Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by AdamZ, Mar 6, 2006.
Waaay too far.
Maybe in *thinks* 20 or 30 years
I wish I could make this Adam! I will be in NH.
We will have to have another excuse for me to come out there!
Ok, I'm offically in. Archer N3562G... so far all by myself. I've invited others but no one has said yes yet.
Looking forward to meeting you and hearing about your new job and home.
Okay, Adam, you can move me from a maybe to a definite. Got the airplane, but Jill won't be able to come along.
Sorry Jill can't make it - still wanna race over a defined course?
Waaaah! But I'll be thinking of you all as we set out for Ocean City, New Jersey.
Have fun! If the weather doesn't work for Ocean City but DOES work for the FlyBQ, you can always grab a last minute seat with us.
It's only 1/2 hr from Ocean City to Wings... Could always stop by and say hi.
Thanks for the offer! And Joe, I'll keep that in mind if OC fizzles. It happens. : )
I just spoke to Tom the owner of Montgomery County Aviation at Wings Field (KLOM). Just like last year he is offering those that Fly into the FLYBQ a great discount on fuel!
Attendees of the FLYBQ will be offered a Forty (40) Cent discount per gallon of fuel. Since the price of fuel fluctuates we will not have an exact price until the week of the FLYBQ but it will be 40 cents off the posted price per gallon. Since Wings has some of the least expeinsive fuel in the area it should prove to be a pretty good price. So come thirsty for fuel and take advantage of this great offer and help support the FBO.
Just for those who fly in? So I have to pay full price if I fill up my Toyota with 100LL.
Lee if ya wanna buy 100LL for your toyota I guess they'd sell it to ya if it ain't breaking any laws. I'll stand behind the hanger though when you turn the key.
ya theres a little issue of road use tax on doing that. Not saying it doesnt happen though. At my old home base, a local guy with a classic Chevy Chevelle filled up at the airport. Would fill the tank and then had about 20 gallons of gas containers he would put in the trunk. Apparently that old hot rod liked the lead, hurt his wallet though.
Change of plans,
I'll be flying in in N63140 a C172 with one passenger.
However, I am a little worried about the mass of people flying in to an uncontrolled field. How many people are expected at LOM for the fly in, and how difficult will it be to get in and out?
Rob: Do not worry there are really no tricks to flying into Wings. The land is flat around the airport and the traffic pattern is well defined and standard. The nature of Fly Ins are that not everyone arrives at the same time. From where you are comming you will be in a perfect position to set up for a cross wind entry to downwind for 6 or to enter the downwind for 24 on a 45. (note there is a quarry SE of the field that is an excellent point to start the 45 entry for the downwind for 24 you won't be doing much manuvering at all. I Know of no NORDOs on the field or that will be attending the FlyBQ. Just make your calls in the pattern and you should be fine. It is not unusual for traffic at KLOM to call 7-10 miles out. If its really calm just call on CTAF and ask what runway is in use.
If you are really that concerned either 1) Pick up flight following from NY Departure ( you have a better chance of a hand off to Philly than just trying to raise philly once in their sector. Philly will let you know how many targets are around wings.
or 2) Fly In early and help set up.
Quite frankly now that Joe dosen't need to pick you up I am more concerned about him not having anywhere to fly to and pick someone up. Anyone out there who needs a lift to the FlyBQ please leave a post for Joe. The 10 minute flight from KPNE to KLOM may just frustrate the hell out of him. So why not help out a poor pilot and give him a reason to run up the Hobbs
Thanks Adam, I've actually flown into KLOM before, and I was just curious how all that traffic would work out flying in. Your post definitely helps alleviate most of my concerns.
The GF got wind of my plans to attend a BBQ fly-in and now wants to come with me, hence the change of plans. I'm pretty excited, now all I have to do is finish 3 more law school exams....
As for Joe, I wouldn't worry, I know at least one person who will be asking for a ride in the new tiger.
OK Adam, count me in for two. Tiger 28665.
Bryon and Cheryl Wetzler. or Jeff Brubaker if the wife bows out.
LOL actually, that's a good point. I have no intention of limiting my flight to just PNE-LOM-PNE, so we've been trying to decide where else to go. So, Adam is right. If anyone wants a ride, we have an empty seat!
After the BBQ I wanna see the sights! Marthas vineyard (how far is that) Downtown Manhatten, cape cod, etc. Im not bringing my plane, so I'll be in a *cough* Piper. Who else wants to sightsee? (Im asking because i dont want to fly this rental piper all over the east coast)
I'm heading to Martha's Vineyard on Sunday, then up to NH and Maine on Monday. VT and NY and then home on Tuesday.
Michael Marthas Vineyard is about 227nm north east of KLOM, just under two hours in an Archer. Cape Cod Provincetown KPVC is an easy trip from there.
