Why haven't you been to a POA fly-in ?

I went to RR several years back for the first time. Even this old guy was welcomed in by the young’ins, except that guy that kept chasing me with the chainsaw! Even saw a moon out by the runway. And it wasn’t an eclipse. Talk about messing up someone’s landing sight picture!

I went to RR several years back for the first time. Even this old guy was welcomed in by the young’ins, except that guy that kept chasing me with the chainsaw! Even saw a moon out by the runway. And it wasn’t an eclipse. Talk about messing up someone’s landing sight picture!

Crazier yet is, at Kentucky Dam a Buckeye and a Wolverine were the only ones at the bar drinking, and there wasn't even a fight.
(Sorry, not sorry, about the last three Novembers though)

there's enough scooters and ebikes at RR to start a gang. not a very tough gang, but a gang nonetheless.
From Websters Dictionary:
Clique (noun) "as in a crowd"
Synonym: gang

Case closed.

This was my first RR with the group (we've flown there a number of times before). The "sigh up" was pretty easy to find on the forum. We had a great time, and already have RR25 on the calendar.

Never really been interested in fly-ins of any type or size.

Signed up for rough river last year ,had to cancel due to weather. Will be looking to go to RR next year.

eman1200 needs to start the “What weekend for Rough River 2025 early” We may need to reserve the whole bleeding Resort.

Oh dude the wives were significantly more wild and crazy than the husbands this year. I don't know what the hell that game was they were playing in the cabin but I've never heard some of the octaves that we're coming out of that cabin.

Also worth pointing out that they started drinking before the guys. They're going to turn this into their event
Not to mention the blinds and drapes on the cabin windows were tightly closed. I’m tempted to bring my old ski patrol First Aid pack in the event some catastrophe in the game.

But if you really want a good endorsement we now have a growing contingent of wives who not only agree to go but actually want to go to these things. It's a serious situation, god only knows what they're all doing in that cabin while we're busying sitting around the fire and drinking. If trends continue they may soon outnumber us. Please start coming to the fly-ins.
I want this reposted because I too am amazed and pleased to see so many SOs coming and enjoying these flyins. This year's RR was fantastic in this regard. My wife too now looks forward to going.
Those of us that have attended many years or just one or two of these want newbies. The events need newbies. You will be welcome, you'll meet good people, you might even learn something aviation wise you hadn't known before. If you can make a POA flyin by air, car or whatever, you'll be glad you did.

I had been nervous for a few years that the ladies felt comfortable, actually enjoyed themselves and had something to do. you see, ladies don't typically look at "talking about planes, cooking burgers and drinking beer" as "doing something". I wanted to make sure they weren't miserable but as it turns out they get together and seem to have a blast doing their thing as well as hanging out with the boys. especially after the last couple of years, I am no longer concerned that they are having fun.

I want this reposted because I too am amazed and pleased to see so many SOs coming and enjoying these flyins. This year's RR was fantastic in this regard. My wife too now looks forward to going.
Those of us that have attended many years or just one or two of these want newbies. The events need newbies. You will be welcome, you'll meet good people, you might even learn something aviation wise you hadn't known before. If you can make a POA flyin by air, car or whatever, you'll be glad you did.
And you will learn the secret POA handshake!

Wife and I flew down to Gaston's a while ago... like, a long while ago... like, @jesse showing up in a Fly Baby ago. I'd love to go again, the timing just hasn't worked out year after year. When I did decide to go, it was impossible to get a cabin... and I know better than to share one with any of you lot (and if you knew me, you'd feel the same way).

The first time at Rough River did not disappoint, I thoroughly enjoyed my day there and met several new folks. There’s something special about getting together in person and the cool thing is, many are strangers up to that point, but it’s like we’ve known each other forever.

It was great to see @cowman, @Lance F, @Dave Theisen and @EdFred again, and meet his new wife. @SixPapaCharlie was just as great in person as I expected. @eman1200 is always great to see and I finally got to meet @Jim K and @ArrowFlyer86, along with @Skyrys62 and many others! This is indeed a great group of folks, I couldn’t agree more.

