Will this first solo be my last flight?

CrimsonFlyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CrimsonFlyer
The VASI is red-red. The airspeed has deteriorated to 60 knots. My aim point is now the parking lot of the Macy's, half a mile from the approach number. The previously mild turbulence now rocks the Warrior's wings up and down. I glance to the right seat, which is discomfortingly empty. Just a few minutes ago it was occupied by my trusty CFI. If I could take my vital signs now, I would be tachycardic and hypertensive. I'm solo. Solo. Oh, crap...

TWO WEEKS AGO...

I had finished all the solo paperwork for the CFI and the flying club, answered all the quizzes correctly. I knew the performance of the PA 28-161. I knew the boundaries of the surrounding Bravo and Charlie airspaces. I memorized the emergency checklists. After 3 weeks without flying due to work, I surprisingly nailed all the landings that day, even the ones that my CFI deliberately tried to sabotage. He would cause a balloon or step on a rudder during my flare or create an undesirable drift during my roundout. I corrected them all, with adjustment in the back pressure, with prompt opposite rudder, with smooth aileron. I kept the nose high during the touch-down.

"Are you ready for your solo next week?" my CFI asked at the end of the practice lesson as we landed back to our home airport across the Bay.

"Yes, I think so," I confidently replied. Man, this landing thing is not so bad. I'm ready. Or so I thought.

A WEEK AGO...

This was the day. After a few days of rain in this drought-suffering state, the sky returned to its usual blueness, interrupted by white streaks high-flying cirrus. The wind was calm. It was a perfect day to solo.

I preflighted with more deliberateness than usual. I rolled the airplane carefully to check all three tires. Fuel at tabs bilaterally. Oil at the right level. Even though I had always religiously followed the checklist from day one of training, each item took a bit more time today. My skin is more in the game today. Perhaps aviation, at least commercial aviation, is so safe because pilots have a good incentive to have an uneventful flight. If they can get their asses safely to the destination, the passengers will too. My field of work, medicine, has adapted the checklist culture, but only to a certain extent. Our skin is not really in the game. Sometimes it's a good thing. Otherwise, as an oncologist, I would have died a few times a week.

The CFI quickly filled out the solo form in my logbook. He checked my medical certificate. "I'll sign this just right before leaving the plane," he promised.

We took off into clear, calm air that caressed the Warrior. On our left was the narrow strip of land between the Santa Cruz mountains and the Bay, the so-called Peninsula that was home to Stanford University and some of the most ridiculously expensive towns in the country. Two-bed, one-bath house for 1.4 million dollars. Ninety-thousand-dollar Tesla Model S's jammed the freeway. Directly underneath our flying machine was East Palo Alto, with housing projects, poorly funded schools, and crime rates that had remained stubbornly high throughout the decades. Its brown and black residents babysat kids, cleaned toilets, trimmed the roses in meticulously manicured gardens of Atherton mansions owned by mostly white high-tech multimillionaires and billionaires. Beyond our right wing, across the bay, were neighborhoods that were a bit more affordable, by local standards, but still outrageously pricy by the rest of the country. Ahead, if I could see from the nose of the airplane, currently pitched up for its Vy, lied the San Mateo bridge and, further to the horizon, SFO and the city of San Francisco. As usual there were jets above us, displayed as arrows on my Stratus-equipped iPad.

We turned right at the Dumbarton bridge and continued our ascent, leaving the wealth disparity behind. From here, even barely above 1000 feet MSL, one could only see the beauty of the earth, the bay glistening in the sun, the stoic mountains on three sides, the colorful salt evaporation ponds, the green golf courses, the white rooftops, the tiny cars. There was no rich versus poor, no whites versus blacks, no employers versus employees. There was no daily worry, no anxiety, no stress. From here, flying, magically moving the air, though constantly scanning for traffic and monitoring the altimeter so we would not bust the Bravo above us, I felt like the luckiest person on earth. I was at peace. Beauty was all around us. And this old Piper Warrior, with its trusty Lycoming engine, was a beauty in its own right. My CFI was also quiet. Very quiet today. He sat back and let me do everything, the flying and the radio work. I wondered if he experienced the same magic of flying at that moment.

Our home airport tower approved the frequency change. We got KHWD ATIS, contacted tower, and requested left closed traffic.

"Let's do a few warm-up laps," muttered my CFI, meaning before my solo. I flew the straight-in approach as requested by ATC. The final looked good. On speed. On glide path. Over the number, I idled the throttle. Before I could start the flare, I heard a hearty thump. The damn airplane landed. Flat. The CFI smiled somewhat mischievously. I knew he knew that the landing would be flat, though not flat enough for him to take control, but he wanted to teach me a lesson.

