorithm that determines who gets off, I'm wondering if it involves who's bag was put on last.

Law enforcement, while not perfect, does not go around killing people because they shorted them a gram of coke on their last deal.

Oh back in the 80's, I'm sure they did, from time to time. It depends on the officer and the department. I've worked with, and had friends in LE for years. Some groups have a good reputation, but still have a few bad apples once in a while. Some groups just have a bad reputation. I don't think there's any inherent right to respect for someone choosing that career over one of crime. I'm not saying that because I approve of criminals, but because when LE goes bad, in my view they are worse than the typical criminal...they're not doing it just for the money, they're doing it because their head isn't screwed on straight.

As far as violence goes, if you want to have people that aren't upset, don't put them in a situation that is upsetting. People who run slaughterhouses are smart enough to know that, you'd think the airlines and the FAA could learn a little bit from it, if they had a fraction of the intelligence between the two groups.

I want my airline cabin crew to rule with an iron fist, because they are in charge of the flight's safety. I don't want it to look like a chair-throwing riot at the Golden Corral if the chips go down and they need order and compliance to deal with a situation.

Whatever the civil penalty for a crime is, it should get some multiple (3X, 5X, whatever) as a modifier for "...on an airplane, contrary to cabin crew instructions"

Flight attendant was just doing her job. She could have been disciplined if she didn’t. There are plenty of passengers just waiting to turn them in if they don’t.
Yeah, FAs use discretion in how they do their jobs, and what rules they enforce, on pretty my much every fight. On the flights I took during the mandate, it was clear that some FAs cared to enforce the mandate and some didn’t. I'm sure they had their reasons. And I don't recall anyone getting in trouble for not enforcing hard enough, but I do recall the mandate being ruled illegal.

Last edited:
Yeah, FAs use discretion in how they do their jobs, and what rules they enforce, on pretty my much every fight. On the flights I took during the mandate, it was clear that some FAs cared to enforce the mandate and some didn’t. I'm sure they had their reasons. And I dint recall anyone getting in trouble for not enforcing hard enough, but I do recall the mandate being ruled illegal.

Two points:

1. The federal judge decision you're referring to took place this year. The incident that's the subject of this thread took place on May 23, 2021, when the mask rule was still in effect.

2. The judge's decision is being appealed. I don't think anyone knows how it's going to turn out.

Two points:

1. The federal judge decision you're referring to took place this year. The incident that's the subject of this thread took place on May 23, 2021, when the mask rule was still in effect.

2. The judge's decision is being appealed. I don't think anyone knows how it's going to turn out.
The question was should FAs only enforce rules they agree with. The answer is that's already the case. And here, the FAs were enforcing an illegal rule.

The question was should FAs only enforce rules they agree with. The answer is that's already the case. And here, the FAs were enforcing an illegal rule.
The FA in this case had no way of knowing that a judge would rule the mask mandate illegal.

That's not the latest information.

The Justice Department asked a federal appeals court on Tuesday to overturn last month's court decision by a federal judge that declared the mandate requiring masks on airplanes and other public transportation unlawful.

In a 48-page document filed in the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, the Justice Department argues that the order issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in early 2021 "falls easily within the CDC's statutory authority."​

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/31/1102321407/doj-federal-mask-mandate-airplanes-travel

The FA in this case had no way of knowing that a judge would rule the mask mandate illegal.

When a law or regulation or whatever is determined to be illegal, is anyone that was accused and convicted of violating it get their record cleaned up?

When a law or regulation or whatever is determined to be illegal, is anyone that was accused and convicted of violating it get their record cleaned up?
I don't think it's automatic. I think I've seen some proposed Legislation to make it so. It was about Marijuana busts. Had some ounce numbers in it. Don't remember seeing if any became Law.

So the best excuse for law enforcement abysmal behavior is someone is worse?
“Mom my C- isn’t that bad, Joe got a D on his last assignment”

There is a reason so many people are OK with defunding the police. When the courts ruled that the police have no duty to protect the people, and in many cases upheld civil asset forfeiture, and when calling the police for felony level crimes they say “that’s a civil matter”, I was ok with defunding the police. They have earned their bad reputation.

Well it was a rule that never made sense, and FAs are horrible at their jobs, we had a policy of having them wear watches, where as the pilots didn’t have to, as they were late so often. It’s accepted they arnt good at their jobs, as a pax I have asked for a water and never got it, bow give them a little authority with the mask thing and all those girls just went crazy over it.

For the airline guys - I've often wondered in the doctor's situation and they asked him to get off the plane because they overbooked or whatever. Do the guys crawl into the baggage area and find his bags or is he just screwed? I know that there is some sort of algorithm that determines who gets off, I'm wondering if it involves who's bag was put on last.

They ordered him off so they could reposition a flight crew. The airline ordered a paying, ticketed customer off their aircraft to accommodate their own employees due to poor management and planning.

When he refused to deplane, the airline had security personnel (not Chicago police) forcibly remove him. They knocked him unconscious then laughed as they dragged him down the aisle.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that attacking flight attendants is still illegal.

They ordered him off so they could reposition a flight crew. The airline ordered a paying, ticketed customer off their aircraft to accommodate their own employees due to poor management and planning.

When he refused to deplane, the airline had security personnel (not Chicago police) forcibly remove him. They knocked him unconscious then laughed as they dragged him down the aisle.
That put's a light on things. Did they at least try to buy some volunteers first? I ain't excusing or accusing here. Just wondering.

That put's a light on things. Did they at least try to buy some volunteers first? I ain't excusing or accusing here. Just wondering.

Yes, they did but got no volunteers. I don’t know whether they exhausted all options to reposition their crew, like buying seats on another airline, but I doubt it.

The whole situation was initiated, then escalated, by UAL. I guess smashing guitars wasn’t quite enough for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back