I think I’ve been to 3 or 4 POA fly-in’s over the years with @Bill (yes we need to get you out of neutral:p) here in the southeast, plus the members who happen to be in town on occasion and are available for a lunch meetup. I’ve met some great people on here. I really did enjoy when @Salty and I spent the day flying around central Florida and met up with @Half Fast for lunch. That really was a great day! Please, always feel free to attend these events. They’re wide open for everyone!

EVERYONE gets the invite to ALL of the fly-ins. That’s not cliquish.

NEW people show up every year and then return thereafter when possible. That’s not cliquish.

Wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, all show up and make new friends. That’s not cliquish.

Maybe you’re confusing “core people who participate on a regular basis” with “cliquish”?
Well, everyone also gets invited to the high school dance, but we all know how that goes.

Look, I’m not complaining. I do realize I could indeed participate.
I’m just answering the question of why more folks don’t come.

And yes…. POA can be a hostile place for some new comers asking newbie questions. Not always, but sometimes for certain.
Personally I don’t care about that. I’ve had a great career in aviation, and thankfully I’m nearing retirement.
I just truly see some really mean responses to folks.
I’m not a sensitive person, but sheesh…. Some here need to treat folks with a bit of kindness. That does not always happen.

The first time at Rough River did not disappoint, I thoroughly enjoyed my day there and met several new folks. There’s something special about getting together in person and the cool thing is, many are strangers up to that point, but it’s like we’ve known each other forever.

It was great to see @cowman, @Lance F, @Dave Theisen and @EdFred again, and meet his new wife. @SixPapaCharlie was just as great in person as I expected. @eman1200 is always great to see and I finally got to meet @Jim K and @ArrowFlyer86, along with @Skyrys62 and many others! This is indeed a great group of folks, I couldn’t agree more.
Don’t forget about me :cool:

I wasn’t sure what to expect at my first fly in but I am so glad that I went and I (we) had a great time. Meeting new people can be work and nerve wrecking but every single person has been super friendly and went out of their way to introduce themselves and spend time talking to everyone. In general I’m pretty bad with remembering names and handles, sorry about that.

This was if I recall my third fly-in event (excluding lunches and Oshkosh), and seeing familiar faces made this so comfortable and fun. The only thing I’d want is to make it a little longer so it isn’t as rushed (this time we did 3 nights which was better than the previous 2 nighters). What I noticed about this fly in is that many people arrived a full day early so that was an extra evening of fun and allowed us to be better rested for the following day(s).

If you like aviation and talking about it and alcoholic beverages (not a must ;)), you really got to attend one of these events. You come, you do your thing, typically it’s 8/8:30am breakfast and 6pm BBQ, hang out around the field around 11/12 if you want to fly somewhere for lunch. Pick and choose what you want to do, go back to your room if and when needed. For those of you with tighter schedules, you can come and leave as needed.

We loved playing games in the cabin with the ladies, we all laughed so much, and the pineapple moonshine yesssss. Next time I’ll bring my hat. Thank you ladies :cheers: and thank you to everyone else, for the bourbons and whiskeys, I enjoyed all of our conversations, especially the one about gliders.

It's best for everyone if I avoid large gatherings of cool kids :D

Just have zero desire to socialize. Always feel there is something better to do wirh my time than hanging out with people.

Groups of people are even worse.

Yes, I'm probably missing an important gene because I understand that as humans social interaction is important. I understand the concept and sometimes feel a little jealous of others who enjoy hanging out in groups.

I dont even interact on this forum, though I occasional post and comment. Once I post something I never go back and read any follow up on the thread.

I understand I'm probably worse off because of my perspective but have zero motivation to change.

Maybe too many years of forced group activity on business that has helped me become anti-social. That plus being raised in the Air Force where I stopped making friends because it hurt too much when we moved every two years.

I'm a product of my environment.
AND, I happen to know that Gary is a really nice guy in person who's easy to be around. Give yourself a chance Gary, sorry I haven't been back down to CA in a few years, I haven't had time to fly much.

At rough river this weekend, the thing I kept saying to myself and others is "What a great group of people this is".