Alright. It's OK. We all make mistakes. We gave full throttle from another go from 28L. A 650 foot TPA means a pretty fast circuit. Here comes the second landing. I flared at the perfect height, or so I thought before the plane dropped hard onto its rear wheels, shattering my confidence.

Maybe third time would be the charm. Hey, I had nailed all the landings the previous week. I can do this. I turned final. VASI warned red-red. I gave my baby some power, and it quickly got back up on the glide path. And promptly shot through it. ****. I reduced power, but it was too late. The number was approaching fast. We floated and floated and landed way down the runway and made a full stop.

After a quick dissection of the landings, my CFI concluded, "Let's practice some more today." No solo. In a way, I'm glad. There was no way I was ready.

We switched from the 650 foot left pattern to the parallel, much narrower and shorter runway, with an 850 foot pattern to practice more. I had to know when to start the descent sequence, depending on pattern attitude, whether our downwind was extended by ATC, My last few landings were good.

Solo next week? I think I'm ready again.

A FEW MINUTES AGO...

"Are you warmed up?" my CFI asked. I had done three not-so-great but safe and nose-up landings without much excitement. And I did all that while managing the radio work in a saturated pattern with ATC rapidly firing instructions. They had to turn away several touch-and-go requests.

"Yes. Let's do it." Of course I meant me. There would be no more "us." Just me. Scary. "Yes, I'm ready," I told him.

"Dropped me off there," my CFI pointed to the end of the taxiway. He went over what I had read on the Internet. The aircraft would feel much lighter. I would reach TPA much faster. Easier to balloon.

"It's OK to have some nervousness," he prepped me. He discussed the hand signals he might use. He would be monitor the tower frequency on his handheld and if I screwed up badly, he might say something. He asked for my medical certificate. After signing it carefully, he showed me to make sure things looked right.

"Oh, one more thing," he said then keyed the mike. "Hayward tower, Cherokee 12345."

"Cherokee 12345, say request."

"I'm sending my student for his first solo. If possible, please keep him in the left pattern." Ah, it was nice of him. The left runway is much wider and longer than the right one. Earlier today, we and other aircraft had been asked to move to the right runway after the left one was saturated. Tower agreed.

"Alright. Have fun!" he stepped out onto the right wing and slammed the door shut. I reached over and latched the door. The last thing I wanted on my first solo flight was a door popping open a few hundred feet in the air.

I released the brakes, taxied toward the assigned runway. "Cherokee 12345, cleared for takeoff runway 28L, make left traffic," tower came on my headset. I replied for the first time as pilot in command. No nervousness in my voice even though my heart was beating fast. No traffic on final. I lined up and applied full throttle. Right rudder. The engine roared. Fifty five knots. I rotated. And she flew and flew and flew. Wow. Cool. Hey, I'm flying. By myself.

Before I even finished crosswind, the altimeter was flying through TPA. I cut power back and turned downwind.

"Cherokee 12345, extend downwind. I'll call your base."

Come on. It's my first solo, and you're screwing up my pattern. "You'll call my base, Cherokee 12345." My nervousness increased. I flew past the usual landmark for base turn. Pay attention to traffic. Pay attention to speed. Pay attention to altitude.

Tower called my base. I turned base, then turned final...

TO THE PRESENT...

Oh, crap. I'm now slow and low with full flaps. I would much prefer landing on the 5000-foot runway instead of the Macy's parking lot. Don't stall. Don't stall. My training kicks in. I push the throttle forward a bit. Don't raise the nose yet. The airspeed increases smoothly. Back on the glide path. Sixty seven knots. I crab slightly to the left to compensate for the crosswind.

The approach now looks much better. Whew. The runway becomes bigger in the windshield. I sideslip to line up longitudinally. Above the number. Power to idle. I flare at the usual height. The aircraft promptly jumps up. Damn balloon. I knew it would do this and still made the same mistake many first solo student pilots have probably made. I ease on the back pressure. The Warrior floats slowly back down. It floats more then starts to sink slowly. I bring the nose higher and higher. More and more back pressure. Rudder left and right to correct yaw.

Amazingly, the aircraft settles with a not-so-loud thud on its back tires, then nose gear. I apply the brakes smoothly before letting it roll to the next turnout. On the taxiway, my CFI raises his phone. I check mine. "Not bad," he texts and advises me to flare not so high. I give him a thumbs up and taxi back to the runway. Yes, I survived. I didn't die. Yes, I can do this. I can become a pilot.

Great write up -- great story. Welcome to the new world of being a PILOT. :)

Just stop looking at VASI's. Unless you intend to always give up 1,000ft of runway.

Great job. Great story. To rolivi's point; the spot on the ground that's not moving is the spot you're heading towards. (Same is actually try of avoiding mid-air collisions -- if there's no relative motion, then you're on a collision course.) Make the spot you want to aim for not move in your view/windscreen. But don't stress too much about it; You'll float past that spot when you flare anyway. :-D

Once again, Congrats.