Hey Joe you could pick me up at N10. That'll add another whole 18 miles to your trip
How many are you up to Adam?!
You must take lots of pictures!!!
Hey Lee if you want i'll pick you up it's on my way there.
Well here is the latest list of attendees we are up to about 60 people and and 23 Planes 1 Helicopter, 1 Honda Pilot, two toyotas and a two ford pickups.
...and Gil, if you're reading this, have you received me e-mail?
P.S. The plane Gil is flying down in (N5288T) is a C172, not 182. Just a small/minor correction ;-)
Ooops I did and I thought I had answered it. I'm sorry Jason. If you still need a ride you are welcome to ride with Sue and me.
Thanks, Gil. I'll gladly take you up on the offer. Also, can you pull up that e-mail and respond back to it if you have a moment. I also had a question in there about something you may know about (HPN ID Badges), but I sent it from a different computer and won't have access to it until next week.
Thanks so much!
The 2nd Annual Wings Fly BQ is only three days away and I wanted to bring everyone upto date about a few things:
1) Contests. We are having two contests, Precision Taxi Contest and Spot Parking Contest. There are three " Word" documents attached to this post General Contest Rules, Precision Taxi Rules and Spot Parking Rules. Open these docs to read the rules. Contest participants should arrive roughtly between 11A.M. and 12:30 P.M to participate. Contest winners will get a plaque and a gift certificate to Wings Pilot shop. I hope all will participate. If you cannot open the docs then send me a PM or an email and I will get them to you. ( special thanks to Ron L for his materials)
2) Arrivals. Assuming arrivals on 24, Please report starting at 10nm out. If the freq is not to congested try to let us know youre inbound for the Fly BQ. Also let us know on downwind if possible if its not too congested. Please listen to AWOS for special instructions ( ya know ya gotta do it anyway) TPA is 1502' and Please avoid overflight of the school just to the east of the airport on arrival for 24. Most planes entering the pattern for 24 at KLOM will use the Quarry to the south of the field as a reporting point for the 45 entry. You can find the quarry on http://www.runwayfinder.com/ ( Hybrid View) Bounded by Rt 276(PA Turnpike) and Flourtown Rd. as well as two golf courses.
3) Attendance: I am buying for the number of folks on the attached list of attendees plus some extra for line crew and others that may show. Please Pleas please if you are comming and not on the list or are bringing extra pax just let me know ( I plan on shopping friday night) if you are on the list and have to back out let me know as well.
4) Discounts: Montgomery County Aviation is giving us a discount on fuel I think the price will be $3.79 per gal 100LL. When you land and pay ( price estimate is about $8.00 same as last year) We will give you a hand stamp and sheet with a discount coupon for the fuel.
5) Weather: Its a fact of life weather happens. If there is a weather cancellation I will post it in this fourm under a thread entitled "WINGS FLYBQ WEATHER". If you want my cell just pm me and I'll send it to you. If we do have to bag it we will still have something for those flying in from a distance so If you plan on comming regardless of the weather just let me know and we can put something smaller together.
First and Foremost. Be SAFE. Then Have fun we look forward to seeing you all there.
The rules for the spot parking contest have me tempted to bring a Skyhawk instead of a Tiger. Cathy can look out the side window and give me directions to put the rt main right where I need it. Another plus for the high wings LOL.
Joe thanks for finding the glitch.
New Rule # 1- Pax must not assist PIC in either contest and must look at pilot and not outside the side windows during Parking contest or automatic diqualification.
New Rule # 2- I can change the rules if we find anyother glitches
BTW folks I forgot this in my last post but we will be on the grass. We have about 60 folks registered and picnic tables that seat about 32. I will bring extra tables but those that have them may want to bring a camp chair or two or a blanket to throw on the grass. Its up to you.
If anyone has ability to take video that would be great as my video camera is fried.
I'll bring my video camera.
Adam, sounds like you guys are gonna have a real blast!
You can tell the rules were written for Grumman pilots.
Have fun, be safe, and take a LOT of pictures!
Sal [Lagonia], if you're reading this, do you have a free seat in your Cardinal? I was going to be going with Gil, but he is unable to attend.
If so, please e-mail me or post in this thread.
Guys, It looks to be a little windy tomorrow down at KLOM, I might have to scrub. As a new PPL I don't want to take any chances or get my GR sick.
I'll keep an eye on the winds, and I hope to see everybody tomorrow.
As of this evening the repairs on my plane are still not finished. There is a small chance I may get her back early in the morning but if not - then I will have to send my regrets.
Rob : check out my PMs and call me. Number is in my PM Currently the winds are 260@4 at 7:40 A.M. During the fly b q the highest they are forcast for at 11mph which is like 8.6kts from the west pretty much down the runway. Clouds are currently 4100sct 4700bkn 12000sct Forcast is for a sct base at 6500 to 12000.