Why you should ALWAYS bring a gun camping

Question for whoever knows the answer: why aren't 7.62 mm ammo and weapons referred to as thirty caliber, since it's the exact same dimension? It seems like using a round number would be more convenient.

Nato ? (or rather the standardization to 7.62 for rifles early on in the history of the organization)

Question for whoever knows the answer: why aren't 7.62 mm ammo and weapons referred to as thirty caliber, since it's the exact same dimension? It seems like using a round number would be more convenient.
Because the M240 fires the 7.62x51mm NATO round.

There are plenty of .30 caliber rounds but they aren't the same thing nor are they are they a NATO round.

I agree. I am pretty casual about my sun screen use. I tend to end up with a tan at the end of the summer. I know that I should use sun screen, and I do if I remember, but a lot of time I forget. The first thing to burn each year is my bald head. I have had a few spots burned off me for that reason. However, I just read the other day that exposure to sun has been shown to decrease pancreatic cancer. Who would have thought that?

Maybe my Dad shouldn't have used so much sunscreen over the years.... :rolleyes2:

I guess you won't be doing business with us then...

I wonder how many other companies have in their employee manual that it is a gun-free workplace. I would bet quite a few, not that many people read the employee manual. :rofl:

I work in a place where they are prohibited in your vehicle in the parking lot. Not that anybody would ever know one way or the other.

M203, fun toy!

And it has to be a toy, it is made of mostly plastic ;)

A lot of plastic on the M-16 it's mounted under, too.

Have you lobbed a real HE round with one?

Not a toy....

I have, and you are right. It isn't a toy. Not one little bit.

I've found that putting a round from a .38 into firewood soaked with about half a gallon of gasoline works well.

So there is another reason.

Our fire starter of choice in Army ROTC was white phosphorus trip flares. :D Didn't matter how wet the wood, the fire would start.

I work in a place where they are prohibited in your vehicle in the parking lot. Not that anybody would ever know one way or the other.
Interesting. In most states they wouldn't be able to get you for any sort of criminal charge for disobeying that. Not to say they might not be able to fire you. I don't know the laws of your state but I bet if an employer tried to fire someone for that here it'd be easy to get the NRA swinging.

Maybe my Dad shouldn't have used so much sunscreen over the years.... :rolleyes2:
Mine too!
The health club I used to belong to (before I decided it costs too much to be healthy) prohibited firearms on the premises. No rules I'm aware of about firearms in the parking lot. Of course, the idea of packing in gym shorts and T-shirt is slightly chilling, anyways! Is that a pistol in your shorts, or are you just happy to see me!:hairraise:

Of course, the idea of packing in gym shorts and T-shirt is slightly chilling, anyways! Is that a pistol in your shorts, or are you just happy to see me!:hairraise:
I often do it - mostly when I go there at 1am. I wear a t-shirt and running shorts and there is no way anyone would notice the firearm. Carrying really isn't as difficult as people think.

I often do it - mostly when I go there at 1am. I wear a t-shirt and running shorts and there is no way anyone would notice the firearm. Carrying really isn't as difficult as people think.
I admit that I was thinking of your earlier comment when I wrote that. Note that I was most emphatically not imagining your body with a pistol strapped to it, however!:D Me, I wear Speedos and Lycra, so I couldn't get away with it! :) (And if that statement doesn't cause nightmares in the kiddies, I don't know what would!:hairraise:)

Last edited:
Because the M240 fires the 7.62x51mm NATO round.

There are plenty of .30 caliber rounds but they aren't the same thing nor are they are they a NATO round.

So there is some difference other than the diameter?

The short answer is: yes.

The long answer is: yes, of course there is...

Hope that helped...

Would you like your thirty cal in 30-06, 308, 762 or some other flavour?

We used to shoot surplus 7.62mm cartridges in a couple of different .308 rifles. Worked just fine. There are some minor differences between the two, but it's been too long for me to remember what they are.

The one to the left is the 308 (7.62x51), the the one second from the left is the 30-06 (7.62x63). The two to the right are also 30 cal - one's Russian (rimmed base), and I've already forgotten what the other one was.

Most obvious difference is length, but they use different propellants, different weight bullets, different dimensions/proportions in the cases, etc.

30-cal-shells.jpg

The one to the left is the 308 (7.62x51),

I don't think that .308 Winchester and 7.62 NATO are synonymous either. Different nations have slightly different specs for the 'standard' ammo and all have minor differences to the stock 'civilian' version.

I don't think that .308 Winchester and 7.62 NATO are synonymous either. Different nations have slightly different specs for the 'standard' ammo and all have minor differences to the stock 'civilian' version.

They're not, and depending on what you're doing the differences can actually be pretty important. I'm going off memory, but I think the NATO rounds have a lower maximum pressure, different headspacing, slightly thicker brass (impt. to know if you're reloading), and a few other seemingly minor (but potentially important) differences.

But, as I'm fond of saying, they're close enough for government work. :)

I think they'd all hurt if they hit you....