I am a fan of following the vasi/papi and landing 1,000' down the runway, unless you need that 1,000' for a safe landing. I look at that as a buffer for wind shear, wake, misjudgment, etc.. If you're on speed there shouldn't be *excessive* float.

I am a fan of following the vasi/papi and landing 1,000' down the runway...

I'm the opposite. I try to put the wheels down on the threshold markings (before the numbers), dead stick from abeam the numbers on every landing. That helps to keep my short field skills sharpened.

If it float past the numbers, or have to touch the throttle, then I view it as a failed approach.

Nice write up. All the feel of flying solo will soon become engrained in your muscles. Keep up the good job and congrats on the solo!

Just FYI....

A 60 knot approach speed is nearly perfect in a Warrior in the no wind conditions we've been having. The POH says 63, but that's for max gross. Approach speed goes down as the square root of weight. Unless you're a really big guy and you had all 48 gal of fuel, you were well under 2100 lb.

You're based at a 2300 foot field. Excess speed is not your friend.

Congrats on the solo. Now you need to do it at Palo Alto. I don't think your instructor did you any favors by taking you to such a long and wide runway.

That excess width may be why you flared high. PAO is 70 feet and HWD is 150. There is a wide runway optical illusion that makes you think you're lower than you really are.

Also, a bit of a tip.... You will not speed the airplane up by just pushing the throttle in. Warriors will make very little speed change, and 172s will actually lose a little speed 'cause the extra prop wash pushes the tail down. You also need to get the nose down and adjust the trim. Since you're describing airspeed control problems, I think you may be under trimming and using excessive yoke pressure. You can fly a Warrior that way, but not well. Two fingers on the yoke, no more.

Last edited:
Congrats, but.. your post title doesn't make any sense! What about that flight would possibly have you thinking that could be your last flight?

Congrats, but.. your post title doesn't make any sense! What about that flight would possibly have you thinking that could be your last flight?

Exaggerating the drama to suck you in? A fleeting thought under the pressure of his first solo landing perhaps?

I thought it might end up being a story with some bent metal involved, or maybe a guy who lost his job. But after reading, it makes sense.

I enjoyed the story.

Maybe he should have called it, "A Writer Soloed Today"? It was very well written and engaging as a reader.

Excellent write up... I like the title, leaves you in suspense. He was trying to ride the "he might end up in the Macy's parking lot" and never fly again...

Had me captivated the whole way through. Great story.

Don't worry about your balloons or thuds. Get back up and keep working the pattern. They will keep getting smoother and smoother!

Thank you all for your support. I have been a lurker here for a long time and have really enjoyed the comradery and diverse view points here. I was trying to convey the excitement mixed with fear and self-doubt right before and during the first solo.

Just stop looking at VASI's. Unless you intend to always give up 1,000ft of runway.

kritchlow said:
I am a fan of following the vasi/papi and landing 1,000' down the runway, unless you need that 1,000' for a safe landing. I look at that as a buffer for wind shear, wake, misjudgment, etc.. If you're on speed there shouldn't be *excessive* float.

timwinters said:
I'm the opposite. I try to put the wheels down on the threshold markings (before the numbers), dead stick from abeam the numbers on every landing. That helps to keep my short field skills sharpened. If it float past the numbers, or have to touch the throttle, then I view it as a failed approach.

Thanks for your comments. I'm learning to use both VASI and other appropriate aim points. I like to see white-white VASI on base then red-white at the beginning of final, before switching to an appropriate aim point, say, the threshold or the number, later. For a long runway like 28L at HWD, I can follow the VASI all the way down and still have plenty of runway left. For the 2400-foot runway at PAO, we aim for the number and are usually red-red before landing. In general, I have found that the lights are usually not bright enough and the runway shape in my windshield is a much better visual marker.

MAKG said:
A 60 knot approach speed is nearly perfect in a Warrior in the no wind conditions we've been having. The POH says 63, but that's for max gross. Approach speed goes down as the square root of weight. Unless you're a really big guy and you had all 48 gal of fuel, you were well under 2100 lb. You're based at a 2300 foot field. Excess speed is not your friend.

Well-taken point. Thanks. My CFI and I add up to less than 300 lbs, so even with both of us, the Warrior is still nowhere near max. To simplify training and have a safety margin in case of unexpected gusts, my CFI has stressed on 65 kts.

MAKG said:
Now you need to do it at Palo Alto. I don't think your instructor did you any favors by taking you to such a long and wide runway. That excess width may be why you flared high. PAO is 70 feet and HWD is 150. There is a wide runway optical illusion that makes you think you're lower than you really are.

