Winter is Coming

Its certainly here now, visibility is probably 100-200 yards at best. All counties are pulling plows. Big pile up on I-35 in Iowa. Travel not advised for most of state.

Yeah, Ohio looks like a disaster now. Huge pileup on the turnpike. Some crazy images coming from that at the moment.

And nationally, they're saying over a million without power. And thousands of commercial flights cancelled.

Here in MD, we got a full day of heavy rain yesterday to saturate the soil, then 50mph wind gusts today. I know personally and very intimately that combination can lead to bad things. *nervously watches out the windows at the trees swaying*

Joy of Colorado - at least the urban areas along the Front Range. Traditionally, we'll have 1-2 days of snow (this frigid spell is unusual, as we all know) then sun comes out and temps rise. Right now, 4F, windchill -8 (definitely an improvement over Wed & Thursday!) bright, sunny, and by Christmas on Sunday, forecast is high of 53 and by Tuesday, 58 or better.

But please, retired to someplace on the east side of the country. We already have enough traffic as it is.

49 and sunny here in Gallup. Warmer than last week.

Looks like I am too far west for the winter storm to be a bother.

Cold as anything here. I installed a new doorbell cam (pretty quickly) and was very happy to be back inside when I was done.

Checking on it a little while later, I noticed frost on the threshold beneath the front door. On the inside. Complete with a cold, cold breeze coming from under the door. Turns out the guys who installed the new door didn't bother to caulk the gap between the metal threshold/seal and the wooden plate underneath. I masked everything off and sealed the gap with the remnants of a tube of RTV I had laying around. Anyone know the curing properties of RTV at 15F?

Curing shouldn’t be a problem but bonding will.

Still gusting >75mph here. Going on 14 hours. The wind isn’t the problem. All the snow we have is. Catching a jet south tonight… if I can get to the big airport.

We went for +10C earlier in the week to -15C.

Yesterday, METARs in the area had gusts to 42 knots and winds aloft in the teens were as high as 86 knots for MD to FL. Still windy today. We were supposedly to fly to FL today. Maybe tomorrow.

Back