I certainly never got into a BB fight again.... :)

Had a kid come through here yesterday: BB through the eye into the noggin taking out some important real-estate along the way. Junior is chewing on a plastic tube right now. Yes, guns do kill people.

Had a kid come through here yesterday: BB through the eye into the noggin taking out some important real-estate along the way. Junior is chewing on a plastic tube right now. Yes, guns do kill people.

If you're allowed to say, what were the injuries and what is the outlook?

PS - I came ridiculously close to that myself. It was close enough that, many years later (damn - I'm old enough to write that), it gives me the old chill down the spine reading your post. Guns, no matter what variety, aren't thing to #*!# around with.

They say that good judgment comes from living through bad judgment....

So the BB gun jumped up and shot the kid all by itself? Pretty amazing. Bet you see a lot more accidents from lawn and garden equipment than guns. Maybe they should be banned too?

Me too.

The point is that it truly doesn't matter what caliber, grains, fpm or bullet weight. Put in the wrong spot, the result will be bad.

Right you are.

If you wouldn't mind, and again only if it's appropriate, would you mind sending me a pm as what happens?

I mind guns a lot less than the utterly stupid and vapid arguments used to justify them. There are lots of really good reasons to own and carry guns, though I haven't read any in this thread.

The short answer is: yes.

The long answer is: yes, of course there is...

Hope that helped...

We used to shoot surplus 7.62mm cartridges in a couple of different .308 rifles. Worked just fine. There are some minor differences between the two, but it's been too long for me to remember what they are.

They're not, and depending on what you're doing the differences can actually be pretty important. I'm going off memory, but I think the NATO rounds have a lower maximum pressure, different headspacing, slightly thicker brass (impt. to know if you're reloading), and a few other seemingly minor (but potentially important) differences.

But, as I'm fond of saying, they're close enough for government work. :)

Interesting. I had always thought that .308 Winchester and 7.62 mm NATO were basically one and the same. Sure wouldn't have heasitated to drop the military round in a bolt gun chambered for the .308. Just like 5.56 mm NATO and .223 Remington are about the same. Might be some differences in the bullet, but I can hand load about anything in the civilian version.

I mind guns a lot less than the utterly stupid and vapid arguments used to justify them. There are lots of really good reasons to own and carry guns, though I haven't read any in this thread.

None, hunh?

Oh -- sorry, this is the "Guess what the teacher's thinking" game. B)

Interesting. I had always thought that .308 Winchester and 7.62 mm NATO were basically one and the same.

As mentioned 'good enough for goverment work'.

Even the various nato countries specs where different enough that belts and clips are not freely exchangable, particularly in full-auto weapons. Cartridges fired in the roller-locked blowback designs were different from the ones fired in the gas operated autos.

Probably makes little difference in any bolt-action rifle.

As mentioned 'good enough for goverment work'.

Even the various nato countries specs where different enough that belts and clips are not freely exchangable, particularly in full-auto weapons. Cartridges fired in the roller-locked blowback designs were different from the ones fired in the gas operated autos.

Probably makes little difference in any bolt-action rifle.

Good examples. As I understand it (and I'm just a book reader on this one) most of the modern, commercial bolt guns have the throats cut deep enough that the difference in 308 and 7.2 x 51 is not enough to worry about. The headspacing difference may cause a problem but probably not unless the chamber is really loose. That or I'm confusing the .223 and 5.56 cartridge differences.

I'm just using the 06 case these days so I don't worry 'bout those flash-in-the-pan newby cartridges...I do load a nifty 8mm-06 round for the Mauser...

Even a pellet gun will "hurt."

The real question is -- will it hurt enough for you to stop doing what you were doing?

A pellet gun or a BB gun can kill someone, paralyze or otherwise similarly injure someone. They are weapons not toys.

A pellet gun or a BB gun can kill someone, paralyze or otherwise similarly injure someone. They are weapons not toys.
I have killed with a pellet gun. It was a head shot and there was brain ooze. I actually hit my target in the eye, putting it out, then the brain squirted out. It was a slow and gory death.

BUT THAT SQUIRREL WILL NEVER EAT OUT OF MY BIRD FEEDERS AGAIN!

29 so far this year.
I have killed with a pellet gun. It was a head shot and there was brain ooze. I actually hit my target in the eye, putting it out, then the brain squirted out. It was a slow and gory death.

BUT THAT SQUIRREL WILL NEVER EAT OUT OF MY BIRD FEEDERS AGAIN!

Sure they are -- probably once in 300 times. That's not good enough odds to use a pellet gun for self defense.

1 hit, 1 stop is the goal. Optimal would be a size 42 baseball bat with a full swing, but baseball bats are hard to conceal and draw.

My son killed with one shot to the head from a pellet gun. It dropped instantly, no slow death there. But the payback for that death was long and agonizing after that skunk spilled his liquid all over our deck in front of our kitchen door!:eek:

Back