We practice at both airfields of course, and you're absolutely right about that optical illusion. I'm getting more and more familiar with it now. I still need a formal solo phase check with another senior CFI and to prepare for that, we will practice landings mostly at PAO. It's nice to have the confidence booster of soloing at HWD. Besides, PAO is usually so busy. Not good when you're number 6 to land.

MAKG said:
Also, a bit of a tip.... You will not speed the airplane up by just pushing the throttle in. Warriors will make very little speed change, and 172s will actually lose a little speed 'cause the extra prop wash pushes the tail down. You also need to get the nose down and adjust the trim. Since you're describing airspeed control problems, I think you may be under trimming and using excessive yoke pressure. You can fly a Warrior that way, but not well. Two fingers on the yoke, no more.

Nice tip about trimming. I need to learn to do that more. My nose was already kind of down--I think--when I was low and slow on final on that solo. I had set power way to low, so I powered up.

I like to think of altitude and speed control as just energy management. Power to change total energy, and pitch to distribute energy. So, although in general power changes altitude and pitch controls speed, in many cases both variables are closely linked. For example, if I'm high and slow, instead of adjust power to change altitude, I just try pitching down first, redistributing some potential energy into kinetic energy instead. If I'm on glide path but too fast, pitching up only might not be sufficient, and might cause an undesired climb. My total energy is likely a bit much, requiring a bit less power as well. I learned this from my CFI and I think it makes sense. (It's a completely different animal putting all this in practice though. :))

Again, thanks for all your comments.

Wonderfully written. I'm usually a "tl;dr" type, but I actually enjoyed reading it. I guess it's because I'm at a similar step in the training process, although pre-solo, so this tapped into my primal flying-sans-CFI fears.

Congratulations on the solo and thanks for the tips gleaned from your write-up.

To simplify training and have a safety margin in case of unexpected gusts, my CFI has stressed on 65 kts.

Yeah, gusts are one of very few reasons why you would land with extra speed. But just half the gust factor. Which has been zero lately. PAO can get some odd winds related to terrain and the bayshore. You can feel for those. But with only 2300 feet, you don't really want to do that in calm winds.

Another reason is ice, but you pick a long runway (like SFO or Moffett) if that's a factor, and land without changing anything you don't have to, especially flaps.

Just landing fast "because it's safer" makes you much more prone to ballooning (because there is a lot more chance to do it), and can cause an accident if you force it down because the end of the runway is coming up and you're still floating.

I think you need better airspeed control on final, and then try slowing it down. With 300 lb of people and another 300 lb of (full) fuel, you're going to be real close to 2100 lb, just over 10% below max gross. You lower the stall speeds and all the V-speeds related to that by 5%, then.

PTS for a normal landing is 400 feet past a "specified point." The runway centerline stripes are each 120 feet long with 80 foot spaces. If you float more than two stripes, you have something to fix. The PAPI at PAO is 300 feet past the threshold (at larger airports, it's usually 1000 feet). And you need 800 feet or so ground roll on a normal landing. Not much room to float. A good no-wind landing in a Warrior should get you off at Twy C; you should not need to go full length. But don't skid the tires trying to push that.

The "energy management" thing is basically correct, but at low speed, the throttle will put almost all the additional energy into potential energy. For a perfect trim system, it will put it all there. If you get behind the power curve, it's entirely possible to keep pushing the throttle in and keep getting slower. It's not natural at all to push the nose down when you're low and slow, but it's necessary.

Last edited:
Wonderful writeup and congratulations! So cool

And you were checking your phone?

I agree this is problematic.

Most accidents occur while taxiing. Eyes outside anytime the airplane is moving, and almost all the time while the prop is spinning (especially in non movement areas, which at PAO is everywhere but the runway and parallel Twy Z). If you must go heads down, STOP, and preferably do it in the run up area.

There is no need to use a cell phone with the engine running as a student pilot. Even beyond, the reasons are very far between, such as getting an instrument clearance on the ground when you can't reach ATC nor FSS by radio.

Ground will often give squawk codes during taxi. Stop, write it down or enter it, then continue taxiing. No GPS programming while moving, period. No other avionics settings either.

Put the cell phone away entirely. There is no way you need it during the flight, and it's a distraction. If your instructor positively must contact you during flight, a handheld tuned to 125.0 will do it.

I've flown out of PAO three times now in the past week. It's been nuts on the ground each time.

Last edited:

Just because you're on the VASI a mile out doesn't mean you have to put it on the 1000 foot markers. With a smaller airplane, you can push over without a lot of consequence if high. I'm a fan of a bit higher/steeper approach. IMO it gives me more options and I'm higher above terrain which is always a good idea.. plus no dragging it in. And if you move onto IFR, being on the PAPI is a good habit to get into. Of course, if it's a really short runway then things change, but a Warrior doesn't need much runway anyways.

I really enjoyed the OP's story. Nicely written:yes:

Back