Display name:
Scrabo
8.5 now on the App Store with some nice new features

Change log

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 105
WingX is a very good app and this looks like a good upgrade. Love it. They compete, we win.

WingX is a very good app and this looks like a good upgrade. Love it. They compete, we win.

WingX is fantastic! Upgrading now, what's interesting is I have a list of some features I was going to email Hilton about, one of which is the time tracking feature looks like they added.

I really like Wing X. Use it on an iPad (2) and iPhone (4s).

I really like Wing X. Use it on an iPad (2) and iPhone (4s).

I have issues with 8.5 on an older ipad2 64gb with iOS 8.3 installed, pop up windows would open but not close.

Reverted back to the previous version with no issue.

I used to use WingX, but have replaced it with Garmin Pilot. Having the same UI as the 650/750 series radios, and the ability to function as an interface to the 430/530 radios as well just made the sale for me. Just picked up a GDL-39-3D to go with it. I really did like WingX and was what I used prior. I never used Foreflight except the first month I had the iPad and tested it against WingX, no contest given that WingX had SVT.

I have issues with 8.5 on an older ipad2 64gb with iOS 8.3 installed, pop up windows would open but not close.

Reverted back to the previous version with no issue.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Bug Alert: A bug somehow got through. The bug prevents some popup windows from closing; these windows including the Wx, NOTAMs, and Fuel popups as well as the Aeronautical Information page. We do not recommend Version 8.5.0.0 at this time. We plan on fixing these issues and submitting Version 8.5.0.1 within 24 hours.

From their Facebook page.

I do not understand why it's not talked about more than FF.

Also, to any CFIs, wingx is free so give it a shot.

Flying today it was almost 90, I tried a new knee strap for my ipad and had it charging off the plane power, for the first time my ipad overheated and shut down. Doesn't give me warm fuzzies for approaches. Guess I'll keep the paper a little handier.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.PNG
    IMG_0010.PNG
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
What are the big ticket changes?

What are the big ticket changes?

Messed with a flight on demo mode and really the biggest and most useful to me are the timer additions and the Zulu time. I had been using the Ipad clock for all that... now it's on the flight ticker on the top.

I started with FF/Dual XGPS 150, then switched to WingX/Clarity SV for SVT, then back to FF/Stratus 2 for IFR training last year (and Stratus 2). If I switch again, it *might* be to Garmin Pilot because I have a GTN 750 and might install their FlightStream box.

I'm getting whiplash, but I don't even care. The iPad has made flight planning fun and has made flying *much* more enjoyable and (theoretically) safer than the paper days.

I started with FF/Dual XGPS 150, then switched to WingX/Clarity SV for SVT, then back to FF/Stratus 2 for IFR training last year (and Stratus 2). If I switch again, it *might* be to Garmin Pilot because I have a GTN 750 and might install their FlightStream box.

I'm getting whiplash, but I don't even care. The iPad has made flight planning fun and has made flying *much* more enjoyable and (theoretically) safer than the paper days.

Yeah, sadly, Garmin is likely to take this market due to their interfacing with their radios. The ability to upgrade the 430/530 interface and get rubber banding and Victor Airways and the ability to upload flight plan updates to comply with clearance amendments without going through the spin click ad infinitum interface for $1000, that value cannot be underestimated considering the popularity of the GNS boxes across the fleet. Unless FF and WingX can tap into that interface for similar capacity, their GA market will become more and more limited as the Flightstream boxes start inhabiting the rental fleet. The big always eat the little innovator.

That's what I have in my 172... works well. Here's a screenshot of a flight from last month. No weather but you can see the other traffic.

You were in the back yard of some of the DFW PoA gang and didn't say hello?!?!? For shame!

Bug Alert: A bug somehow got through. The bug prevents some popup windows from closing; these windows including the Wx, NOTAMs, and Fuel popups as well as the Aeronautical Information page. We do not recommend Version 8.5.0.0 at this time. We plan on fixing these issues and submitting Version 8.5.0.1 within 24 hours.

From their Facebook page.

Was the sun hitting it on your knee?

Was the sun hitting it on your knee?
think you meant to quote my post.

No, not really. I noticed it was getting hot on the back. I've never had it shut down on the yolk before though.

8.5.2 is up on the App Store

8.5.3 is on app store

Attachments

• wx1.jpg
    wx1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 32
I wonder if WinX talking to Garmin avionics is now on the Hilton to-do list.

Doesn't it do something today with Aspen ? Shouldn't be too difficult I would think.

How does it compare to FF? Has someone used both extensively? Tried Garmin Pilot and was not impressed at all.

How does it compare to FF? Has someone used both extensively? Tried Garmin Pilot and was not impressed at all.

Compares well. I have used both quite a bit and there are some good write-ups available from Aviation Consumer and others. This is one you'd have to Google as the comparisons really get into the details of the features and it ends up being a matter of preference for the features that one does slightly better than the other.

Once upon a time there was only ForeFlight and WingX Pro. They were competitors at the very beginning of iPad EFBs and leapfrogged each other constantly.

One can still see the "nyah nyah, mine had this first!" or "mine does it better!" But, in reality, they are more or less equal in what they can do, with the determining factor of which any individual likes better coming down to look and feel.

Pull down the demo (technically 99¢) and give it a trial and compare for yourself.

Foreflight isn't "talking to" Garmin from what I read, it's just listening. It'll accept the data streams, but I didn't read where it would upload flight plans and ammendments to the panel boxes. I imagine that's proprietary, but if they put it out, it'll kill off Avidyne.

Compares well. WX and FF both do much the same thing, but there are somethings each does a bit better than the other.

It comes down to the same choice between Chevy/Ford/Dodge, Catholic/Protestant, Great Taste/Less Filling, McD/BK, etc.

Personally, I'm a fan of both and will switch as the situation needs. And I'm glad they both are out there. The competition means they continue to up each other's ante and we the pilots get to benefit from the new features.

And WingX has been promising an Android version will be demo'd at OSH

I know of several pilots who have experienced iPad shutdowns from heat. That was my reason for going with Android/Garmin Pilot. Has anyone experienced a shutdown with an Android device? It gets pretty hot in the cockpit of an R22, but I've never had a problem.

I've had WingX for about a month. I don't use it much but when I do it works really well for me. I just got it because it is free for CFIs!

Back