Winter is Coming

Jim Schilling

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyMidwestJim
We are in a Blizzard Warning. Someone, anyone, everyone help up upper midwesterners with some quality, vicarious aviation content to keep us going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night I reset my pax and night currency for ASEL & P32R (club) in advance of this big storm.
[footage missing]

But how 'bout that temp gradient?
upload_2022-12-22_7-49-7.png

Lamest blizzard ever. We barely got 1.5" so far around Madison. Way, way overhyped.

This one's pretty widespread. Supposed to hit here around noon, so we're trying to get to Oma's house & back this morning before we hunker down. I flew yesterday to try and diagnose my magnetometer issue. Hopefully it will be warm enough to dig the hangar out by Monday. It's the cold I hate. I'd rather deal with a couple feet of snow than these 0F temps and 40mph winds.

Lamest blizzard ever. We barely got 1.5" so far around Madison. Way, way overhyped.

We got a good 6-8 around here, it’s the wind and how light this snow is that’s gonna be the problem starting today.

This one's pretty widespread. Supposed to hit here around noon, so we're trying to get to Oma's house & back this morning before we hunker down. I flew yesterday to try and diagnose my magnetometer issue. Hopefully it will be warm enough to dig the hangar out by Monday. It's the cold I hate. I'd rather deal with a couple feet of snow than these 0F temps and 40mph winds.

We’re hanging out at -12 right now with a windchill of -30. I’ll be hunkered down in my office, thankful I no longer work patrol!

We got about two feet last week where I live in Vermont and none of it has melted since then. Tonight the temps go above freezing, rising to 50s tomorrow, then quickly dropping to the single digits as a cold front comes through. Not a blizzard coming, but it's going to be ghastly tomorrow into Saturday.

Huh. Here in AK we had three storms that left 5’ of snow in the past two weeks, and now the wind’s been blowing 20-40 for going on 4 days. And NWS just posted a blizzard warning with no new snow in the forecast. I wonder where they’ve been for 4 days!

49980DED-6819-4C87-9EEF-3693F10ADD3B.png

Last edited:
It's a big deal here in FL. For the first time in 4 years since we left VA, I broke out my plane's engine heater and cowl blanket in anticipation of waking up to freezing temps on Saturday across the SouthEast. I've got a planned X-Mas Eve round trip flight up to SC to retrieve my son.

Huh. Here in AK we had three storms that left 5’ of snow in the past two weeks, and now the wind’s been blowing 20-40 for going on 4 days. And NWS just posted a blizzard warning with no new snow in the forecast. I wonder where they’ve been for 4 days!

View attachment 113287

I wonder if their definitions of Blizzard are different where you’re at. Like they think…”It’s Alaska, it just does this here.”

Yeah, but the headline isn't the quantity of now this system brought (although that was hyped a few days prior), but the 50+ mph winds, sub-zero temps, and -40F windchills. I've seen a whiteout blizzard here with as little as 1 inch of snow, from the previous day.

It's a big deal here in FL. For the first time in 4 years since we left VA, I broke out my plane's engine heater and cowl blanket in anticipation of waking up to freezing temps on Saturday across the SouthEast. I've got a planned X-Mas Eve round trip flight up to SC to retrieve my son.
I was actually going to try and fly down to FL for some beach time. Then I saw the forecast highs and figured it was a waste of a trip.

-15, wind chill -35 Denver, couple inches of snow. Clear, sunny, I’m staying home. By Saturday, in the 40s.

Welcome to Colorado.

I wonder if their definitions of Blizzard are different where you’re at. Like they think…”It’s Alaska, it just does this here.”

When I lived above the Arctic Circle, snow was not a stranger in summer. One 4th of July I was walking home from the company 4th of July party at 2am. I was walking because it would have not been smart to drive in my condition at the time. The sun was shining brightly through breaks in the overcast, and it was snowing tremendously. Something like 6 inches before morning.

The joke on the tundra was all the new snow fell In September, and for the next 7 months the wind just blew that snow around from village to village...

When I lived above the Arctic Circle, snow was not a stranger in summer. One 4th of July I was walking home from the company 4th of July party at 2am. I was walking because it would have not been smart to drive in my condition at the time. The sun was shining brightly through breaks in the overcast, and it was snowing tremendously. Something like 6 inches before morning.

The joke on the tundra was all the new snow fell In September, and for the next 7 months the wind just blew that snow around from village to village...
July 1993, driving home from LA to Denver, snow over Vail Pass. And I'm wearing shorts and sneakers.