My first POA flyin was Gaston's in 2015. I flew in with a friend in case the group wasn't interested in outsiders, I would have someone I could hang with and not feel dumb.

Before I left, I was added to several peoples' phones and they were offering to pick me up at a satellite field since I wasn't up for the grass strip at the time.
We landed and hopped into a Piper Comanche with a total stranger who I now consider to be a good friend and he's the reason I own a Comanche today instead of a slow ass Grumman or worse, a high wing.

I have met so many previously faceless people on this forum that I now call my friend, and interact frequently with when I have questions or want to BS.
To be honest, I have more friends from POA than I ever made in college or work.

Point is If there are people here that see 6Y9, Gaston's, Rough river, the East coast lunch crew, etc and aren't sure, go for it. show up.

A lot of us on here probably come off as jerks at times but I have never met anyone on here in person where I felt that way.
I dunno, I was just reflecting on the weekend and I hope if you are on here and you see a meet up that you are able to get to but aren't sure, just go.

These really are some great people. And it goes beyond my flying friends. I came home and my wife went down the list asking if this person was there and this one and that one and their wife, etc.
She has made a lot of friends as a result.

Go to a POA fly-in. You will leave with some really incredible friends.

You will also probably meet some high wing pilots. Be nice to those guys. They're trying.
Okay, my wife and I were among the "new kids" at RR this past weekend. I've wanted to attend one of these fly-ins for a while and this year things lined up and we were able to make it. Showing up someplace where there's an "established group" is uncomfortable for anyone... that's completely normal! I'd like to think that I'm particularly bad at this because I struggle remembering faces and names. I also get nervous in groups so every conversation has greater potential for personal embarrassment. Well, I'm SO GLAD that I overcame my discomfort and went to this event!

When we landed, X3 Skier was on the CTAF with his handheld and helped us unload the plane and take it to the lodge. He didn't judge my sketchy landing... or the fact that my left cowl-plug was dangling by its nylon strap from my door. He waited for us at the lodge and then took us to the "party cabin" to drop off our meager offerings and introduce us to some of the others.

We stayed two nights and without exception, everyone in the group was friendly and welcoming towards us. I expected that we all would have aviation in common, but it was fascinating how similar we were in many other respects. For one thing, most of the group are introverts who are humble, humorous, and self-deprecating... but at the same time, knowledgeable, competent, and confident. Nobody came off as a "blowhard" (my wife's observation). In general, everyone there seemed to have "earned" their way into aviation and as a result they seem to appreciate it more. It was also alarming to see how many people knew their way around the fields of information technology and data analysis.

To those of you who were there last weekend, thank you for your hospitality! To those who weren't there, I hope to meet you sometime soon!

P.S. Over the past weekend, I found out that some airplanes have their wings attached to the *bottom* of the fuselage... I don't think I could ever pitch my tent under something that low to the ground!

Personally I don’t care about that. I’ve had a great career in aviation, and thankfully I’m nearing retirement.

Perhaps that's part of the problem - you seem to be making some sort of connection between your career and this message board. The creation of PoA predates me, but as I understand it the purpose was to bring people together that were enthusiastic about GA, and fly-ins were central to that. Sure we have folks that are here just to ask/answer questions about owning, 61.51, aviation careers, etc...but the social aspect was part of PoA's DNA since its inception. I've been to Rough River a few times, and the best thing about it (IMO) is that you get a bunch of people from all different backgrounds and experiences coming together to a random spot in Kentucky, and we always manage to have a fantastic time. Nobody cares what you do in real life, what airplane you own (or don't - I'm always driving in or bumming a ride!), whether you're introverted or extroverted, or whether you drink - we just have fun in a cool location and BS about airplanes. Even the wives have a good time!

At my first fly-in, one of the guys I got along with most was OkieFlyer. That dude is country through and through, and I've been a big city boy my whole life. I'm a Longhorn, and he's a stinkin' Sooner. But by the end of that three days I would have given him the shirt off my back, and I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual. There's something about aviation that generates those sort of connections, and I think that's pretty cool.

Back