Same. 1" dusting of snow, pretty stiff winds and 3F, with the wind chill around -20F. Started off with a touch of freezing drizzle, so the roads a bit slick under the 1" of powder.

If this keeps up, I might have to put on long pants and a shirt with (short) sleeves. And SOCKS!

Remember when the density altitude somewhere in Alaska was so low that the airlines couldn't land? (I think it was due to published op specs not going that low.)

Why does anyone live here?

Screenshot_20221222-201302_Windsock.jpg

On the bright side, we didn't get much more than an inch of snow.

It’s the same temp here too. We just set our thermostat to 63F for overnight.

What does everyone else set theirs to during cold snaps? Warmer or colder?

I just leave mine alone (note: as the dad, I alone am allowed to touch the thermostat. There is no we/our ;)). I think I have it programmed for 60 at night, 68 during the day. The electric blanket is crucial on windy nights like this though. I have to leave my upstairs bathroom faucet dripping when it gets this cold.

I am so sick of the news overhyping every weak ass "storm" that comes through. Just got home from bowling, even though we were warned we would die if we left the house, and the roads had more traction than they do when its raining. The driving visibility was over 2 miles, and it it took the normal amount of time to get home.

I knew this was going to be pathetic.

Typical “Texas can’t decide on parka’s or short sleeves” season.

11°F now. Next Wednesday, not so bad.

06357201-087C-48CA-A662-047AC0AE657D.jpeg

I just leave mine alone (note: as the dad, I alone am allowed to touch the thermostat. There is no we/our ;)). I think I have it programmed for 60 at night, 68 during the day. The electric blanket is crucial on windy nights like this though. I have to leave my upstairs bathroom faucet dripping when it gets this cold.

If I did that the air conditioner would never turn off.

I like sleeping in a cooler room, (Not Sidnaw on Labor Day cold though!) so around 63 all winter.

I am so sick of the news overhyping every weak *** "storm" that comes through. Just got home from bowling, even though we were warned we would die if we left the house, and the roads had more traction than they do when its raining. The driving visibility was over 2 miles, and it it took the normal amount of time to get home.

I knew this was going to be pathetic.

The Blizzard warning for the twin cities today turned into blue skies and windy.

I’ve noticed the same thing over the last few years. Every weather event is a dangerous storm system and we’re all gonna die.

This is about what they are “predicting” now…

d1a794ef9788acc496ce8517ed64f5f9.jpg

If I did that the air conditioner would never turn off.
I hope it goes without saying there's a different program for the summer time. I would move to Florida or South Texas in a heartbeat if I could. We're definitely moving south when I retire, but my wife likes a little bit of cold still, so I'm targeting southern TN. Cold enough for a nice cozy fire, but not cold enough to kill you if the power goes out., and snow goes from an annual curse to an occasional treat.

I hope it goes without saying there's a different program for the summer time. I would move to Florida or South Texas in a heartbeat if I could. We're definitely moving south when I retire, but my wife likes a little bit of cold still, so I'm targeting southern TN. Cold enough for a nice cozy fire, but not cold enough to kill you if the power goes out., and snow goes from an annual curse to an occasional treat.

April and I are targeting the Chattanooga to Knoxville area when I (hopefully) hang things up in a couple years. I've been in Florida in August and as someone who likes being outside, I can't deal with that.

Waiting for daylight to see what the landscape looks like. Been blowing all night. Meanwhile, it’s 13° at my Tx house.

379CA27C-2BC4-41CF-8D59-EE342587548F.jpeg

Currently -5 windchill -27 here.
We too have considered Southeast TN. Have had a lot of family there over the past several years. Although down to just a few now, it's still a central location for departure to all of our family.
We could move the Rough River fly in down there. Save most folks some time, and Ryan might even come ;)

Since propane is a little pricey here the last several years, I leave the thermostat at 62 for the night, 67 for the day. Then I have a few good electric heaters on timers to supplement daytime heat, if needed.

And since electricity can be a luxury at times, I have a emergency propane heater on a bottle that on the coldest of days I will run to keep the cold out. The emergency heater will keep the main living area warm enough when (not if) the electricity goes out.

My new charcoal grill stays in the well house in winter. I have used it to keep the well from freezing when (not if) the electricity goes out.

The cats have their own heated bed that they really enjoy. 2 cats will share, but the oldest one has to have her own bed.

Warmed up to -8, wind chill -20, 23/G31 at the home drome near Dayton. In the 50's next week.

we lose power a lot, so I set mine high ahead of the storm to get heat into the mass of the house in case we lose power for a few days. at least we're starting from warm walls/furniture/etc.

Back